UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan still believe UFC is "Swallowing" Boxing ?

9/20/13 12:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thatcpjguy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twelvers hav superior genetics - Rogan is fucking hilarious in that video!

For those who have never seen it and can't be bothered to watch it Joe actually says this to Boxing promoter to Lou DiBella back in 2008

'The famous people that you have right now are the only famous people that are going to exist in the future for Boxing. The Oscar de la Hoyas, the Bernard Hopkins, the Jermaine Taylors. The guys who were already famous before UFC came along. There will be no new ones they will all go to MMA'.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the fuck does this guy keep getting taken seriously by people when he repeatedly confuses his own ridiculous opinions as somehow being facts? Was slightly wrong in this little prediction to put it mildly. No mention of Pacquiao because he didn't foresee how big a star he was going to become.

Haven't got the figures to hand but I remember the Haye vs Klitsckho fight doing numbers in Europe and worldwide that are galaxies above anything the UFC could ever dream of now or in the next decade. There are tons of new stars worldwide in Boxing since 2008 and why do so many dumb Americans think that just because a sport isn't as popular here as it used to be means it dead or dying? Boxing is doing better in Europe and around the world then it ever has before. With popularity the UFC can only dream of. It's bigger then ever worldwide! It's a stronger and healthier sport then it was in 2008.

Just recently in the UK Carl Froch vs George Groves sold out 18000 tickets in just 11 minutes???? This is supposed to be a sport that is dying and getting swallowed up?
Because if it doesn't sell here we don't give a fuck. We'll treat it like soccer. Most Americans don't even know the klitchko brothers even exist. Boxing will never be dead but to act like mayweather's popularity carries over to the rest of the sport is asinine. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 12:31 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

The UFC ppvs so far have done 3.56 million buys and there are still several left.

How many boxing PPVs have there been in 2013 that we can add to the 2.2 million of Floyd/Canelo?

"It was broner vs paulie malignaagi."

That fight did 1.3 million viewers, peak. Shogun vs Sonnen on FS1 did 1.7 million, average, on a brand new channel no one has heard of.
9/20/13 12:32 PM
CaptainPlanet

Adrien Broner and Danny Garcia will carry the torch once Floyd retires. American boxing is going nowhere. And it's even bigger internationally. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 12:39 PM
CaptainPlanet

Silverball -
georgejonesjr - 
Silverball - When MMA pay improves, the sport will attract the best athletes, who will have trained for MMA specifically from a much younger age...like boxing, and every other professional sport of note. When that happens, MMA will maybe swallow boxing. The questions is, how far off in the future are we talking?

I'd guess about the same time football swallows basketball or hockey or baseball.

Most sports fans watch more than one kind of sport. Its really not a zero sum game, MMA and boxing will co-exist as well as football and baseball, basketball and hockey.

If anything, I think MMA is making a number of sports (wrestling for sure, but also judo and BJJ, and yes, boxing too) more popular among young folks than they were before. The local boxing club has said that they're seeing more guys coming to train (initially to cross train for MMA, then often staying) than they had for awhile, and a lot of these guys have turned into fans of boxing in general - they watch both boxing and MMA.

Sports just aren't a zero sum game. You only have to turn to the sports forums and see how many pro sport leagues there are to see that.

Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey all require different skill sets and physical attributes, which is one of the reasons that one doesn't "swallow" the rest. In addition, the pay for NBA, NFL, and MLB guarantees that the level of athlete entering these sports is as high level as we are currently capable of producing in this country, starting at pee wee and pop warner levels, then high school, college, etc. The process of weeding out the best of the best.

That said, those three sports in particular have had a huge effect on boxing, just look at the state of of amateur boxing today, and compare that to amateur boxing prior to the Magic, Bird, Jordan eras of basketball. That drop off in level of athlete, and competition is the reason why people, like Rogan, question the longevity of boxing, in spite of evens like last Saturday's two million sales pay per view Mayweather fight. I didn't say that MMA would swallow boxing, I said it's a maybe, in the future, but co-exist it might. The real threat to boxing is not MMA, but continues to be the NBA and the NFL.
The only part of boxing in the states being affected by team sports are the heavier divisions. And I think PBF has proven that you don't need to be a big guy to carry the sport. In fact, this was already proven by SRL in the 80's. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 12:40 PM
Chris27

Pitbull3744 - When is the next boxing PPV and who is on it? Phone Post 3.0

Oct 12th, HBO PPV boxing.

