UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> WWE's Jim Ross wants to work in MMA

9/18/13 4:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JStrongMMA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 -
Chromium - 

I'd welcome it, and would love to hear J.R. call MMA, and I think he could do an excellent job, but it aint going to happen.

Considering Dana has even been resistant to elaborate PRIDE-style ring entrances due to their link to pro-wrestling, I don't think he'd be down with having the WWE's chief play-by-play announcer of the last 20 years due broadcasting for the UFC. It'd conflate the sport with pro-wrestling without creating some megadraw the way Brock Lesnar was, and Dana has been extremely reluctant to go that way before.

However, if the UFC hired Jim Ross it'd be hilariously ironic, considering the WWE tried to steal Mike Goldberg back in 2005 or 2006 purely in an attempt to undermine the UFC at the time.

Dana wasn't opposed to Pride style ring entrances. They tried it back at UFC 40, doing big pyro/laser shows for both Tito and Chuck. Problem was, the fan feedback from people at the event was negative and it cost them both in terms of tickets (due to the ramp and stage taking up extra room) and expenses. So they chalked ring entrances up as a failed experiment and moved on.
Dana has actually stated that the reason they did the big entrances was a way to block off a big portion of the arena and to eliminate seats thus it becomes easier to sell out a venue. Dana himself is not a big fan of elaborate entrances and pyro. Phone Post
9/18/13 4:18 PM
Cyril Jeff
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
ender852 - 

I'm not sure how anyone could watch this vid and NOT enjoy it!

9/18/13 4:22 PM
MMA_Hole
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love this. I haven't watched wrestling in fifteen years but his announcing style and enthusiasm was a bit part of my enjoyment of it when I did.

I expected to the sole person with this opinion but and happy to see I'm not. MAKE IT HAPPEN DANA!
9/18/13 4:34 PM
Dobba1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it may be a good thing . He was a beast at talent selection and was super professional back stage. He seeming has a natural skill of negotiation and spotting potential. I know this is a world away from mma but the man got huge respect from most people backstage and it could cross over well. Commentary would be another thing all together. It all comes down to how much knowledge he could take in on the sport and techniques but anything is a possibility. I may be completely wrong but from what I have seen the guy is a real work horse and a real pro at selling and creating hype. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 4:40 PM
muaythai1622
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be great an bring more fans to mma Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 5:39 PM
SamboMMA

the islander -  JR would be excellent. He could cover stand up and takedowns really well. A problem would be is he might make a punch seem like it landed harder than it really did. Honestly I'm all for it. He would be great at it. Phone Post

That's Rogan's job. One of Rogan's favorites throws a light Jab. "HE ROCKED HIM WITH THAT PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
9/18/13 6:29 PM
PrettyBoy
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ironhouse - Above all else JR knows how to speak about the performer in a way that they become more than they are which is exactly the kind of thing UFC could use to create new stars.
UFC doesn't want stars they want brand/event praise. Like a famous traveling circus they want everyone to know the name of the Circus and that they put on a great show... But they would prefer the faces of performer be unknown so that they can keep wages low.

Stars like Floyd and Manny could single handedly break the UFC apart. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 6:30 PM
PrettyBoy
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And for the record JR and the King were the greatest commentary team of all time. Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 6:36 PM
Matt Phillips
621 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy - And for the record JR and the King were the greatest commentary team of all time. Phone Post 3.0

Hmm not sure if they were as good as Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon, idk maybe a toss up.

9/18/13 7:20 PM
catbath
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Phillips -
PrettyBoy - And for the record JR and the King were the greatest commentary team of all time. Phone Post 3.0

Hmm not sure if they were as good as Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon, idk maybe a toss up.

VU - they were great together! Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 7:27 PM
Kimo Lives
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jr is too professional and talented as a commentator to flub to hard.

Just like he said it would take some homework to understand the phrases and technics but he can certainly do better than anik Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 7:36 PM
MrColdCock
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many fights has Goldberg called? Well over 1000. How many iconic moments has he had? None. A big fat none.

Every sport had had their big moments blown up to be something greater because of the play by play guy.

"It.... Is.....all....over" is just not good enough.

Ross would have to scale it back, but he'd be better, a lot better, then what we have right now. Phone Post
9/18/13 7:37 PM
CindyO

They should test drive him on a Facebook match or make him the 3rd man in the booth for an undercard. He might be just fine, hard to tell.

Cindy

9/18/13 7:56 PM
Jerkie
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love it

JR is awesome behind the mic and would give some life to the commentary while someone like Rogan would do the technical talking

Hell go with Goldie, JR and Rogan...be amazing Phone Post
9/18/13 8:03 PM
JStrongMMA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think JR and Rogan would be a perfect comentary team. Phone Post
9/18/13 8:11 PM
Fudge Cake
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Jim Ross and I'm pretty sure he'd prepare himself appropriately to call MMA fights. But right now, he's behind Mauro and Goldy in my MMA PBP depth chart.
9/18/13 9:01 PM
UGCTT_ConditFryedKampmannRare
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imagine a team of JR and Mauro calling MMA. BAH GAWD!!! Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 9:08 PM
buffersfluffer
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 9:29 PM
theshooter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Ross could be a great announcer at anything.
9/18/13 9:29 PM
theshooter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Ross could be a great announcer at anything.
9/18/13 9:40 PM
Allen Hood

Really can't see how that would be anything special Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 9:50 PM
Joeymarvelous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm for it, got to be better than Anik. Phone Post
9/18/13 9:54 PM
JustPeed
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We don't need JR and his pro wrasslin shtick anywhere near UFC. I also doubt he would be able to keep up with the action.

Maybe a move to.college football on FS1 but i doubt he'd be able to keep up with that action too. Wasnt he taken off the announcing for wwf.cause he frequently got names wrong and called the "action" one step behind? Phone Post
9/18/13 9:55 PM
JustPeed
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JStrongMMA - I think JR and Rogan would be a perfect comentary team. Phone Post
I think JR would drive Rogan nuts. Phone Post
9/18/13 11:50 PM
DanTheWolfman

The amateur fights I called I worked Slobberknocker in, and Joe Rogan recently did with a shoutout to the UG, my buddy made a Spanish Announcing table comment and Schiavello worked that in last AXS TV Fight.

Jim Ross has had his impact

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.