UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mayweather vs Canelo does 2.2 million PPV buys

9/20/13 12:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RuaYouToDoubtChaelsSubGame -
PrettyBoy -
CindyO - They should give bonuses to all if the fighters on the card... Just because they can:)

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
Multiple guys are getting paid well over a million dollars for this card.

When you pay right the first time you don't need bonuses.

Guys at the beginning of the main card are making Overeem money.

On the other hand when you have a pay per view and give a main event fighter 12k like Liz Camouche a bonus is the least you can do. Phone Post 3.0
Multiple as in Floyd canelo Garcia mathysse right? So only the main and co main. The co main could have had thwir own ppv alone..... Phone Post
Do you know what all if the fighters earned on this card? Thanks.

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 12:55 AM
CindyO

mrwhipple -
CindyO - 
mrwhipple - 
Tat2tillidie - 
CindyO - They should give bonuses to all if the fighters on the card... Just because they can:)

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

Maybe they should, but looking at the undercard purses ($1.2 mil, $800k, $250K, $100k) most fighters seems to have aslo entered the fight better paid than most other fighters.

What does what other fighters make or not make have to do with how much THESE guys make on an eleventy-billion dollar gate and PPV? How many fighters on the card got PPV points? I don't follow boxing so I don't know what the norms are. Has pay been released for the entire card or just for the notable money makers? Thanks.

Cindy

Only Floyd and Canelo (who was guaranteed at least $7 mil in his ppv bonus) got ppv points. And tell you the truth I don't even know if this card had prelims. But prelims in boxing are very different from MMA, they're basically local/regional fighterss. Usually they're never televised or even recorded. They're are just not part of the event. so they're not adding any value to the ppv while at the same time no one is making money off them. They're often even promoted by someone besides the main promoter. I've been at shows were Top Rank was promoting the main event but something called Roy Englebrecht Promotions was handling the undercard. Partly it's due to the requirement of the Ali act so promoters focus on smaller aspects of the card and not the sanctioning or distribution aspects like the UFC does.
That really is different. Thanks for the info Mr. Whipple.

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 1:05 AM
CindyO

12 -
CindyO - 
mrwhipple - 
Tat2tillidie - 

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

Maybe they should, but looking at the undercard purses ($1.2 mil, $800k, $250K, $100k) most fighters seems to have aslo entered the fight better paid than most other fighters.

What does what other fighters make or not make have to do with how much THESE guys make on an eleventy-billion dollar gate and PPV? How many fighters on the card got PPV points? I don't follow boxing so I don't know what the norms are. Has pay been released for the entire card or just for the notable money makers? Thanks.

Cindy

I don't know,but im going to say any boxer that fought in a championship fight made more then 24,000.
I guess thats the disadvantage of landing a multi-fight contract. Title opportunities come when they come and when they do, you're paid your contracted amount at the time. Are you saying they should do something different? If do, what?

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 1:14 AM
DatSpider
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SKARHEAD - 
Tommy Gunnz - 
Phisher -
Tommy Gunnz - it blows my mind Mayweather is such a draw being that he fights such an unexciting and fights guys who have no chance to beat him

LOL. People were claiming that Mayweather was afraid to fight Canelo a few months ago and that he was going to duck him. Now, he's just some can who was mever a threat and certainly not the #1 Jr. MW who had significant size advantage over Floyd.

Unreal.

if you know anything about boxing, Canelo never stood more than a punchers chance

Guess what? Garcia (likely his next opponent) doesn't either Phone Post 3.0

LOL, please...if u knew anything about.boxing you would.be a bigger fan of Floyd, wouldn't.find his style boring, and would admit Canelo is a good as good opponent as any...solid, undefeated, and larger.

This makes no sense.

According to your logic, any MMA fan is/should be, automatically, a GSP fan.