JMM vs Tim Bradley. 

Then Nov Manny vs Rios. 

9/20/13 12:57 PM
Standup29

James III -
Standup29 - 
James III -
Standup29 -  I am still waiting for someone to post a boxing card that did not have Floyd or Manny on the card that had over 500k ppv buys in 2012 or 2013.

I enjoy boxing and grew up watching it like most of us over 30 and know it doesn't have anywhere near the popularity it did in the 80's and 90's.

I will watch any combat sport on tv but there is no denying it as a whole is in the decline. MMA is not growing like it was but it certainly is very healthy as a whole especially if it is compared to boxing. Phone Post

Sky box office in the UK don't release PPV numbers but it was widely reported that the Haye vs Chisora fight last year in the UK generated around 800,000 buys in 2012.

Considering the how small the UK population is (1/6) compared to the USA those numbers are very impressive. . Haye has pulled in some great numbers for Sky against also Harrision and Klitsckho. Even if Haye vs Fury only pulled in 300,000 this weekened for a country with 60 million compared to 300+ million for the USA those numbers would be extremely impressive.

It's unfortunate that those who criticize Boxing do not seem to know much about it. Boxing in Europe has grown exponentially this last decade and the trend is clearly going up and up. MMA has made no dent at all because it is still unknown to 99.9% of the population and that isn't going to change anytime soon.
Do US boxing PPVs get purchased in the UK? I am quite familiar with boxing and live in Europe (Holland) and can never find any US fights anywhere on tv.

I am simply comparing apples to apples (us purchases) and do not believe outside of Floyd and Manny Boxing does better than MMA in the US on PPV (even minus the 2 top MMA draws) or on tv. Am I mistaken? If so I would love to see the numbers. Phone Post

Not really because they are on very early in the morning unless it involves a British fighter. Hatton vs Mayweather in 2007 for example. That fight was widely reported to do around a million buys in the UK which was incredible. Sky show a lot of big fights.

I look at it this way. If the popularity of Basketball goes down in one state but increases in several other states wouldn't logic dictate that it's overall popularity is actually on the up?

Same with Boxing in Europe and around the world. There are more boxing shows put on now then a decade ago. Overall it is increasing in popularity. There will be new stars after Mayweather there always will be. Remember Rogan said in 2008 there would be no new stars after De la hoya, Hopkins and Taylor. He didn't even mention Pacquiao so that shows he wasn't able to predict the future very well at all. Boxing is on the way up overall and even in America it's making a comeback these past few years.
Exactly my point. Boxing is big in other places outside of the us only because their fights are shown live. When a big fight happens here in Europe, fighters will watch. There are also currently very few European Champions in MMA on the big stage.

Part of the reason MMA is big in North America and Brazil is because they have champions and see fights live atba decent hour. If guys in the UK started dominating they would get the big fights there and the sport would grow.

Truth is these top draws in Europe are not top draws in the US unless one of the big two is involved. That is how I see it. Which European fighter draws big in the US when they aren't fighting Manny or Floyd and what American fighter outside of Floyd is doing big draws in Europe without a Hatton or Kahn tied to them?

I see more nationalism in the results more than anything and I still do not see boxing being as big today (outside of the obvious exceptions) as 15 years ago. MMA on the other hand is growing. Talent is getting better and when a European born Champion happens in the UFC I think you will see what I mean. Same with Mexicans, when a born.and raised Mexican becomes champion or fights for a title you will see big numbers. Phone Post
9/20/13 12:59 PM
MattyECB
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - Boxing is dead, there is literally no one left. The only numbers they ever see is when Floyd and manny fights that literally it.

UFC does PPV after PPV and always does impressive numbers and it's only getting better and growing. Boxing isn't growing at all. There are no heavyweights left and they used to run the show.

