UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> leg kick = bicep punch?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/13/13 6:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MDKSDMF
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

another strange but effective target is the collar bone. it only takes like around 5 lbs of pressure to break and u can do it with a punch or kick. ive never done it myself tho. and in response to the topic i think a bicep punch would work because it has the similar effect as the charlie horse or leg kick. But if u hit any target enough times in a row, its gunna hurt.
9/13/13 6:44 PM
Johnny D
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was thinking this when in the last episode of tuff Tate was having the girls hold that arm out there to gage distance, in boxing gyms we were always told if anyone ever has a lazy jab or holds that lead hand out like that to punch that fucking bicep as hard as you can, I've seen fights where guys arms go limp because of it. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 7:01 PM
Willin
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael should incorporate this into his GnP training for Rashad. Top control knees to the arms removes Rashad's entire wrestling and striking game. Phone Post
9/13/13 7:45 PM
rumble_fish
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Punching the arm is pretty common practice in boxing for in fighters. If you do a good job your opponent will feel it in the later rounds
9/13/13 7:48 PM
Bobby Lupo
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny D - I was thinking this when in the last episode of tuff Tate was having the girls hold that arm out there to gage distance, in boxing gyms we were always told if anyone ever has a lazy jab or holds that lead hand out like that to punch that fucking bicep as hard as you can, I've seen fights where guys arms go limp because of it. Phone Post 3.0

Give that Gypsy a dead arm
9/13/13 8:53 PM
jcblass
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul Vunak has been doing arm distractions for awhile. They have their basis in Filipino Martial Arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovr12bHRYn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrENaXK90aQ
9/13/13 9:00 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jcblass - Paul Vunak has been doing arm distractions for awhile. They have their basis in Filipino Martial Arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovr12bHRYn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrENaXK90aQ

Yep. One of the main things you learn doing kali. Same concept goes for blade, rattan, or open hand combat.

9/13/13 9:03 PM
GC111
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny D - I was thinking this when in the last episode of tuff Tate was having the girls hold that arm out there to gage distance, in boxing gyms we were always told if anyone ever has a lazy jab or holds that lead hand out like that to punch that fucking bicep as hard as you can, I've seen fights where guys arms go limp because of it. Phone Post 3.0

Wait a minute. Everyone was complaining about Klitchko doing that in his last fight. I don't know if it's legal in boxing to hold your arm like that as some said it isn't. But would punching the bicep counter that?
9/13/13 9:09 PM
CaptainAhab
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People kick a lot harder than they punch. The nerves on the outside of the legs are larger, more stationary and exposed targets. And you don't walk on your arms. So, no.
9/13/13 9:16 PM
CrazyPope
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chickenwing - I've often wondered if a noogie would work in the ufc. if done correctly, it could prove to be devestating

I've thought the same about a purple nurple. I've had a couple that forced me to tap out.
9/13/13 9:24 PM
Johnny D
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GC111 -

Wait a minute. Everyone was complaining about Klitchko doing that in his last fight. I don't know if it's legal in boxing to hold your arm like that as some said it isn't. But would punching the bicep counter that?
I can't speak for today's professional boxers but in the 80's and 90's in amateur competition if you were dumb enough to put it out there there were plenty of fighters who would hook that bicep at any chance. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 9:30 PM
Johnny D

GC111 -

Funny you mentioned Klitchko, who trained Klitchko ?? The first time I ever learned to do it was from a Kronk trainer. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 9:32 PM
CharlesLewis
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaptainAhab - People kick a lot harder than they punch. The nerves on the outside of the legs are larger, more stationary and exposed targets. And you don't walk on your arms. So, no.

It may not be AS effective, but it has it's place in a bareknuckle fight, and to a lesser extent, in ring sports. Spar with someone who knows how to do it, and I promise you'll see what I mean. My Kali instructor has a set of Panantukan DVDs, and is very dangerous with these. He will absolutely WRECK your lead hand if you adopt a normal stance. 

9/13/13 9:39 PM
CaptainAhab
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CharlesLewis - 
CaptainAhab - People kick a lot harder than they punch. The nerves on the outside of the legs are larger, more stationary and exposed targets. And you don't walk on your arms. So, no.

It may not be AS effective, but it has it's place in a bareknuckle fight, and to a lesser extent, in ring sports. Spar with someone who knows how to do it, and I promise you'll see what I mean. My Kali instructor has a set of Panantukan DVDs, and is very dangerous with these. He will absolutely WRECK your lead hand if you adopt a normal stance. 

