UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Recent BJJ matches, critiques/criticism welcomed!

9/17/13 5:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Loge
844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I posted some of these videos in a thread with a different title a while back, but i was hoping for some constructive criticism from the alpha hive mind of the UG! Feel free to comment, critique, criticize, flame, or shit all over me and my lack of skills! Thanks in advance!
9/17/13 5:36 PM
The Loge
844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/17/13 5:41 PM

The first video was my first match in the intermediate nogi division at the Midwest Submission Challenge in Indianapolis a few weeks ago. This is my match for first place in that same division.

9/17/13 5:41 PM
The Loge

This is my match for second place in the blue belt gi division at the Midwest Submission Challenge. This was also the first attempted "Logeoplata" in competition, i didn't get the tap but I'm going to keep going after it with this submission until i have a gang of wins with it in competition....hopefully!
9/17/13 5:44 PM
The Loge

This is a match from the Indy Extreme Grappling Open that happened a few months ago. I just never got around to uploading it until now.

Thanks for any advice that can help me up my game UG!
9/17/13 5:48 PM
Ch1ef
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did he die? Phone Post
9/17/13 8:55 PM
The Loge

Ch1ef - Did he die? Phone Post
No, to the best of my knowledge he is still very much alive.... It was really scary though, that's the first time that I have ever done that to someone and it was quite surreal.... He was a really cool dude! Phone Post 3.0
9/17/13 9:01 PM
fhk2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ref in the first match should not have lifted that kids head up....you lift the legs up and leave the head down.
9/18/13 10:27 AM
The Loge

fhk2 - The ref in the first match should not have lifted that kids head up....you lift the legs up and leave the head down.
Yeah that's what I thought too. I tried to do the proper thing once I realized what had happened. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 2:15 PM
The Loge

TTT? Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 2:49 PM
Slobonmynog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guard looks nasty.

Do you spend much time on takedowns? Or get it to guard as quick as possible?

Just a question!

My game is very top heavy. Phone Post
9/18/13 5:26 PM
The Loge

Slobonmynog - Guard looks nasty.

Do you spend much time on takedowns? Or get it to guard as quick as possible?

Just a question!

My game is very top heavy. Phone Post
Thanks bro!

Not as much time as I should that's for sure. I have an amazing BJJ coach and an awesome wrestling coach so I of course train takedowns in the gym but to be honest my wrestling/takedown game is garbage. I didn't wrestle in high school or anything and although I train takedowns I'm just not comfortable enough with them to implement them in a competition setting yet.
My guard is definitely one of my strongest assets. I use to just always go out and either sit on my ass or pull guard but I've changed my game up a little bit recently. My strategy is to go out there and just try to wrap up their neck as quick as possible or sprawl on their takedown attempts. I feel really strong when I'm on top of someone in a sprawl position and I have decent game from there. The first three videos came from a submission only tournament where the matches had a 15 minute time limit; in that environment I don't mind wasting time on the feet trying to wrap up a neck but in matches with a shorter time limit (5-7 minutes) I usually just try to pull guard and get to work because the clock is usually against me in point based matches.

My top game is what I'm really trying to work on in the gym as of late as that has been one of my weaker points thus far!
Thanks for checking the videos out! Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 5:36 PM
CaptainAhab
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched the top two.

It's hard to give a lot of feedback because your opponents seemed limited. The first one you caught quickly and the second guy didn't seem to have any ideas for passing guard.

However, it looks like you have good aggressiveness and aren't afraid to go for submissions.

Nice bit of DLR in the second match; you transitioned to it very smoothly. However, you played footsies too long, IMO. If foot locks are your game then go for them violently. If they are not, then don't fuck around with your feet tangled up. That's my philosophy.
9/18/13 5:37 PM
CaptainAhab
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, and your pants are hideous.
9/18/13 5:38 PM
athsportsnutrition
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Push the Envelope

Watched first two matches, looked good man. One thing Id suggest is keep working on your movement & wrestling (no-gi). Get in a good stance and work some good fundamental movement. Looked a little heavy on that front leg that makes it easy to time snatches etc. But overall off to a great start. Great to see you go out there and put yourself up for critiques.

9/18/13 7:40 PM
Ajm1218
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's tough to say you did anything incorrect based on that footage, you're a lot better than those guys. You seem to have a great guillotine and learning some wrestling will help you get it more often. Just a basic wrestling stance with some tie ups and knee taps will get guys to expose their necks when they sprawl. You'll be able to trap them in front head locks and work anaconda/darce combos or control them better on their shots for clean guillotine chances.

