UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce Criticizes New Generation Of The Family

9/16/13 7:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
teamquestnorth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheOne -
teamquestnorth -  Man that kind of advice from royce to someone like kron for example could get him hurt. Guess what royce if you cant take your opponent down, your going to be forced to stand and trade. Well you can buttscoot but nobodies falling for that. Also beating Tim Kennedy means you should get a title shot? Come on man. I respect and admire royce as much as anyone but thats just a really bad view on his part. Phone Post

Not to be "that guy" but if you cant take your opponent down you can pull guard... (thats different that butt scooting)

Yeah you can pull guard until the other guy pulls out, backs away and you get stood up. Watch allistair vs werdum in strikeforce for that masterful technique Phone Post
9/16/13 7:09 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth - 
TheOne -
teamquestnorth -  Man that kind of advice from royce to someone like kron for example could get him hurt. Guess what royce if you cant take your opponent down, your going to be forced to stand and trade. Well you can buttscoot but nobodies falling for that. Also beating Tim Kennedy means you should get a title shot? Come on man. I respect and admire royce as much as anyone but thats just a really bad view on his part. Phone Post

Not to be "that guy" but if you cant take your opponent down you can pull guard... (thats different that butt scooting)

Yeah you can pull guard until the other guy pulls out, backs away and you get stood up. Watch allistair vs werdum in strikeforce for that masterful technique Phone Post

So because it didnt work once, it will never work?

Tharian

Royce have done more than enough to deserve the right to say what fuck he wants without being questioned by internet warriors.

He IS THE Ultimate Fighter ... STFU everyone who "respectful disagrees". Phone Post
46and2degrees

The Gracie's are good at what they do but in all honestly, they are not MMA fighters. There is no way Royce could get a MMA fight to the ground in today's level of fighters, let alone lay in guard for 30 mins straight.

Gracie's should stick to teaching BJJ and leave the fighting to the fighters. Phone Post
9/16/13 7:10 PM
Jake95
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I do jiu-jitsu my whole life, so why would I try to stand and bang with Mike Tyson?," he said. "I’m going to learn boxing in six months because my opponent is good in boxing? That makes no sense."

Come on guys stop with all the criticism it's obvious he meant side-step.

9/16/13 7:12 PM
teamquestnorth

46and2degrees - The Gracie's are good at what they do but in all honestly, they are not MMA fighters. There is no way Royce could get a MMA fight to the ground in today's level of fighters, let alone lay in guard for 30 mins straight.

Gracie's should stick to teaching BJJ and leave the fighting to the fighters. Phone Post
This Phone Post
9/16/13 7:24 PM
Rev Horror
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eater of Sacred Cows, Pwner

This thread makes me sad

9/16/13 7:28 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth - 
46and2degrees - The Gracie's are good at what they do but in all honestly, they are not MMA fighters. There is no way Royce could get a MMA fight to the ground in today's level of fighters, let alone lay in guard for 30 mins straight.

This Phone Post

Pretty much this.

Big fan of Royce, but we've learned as MMA has evolved throughout the years.  THE first evolution was wrestlers figuring out a bit of sub defense to not get subbed and beat the shit out of guys on the ground (including bjjers).  Then strikers realized if they learned wrestling they could keep the fight on it's feet with the wrestlers and knock them the fuck out.  Then the wrestlers learned that if they learned striking and mixed it in with their takedowns they could then take down the strikers.  That all basically evolved into learn the ground game, clinch game, and stand up game.  Welcome to mixed martial arts.

You can specialize in one, but you cannot ignore or not learn the others.

9/16/13 7:29 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now all that aside, I think alot of the modern Gracies have gone too far from BJJ.  I think they actually try to test their striking.  I would like to see more Gracies pull guard or go for flying submissions especially in the earlier rounds.  You need to learn it all, but always try to put the odds in your favor as soon as possible in a fight.

9/16/13 7:35 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A fighter has to have at least 2 things he is very good at in order to reach the elite or top 10 level in MMA. The closest thing to what Royce is talking about is probably Maia, but the reason he's got terrific wrestling to go along with his bjj. Phone Post
9/16/13 7:36 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - A fighter has to have at least 2 things he is very good at in order to reach the elite or top 10 level in MMA. The closest thing to what Royce is talking about is probably Maia, but the reason he's got terrific wrestling to go along with his bjj. Phone Post
Well maybe not at heavyweight but in every other division anyways. Phone Post
9/16/13 7:36 PM
Alpha Chimp

UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler - 
teamquestnorth - 

This Phone Post

Pretty much this.

Big fan of Royce, but we've learned as MMA has evolved throughout the years.  THE first evolution was wrestlers figuring out a bit of sub defense to not get subbed and beat the shit out of guys on the ground (including bjjers).  Then strikers realized if they learned wrestling they could keep the fight on it's feet with the wrestlers and knock them the fuck out.  Then the wrestlers learned that if they learned striking and mixed it in with their takedowns they could then take down the strikers.  That all basically evolved into learn the ground game, clinch game, and stand up game.  Welcome to mixed martial arts.