I'm sure there are some guys who can make it work under the right circumstancle, but I doubt its overall practicality. I don't get in too many 1920 style boxing matches, so the bare knuckle thing isn't a huge selling point for me.
9/13/13 10:39 PM
GC111

Johnny D - 
GC111 -

Funny you mentioned Klitchko, who trained Klitchko ?? The first time I ever learned to do it was from a Kronk trainer. Phone Post 3.0

Well I meant Klitchko was holding his arm out and his opponent had no answer. I believe Emmanuel Steward (RIP) trained him.
9/13/13 10:43 PM
Johnny D

CaptainAhab -
CharlesLewis - 

I'm sure there are some guys who can make it work under the right circumstancle, but I doubt its overall practicality. I don't get in too many 1920 style boxing matches, so the bare knuckle thing isn't a huge selling point for me.
It's not some "real effective" technique that always works. First of all I think it's dirty and poor sportsmanship in boxing like raking laces across the face, which was popular back then too, they didn't always tape those laces like they do now at amateur events. If you do it you have to hit it just right to be real effective, otherwise at the least its more of an intimidating thing because its aggressive, maybe after a while the guys arm will start to hurt and you take away some of that arm. But if you can hit it just right it's a killer. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 10:46 PM
Johnny D

GC111 -
Johnny D - 
GC111 -

Well I meant Klitchko was holding his arm out and his opponent had no answer. I believe Emmanuel Steward (RIP) trained him.
I thought you meant Klitchko was hitting his arm, I never seen the fight. And I thought it would be strange for professionals to be doing it, it's dirty. I only seen it at the amateur level. Phone Post 3.0
9/14/13 1:39 AM
Tiresias
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willin -  Why hit a guys shoulder when you can be punching his head? Similar risk, way less reward to repeatedly punch an arm. The leg kick also works because you can land flushly on a planted leg. Striking the arm of a moving opponent would have much less impact since it's not planted. Phone Post

LOL @ not planting your arm.

9/14/13 2:34 AM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The bicep is more of a balancing muscle.. The Deltoid and forearms (Brachioradialis, Flexor carpi radialis, Extensor carpi radialis longus) would probably be more effective than the bicep and like stated before, would be an easier target.
9/14/13 2:38 AM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can even shut an arm down by striking the armpit (Corocobrachialis).

Seriously, study the Shaolin 36 chambers. It's an excellent anatomy lesson for strikers.
9/14/13 4:35 AM
Dbulletproof
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Arnis/Kali/Escrime they have a shot called a 'gunt'

It's like a two knuckle punch to the inside of the arm, used commonly to intercept a jab. If you get someone with it dead on, it gives you a crazy dead arm.

If you look at some of Dan Inosanto's videos you can see him do it on there.

Never seen it applied in MMA though, come to think of it, never seen any Fillipino martial art applied in MMA.
9/14/13 4:35 AM
CharlesLewis
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny D - 
CaptainAhab -
CharlesLewis - 

It's not some "real effective" technique that always works. First of all I think it's dirty and poor sportsmanship in boxing like raking laces across the face, which was popular back then too, they didn't always tape those laces like they do now at amateur events. If you do it you have to hit it just right to be real effective, otherwise at the least its more of an intimidating thing because its aggressive, maybe after a while the guys arm will start to hurt and you take away some of that arm. But if you can hit it just right it's a killer. Phone Post 3.0

It depends on what you mean by "real effective". I've never shut down an arm completely, but I have gotten a reaction and I would go so far as to say it has affected the outcome of more than one sparring encounter. As for dirty, context is everything. Would I do it to a new student or a stranger, no. But I have plenty of partners who like to turn it up a notch, spar bareknuckle, with shoes, and in that context raking the laces would probably elicit a laugh and a "nice one".  But then again I feel the same way about chasse/oblique kicks...

I've trained with some crazy fucks now that I think about it. 

9/14/13 8:46 AM
Johnny D

CharlesLewis -
Johnny D - 
CaptainAhab -
CharlesLewis - 

It depends on what you mean by "real effective". I've never shut down an arm completely, but I have gotten a reaction and I would go so far as to say it has affected the outcome of more than one sparring encounter. As for dirty, context is everything. Would I do it to a new student or a stranger, no. But I have plenty of partners who like to turn it up a notch, spar bareknuckle, with shoes, and in that context raking the laces would probably elicit a laugh and a "nice one".  But then again I feel the same way about chasse/oblique kicks...

I've trained with some crazy fucks now that I think about it. 

I was at a amateur boxing event in Pontiac Michigan and a guy from Davison would push me against the ropes, put his left hand behind my head to pull it down while he raked my face with the laces on his right glove. As usually the trainers from each team were doing ref duty and that guy was from Davison too, of course he wasn't doing much about it to give his guy an edge. It hurt like hell, felt like a rope burn on my face after a few times and fucked up one of my eyes pretty good. We were pretty pissed off about it so me and some friends waited for that asshole in the parking lot after the event, I don't think he was to enthusiastic about raking opponents faces with his laces after that. Phone Post 3.0
9/14/13 10:05 AM
Zverrona

Bobby Lupo - See Marciano, Rocky for effective punches to an opponents arms early in a fight rendering them quasi useless late in a fight.

Yup he would purposely punch arms to pop blood vessels making it hard to keep your hands up later in a fight Phone Post
9/14/13 10:21 AM
Johnny D

Zverrona -
Bobby Lupo - See Marciano, Rocky for effective punches to an opponents arms early in a fight rendering them quasi useless late in a fight.

Yup he would purposely punch arms to pop blood vessels making it hard to keep your hands up later in a fight Phone Post
Marciano would bust his opponents up, I definitely think its more of an old school tactic, I can't think of of anyone or any instance where its really been implemented in pro boxing today, at least not like Marciano would do it. A lot of people today, especially on an MMA forum, don't know the particulars of early boxing history. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.