UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo: Mendes doesn't deserve rematch yet

9/15/13 4:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Although Chad Mendes is an impressive 4-0 since his first loss to Jose Aldo, the champion doesn't believes Mendes has done enough yet to merit another title shot:

"If I were Lamas, I wouldn’t fight anyone and just wait for my opportunity," he said. "He was supposed to fight me already but then (Anthony) Pettis got himself in the middle. Lamas should wait, this is his moment. But it they decide to do a rematch between Lamas and Swanson to see who fights me, that’s ok too."

Asked about Chad Mendes, who has knocked out four opponents since losing to Jose Aldo on 2012, the Brazilian said he’s not quite there yet, despite the fact that he has finished the likes of Clay Guida and Darren Elkins.

"Chad Mendes is still starting, haven’t fought anyone ranked yet, only fought guys that are not that good," he said. "He’s coming off good wins, but he hasn’t beaten good guys. So I believe the next two should be Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson."

read entire article...

Four straights wins is impressive, however Aldo may be right as Mendes has finished four straight fighters, none of which are considered near the top of the featherweight division.

9/15/13 5:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed but there's no doubt Mendes is becoming a monster. Phone Post
9/15/13 5:02 PM
RJJH
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love how he basically calls Guida a nobody. I didnt think I could like Aldo more!

9/15/13 5:04 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
He knows Mendes is his biggest threat he wants to go to lw. Phone Post
9/15/13 5:05 PM
theoutsiders
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Refuse to Lose - Agreed but there's no doubt Mendes is becoming a monster. Phone Post
Yeah man he's looked like a fucking killer. Much improved over the first aldo bout.

However Aldo still takes it. No question. Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 5:11 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
theoutsiders -
Refuse to Lose - Agreed but there's no doubt Mendes is becoming a monster. Phone Post
Yeah man he's looked like a fucking killer. Much improved over the first aldo bout.

However Aldo still takes it. No question. Phone Post 3.0
Idk. I think Mendes will be a much better fighter than aldo when everything's said and done. Also been doing mma me than twice as long. Yes I know Chad wrestled but now we're really seeing his whole game hit a stride. He's got me potential than most any fighter in mma now. Phone Post
9/15/13 5:13 PM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I swing from Aldo's sack hard, but Mendes is much evolved thanks to that one pot head coach guy ;-) Phone Post
9/15/13 5:20 PM
AlexinTO

I remember Aldo grabbing the cage to prevent what looked to be a certain takedown from Mendes.

Seconds later as they broke away he kneed Mendes in the head and that was the end of the fight.

Am I wrong in thinking that Aldo got the stoppage largely due to grabbing the fence illegally and saving himself from the takedown.

Perhaps the fight would have been much closer and gone a lot longer if Aldo has been taken down.
Am I not remembering how it went down properly or was Mendes screwed over in a big way? Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 5:23 PM
RJJH
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fence grab??? what fence grab???

9/15/13 5:23 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Dr Doom - Aldo ducking Mendes will be a strong theme in this thread because people are morons.

Mendes looks like a beast but Aldo is right - Lamas and Cub are ahead of him, especially Lamas.

There are too many rematches in the UFC as it is, someone who was KOd in the first round should only be given another chance if they are unquestionably the top contender. That is far from the case here.

We could either watch the champ vs two guys he has already KOd or a fresh challenger. Seems like a fairly easy decision to me.

I have respect for Aldo defending Lama's status as the top contender too.
Cub got koed in the first much more violently. Lamas yes but Imo he loses to Mendes handedly Phone Post
9/15/13 5:24 PM
RJJH

Dr Doom - Aldo ducking Mendes will be a strong theme in this thread because people are morons.

Mendes looks like a beast but Aldo is right - Lamas and Cub are ahead of him, especially Lamas.

There are too many rematches in the UFC as it is, someone who was KOd in the first round should only be given another chance if they are unquestionably the top contender. That is far from the case here.

We could either watch the champ vs two guys he has already KOd or a fresh challenger. Seems like a fairly easy decision to me.

I have respect for Aldo defending Lama's status as the top contender too.

agreed!

9/15/13 5:24 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
RJJH -

Phone Post
9/15/13 5:25 PM
RJJH

9/15/13 5:26 PM
RJJH

Edited: 09/15/13 5:25 PM

this is one of my favorite MMA pictures

9/15/13 5:27 PM
RJJH

caseharts - 
RJJH -

Phone Post

9/15/13 5:30 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
RJJH -

Phone Post
9/15/13 5:32 PM
RJJH

????????????

