UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I thought there was hope for me but I was wrong

9/16/13 3:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trichoke7
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went for a job interview today. This was potentially life changing for me. The interviewer said I did well and that she will consider me for an "as needed" position (PRN for those of you in the medical field) but the chances aren't great for me to get the position I applied for because they'll most likely hire internally. I was the only person she was inteviewing from outside because someone put a word in for me. The job wasn't even posted externally.

Furthermore, I was told when I started my Master's degree that this job started in the low $40,000 per year. Online salary data seemed to confirm this. However, the job only pays $15 per hour!!!! There is no way they would pay that little while everyone else pays way more for the same job, so that must be normal. 

This was the closest I've been yet to getting the job I went to school for.

But now that I know this job pays shit I'm not sure I even want it anymore. I feel even more discouraged about my future prospects. 

I'm not sure how much longer I can last. 

9/16/13 3:21 PM
Luncha Libre
1332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought this was about jelqing
9/16/13 3:21 PM
Mookie 3:16
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't take life so seriously.  You'll never get out alive.

or something like that.

9/16/13 3:24 PM
rufus
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you off yourself, can I have your baseball card collection?

9/16/13 3:24 PM
jeremy hamilton
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know how you still thought there was hope for you...
9/16/13 3:25 PM
Trichoke7
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

walterhiggens - 33,992 PRN Jobs available on Indeed.com. one search. all jobs.

PRN is not a job.

9/16/13 3:26 PM
Trichoke7

rufus - 

If you off yourself, can I have your baseball card collection?

No.

9/16/13 3:27 PM
Trichoke7

jeremy hamilton - I don't know how you still thought there was hope for you...

I should have known better.

9/16/13 3:33 PM
GiarcDrofwarc
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hang in there man. If you stay motivated and determined, you will find a job. The hard part is not getting discouraged.

While it may sound shitty at the moment, $15/hour (about 30k per year) is better than being unemployed and making $0. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 3:37 PM
ceiling_cat
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happiness is not a state of mind, its an action.  You have to do it every day if you want to be hopeful, happy, and succesful.  If your life is anything like your posts on here, you're not doing what you need to be doing.  You can continue to assume its all beyond your control, or just do it regardless of what your education and assumptions about the world tell you.  I'd like to think that by now you've tried it your way and maybe you're ready to try something different.  I hope so anyway.  I've known too many people who've killed themselves.  Its always a waste and a shame. 

9/16/13 3:40 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GiarcDrofwarc - Hang in there man. If you stay motivated and determined, you will find a job. The hard part is not getting discouraged.

While it may sound shitty at the moment, $15/hour (about 30k per year) is better than being unemployed and making $0. Phone Post 3.0
I wouldn't mind 15 an hour Phone Post
9/16/13 3:43 PM
Hauntedmemory
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ever think that maybe you have to start off earning shit money before you earn decent money.

Being an apprentice plumber I started on about $10 an hour, im now on close to $37. Phone Post
9/16/13 3:51 PM
clattymine
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well now you can still think about penises for the entire day. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 3:51 PM
billyball2
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trichoke7 - 

I went for a job interview today. This was potentially life changing for me. The interviewer said I did well and that she will consider me for an "as needed" position (PRN for those of you in the medical field) but the chances aren't great for me to get the position I applied for because they'll most likely hire internally. I was the only person she was inteviewing from outside because someone put a word in for me. The job wasn't even posted externally.

Furthermore, I was told when I started my Master's degree that this job started in the low $40,000 per year. Online salary data seemed to confirm this. However, the job only pays $15 per hour!!!! There is no way they would pay that little while everyone else pays way more for the same job, so that must be normal. 

This was the closest I've been yet to getting the job I went to school for.

But now that I know this job pays shit I'm not sure I even want it anymore. I feel even more discouraged about my future prospects. 

I'm not sure how much longer I can last. 

You're the one who won't look outside your immediate geographical area and you are only looking in the medical industry, right?
9/16/13 4:51 PM
Trichoke7

Hauntedmemory -  Ever think that maybe you have to start off earning shit money before you earn decent money.

Being an apprentice plumber I started on about $10 an hour, im now on close to $37. Phone Post

Nope, because this job isn't at all like that. 

You don't get a huge pay raise after an apprentice type time period, nor will anyone see my experience as useful in another job that does pay more.

9/16/13 5:05 PM
Trichoke7

Also, lots of jobs start out at way more than $15 an hour.

9/16/13 5:10 PM
ceiling_cat
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why did you want to do a job that starts low and stays low?

9/16/13 5:25 PM
Bigblock455

What is the job title please. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 5:27 PM
Sam Ortiz
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep looking ... Phone Post
9/16/13 5:37 PM
Trichoke7

ceiling_cat - 

why did you want to do a job that starts low and stays low?

Because my grad advisor told me that it starts in the low 40's, and an internet search told me the same. 

If I had known that wasn't true I would have never gotten a degree in what I did. I had another degree in mind (an associates degree but I passed because a Masters seems so much better) that I'm pretty sure really does start in the low 40's. 

9/16/13 5:38 PM
Vizslarex

Research where they are hiring nation wide , hell, even world wide--- if you are willing to move. Could they use your skills/ education in the military? Could you get a commission like an RN. If nothing else get another degree or certification in the medical field that you know is in demand. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 5:48 PM
microbiologynerd
1205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prn = on call nurse? Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 5:50 PM
Trichoke7

Vizslarex - Research where they are hiring nation wide , hell, even world wide--- if you are willing to move. Could they use your skills/ education in the military? Could you get a commission like an RN. If nothing else get another degree or certification in the medical field that you know is in demand. Phone Post 3.0

Any good job in the medical field is protected by occupational liscensing which will require a specific degree in order to be hired. That means years of my life and another 10-30 grand in student loans tacked onto what I already have. 

This wouldn't be so bad if I was a kid but I'm 31 and my life has been on hold for so long already. 

Even if I wanted to go back to school I don't even have a motherfucking good enough job to pay my bills while I go part time. 

I'm worthless human being with no skills that the economy has any use for. I am wasted space and maybe some people just aren't cut out for life. 

9/16/13 5:53 PM
Trichoke7

microbiologynerd - Prn = on call nurse? Phone Post 3.0

No, its on call for any job. 

PRN means "pro re nata." It's a Latin phrase meaning in the circumstances or as the circumstance arises.

9/16/13 6:00 PM
ceiling_cat

I would try to give you some advice, I've been in pretty dire financial straights with probably much more debt than you, but I don't think you want to hear it.  I think you want to be the victim of a world not designed for people like you.    As long as you want to be a victim, you'll keep being victimized.  I hope you reach out to someone before you let your depression kill you.  The world is not better off without you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.