Wut
9/20/13 1:22 AM
Thacommish
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
mrwhipple - 
Tat2tillidie - 

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

Cindy

" LOL@ bitching about what the UFC DOES do when no one else does shit! Where are your rants about them? Lets start with Bellator owned by VIACOM:)

Cindy"

Oh the ironing.
9/20/13 1:24 AM
Thacommish
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh ufc pay is being mentioned, let me bring up bellator to show you how wrong you are. Oh you bring up ufc in boxing discussion? lets focus on THESE guys. Please.
9/20/13 1:42 AM
PrettyBoy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO -
12 -
CindyO - 
mrwhipple - 
Tat2tillidie - 

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

Cindy

I don't know,but im going to say any boxer that fought in a championship fight made more then 24,000.
I guess thats the disadvantage of landing a multi-fight contract. Title opportunities come when they come and when they do, you're paid your contracted amount at the time. Are you saying they should do something different? If do, what?

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
How about pay people their market rate. Pacman makes about 15-20 million when he sells 700k. The UFC supposedly sold 1.6 million views for UFC 100 an they are saying the highest payout is 5 million. Come on son.

Then the UFC host Rondas coming out party which they claim had more media attention than any other event in history and they paid her fucking opponent 12k to show! That is shameful. 400k buys and you pay someone in the main event 12k? Unless her bonus is 500k who gives a shit if she gets one?

JCC and Martinez sold about 400k for their fight and they both were paid millions.

What the UFC is doing is absolute abuse. What good is a multifight contract when they can cut you at anytime? Fighters get no benefit out of that system they just get shackled to low wages. Then they throw them some chump change of their profits as bonuses to try to act like good guys in the back and keep the employees loyal it's really sad to watch. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 2:15 AM
Bbr

This is just USA stats right? Imagine the money generated from views around the world. Okay not as much as ppv in the states but adds to the overall pot ?? Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 3:05 AM
Lex_o

Canelo is hardly getting any love for the amount of people he brought to the fights. He's the reason so many people watched. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 3:11 AM
Ringworm74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fighters should get paid for what they agreed to. Phone Post
9/20/13 7:00 AM
ANT_P1989
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lex_o - Canelo is hardly getting any love for the amount of people he brought to the fights. He's the reason so many people watched. Phone Post 3.0
More people tune into see Floyd tho...Because a lot of folks wanna see him lose, probably more than the folks who enjoy his precision style and winning, like me. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 7:51 AM
scarfacedave
438 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canelo is a huge draw with Mexican fans which accounted for a large portion of PPV buys.
9/20/13 8:41 AM
lockon
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gokudamus stole my name iv -
microMx - 
gokudamus stole my name iv - That's a lot of people spending 2 hours being bored on a Saturday night.

lol @ bored, did you watch the mathysse vs garcia fight?

that fight was worth the ppv buy

No, and I doubt the majority of the people who bought the PPV even turned it on before the Mayweather fight.
Boxing is dead.

- Dorkus Phone Post
9/20/13 8:45 AM
georgejonesjr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gokudamus stole my name iv - "People really like different things. Mayweather is a huge draw among people who love technical boxing, and there are more than enough of those in the US to give him 2.2 million PPV buys."

Do you honestly believe the 2.2 million buys had anything to do with people who love technical boxing, and not mobs of casuals ordering the latest megafight for their party?

What percentage of that 2.2 million do you think EVER watch boxing the rest of the year?

Actually yes, many people watch Mayweather because they consider him the best boxer out there. Not the biggest slugger, not the best brawler, but the best boxer.

I'd guess about half of his 2.2 million watch at least one other boxing PPV over the course of the year. Mayweather is in the enviable position that almost everyone in the US who buys any boxing PPV will buy his for sure. If you buy Ward, you'll also buy Mayweather, etc.
9/20/13 8:49 AM
Phisher

Edited: 09/20/13 8:53 AM
Lex_o - Canelo is hardly getting any love for the amount of people he brought to the fights. He's the reason so many people watched. Phone Post 3.0

The fact that he was fighting Floyd was the reason that many people watched. If he were this kind of draw by himself he'd be doing at least a million PPV buys everytime out. This is first time that he headlined a real PPV card.

9/20/13 8:58 AM
Metafour

Tommy Gunnz - it blows my mind Mayweather is such a draw being that he fights such an unexciting and fights guys who have no chance to beat him
I was actually really entertained watching the fight. His defense is brilliant. Phone Post
9/20/13 9:07 AM
lockon
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher -
Lex_o - Canelo is hardly getting any love for the amount of people he brought to the fights. He's the reason so many people watched. Phone Post 3.0

The fact that he was fighting Floyd was the reason that many people watched. If he were this kind of draw by himself he'd be doing at least a million PPV buys everytime out. This is first time that he headlined a real PPV card.

