UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> WWE's Jim Ross wants to work in MMA

9/18/13 11:15 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Legendary pre wrestling announcer Jim Ross announced last week he had retired after two decades with the WWE. Ross recently appeared on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour and discussed his desire to work in MMA and his long, long time appreciation for the sport.

While Ross is best know as an announcer, he was the World Wrestling Federation Head of Talent Relations during the WWF's years of peak popularity in the 90s. Ross had an extraordinary talent for finding talent from the ranks of competitive sports. Names he brought in include The Rock, Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar.

While Ross's departure was announced as a retirement, multiple sources say he was let go by WWE president Vince McMahon, for the third time.

Third time could be a charm, for MMA, as Ross is a man of remarkable talents.

"The most challenging part to me would be to engage in talent development, recruiting the right kind of people for the organization," said Ross. "Any entity like the UFC, the NFL, WWE, it starts with its talent. It starts and ends there. Talent is the reason the people pay to engage in the product."

"The most challenging thing would be to work with talent. That could be a lot of fun. You want personality traits, athleticism, and dedication."

However, his sights are extend to announcing as well.

"I think that, quite frankly this may sound egocentric, but I think the transition from calling a pro wrestling match and calling MMA fights would be easy," said Ross. "I think it would just be getting more familiar with fighters, more familiar with techniques, nuances that I try to study with ample preparation. I'd say the same thing about broadcasting football."

However, Ross says the UFC is his first choice.

"Would you rather broadcast the arena league or the NFL?" said Ross. "The UFC is the NFL. In my opinion, at my stage of the game, for me to be interested in something in the MMA world, it would be the UFC, or somebody has to sell me on the opportunity it would be equally as challenging and equally as rewarding. I'm certainly open minded. I think I'm a good enough businessman not to eliminate any opportunities. But my preference would be the UFC, if that could be my next adventure, my next journey, headed in that direction.  I wouldn't close the door on anybody."

Read entire article...

9/18/13 11:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cheesesteak
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting. But in my opinion, to be the best announcer you can be in MMA you'd need to understand the techniques which is very rare. For instance Goldie has been announcing for over 10 years and also trains and still doesn't know the difference between a shoulder and arm submission at times.
9/18/13 11:29 AM
cheesesteak
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another problem i'd find with Jim is that at the WWE his announcing was done in "shtick" talk in the UFC you can't announce in fake shtick voice as it is not a fake event with bizarre characters, moves, theatrics etc... Can he do that? Would he have the right eye for proper talent recruiting not understanding real fighting arts, etc???? In all reality I might be better for that job. UFC, hire me! I TRANES!
9/18/13 11:30 AM
epwar
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No...dear go, no.

9/18/13 11:30 AM
Jacinto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ross might know more than you might think. He has followed the sport for a very long time. I remember hearing him talk of recent UFC fights years ago in The Ross Report.
9/18/13 11:32 AM
crazydave
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is pretty clued in when it comes to MMA.  Would be better than Anik thats for dam sure. 

9/18/13 11:33 AM
Modes Infinity

Edited: 09/18/13 11:33 AM

I'm on the fence about this. He could do a good job but are MMA fans gonna take him seriously or just say UFC is trying to steal WWE's blue print? Could be interesting. Lets see how far down this rabbit hole is.

9/18/13 11:39 AM
ender852
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/18/13 11:43 AM
Uncle Muay Thai
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be honest nobody will know how he will be announcing mma until he is given a chance. I'd give jim a chance and just see how he does. As said above, I wouldn't be happy with him as a talent spotter as somebody with mma background is obviously the better option as they will know what to look for. JR is best when behind the mic. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 11:48 AM
meth wizard
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Ross is very educated when it comes to MMA and he's a great announcer. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Phone Post
9/18/13 11:49 AM
countsavage

We would not know until we hear him do it. One of the smaller shows should give him a chance. One thing you can't deny is that he does have the ability to make memorable lines, like "down goes Frazier", "stone Cold Stone Cold"and "Tyson Tyson..." Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 11:51 AM
countsavage

Uncle Muay Thai - To be honest nobody will know how he will be announcing mma until he is given a chance. I'd give jim a chance and just see how he does. As said above, I wouldn't be happy with him as a talent spotter as somebody with mma background is obviously the better option as they will know what to look for. JR is best when behind the mic. Phone Post 3.0
Ah shit I was writing mine probably the same time you were. Almost identical! Lol. I will vote you up. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 11:52 AM
Diazed And Confused
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Interesting. But in my opinion, to be the best announcer you can be in MMA you'd need to understand the techniques which is very rare. For instance Goldie has been announcing for over 10 years and also trains and still doesn't know the difference between a shoulder and arm submission at times.
On the other side of the coin, just having good MMA knowledge doesn't make you a great commentator/announcer.

It takes a certain level of charisma, and confidence, to preform well. The difference between Joe and Goldie isn't really their "knowledge" base, but rather their actual personalities.

Jim has it as an announcer, which is a natural gift, MMA knowledge can be learnt, and I trust when he says he has been following the sport for quite some time. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 12:08 PM
Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole

Fuck Jim Ross.
9/18/13 12:13 PM
JStrongMMA
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - Fuck Jim Ross.
Does your parents know you are using the computer again? Phone Post
9/18/13 12:14 PM
Diazed And Confused
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - But fuck it'd be the best thing in the history of the world wouldn't it?

Mazagatti lets someone get pounded out for too long - "SOMEBODY RING THE BELL! SOMEBODY RING THE GOD DAMN BELL!"

Some dude gets KTFO to Bolivia - "BAH GAWD! AS GAWD AS MY WITNESS HE IS BROKEN IN HALF!" Phone Post 3.0
Lol'd. VU Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 12:16 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'd love it.

More Iconic than Goldie, IMO.

I couldn't care less about the WWE link.
9/18/13 12:17 PM
Matt Phillips
621 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see Jim Ross call FS1 cards and I think he would actually be a cross over draw with fans too. Phone Post
9/18/13 12:22 PM
Biggy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your momma's watching! Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 12:25 PM
stevekt
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he would have a lot more interesting things to say than "virtually identical" and "it is all over". Phone Post
9/18/13 12:29 PM
Uchi
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have charisma and know How to announce, the skillset should cross over to multiple sports. I don't see his WWE experience as being something that the majority of fans would notice or care about.

9/18/13 12:33 PM
Modes Infinity

Lighten up Frances Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 12:34 PM
Rob San Soo

He always liked the steel cages matches , might as well. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 12:47 PM
eljamaiquino

I say give him a Fs1 guest spot and see how he does. He would liven the commentary up. Anik and Florian are dry as the Gobi desert. Phone Post
9/18/13 12:52 PM
GroundStPound

Fuck Jim Ross Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.