UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan still believe UFC is "Swallowing" Boxing ?

9/21/13 10:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
antifanboy devon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatonBeever -
CapnKindBud - Who goes on an mma forum to start bashing the sport? That's a serious troll thing to do but ok, I'll play. Boxing is on the decline. Mma is on the way up. Boxing has been around for way longer and has deep roots in the USA's psyche .
Given time, I believe that mma will grow very much and the fans will reflect that in far larger numbers than you see today . Phone Post 3.0

Who's bashing the sport of MMA ?   UFC is not a sport, its an organization that talked a big talk with one of its commentators going on ESPN and making stupid idiot statements of "UFC will swallow Boxing".  I'm here to say that it DIDNT HAPPEN!

... Someone made a prediction that didn't turn out to be correct? Is the world still turning? Calm Down buddy. Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 11:27 AM
CaptainPlanet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

R1WARRIOR - You guys should stop comparing numbers. I think Rogan is right, here's why: a big part of the boxing fans are getting old, most of them are baby boomers, but still watching it, and that's a lot of poeple. Problem is, and think about it, do you hear a lot about boxing from the 35 yo and younger people around you?? In my case they are all mma fans, and never or very rarely talk about boxing. So in 20 years.... I don't know but that's how i see it. Phone Post 3.0
The only people in the 35 and under demographic that aren't talking about boxing are white, for whatever reason. Boxing remains huge in the Latino and black communities here in the states. At the same time, MMA seems to lack that crossover appeal. Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 12:00 PM
Chris27

AndersonSilvasMoney - 
EatonBeever - 

PPVs that Went over 500k
2008 - 7 PPVs
2009 - 7 PPVs
2010 - 11 PPVs <------ UFC peaked w/ Brock Lesnar
2011 - 3 PPVs
2012 - 5 PPVs
2013 - 3 PPVs

Can you UFC fan boys read this ??  You see when you go from 11 ppvs to 3 (granted still three months left for UFC) that break over 500,000 ppv buyrates - that means the numbers are DOWN...

Let me repeat that - when you go from 11 to 3 , that means the numbers went down.  Can you guys count ?  No one is 'talking shit about mma on a MMA forum' - we are discussing a rebuttal and facts to Joe Rogan's idiot statement about UFC swallowing Boxing, which as a fan of both sports, highly embarassing to be supporting MMA when the main commentator is saying stupid shit like that.

Why are you arbitrarily only looking at everything above 500K? Here are the average UFC PPV buys per year since 2006:

2006: 527
2007: 447.63
2008: 528.75
2009: 616.92
2010: 522.69
2011: 398.46
2012 448.84
2013: 480

(in thousands)
(Source: http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/)

If you take out the outlier of UFC 100 in 2009 (1.6 million) then 2009 is about 535K on average. Since 2011 (UFC's low point in terms of buys) the trend has been steadily upwards, but hasn't crested its peak (2009). This data includes Jung-Aldo but not Bendo-Pettis since I don't think those numbers are out yet.

UFC still has 4 PPV that all should do 500k or more which would make it 7 this year.

Nobody is denying mma peaked in 2010 and has gone down in the US but PPV numbers are up and should be the biggest since 2010.  So yeah its not what it was years ago but its moving back up from the last few years which is a good sign.  Well for fans who like the sport and want it to do well its a good sign.

9/21/13 12:56 PM
HenryO

nobones - 

Captian planet hit on a good point. Demographics matter, and MMA hasn't significantly crossed over to ethnic minorities who dominate the boxing market. U.S. Latinos in particular are the fastest growing demo within the U.S. and they are still huge boxing fans, BUT would be ameable to MMA if you could sell them on the stars. 

Cain should be a hit, but IMO the UFC doesn't promote Cain in the right way. And Cain doesn't do himself any favors by being so soft spoken. But this can change if they play up Pettis in the right way, who should resonate with the Puerto Rican fans, who are huge into boxing. UFC could also play up Erik Perez, who I know lost his last fight, but if he can bounce back - is the first Mexican-born fighter that can help introduce the sport to that huge audience. 