You can specialize in one, but you cannot ignore or not learn the others.

this guy gets it better than Royce -

hey Royce - you realise hair pulling isnt allowed anymore either -
9/16/13 7:38 PM
WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracei Jiu Jitsu and Roids.. all you need

9/16/13 7:41 PM
AndyMain
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. I am a HUGE Royce Gracie fan. Loved his old fights. But he couldn't be more wrong. How he thinks the level of opponents he fought back in UFC's first bouts are even remotely comparible to the guys this generation is fighting is laughable, even on a local level. Its the complete opposite. Most of the time these guys rely too much on their ability to submit quickly and then gas out or lose the will to win if their submission game gets stifled.

It's actually extremely unfortunate that Rolles got KO'd the way he did, because he looked more improved and composed than I've ever seen. His boxing looked good. His timing was on point. He kept his composure and didn't force a desparate takedown that wasn't there and didn't gas himself out. He just got clipped and fell hard. He should continue doing whatever he's been doing.

I have a hard time remaining a fan after such an ignorant statement and I am a BJJ based MMA fighter with Royce Gracie and Renzo Gracie BJJ lineage.

9/16/13 7:45 PM
teamquestnorth

AndyMain -

Wow. I am a HUGE Royce Gracie fan. Loved his old fights. But he couldn't be more wrong. How he thinks the level of opponents he fought back in UFC's first bouts are even remotely comparible to the guys this generation is fighting is laughable, even on a local level. Its the complete opposite. Most of the time these guys rely too much on their ability to submit quickly and then gas out or lose the will to win if their submission game gets stifled.

It's actually extremely unfortunate that Rolles got KO'd the way he did, because he looked more improved and composed than I've ever seen. His boxing looked good. His timing was on point. He kept his composure and didn't force a desparate takedown that wasn't there and didn't gas himself out. He just got clipped and fell hard. He should continue doing whatever he's been doing.

I have a hard time remaining a fan after such an ignorant statement and I am a BJJ based MMA fighter with Royce Gracie and Renzo Gracie BJJ lineage.

Great post Phone Post
9/16/13 7:46 PM
Legerdemain
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So basically Royce is saying they need to be less well-rounded and more predictable in their offense?

I think Royce Gracie needs to watch Matt Hughes vs Royce Gracie.
9/16/13 7:53 PM
Trane

Evolution. How work that does?
9/16/13 7:55 PM
Authority Figure

Errk - That's why Matt Hughes stomped him.

To be fair, Matt fought Royce way after his prime. I'm not really sure why that fight even happened.

I've only met Royce once and it was in the airport before that fight. I told him to destroy Matt and he stood there in the airport looking at me like I was a maniac. lmao.

9/16/13 8:05 PM
Legerdemain
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - 
Errk - That's why Matt Hughes stomped him.

To be fair, Matt fought Royce way after his prime. I'm not really sure why that fight even happened.

I've only met Royce once and it was in the airport before that fight. I told him to destroy Matt and he stood there in the airport looking at me like I was a maniac. lmao.

The real question is, what did BJ Penn have to say about it? Did you catch the look on his face?
9/16/13 8:45 PM
MrColdCock
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't disagree with Royce at all.

Maia is having the best success in his career now that he has rediscovered his roots.

Aoki has had a damn good career despite abysmal standup.

How many times have we yelled at the screen watching a guy stand and wang when he's out of his element.

People can trash on Royce all they want. One thing for sure is Royce did not stand and wang when he fought Sakuraba. He fucking brought it to the best fighter in the world. Imagine if Royce had cross trained hard for that fight. The outcome would have been much worse and we as fans would have felt robbed watching Royce and Sakuraba in a strictly stand up fight. He lost, but he brought his best skills to the table. Phone Post
9/16/13 9:15 PM
BrunoMcGyver
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheOne - 
teamquestnorth - 
TheOne -

So because it didnt work once, it will never work?

BOOM.

9/16/13 9:21 PM
EddieBravo
330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv
Royce is the Dan Severn of Jiu Jitsu Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 9:26 PM
teamquestnorth

EddieBravo - Royce is the Dan Severn of Jiu Jitsu Phone Post 3.0
What do you think about royces interview eddie? Is training jiu jitsu exclusively enough to make it as a world champion on the biggest stage in mma? Phone Post
9/16/13 9:31 PM
Lobo8

TheOne - 

Its gotta suck when Royce and his brothers were pretty dominant and now he see's the new generation trying to stand and wang all the time.

I understand they want to be well rounded but when you have THAT level of JJ, it boggles my mind why you would do anything but sub everybody everytime.

Problem is fihgters are so good at stopping takedowns and have great defensive ground games that they become impossible to sub. MMA has evolved alot since gracies times. Knowing only jujitsu wont get you to the top.
9/16/13 9:43 PM
orbit
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce is a legend and deserves everyone's respect when it comes to fighting but he is wrong and it's not surprising that he thinks this way. It must be hard to have been one of the best and to see the sport evolve at such a fast rate. Royce was decimated by Hughes, that was the new meeting the old.
Royce contradicts himself by saying "jiujitsu is enough" but then saying he trained boxing and wrestling to better understand how they'd be used against him.
The Gracie name doesn't make them automatically better fighters. If you are a Gracie you most likely have a lot of training opportunities and certain expectations but it doesn't make you any better than some cornfed brute who's putting hours in on the wrestling mats.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.