I'm surprised in you silly boys! Phone Post 3.0

Not sure if sarcastic...

Besides the fact that you think Floyd and Manny are the only draws, showing you really don't follow boxing at all and don't understand how huge it is in Europe(Klitchkos)/South-America(JMM) and certain parts of Asia to name a few other large draws, there's the simple fact that Boxing has always had a few big names dominate the market.

This is how it's almost always been, and there've always been people calling on the death of boxing. It's just an extra retarded movement now that retard boxing fans have started shitting on MMA, and retard MMA fans have started shitting on boxing.

Both sports are very different, neither is a, "real fight," both have different demographics and geographical concentrations, and both can co-exist very easily.
9/20/13 1:02 PM
MattyECB
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ And it's funny you say how boxing is dying while UFC is booming, when the UFC has started experiencing growing pains and plateauing in the face of its recent expansion and spiked events.

I don't think the UFC will be sold, and I expect it to continue to grow, but considering boxing has just started busting records and the UFC is just starting to face the difficulties associated with a recent expansion, most obviously the downtrend in PPV numbers over recent years, your post comes off mad silly.
9/20/13 1:04 PM
Wicked smahtMF

come on dude Joe is a boxing fan. he was just giving Dibella back what he was putting out. what was he supposed to do? Lou with his smug fucking mugg talking about mma like it was a freak show. Joe supposed to just blow boxing the whole segment. foh
9/20/13 1:09 PM
Standup29

man meets fate -
Standup29 -
man meets fate -
Standup29 -
man meets fate -
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun -
man meets fate - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Boxing as a sport is dead, people will pay to watch 2 or 3 fighters. UFC is a brand, people will pay regardless of who fights.
They may pay but the buys for the most part are dog shit Phone Post

in 2012 ten of the top 15 ppvs came from UFC, 4 from boxing 1 from WWE. Of the 4 from boxing they were all from Pac and Floyd
No shit, that's cause they neee to put on one wvery other week or 2 so at the wnd of the year there totol buy rate isn't a joke.

Ufc is quantity not quality Phone Post
That is because Floyd and Manny can't fight every month or every othet month.

Quality for boxing appears to only be 2 guys based on your logic. Phone Post
Jcc and jm are good enough for ppv obviously. Boxing is on premium tv and gets major numbers. Better so far this year than the ufc on free tv. Boxings model has never been about ppv. Always premium tv Phone Post
Could you post these premium numbers that are better than MMA?

And don't full yourself, boxing was a PPV sport not a premium tv sport since Don King made it so. The major stars have been PPV draws and today there are only 2 big boxing draws and the rest do not draw.

MMA has the same issue but take the top 2 out of both and MMA is a better draw.

Prove me wrong and I will happily admit it but I doubt I am wrong. Phone Post
It was broner vs paulie malignaagi. A fight with a new comer and a paper champion no one gave a fuck about. I'm on my phone so u can look it up for yourself.

And you keep saying mma's 2 best is a better draw than boxings 2 best, but how can mmas two beat be better when they haven't cracked in the millions in along time?

Are you saying gsp's 900k for diaz is better than 1.5 million for paq or 2.2 million for floyd? That doesn't make any sense. Phone Post
I said no such thing. And those numbers were great but still do not beat what MMA is doing. UFC on Fox 8 avg 2 million which is twice as much as that averaged and significantly more than it peaked at.

So again if top 2 draws in boxing and MMA are removed from the equation, MMA does better in PPV, Gate and TV viewers.

Floyd and Manny are the top draws period in combat sports but outside of that, MMA does better in the US than boxing. Phone Post
9/20/13 1:12 PM
Standup29

James III -
Standup29 -  Also the biggest problem is that MMA doesn't have its stars fighting in Europe. Not many fans of any sport would be willing to pay to watch an event live at 3am or a replay the next day.

I am sure if Cain vs JDS were to take place in London and was on PPV and do very well at the gate. Wouldn't you agree? Phone Post

Have to disagree here no-one here in the UK outside of MMA fans know who Cain or JDS are? If they fought here in London this year the PPV numbers would be appalling.