9/15/13 5:34 PM
theoutsiders
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts -
RJJH -

Phone Post
LOL I've definitely seen that running GIF but never noticed the other guy flipping him the bird.

Excuse the noob but who are those two cats? Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 5:40 PM
Sukulaku

theoutsiders - 
caseharts -
RJJH -

Phone Post
LOL I've definitely seen that running GIF but never noticed the other guy flipping him the bird.

Excuse the noob but who are those two cats? Phone Post 3.0

Nate Quarry is doing the running man and Kalib Starnes is doing the actual running and flipping.

Watch the fight. It's legendary.
9/15/13 5:56 PM
Jesus KO'd stayrad

AlexinTO - I remember Aldo grabbing the cage to prevent what looked to be a certain takedown from Mendes.

Seconds later as they broke away he kneed Mendes in the head and that was the end of the fight.

Am I wrong in thinking that Aldo got the stoppage largely due to grabbing the fence illegally and saving himself from the takedown.

Perhaps the fight would have been much closer and gone a lot longer if Aldo has been taken down.
Am I not remembering how it went down properly or was Mendes screwed over in a big way? Phone Post 3.0
Your remembering it exactly how it went down, Aldo would of been on the may without grabbing the fence and he's knows that. The fight might of ended the same way but not in the 1st like he got to by grabbing the fence Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 6:08 PM
DanteHec
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlexinTO - I remember Aldo grabbing the cage to prevent what looked to be a certain takedown from Mendes.

Yes he did do that but come on that doesn't equal a certain victory for Mendez if he didn't lol Phone Post
9/15/13 6:12 PM

You remember it incorrectly.

Aldo did grab the cage. However the KO did not happen right after that. After the cage grab Mendes got a hold of Aldo again, in the same exact position, without the cage grab. He picked Aldo up and attempted the same exact takedown and FAILED. Aldo hit the mat on his knees for less than a second and popped right back up.

Dont try and rewrite history. Go watch it. Aldo stuffed all of his TDs with and without the cage grab. Phone Post
9/15/13 6:15 PM

Jesus KO'd stayrad -

Your remembering it exactly how it went down, Aldo would of been on the may without grabbing the fence and he's knows that. The fight might of ended the same way but not in the 1st like he got to by grabbing the fence Phone Post 3.0
Yeah no. You are both wrong. That is not how it happened. There were multiple exchanges between the grab, and the finish. Phone Post
9/15/13 6:28 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlexinTO - I remember Aldo grabbing the cage to prevent what looked to be a certain takedown from Mendes.

That's not quite how it went down. Mendes attempted that takedown with a little under a minute, like 40-50 seconds, left in the fight. Moments after Mendes attempted the takedown that was stopped by the fence grab he attempted the exact same takedown. It was like a carbon copy. The 2nd was only successful in getting Aldo to a knee, which would be typical of trying to take someone like Aldo down like that, from which Aldo popped immediately back up. Mendes maintained the body lock and had Aldo against the cage and with about 10-15 seconds left attempted a similar takedown but Aldo stopped that one too. They spun around against the cage and I don't know if Mendes lost his grip because of the last takedown attempt or Aldo managed to break it but a couple seconds later Aldo was spinning around and cracking Mendes in the face with that knee.

I find it laughable people act like that 1st takedown is the difference between Mendes winning and losing the fight. Taking someone down and keeping them down from that position is difficult as it is since their arms and legs are free. Top that off with the fact that Aldo has always shown cat like reflexes and was stuffing Mendes takedowns left and right. Had Mendes gotten Aldo down on that 1st attempt, it's highly likely Aldo would've popped up like he did when Mendes tried the same takedown moments later. Funny how people act like Aldo would have suddenly become a sand bag and not popped back up like he always does.

The takedown didn't do anything to change the outcome of that fight. Mendes really didn't have of anything for Aldo.

Aldo is also right that Ricardo and Cub are both in line ahead of Mendes.

Having said that, Chad has done a tremendous job lately and he's shown improvement so if Aldo is still the FW champ when he gets another title shot (which shouldn't be long) things may well go differently.
9/15/13 6:31 PM
showtime SNAPPED my toothpick
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Technically Aldo is right but it's only because despite his number 1 ranking, the UFC has been giving mendes people outside the top ten. They have been slow tracking him for some reason but it doesn't matter because I'm sure mendes is happy racking up Kotns while improving. Also aldo has reason to be scared, mendes is much improved Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.