UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> WWE's Jim Ross wants to work in MMA

9/18/13 1:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wriggling Grunion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Ross would be immeasurably better than Jon Anik.
9/18/13 2:00 PM
Nonlinear

Wriggling Grunion - Jim Ross would be immeasurably better than Jon Anik.

"Jon who?"
-Everyone

9/18/13 2:07 PM
Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole

Lol. True. Phone Post
9/18/13 2:33 PM
JStrongMMA
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is the greatest commentator that I have ever had the privilege to listen to across all of sports and entertainment. His ability to invoke an emotional reaction and to draw an emotional investment out of the audience is unrivaled. Jim Ross played as big of a role as anybody to take pro wrestling into the main stream in the late 90's. He was also a successful football broadcaster and has over 30 years of tv production experience. It would be foolish to dismiss the man's experience and abilities. Those are my final thoughts on Jim Ross when it comes to a potential move to mixed martial arts. Phone Post
9/18/13 2:40 PM
Rookie Fighter

If like to see him announce. I mean Jon anik is a announcer, so come on Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 2:42 PM
The Brotorious B.I.G

"oh the carnage"

"the referee I'd knocked unconscious"

"he's a mad man, some one call help before he hurts more people"

Its a slobber knocker

Cains busted open, oh he's hideous Phone Post
9/18/13 2:44 PM
MickColins
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - If he wants to work in MMA thats great. Keep him out of the UFC. A smaller promo can use his pseudo notoriety much more so than Zuffa. Phone Post
I hate WWE but I'd much rather have JR than Goldie. JR could make fingerpainting exciting. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 2:45 PM
Whambo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JR is the best, would love him to do MMA. Btw he has done football, but WWE paid better.
9/18/13 2:50 PM
Whambo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Btw the main issue I don't think is his past in WWE, I think it's more his age and his health. The UFC has these younger guys locked in contracts, they can either continue to build them or replace one with a 61 year old who was pushed out the door by the WWE for a younger announcer, and he has had some pretty severe health issues. I just don't think it's realistic, but perhaps WSOF or invicta or any of the smaller promotions would have interest in his services. Hell if Bellator got him that'd definitely get my attention.
9/18/13 2:52 PM
jct71

Mir is articulate? Lol. I'm sure JR knows the difference between a sport and wrasslin.
9/18/13 2:53 PM
indianrob
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a great announcer and would do a terrific job. Dana hire this man immediately. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 2:54 PM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whambo - Btw the main issue I don't think is his past in WWE, I think it's more his age and his health. The UFC has these younger guys locked in contracts, they can either continue to build them or replace one with a 61 year old who was pushed out the door by the WWE for a younger announcer, and he has had some pretty severe health issues. I just don't think it's realistic, but perhaps WSOF or invicta or any of the smaller promotions would have interest in his services. Hell if Bellator got him that'd definitely get my attention.

I agree that good ole' JR is probably not a long-term investment. But I would still love to hear him call a few events.
9/18/13 2:55 PM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jct71 - Mir is articulate? Lol. I'm sure JR knows the difference between a sport and wrasslin.

Mir was fantastic when he was calling the WEC (unless Miguel Torres was in the cage).
9/18/13 2:56 PM
Big Pookie
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - 

Announcer or commentator?  Bruce Buffer is an announcer.  Joe is a commentator.

VTFU!

And what the hell is pre wrestling? Is that before the show or before wrestling was invented? Is buddy that old?

UG Blog strikes again!

9/18/13 2:59 PM
Goblowyourself
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - But fuck it'd be the best thing in the history of the world wouldn't it?

Mazagatti lets someone get pounded out for too long - "SOMEBODY RING THE BELL! SOMEBODY RING THE GOD DAMN BELL!"

Some dude gets KTFO to Bolivia - "BAH GAWD! AS GAWD AS MY WITNESS HE IS BROKEN IN HALF!" Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 3:10 PM
Daht
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'd be fantastic at it. His rasslin schitck is for pro wreslting, dig up some of his football commentary, and figure for MMA he'd be in between.

Problems he'll have is his age/health possibly, and whether his very public history with WWE is considered more of a pro than a con with the UFC brass.

WSOF, Bellator, Invicta ect should be beating down his door
9/18/13 3:12 PM
GregNoActionJackson
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hard pass Phone Post
9/18/13 3:18 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd welcome it, and would love to hear J.R. call MMA, and I think he could do an excellent job, but it aint going to happen.

Considering Dana has even been resistant to elaborate PRIDE-style ring entrances due to their link to pro-wrestling, I don't think he'd be down with having the WWE's chief play-by-play announcer of the last 20 years due broadcasting for the UFC. It'd conflate the sport with pro-wrestling without creating some megadraw the way Brock Lesnar was, and Dana has been extremely reluctant to go that way before.

However, if the UFC hired Jim Ross it'd be hilariously ironic, considering the WWE tried to steal Mike Goldberg back in 2005 or 2006 purely in an attempt to undermine the UFC at the time.

9/18/13 3:22 PM
catbath
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JR is a very talented announcer who knows how to tell a story. I've also heard him call some football games and he was excellent. I understand people being reluctant because of his pro wrestling past, but he's not your average hyperbolizing-carnie annoucer-type.

9/18/13 3:23 PM
Ironhouse
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Above all else JR knows how to speak about the performer in a way that they become more than they are which is exactly the kind of thing UFC could use to create new stars.
9/18/13 3:23 PM
Matt Phillips
621 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Ross has the ability to draw emotion out of an audience, which is something UFC needs in their commentary. I get that with Joe Rogan at times, but JR has the ability to paint a picture in my head like no other. 

9/18/13 3:28 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - Fuck Jim Ross.

Fuck your mother. Iceman cometh on her fucking face.

9/18/13 3:45 PM
Steve4192

Chromium - 

I'd welcome it, and would love to hear J.R. call MMA, and I think he could do an excellent job, but it aint going to happen.

Considering Dana has even been resistant to elaborate PRIDE-style ring entrances due to their link to pro-wrestling, I don't think he'd be down with having the WWE's chief play-by-play announcer of the last 20 years due broadcasting for the UFC. It'd conflate the sport with pro-wrestling without creating some megadraw the way Brock Lesnar was, and Dana has been extremely reluctant to go that way before.

However, if the UFC hired Jim Ross it'd be hilariously ironic, considering the WWE tried to steal Mike Goldberg back in 2005 or 2006 purely in an attempt to undermine the UFC at the time.

Dana wasn't opposed to Pride style ring entrances. They tried it back at UFC 40, doing big pyro/laser shows for both Tito and Chuck. Problem was, the fan feedback from people at the event was negative and it cost them both in terms of tickets (due to the ramp and stage taking up extra room) and expenses. So they chalked ring entrances up as a failed experiment and moved on.
9/18/13 4:04 PM
UGCTT_JaseHxC

If this happens, someone needs to come out to Stone Cold's theme so we can get a "STONE COLD! STONE COLD! STONE COLD!" reaction. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 4:15 PM
MexiCain AmeriCain
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope it happens Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.