MMA in Europe still has a homosexual vibe to it because most believe 'real men' stand up and use fists only. There is something very dishonourable about ground fighting and that is not going to change anytime soon. Not even in the next 5 - 10 years in my opinion. They don't have wrestling in schools over there either.

Meantime Boxing is pulling better numbers then ever and in the last 10 years the sport has grown massively. MMA hasn't even made a dent.
That is a big name title fight and I think it would be promoted enough to do great numbers. The only issue I would see is UFC normally is free or on premium tv not PPV (am I correct in that) but I still see it drawing big.

If not those two, Anderson Silva (if he us champion) vs Bisping. I think it does well. Phone Post
9/20/13 1:34 PM
man meets fate

James III -
Standup29 - 
James III -
Standup29 -  Also the biggest problem is that MMA doesn't have its stars fighting in Europe. Not many fans of any sport would be willing to pay to watch an event live at 3am or a replay the next day.

I am sure if Cain vs JDS were to take place in London and was on PPV and do very well at the gate. Wouldn't you agree? Phone Post

Have to disagree here no-one here in the UK outside of MMA fans know who Cain or JDS are? If they fought here in London this year the PPV numbers would be appalling.

MMA in Europe still has a homosexual vibe to it because most believe 'real men' stand up and use fists only. There is something very dishonourable about ground fighting and that is not going to change anytime soon. Not even in the next 5 - 10 years in my opinion. They don't have wrestling in schools over there either.

Meantime Boxing is pulling better numbers then ever and in the last 10 years the sport has grown massively. MMA hasn't even made a dent.
That is a big name title fight and I think it would be promoted enough to do great numbers. The only issue I would see is UFC normally is free or on premium tv not PPV (am I correct in that) but I still see it drawing big.

If not those two, Anderson Silva (if he us champion) vs Bisping. I think it does well. Phone Post

No offence but I'm actually from the UK and I can tell you Bisping is an absolute nobody here. Outside MMA fans no-one has a clue who he is.

You don't really understand the UK market I'm afraid. It doesn't matter how much it's promoted this year that fight would do embarrassing numbers here. If you have witnessed how many times they have tried to promote NFL here and failed miserably you would better understand where I'm coming from.
Yea man uk loves there boxing. I mean 30k people at hatton weigh ins, reported that 15k went to germany for the haye vs klitschko fight.

That's why if they do go ahead with khan vs mayweather it needs to be in vegas cause all of uk will travel to the gates of hell for their boxers anyway.

Can't dind more dedicated boxing fans than uk.

I kind of wish they were like that with mma cause uk boxing fans are definitely the most entertaining. The haye/ wlad weigh in was probably the funniest weigh in ever. You guys and your well though out and funny chants is hilarious. Phone Post
9/20/13 1:34 PM
Triangle Choked
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honest question here. Why do boxing fans she'll out $80 (I think) to watch one fight, while MMA fans stream if the whole card is not fantastic and it's only $50?

For example this weekend (arguably) the best LHW in the history of the UFC is fighting and there were two threads on the front page bitching that the card is weak and people were either going to stream or go out and watch it.

I think right now there are two different demographics watching the two sports and that's why there is a difference in buys. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 1:36 PM
Triangle Choked
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ugh shell. FU autocorrect.. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 1:42 PM
Silverball
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaptainPlanet - 
Silverball -
georgejonesjr - 
Silverball - When MMA pay improves, the sport will attract the best athletes, who will have trained for MMA specifically from a much younger age...like boxing, and every other professional sport of note. When that happens, MMA will maybe swallow boxing. The questions is, how far off in the future are we talking?

I'd guess about the same time football swallows basketball or hockey or baseball.

Most sports fans watch more than one kind of sport. Its really not a zero sum game, MMA and boxing will co-exist as well as football and baseball, basketball and hockey.

If anything, I think MMA is making a number of sports (wrestling for sure, but also judo and BJJ, and yes, boxing too) more popular among young folks than they were before. The local boxing club has said that they're seeing more guys coming to train (initially to cross train for MMA, then often staying) than they had for awhile, and a lot of these guys have turned into fans of boxing in general - they watch both boxing and MMA.