UFC still has lots of room to grow, but they can do it if they market themselves correctly. 

Did being soft spoken ever hurt just about every big mexican boxing star?

People like the high level of technique and great fights that happen at the top levels of boxing.

MMA fights arent on that level yet, and may never get there. MMA is still about a lot of fights and the quick finish
9/21/13 2:02 PM
CaliKush
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think annually the global population watched more mma than boxing Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 2:26 PM
Jons Forsberg

Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous -  I think most people are ignoring the fact that boxing has had a head start of HUNDREDS of years to build up a fan base. Phone Post

10 years in the facebook/twitter/iphone era > 100 years in radio and black and white TV and newspaper.
True, but only among the demographics most comfortable with modern technology. Old fucks tend to reject new things, including both MMA and digital media. Phone Post

people said boxing fans were old and dying off 10 years ago, it just sold the all time PPV record last week. It's an old easy to debunk fallacy.
Regardless of what was said ten years ago, older people are still less likely to stream things and less likely to understand MMA. Younger fans generally can appreciate BOTH sports, and by having a good number of fans both young and old, boxing is able to capitalize the opportunity and outpace MMA, which is generally limited to the younger audience at present. Phone Post

old people are less likely to stream things but they're more likely to gather families to watch boxing PPV. Minorities gather to watch their national heroes, sometimes 20 or more people watching the same PPV. I personally saw Pacquaio vs Hatton around 20 Pinoys. MMA does not create national heroes, Cain with Mexico mouthpiece sold 380k PPV against Bigfoot.
You're putting the cart before the horse on the whole "national heroes" argument. The reason boxing is deeply ingrained is not that the stars are national heroes, but rather boxers become national heroes through success at a sport that's already deeply ingrained. Soccer has been creating national heroes for hundreds of years, baseball has for about a hundred, football for 60 or so. It takes a long time for biases to wear off over the scope of whole societies, even in the information age. Rogan may have jumped the gun to imagine the takeover was happening so quickly, but I think he's right to assume that an unbiased person is more likely to choose a more diverse combat sport. The mistake he made was a failure to recognize that, at the time of his interview, the oldest of the people that would lack a cultural and longevity based bias favoring boxing were barely out of diapers. Phone Post

" boxers become national heroes through success at a sport that's already deeply ingrained"

that's not true, the sport doesn't have do been deeply ingrained in a a country to create heroes. Look at Anderson Silva for instance, a hero overnight in Brazil without MMA ever being mainstream there. GSP in Canada, same thing. Minorities aren't sport fans, they're fans of one of their own winning. When you have a star, then the sport is successful. The UFC has failed and build up stars of the magnitude of boxing up to this point.
9/21/13 2:32 PM
HoldYerGround
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JudOWNED - Haven't read this whole thread, but would be interesting to see the comparison between total UFC (or even MMA) PPV buys in a year, versus total boxing PPV buys in a year. Would also be interesting to see a comparison of "free" MMA events vs "free" boxing events, both in number of events as well as ratings they pulled.

Either way, my enjoyment of MMA has nothing to do with whether or not it is "swallowing" or killing boxing. But it is cool to have seen the sport grow so much and so fast within such a relatively short time. That people even bother to compare it to boxing, which has been around in it's current form for over a hundred years, is pretty amazing.
This.

Net UFC ppv buys a year vs. net boxing

Net free UFC viewership vs. its counterpart as well.

Everything else is speculation Phone Post
9/21/13 3:15 PM
tenchu

MMA is taking over in the US.

Here are some US popularity STATISTICS. A recent 2013 US fan avidity combat sports survey by Scarborough shows that fan avidity for UFC and boxing is pretty close overall.