I don't think the poster you're quoting genuinely believes Canelo is the sole, or even main reason, this PPV broke the revenue record.

Hard to imagine anyone believing that, but it's undeniable Canelo's generated lots of buzz and starpower even prior to this fight and it takes two to sell a PPV. I mean, that's kind of why it broke a record with him specifically opposite of Floyd.

He deserves some credit. Phone Post
9/20/13 9:57 AM
leifdawg
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tommy Gunnz - 
Phisher -
Tommy Gunnz - it blows my mind Mayweather is such a draw being that he fights such an unexciting and fights guys who have no chance to beat him

LOL. People were claiming that Mayweather was afraid to fight Canelo a few months ago and that he was going to duck him. Now, he's just some can who was mever a threat and certainly not the #1 Jr. MW who had significant size advantage over Floyd.

Unreal.

if you know anything about boxing, Canelo never stood more than a punchers chance

Guess what? Garcia (likely his next opponent) doesn't either Phone Post 3.0

Who in his weight range stands much more than puncher's chance? And don't say Manny, because Floyd was always a stylistic nightmare for a fighter like Pacman.
9/20/13 5:02 PM
Skeezy420
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its like Howard Stern, half his listeners we're loyalist who loves him. The other half and most "loyal listeners" we're his haters. 

Im sure this is how it is with Floyd. Half the sales are people who love him, consider him the GOAT or top 5.. the other are the haters who want to see him lose.

Either way, it works for him and = $$$

9/20/13 5:26 PM
bhealthy

CindyO - They should give bonuses to all if the fighters on the card... Just because they can:)

Cindy Phone Post 3.0

wouldnt be surprised if floyd did exactly that out of his own pocket. hell, MOST of the cats on that card EARNED a bonus.
9/20/13 6:35 PM
CindyO

bhealthy -
CindyO - They should give bonuses to all if the fighters on the card... Just because they can:)

Cindy Phone Post 3.0

wouldnt be surprised if floyd did exactly that out of his own pocket. hell, MOST of the cats on that card EARNED a bonus.
That would be awesome, but only if they performed well, IMO. Do you think he'd keep it a secret or would he share his story of generosity with the media?

Might buy his next PPV if I find out he gave some game changing bonuses to the lower end guys for a job well done instead of being greedy and selfish.

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 6:44 PM
Thacommish

PrettyBoy - 
CindyO -
12 -
CindyO - 
mrwhipple - 
Tat2tillidie - 

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

Cindy

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
How about pay people their market rate. Pacman makes about 15-20 million when he sells 700k. The UFC supposedly sold 1.6 million views for UFC 100 an they are saying the highest payout is 5 million. Come on son.

Then the UFC host Rondas coming out party which they claim had more media attention than any other event in history and they paid her fucking opponent 12k to show! That is shameful. 400k buys and you pay someone in the main event 12k? Unless her bonus is 500k who gives a shit if she gets one?

JCC and Martinez sold about 400k for their fight and they both were paid millions.

What the UFC is doing is absolute abuse. What good is a multifight contract when they can cut you at anytime? Fighters get no benefit out of that system they just get shackled to low wages. Then they throw them some chump change of their profits as bonuses to try to act like good guys in the back and keep the employees loyal it's really sad to watch. Phone Post 3.0

I agree, odd how this just got ignored.
9/20/13 7:26 PM
Lex_o

Phisher -

If you think canelo fights don't get views I hope you enjoyed your 1 boxing match this year. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 7:35 PM
gregbrady
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
Pitbull3744 -

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
UFC technically could also no? Phone Post 3.0
They do, unless a fighter absolutely sucked. Zuffa invented paying fighters more than their contracted amount on a regular basis, son.

Cindy Phone Post 3.0

that's because their contracted amount is a joke compared to the revenue they bring in.

nobody is buying a UFC PPV to watch Dana Whit's management skills. we're buying it to see the fighters fight. why would any athlete get into mma when they could get into boxing and be treated far better?

It's crazy that the fighters only get paid marginally better now than they did ten years ago.
9/20/13 9:56 PM
Yun
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any other fighters in boxing pull this much number?  like... what's the second highest?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.