Sports just aren't a zero sum game. You only have to turn to the sports forums and see how many pro sport leagues there are to see that.

Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey all require different skill sets and physical attributes, which is one of the reasons that one doesn't "swallow" the rest. In addition, the pay for NBA, NFL, and MLB guarantees that the level of athlete entering these sports is as high level as we are currently capable of producing in this country, starting at pee wee and pop warner levels, then high school, college, etc. The process of weeding out the best of the best.

That said, those three sports in particular have had a huge effect on boxing, just look at the state of of amateur boxing today, and compare that to amateur boxing prior to the Magic, Bird, Jordan eras of basketball. That drop off in level of athlete, and competition is the reason why people, like Rogan, question the longevity of boxing, in spite of evens like last Saturday's two million sales pay per view Mayweather fight. I didn't say that MMA would swallow boxing, I said it's a maybe, in the future, but co-exist it might. The real threat to boxing is not MMA, but continues to be the NBA and the NFL.
The only part of boxing in the states being affected by team sports are the heavier divisions. And I think PBF has proven that you don't need to be a big guy to carry the sport. In fact, this was already proven by SRL in the 80's. Phone Post 3.0

Sugar Ray Leonard was a product of the Amateur boxing system / Olympics prior to the Bird, Magic, Jordan eras I mentioned. Also, we're talking a decline over the course of two decades.

PBF is from a boxing family that goes back to the same era that produced SRL, so he is far from the norm, and one of the biggest criticisms of PBF is that his level of competition is not at the level that guys like SRL faced in the 80s, why? The effect of football alone, in terms of the level and size of it's athletes (high school, college, and ultimately the NFL) could have an effect on Boxing down to at least the welterweight division. I don't think that guys the size of today's defensive ends were ever the norm in boxing's heavyweight ranks, so the size issue seems a bit overstated.
9/20/13 1:49 PM
man meets fate

Triangle Choked - Honest question here. Why do boxing fans she'll out $80 (I think) to watch one fight, while MMA fans stream if the whole card is not fantastic and it's only $50?

For example this weekend (arguably) the best LHW in the history of the UFC is fighting and there were two threads on the front page bitching that the card is weak and people were either going to stream or go out and watch it.

I think right now there are two different demographics watching the two sports and that's why there is a difference in buys. Phone Post 3.0
Cause boxing doesn't do a ppv every other week or every 2 weeks and its jist the more traditional thing to do. It will always be like that with boxing and always has been. Its just what everyone is used to.

Boxing awhile back was at a down spiral just like ufc is when Don king and bob arum would go head to head, they almost killed the ppv business (for boxing) because of it.

And its also the simple fact of promoting. They will go state to state to state for months pumping up the fight and the all access and 24/7 is a big help also.

Its just the more natural thing to do.

I don't think anyone has a real answer for it unless everyone in the world answers it. Phone Post
9/20/13 1:49 PM
Stephen Holder

I'm not someone who has ever followed boxing before watching mma. I've never taken interest in judo or bjj or wrestling for that matter either. I've got mad respect for all disciplines. I think they're neato fackin mosquito. If it werent for them COMBINED, I wouldnt get to enjoy all the mma fights I've witnessed to date.

Alone, though all of those disciplines are just barely mildly entertaining.

Boxing culture is an exception in the case of the very rare spectacle when they have a 'star' like Tyson or Mayweather and its a 100 years of reinforcement.

Why my 'casual' perspective matters more than someone who is immersed heavily in the boxing or mma world is simple. When I took interest in strictly being a fan of MMA (I'm a 2004 n00b) I thought maybe I could enjoy boxing matches afterwards but thats not the case. These kids coming up are going to feel the same way I do when they see boxing after seeing mma and wonder 'why cant you kick or wrestle in boxing' and its going to just be established as an inferior and limited discipline on its own. This is going to be true wether you think so or not. The 'schweet science' may be around for another 500 years but mma will suprass boxing within the next 2 decades possible even in the next decade. Suck it.
9/20/13 1:50 PM
Another Foob
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure which is more annoying: OP, or the fact that this thread is 8 pages of comments that don't all begin and end with "VTFD".

