UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why is Mayweather afraid to fight Pacquiao?

9/16/13 2:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trane
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a Pacquiao fan but have to admit that Floyd is the superior boxer and would most likely outclass Manny in this fight. So I don't get why the ducking?

I don't believe in ABC theories but PBF totally destroyed Marquez who is Manny's achilles heel. If PBF ends his career without fighting Manny, some people would question his all-time greatness and his record would have a small blemish on it. This fight still needs to happen if Pacquiao gets by Rios. Floyd still seems reluctant for some reason, strange.
9/16/13 2:58 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the ship may have sailed on that fight. They waited too long. Phone Post
9/16/13 3:03 PM
Leck Brosnar

Edited: 09/16/13 3:07 PM
Yeah I think Floyd would beat Manny but it would be dangerous for him the whole time. Super fast combinations with awesome power and a southpaw, Floyd can't find those kinds of sparring partners. Orthodox fighters are nothing to Floyd and his shoulder rolling
9/16/13 3:03 PM
lueng jon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it was greed and selfishness, He simply could not,
would not split the purse 50/50 when Manny was on top.
9/16/13 3:05 PM
boxing wiz
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd is not in anyway afraid to fight Manny. All negotiations played out and the final stipulation was random testing. Manny balked at the testing. He didn't want to have blood drawn too close to the fight. Then they agreed not tests less than 14 days before fight. Manny still didn't like it. Every fight since involving Floyd, each fighter(Floyd included) was tested.
Floyd would have toyed with Manny. Manny would have been so badly exposed when Floyd exploited his aggression. He would have countered him all night. JMM was able to beat Manny, and give him huge trouble by controlling the distance and counterpunching. Floyd does both much better than JMM . It's not so much that Floyd beat JMM, and JMM beat Manny. It's that JMM and Floyd have similar styles, and Floyd is much better using that style than JMM.
9/16/13 3:07 PM
caposa
1839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fight is going to happen

9/16/13 3:08 PM
HenryO

OP, why comment on something that you clearly know nothing about?
9/16/13 3:08 PM
Morgz
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/16/13 3:10 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  I think the ship may have sailed on that fight. They waited too long. Phone Post

I tend to agree.  I liken it to the possiblity of Fedor coming out of retirement and fighting Randy...would have been great 5 years ago.  Not so much interest now.

And I'm not saying I wouldnt pay $60 to watch it.  I certainly would.  I'm just saying this fight (PBF vs Manny) would have been awesome 3 years ago.

9/16/13 3:12 PM
boxing wiz
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fight lost the majority of its fascination. The while mystery was if Manny was the one to beat Floyd, and if Manny had become unbeatable with his rise in weight. Both have been clearly answered. Even Manny's most avid supporters know he has slipped and can't beat Floyd now. Not like he was going to in 08-11 either, but his fans didn't think that.
9/16/13 3:13 PM
AMartElbow

Money. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 3:14 PM
HenryO

caposa - 

This fight is going to happen

I think its happens sometime in next couple years too. It's still the fight everyone wants, and I dont think either are that close to retiring.

There isnt many fighters from 140-154 that people will pay 75 dollars to see fight Floyd. Showtime has Garcia and maybe Broner eventually, both seem like stretches as FLoyd opponents at this point.

Cant wait for PAcquaio/Rios, will definitely be a better fight then Canelo/FLoyd
9/16/13 3:14 PM
Leck Brosnar

boxing wiz - This fight lost the majority of its fascination. The while mystery was if Manny was the one to beat Floyd, and if Manny had become unbeatable with his rise in weight. Both have been clearly answered. Even Manny's most avid supporters know he has slipped and can't beat Floyd now. Not like he was going to in 08-11 either, but his fans didn't think that.