Nice work and looked great. Just my 2 cents.
9/18/13 9:57 PM
The Loge

CaptainAhab - I watched the top two.

It's hard to give a lot of feedback because your opponents seemed limited. The first one you caught quickly and the second guy didn't seem to have any ideas for passing guard.

However, it looks like you have good aggressiveness and aren't afraid to go for submissions.

Nice bit of DLR in the second match; you transitioned to it very smoothly. However, you played footsies too long, IMO. If foot locks are your game then go for them violently. If they are not, then don't fuck around with your feet tangled up. That's my philosophy.

The first two videos were pretty dominate wins, you're right but I'm always looking for tips to get better! The last two videos were much closer matches. One of them I lose the other one I win with like 5-10 seconds left! 

Thanks for the compliments. I have a very aggressive style; I'm always looking for the kill! 

In that particular match only straight ankle locks and straight kneebars were allowed so I really wasn't too worried about playing footsies with the guy although I understand and completely agree with your assessment. I was really just looking to sweep/improve position from DLR. My instructor is from a DLR lineage so I'm pretty comfortable with DLR although I am not very good with it quite yet! My leg lock game isn't very advanced either to be quite honest. My ankle locks and kneebars are not very highly developed yet although I have been working on them a lot lately, especially kneebars. I wouldn't say that they are "competition ready" yet unless one just happened to fall into my lap though. I'm a little better at toe holds and I have an "ok" calf crank game although toe holds usually aren't allowed in my experience level divisions. That all being said I have a good amount of confidence in my straight ankle lock and kneebar defense so I wasn't too worried when he was trying to catch me in an ankle lock! If heel hooks and toe holds would have been allowed in that division I would have been much more cautious in those leg locking positions for sure! 

Thanks for your advice and for watching the videos, I really appreciate it! 
9/18/13 10:00 PM
The Loge

athsportsnutrition - 

Watched first two matches, looked good man. One thing Id suggest is keep working on your movement & wrestling (no-gi). Get in a good stance and work some good fundamental movement. Looked a little heavy on that front leg that makes it easy to time snatches etc. But overall off to a great start. Great to see you go out there and put yourself up for critiques.

Thank you very much sir! Like I said in the previous post the last two videos are much closer matches so perhaps there would be more to criticize. Thanks for your advice and encouragement! My wrestling, including my movement on the feet definitely need A LOT of work!

Thanks for taking the time to check out the videos and respond!
9/18/13 10:04 PM
The Loge

Ajm1218 - It's tough to say you did anything incorrect based on that footage, you're a lot better than those guys. You seem to have a great guillotine and learning some wrestling will help you get it more often. Just a basic wrestling stance with some tie ups and knee taps will get guys to expose their necks when they sprawl. You'll be able to trap them in front head locks and work anaconda/darce combos or control them better on their shots for clean guillotine chances.

Nice work and looked great. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks a lot for the kind words! I don't know if I am really a lot better than those guys, I was just better that day! I'm always looking to improve though! Thanks for the advice, all of the things you mentioned will definitely help me out and play right into some strong points in my submission game (guillotines, d'arces, etc). 

Thanks for your time and advice! I appreciate it! 

9/18/13 10:06 PM
The Loge

CaptainAhab - Oh, and your pants are hideous.
Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 11:26 PM
jasonhightower
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Loge -
I posted some of these videos in a thread with a different title a while back, but i was hoping for some constructive criticism from the alpha hive mind of the UG! Feel free to comment, critique, criticize, flame, or shit all over me and my lack of skills! Thanks in advance!
What division was this? BTW, love the rash guard! Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 11:40 PM
The Loge

Thanks bro! I love Fuji's rash guards!
It was the intermediate lightweight division, (155-169lbs). I weighed in and signed up for the featherweight (145-154lb) division but there was no one else in my weight class for that skill level so I had to compete at lightweight. Phone Post 3.0
9/19/13 12:50 PM
The Loge

TTT for the day crew! Phone Post 3.0
9/19/13 1:35 PM
Winston Wolf

The Loge - 

nice choke but guy put himself right into it
9/19/13 1:38 PM
Winston Wolf

The Loge - 

The first video was my first match in the intermediate nogi division at the Midwest Submission Challenge in Indianapolis a few weeks ago. This is my match for first place in that same division.

nice choke and tie ups.Everythings good except the long pants
9/19/13 1:40 PM
Winston Wolf

The Loge - This is a match from the Indy Extreme Grappling Open that happened a few months ago. I just never got around to uploading it until now.

Thanks for any advice that can help me up my game UG!

nice sweeep

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.