VTFD.
9/20/13 1:51 PM
crsjedi1

emm...boxing is still huge in the latino and european markets, and as such the u.f.c "mma" is still were it was in 1996 in those markets as it was in the united states in that yr, understand the growth of the sport of mma in the united states since 2000, and ask yourself the growth potiential in those markets in the next 20 yrs? Now how many latinos are currently still huge boxing fans?? and of course last saturdays snooze fest did those numbers, they marketed that fight to the latino fan base beautifully , not to mention floyd is prolly the best heal in the history of boxing "who doesnt want to see him lose?" Personally i grew up a boxing freak living in vegas i loved boxing , but it is what it is, the days of Barrera vs. morales, taylor vs.chavez ,,delahoya vs. quartey,hagler vs.hearns, and shit what heavyweight divison ? are done man,the writing is on the wall however painfully slow it is,its like a novelty now, how many great fights do you get with the u.f.c every fkn yr?? look at programing if boxing was still the shit why isnt it on fox,fuel,fx, spike etc?? what happend to the contender?? boxing is evolving into the sport of mma,just like wrestling,jiujitsu,muythai etc..boxing is fkn boring compared to the sport of mma, ask yourself this how many boxing gyms are there nationwide? how many mma gyms,jiujitsu? how bout the spark of popularity in wrestling ?? stop a 16 yr old and ask him ,yup everyone knows floyd, but beyond that, do they know who brandon rios is? adrien "im a bonehead"broner? bernard hopkins? do they? resistance is futile.

9/20/13 2:01 PM
Reasonable
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Standup29 - 
man meets fate -
Standup29 -
man meets fate -
man meets fate - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Boxing as a sport is dead, people will pay to watch 2 or 3 fighters. UFC is a brand, people will pay regardless of who fights.

in 2012 ten of the top 15 ppvs came from UFC, 4 from boxing 1 from WWE. Of the 4 from boxing they were all from Pac and Floyd
No shit, that's cause they neee to put on one wvery other week or 2 so at the wnd of the year there totol buy rate isn't a joke.

Jcc and jm are good enough for ppv obviously. Boxing is on premium tv and gets major numbers. Better so far this year than the ufc on free tv. Boxings model has never been about ppv. Always premium tv Phone Post

And don't full yourself, boxing was a PPV sport not a premium tv sport since Don King made it so. The major stars have been PPV draws and today there are only 2 big boxing draws and the rest do not draw.

Not sure if this is what you were asking for...

HBO with about 30 mil Subscribers, Showtime with 22 Mil (I think)

HBO Fights

February 16, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Adrien Broner vs. Gavin Rees) averaged 1.4 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

September 8, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson) averaged 1.3 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

December 15, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Nonito Donaire vs. Jorge Arce) averaged 1.3 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

March 9, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Bernard Hopkins vs. Tavoris Cloud) averaged 1.2 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

March 16, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Tim Bradley vs. Ruslan Provodnikov) averaged 1.2 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

November 17, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Adrien Broner vs. Antonio DeMarco) averaged 1.1 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

November 24, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Robert Guerrero vs. Andre Berto) averaged 1.1 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

March 30, 2013: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Mike Alvarado vs. Brandon Rios II) averaged 1.1 million viewers Live + Same Day.

April 13, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Nonito Donaire) averaged 1.1 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

September 29, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Edwin Rodriguez vs. Jason Escalera) averaged 904,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

October 13, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Nonito Donaire vs. Toshiaki Nishioka) averaged 835,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

January 22, 2013: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Gennady Golovkin vs. Gabriel Rosado) averaged 815, 000 viewers watching Live + Same Day. (Note: The main event Mikey Garcia against Orlando Salido did 760,000).

April 27, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Sergio Martinez vs. Martin Murray) averaged 696, 000 viewers watching Live + Same Day. (Note: Bermane Stiverne vs. Chris Arreola did 747,000).

September 1, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Gennady Golovkin vs. Grzegorz Proksa) averaged 685,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

November 10, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Vanes Martirosyan vs. Erislandy Lara) averaged 667,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

2012 average: 1.1 million viewers with 17 events.