I don't think it matters at all if JMM was able to KO Manny. JMM had over 100 minutes of experience against Manny and was getting handled like never before, before connecting with a brutal counter. If it's so easy to Floyd, why not make a cool easy 75 million and go KO Pacquiao.
9/16/13 3:15 PM
HenryO

Morgz - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  I think the ship may have sailed on that fight. They waited too long. Phone Post

I tend to agree.  I liken it to the possiblity of Fedor coming out of retirement and fighting Randy...would have been great 5 years ago.  Not so much interest now.

And I'm not saying I wouldnt pay $60 to watch it.  I certainly would.  I'm just saying this fight (PBF vs Manny) would have been awesome 3 years ago.

Who would draw more interest fighting Floyd? No one
Is Floyd close to retiring? Most doubt it
9/16/13 3:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhoppersJr -

This is BS.

Manny is still a much loved fighter with a huge fan base (one that could easily be re-energized by the hype machine) and he still has that exciting style that the casual boxing fan likes to see.

Even at this point, a fight with Manny would still be one of the richest fights in boxing history.
I didn't mean no one would be interested in watching. I just think Mayweather's camp moved on after Bob Arum was so hard to come to a deal with. Now that Pac lost and seems to be on the decline some and perhaps ready to retire soon, there isn't tons and tons of pressure from fans and media that could have made it happen. The only way I think it does now is if Arum thinks he's done and tries to cash in one last time.

I blame Arum's greed on this fight not happening. It could have been one of the greatest sporting events ever. Phone Post
9/16/13 3:16 PM
kronk
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe you should stop looking at Floyd and should start questioning Pac...Maybe it's not strange at all .... this leads me to believe that its not Floyd who's reluctant, but Pac, or Bob.... Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 3:17 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

HenryO -
Morgz - 

Who would draw more interest fighting Floyd? No one
Is Floyd close to retiring? Most doubt it
Pac may be close to retiring though, no? Phone Post
9/16/13 3:26 PM
RedDragons
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ohhhhh fuckstick, here we go again with this argument. In for boxing arguments!
9/16/13 3:30 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
9/16/13 3:35 PM
boxing wiz

Bob Arum did not want to lose his cash cow in Manny. He was one huge obstacle. Manny also refused to take the blood tests, plain and simple. That is why the fight didn't take place. If Manny had agreed, they would have fought.

And the only reason JMM got beat up in the 4th fight with Manny is because he fought more aggressive looking for the KO. People like to say he landed a lucky punch. He dropped Manny in the 3rd also, did the lottery hit twice? He walked through Manny's best and landed the big fight ending shot, that Manny fell right into. He flat out beat Manny, luck played no part.
9/16/13 3:41 PM
epwar
541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna go out on a limb and say Mayweather wins by decision.

9/16/13 3:43 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

They waited too long and Pacman has slowed down and gotten sloppy. If this were coming off Pac/Margarito or Pac/Cotto, this would have been epic.
9/16/13 3:45 PM
Liyon
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give someone 4 chances who already matches up extremely well with you and they will probably win eventually. Not to mention there's plenty of speculation that JMM was juiced to the gills for the 4th fight.

Speaking of drug-testing, does Mayweather demand every fighter he faces go through as strict of a drug test as he demanded of Pacquaio? If not, sounds like Mayweather has less confidence in this match-up than we think.

It's also amusing that Canelo only got paid $5 million for his fight with Mayweather considering he arguably brought more fans to the table than Floyd. But I guess you can say that of every latino fighter Floyd faces.
9/16/13 3:45 PM
Paka Ono
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like mentioned above, Bob Arum is the reason this fight didn't happen.

Floyd was all set to sign the papers, but it was Pac's camp that walked away.
9/16/13 3:46 PM
hellride
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We will never know what the real reason is/was.
9/16/13 3:48 PM
deadlysyn

Manny is a danger to Floyd and his style is actually the blueprint on how to beat him. Floyd is a defensive counter puncher and he's the best at it. The way you beat him it to bully, bait to keep the pressure on so you break down his defense. Floyd makes you fight his fight, you need to make him fight yours. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.