Boxing has the UFC beat in the older demographics. But UFC has boxing beat in the younger demographics. This is significant, as this demographic trend supports a bigger, sustainable growth for MMA.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/04/22/In-Depth/Fight-fan-avidity.aspx
9/21/13 3:59 PM
Mojo514

the UFC aint goin nowhere, its only gonna keep growin
9/21/13 4:05 PM
EatonBeever
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RockyBullwinkle - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  5 million is most a ufc fighter made. Phone Post

It's sad to think how many boxers have made more than that in the last 12 months alone.
Mayweather $41 mil plus ppv which might bring it up to $100 mil (and $32 mil his last fight)
Canelo Alvazez $5 mil plus ppv bonus for minimum $12 mil and maybe up to $20 mil
Manny Pacquiao $22 mil guaranteed plus ppv bonus that brought it up to $30 mil
Juan Miguel Marquez $6 mil
Chavez JR $3 mil plus ppv bonus which brought it up to estimated $5-6 mil

And next month we have
Wladimir Klitchko $17.5 mil
Alexander Povetkin $5.8 mil
Tyson Fury $7.5 mil
Daid Haye $7.5 mil

That's at least 9 boxers that have made more than any UFC fighter ever in the 13 months.And there's probably a couple dozen more I can rap off that have made around a mil or more during that time.

UFC fighters make pennies, the bulk of the profit goes to UFC, not the fighters.    Gustaffson, great record , he wont be getting a million for his fight tonight.  Canelo, who is similar to Gustaffson (great record, hasnt fought too many 'big fights', no mainstream) got 20 million.

9/21/13 4:09 PM
Josh_underground
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatonBeever -
2013 UFC PPV numbers

UFC 156 'Aldo vs. Edgar - 330k

UFC 157 'Rousey vs. Carmouche' - 450k

UFC 158 'GSP vs. Diaz' - 950k <----Dream Match, Diaz a Superstar. GSP a Superstar...Hence the big ppv #'s

UFC 159 'Jones vs. Sonnen' - 550k

UFC 160 'Cain vs. Bigfoot 2' - 380k <---This was a HW championship fight which is suppose to be the biggest fights of them all, and yet lowest ppv buyrate.  Pathetic UFC cant even promote a HW champion.....

UFC 161 'Henderson vs. Evans' - 180k

UFC 162 'Anderson vs. Weidman' - 550k

UFC 163 'Aldo vs. Korean Zombie' - 170k

We are toward the end of the year and these numbers are MUCH lower than the previous 5 years.  I know there is a rumor UFC is for sale which is probably untrue, but if the UFC is on the decline which it is, I can def see Zuffa cashing in on its popularity before it dies off like pro wrestling of 90's.

I have no problem with what you're saying. Except for the GSP vs nick Diaz being star vs star. GSP could fight a box and he would pull great PPV buys. Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 4:17 PM
tenchu

Remember when boxing was more popular? People laughed at MMA being a threat. Things have changed in the US... and in a relatively short amount of time.

Could the same happen globally?

People like Eaton Beaver are worried.
9/21/13 4:22 PM
CaliKush
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RockyBullwinkle -
CaliKush - I think annually the global population watched more mma than boxing Phone Post 3.0

I really doubt that. UFC draws more on network tv compared to cable in the US and big numbers in Brazil, but Mayweather-Canelo just did a 75 share (21 mil homes) in Mexico, Klitchko-Povetkins fight will draw huge, huge numbers all across Europe. Probably over 100 mil. And Zou Shiming drew an audience of 300 mil in China. Boxing even outdraws MMA in Japan now.
Oh, gotcha Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 4:30 PM
Hikikomori
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mma is too expensive for the average person to pick up. boxing is dirt cheap and free in many countries for young kids to get into. martinez had 80k show up to his fight in argentina. boxing is cultural. i dont think mma will ever have that feeling outside of brazil or connor mcgregar.
9/21/13 4:35 PM
PrettyBoy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh_underground -
EatonBeever -
2013 UFC PPV numbers

UFC 156 'Aldo vs. Edgar - 330k

UFC 157 'Rousey vs. Carmouche' - 450k

UFC 158 'GSP vs. Diaz' - 950k <----Dream Match, Diaz a Superstar. GSP a Superstar...Hence the big ppv #'s

UFC 159 'Jones vs. Sonnen' - 550k

UFC 160 'Cain vs. Bigfoot 2' - 380k <---This was a HW championship fight which is suppose to be the biggest fights of them all, and yet lowest ppv buyrate.  Pathetic UFC cant even promote a HW champion.....

UFC 161 'Henderson vs. Evans' - 180k

UFC 162 'Anderson vs. Weidman' - 550k

UFC 163 'Aldo vs. Korean Zombie' - 170k

We are toward the end of the year and these numbers are MUCH lower than the previous 5 years.  I know there is a rumor UFC is for sale which is probably untrue, but if the UFC is on the decline which it is, I can def see Zuffa cashing in on its popularity before it dies off like pro wrestling of 90's.

I have no problem with what you're saying. Except for the GSP vs nick Diaz being star vs star. GSP could fight a box and he would pull great PPV buys. Phone Post 3.0
Rumor is GSP doesn't like boxes. Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 5:28 PM
Bobby Lupo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing has always outdrawn MMA in Japan. During the height of Pride and K-1, Kameda Brothers boxing matches dwarfed them both
9/21/13 5:43 PM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous -  I think most people are ignoring the fact that boxing has had a head start of HUNDREDS of years to build up a fan base. Phone Post

10 years in the facebook/twitter/iphone era > 100 years in radio and black and white TV and newspaper.
True, but only among the demographics most comfortable with modern technology. Old fucks tend to reject new things, including both MMA and digital media. Phone Post

people said boxing fans were old and dying off 10 years ago, it just sold the all time PPV record last week. It's an old easy to debunk fallacy.
Regardless of what was said ten years ago, older people are still less likely to stream things and less likely to understand MMA. Younger fans generally can appreciate BOTH sports, and by having a good number of fans both young and old, boxing is able to capitalize the opportunity and outpace MMA, which is generally limited to the younger audience at present. Phone Post

old people are less likely to stream things but they're more likely to gather families to watch boxing PPV. Minorities gather to watch their national heroes, sometimes 20 or more people watching the same PPV. I personally saw Pacquaio vs Hatton around 20 Pinoys. MMA does not create national heroes, Cain with Mexico mouthpiece sold 380k PPV against Bigfoot.
You're putting the cart before the horse on the whole "national heroes" argument. The reason boxing is deeply ingrained is not that the stars are national heroes, but rather boxers become national heroes through success at a sport that's already deeply ingrained. Soccer has been creating national heroes for hundreds of years, baseball has for about a hundred, football for 60 or so. It takes a long time for biases to wear off over the scope of whole societies, even in the information age. Rogan may have jumped the gun to imagine the takeover was happening so quickly, but I think he's right to assume that an unbiased person is more likely to choose a more diverse combat sport. The mistake he made was a failure to recognize that, at the time of his interview, the oldest of the people that would lack a cultural and longevity based bias favoring boxing were barely out of diapers. Phone Post

" boxers become national heroes through success at a sport that's already deeply ingrained"

that's not true, the sport doesn't have do been deeply ingrained in a a country to create heroes. Look at Anderson Silva for instance, a hero overnight in Brazil without MMA ever being mainstream there. GSP in Canada, same thing. Minorities aren't sport fans, they're fans of one of their own winning. When you have a star, then the sport is successful. The UFC has failed and build up stars of the magnitude of boxing up to this point.
Brazil is a bit of an anomaly due to being the birthplace of bjj and a Mecca for Thai boxing. It makes sense that it's a culture which is very supportive of MMA. In that sense, Brazil has had something of a head start for ingratiating its culture with MMA to the point where it can create national stars. Phone Post
9/21/13 6:00 PM
Bingo'ed in Brazil
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for eventual CindyO vs Eatonbeaver Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 6:52 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatonBeever - 
RockyBullwinkle - 

It's sad to think how many boxers have made more than that in the last 12 months alone.
Mayweather $41 mil plus ppv which might bring it up to $100 mil (and $32 mil his last fight)
Canelo Alvazez $5 mil plus ppv bonus for minimum $12 mil and maybe up to $20 mil

And next month we have
Tyson Fury $7.5 mil
Daid Haye $7.5 mil

That's at least 9 boxers that have made more than any UFC fighter ever in the 13 months.And there's probably a couple dozen more I can rap off that have made around a mil or more during that time.

UFC fighters make pennies, the bulk of the profit goes to UFC, not the fighters.    Gustaffson, great record , he wont be getting a million for his fight tonight.  Canelo, who is similar to Gustaffson (great record, hasnt fought too many 'big fights', no mainstream) got 20 million.

Great point!
9/21/13 6:59 PM
jacktripper

R1WARRIOR - You guys should stop comparing numbers. I think Rogan is right, here's why: a big part of the boxing fans are getting old, most of them are baby boomers, but still watching it, and that's a lot of poeple. Problem is, and think about it, do you hear a lot about boxing from the 35 yo and younger people around you?? In my case they are all mma fans, and never or very rarely talk about boxing. So in 20 years.... I don't know but that's how i see it. Phone Post 3.0
And see how many kids are in bjj compared to boxing gyms, it's not even close... Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 7:28 PM
The Sultan
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you compare ppv numbers between ufc and boxing, you need to compare the culmination of ufc events that take place during the time it takes between boxing ppvs.

Ufc puts on way more events than boxing and thus the ufc ppv buy rates Will be lower per show. Phone Post
9/21/13 8:02 PM
tenchu

Yes, a sport is cultural, but culture can change... as it has with boxing in the US. The demographic trend now favors MMA, with MMA more popular in the lower age groups (see stats I posted from Scarborough research on previous page)

And this is the US, where boxing has been rooted for decades, with the greatest champions being from the uS.

The UFC keeps growing globally and could also see the same trend in other countries as well (as it already has).

The future is bright for MMA.
9/21/13 8:10 PM
HenryO

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - 
EatonBeever - 
RockyBullwinkle - 

And next month we have
Tyson Fury $7.5 mil
Daid Haye $7.5 mil

Great point!

Canelo also draws what 22 million viewers or something in MExico

I dont see the comparison with Gustaffson lol
9/21/13 11:36 PM
EatonBeever
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - 
EatonBeever - 
RockyBullwinkle - 

And next month we have
Tyson Fury $7.5 mil
Daid Haye $7.5 mil

Great point!

Canelo also draws what 22 million viewers or something in MExico

I dont see the comparison with Gustaffson lol

Boxing organizations promote the superstars.  UFC promotes itself - hence why Canelo has the hugh Mexico following and Gustaffson probably not well known in Sweden because the UFC refuses to create superstars - instead they label them as 'contenders' for the all mighty UFC championship title because the UFC believes its more important than the fighters themselves..Which will bite them in the ass as numbers continue to decline from 2008-2010....

If the UFC can't even promote Cain Velasquez HW title fights properly (UFC 160 which ecumulated a whoping 380,000 ppv buyrate for a Cain HW title fight), then they really are going to become known in history as the WWE of the 90's - had its fame and peak, but declined into low numbers.

The UFC really brought itself attention at UFC 40 by signing Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz - this was a superstar match up that everyone wanted to see.  They did well like that - even promoted Liddell, Ortiz, Franklin, Belfort, GSP, Hughes, BJ Penn & Randy Couture.  Then once they got Brock Lesnar, that was a mega star.  But after buying Pride, they had this idea that they ruled the MMA world and to eliminate 'superstars' and trying to continue to build the 'name brand'.   Use a few big names to headline a card, fill the rest with pure shit.  Pure shit wins, they get another fight, if they lose - cut them.  Continue cycle and collect the profits.    Fighters in 2004 are getting the same amount of money as in 2013.  And people are too blind with their love for UFC to realize that things aren't changing for the better. 

So while Danny Garcia, Canelo Alvarez, and Floyd Mayweather are collecting millions from their one fight - UFC fighters are 'fighting safe' to continue to collect their 15-30k paycheck and hoping for that backdoor pay Dana absolutely loves to give to the fighter that is not broadcasted on the internet.  That sounded so dirty - u know, avoiding taxes and stuff...

9/22/13 12:44 AM
Reasonable
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - 
man meets fate - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun -
EatonBeever - 

PPVs that Went over 500k
2008 - 7 PPVs
2009 - 7 PPVs
2010 - 11 PPVs <------ UFC peaked w/ Brock Lesnar
2011 - 3 PPVs
2012 - 5 PPVs
2013 - 3 PPVs

Can you UFC fan boys read this ??  You see when you go from 11 ppvs to 3 (granted still three months left for UFC) that break over 500,000 ppv buyrates - that means the numbers are DOWN...

Let me repeat that - when you go from 11 to 3 , that means the numbers went down.  Can you guys count ?  No one is 'talking shit about mma on a MMA forum' - we are discussing a rebuttal and facts to Joe Rogan's idiot statement about UFC swallowing Boxing, which as a fan of both sports, highly embarassing to be supporting MMA when the main commentator is saying stupid shit like that.

10 of the top 15 ppvs of 2012 were from the UFC, 4 were from boxing and 3 of those were from Floyd or Pac. Take away boxings biggest stars and people stop watching. People will watch UFC regardless because the brand and sport is bigger than the fighters and in boxing it is the opposite.
That is such a crock of shit theory.

Hey why don't we take out boxing and ufc ppvs and see how many wwe ppvs doing amazing vs the shit of tna?

Your taking out basically all of there ppvs.

How about this, leave 1 manny or floyd ppv and take out all of ufcs biggest draws except 1 and pick 1 card in a year and pick 4 of any without them and see how shit ufc looks in terms of buys without them.

You will see nothing but hendo/evans and aldo/kz numbers Phone Post

what does WWE vs TNA have to do with anything?

10 of the top 15 ppvs were from the UFC, this includes both of the fake wrestling sports, UFC and boxing

the next part of your post is confusing but let me see if I can understand.

You want me to compare a GSP card vs a Floyd or Pac card? Then choose any 4 cards I want from the UFC and stack it against boxing?

I may have missed it, but is there a source for this: "...10 of the top 15 ppvs were from the UFC, this includes both of the fake wrestling sports, UFC and boxing."

The top 10 in 2011 was easy to find and is attached below, but 2012 will take some work. Interesting numbers nonetheless...

Top 10 PPV shows of 2011 (estimated figures for Dec. 30 Lesnar vs. Overeem are not available)

1. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Nov. 12; 1,410,000 buys
2. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz, Sept. 19; 1,250,000 buys
3. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Shane Mosley, May 7; 1,100,000 buys
4. UFC 129: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jake Shields, April 30; 800,000 buys
5. UFC 126: Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort, Feb. 5; 725,000 buys
6. WWE WrestleMania 27: Headliners John Cena, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, The Miz, April 3; 680,000 buys
7. Boxing: Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito, Dec. 3; 600,000 buys
8. UFC 133: Jon Jones vs. Rampage Jackson, Sept. 24; 520,000 buys
9. UFC 128: Jon Jones vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, March 19; 490,000 buys
10. UFC 140: Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida, Dec. 10; 480,000 buys.

Since we know Overeem/Lesnar did 750K that would put it at # 5 and knock Jones Machida out. That means in 2011 the top ten PPVs were 4 boxing (4.3 Mil) 5 UFC (3.3 Mil) 1 Wrestling (680K)

Seems like both sports are doing pretty well. Also, a couple of other points:

- The Contender, while cancelled, was pulling 6 - 9 Million viewers on network TV. I doubt The ultimate fighter would pull anything near that which is why Fox had it on FX.

- ESPN 2 Friday Night Fights gets about 500K viewers per week for years with virtually no named fighters.

- Boxing on Showtime outperformed MMA on Showtime by a huge margin (almost double) It's not the UFC but it is an indicator.

Not sure you can draw a conclusion from any of this, but the data is interesting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.