2011 average: 1.1 million viewers with 21 events.

I do not have as many with Showtime but...

Malignaggi vs. Broner, June 2013 1.3 Mil

Cotto vs. Trout, Dec. 2012 1.4 Mil

Canelo Vs. Lopez 1 mil
9/20/13 2:02 PM
WrestlingSucks
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This isn't a hard concept to grasp if you aren't too busy cheerleading for the combat sport you prefer.

MMA is still growing around the world. As such, there are very few legit contenders from Europe, Asia, and South America (excluding Brazil)

Everybody is ethnocentric to some degree. You don't want to watch a sport where your country and people get beat up without mercy by Americans.

Why do you think Americans are just now getting into soccer? Because Americans are actually starting to do well in the sport internationally.

Boxing has it easy with PBF. Undefeated, shit talking GOAT and American. It doesn't take a marketing master to figure out that you can feed guys like Canelo to him and entire countries will watch it. They want to see Floyd lose to THEIR guy. It's basic pro-wrestling psychology.

The UFC is doing the right thing. Over time, as mma becomes a more common thing overseas, you will begin seeing more and more European, South American (Not Brazilian), and Asian champs/contenders. That is when they will really put boxing in a tight spot.

However, Andre Ward is going to be the next big thing in boxing. The guy is destined to be a top earner in combat sports IMO
9/20/13 2:11 PM
Tehunamatata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd just said he was going to get into managing mma fighters - he sees the longer term trends... Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 2:38 PM
man meets fate

crsjedi1 -

emm...boxing is still huge in the latino and european markets, and as such the u.f.c "mma" is still were it was in 1996 in those markets as it was in the united states in that yr, understand the growth of the sport of mma in the united states since 2000, and ask yourself the growth potiential in those markets in the next 20 yrs? Now how many latinos are currently still huge boxing fans?? and of course last saturdays snooze fest did those numbers, they marketed that fight to the latino fan base beautifully , not to mention floyd is prolly the best heal in the history of boxing "who doesnt want to see him lose?" Personally i grew up a boxing freak living in vegas i loved boxing , but it is what it is, the days of Barrera vs. morales, taylor vs.chavez ,,delahoya vs. quartey,hagler vs.hearns, and shit what heavyweight divison ? are done man,the writing is on the wall however painfully slow it is,its like a novelty now, how many great fights do you get with the u.f.c every fkn yr?? look at programing if boxing was still the shit why isnt it on fox,fuel,fx, spike etc?? what happend to the contender?? boxing is evolving into the sport of mma,just like wrestling,jiujitsu,muythai etc..boxing is fkn boring compared to the sport of mma, ask yourself this how many boxing gyms are there nationwide? how many mma gyms,jiujitsu? how bout the spark of popularity in wrestling ?? stop a 16 yr old and ask him ,yup everyone knows floyd, but beyond that, do they know who brandon rios is? adrien "im a bonehead"broner? bernard hopkins? do they? resistance is futile.

Ummm first because hbo and showtime pay out the ass for boxing? I don't know why u listed fuel has a main station when no one gives a shit or even know fuel exist.

And yes people do know who hopkins, rios and broner is, if they didn't then broner wouldn't get big numbers.

Let me ask you this, does anyone know who the fuck john mayorga is? This guy who has been stuck on prelims now is in the main event on live tv?

I really don't know why you said hopkins when he is a legend in the sport. That's like telling mma fans that no one knows who randy couture is.

Boxing will always be their cause there is still world wide people who want to see the science.

How can you sit there and laugh at someone who wants to see a floyd mayweather fight and try to tell them they should enjoy someone like anderson who is just a low amatuer bum version of roy jones jr?

Your basically telling people to like mma over boxing cause even though you get low level boxing in mma, you got a couple of guys who can throw decent leg kicks and you get a added bonus in bjj.

So people should be forced to like mma fighters horrible hands over boxing cause they get the ground game?

That's kind of stupid if you ask me. Phone Post
9/20/13 2:43 PM
man meets fate

Reasonable -
Standup29 - 
man meets fate -
Standup29 -
man meets fate -
man meets fate - 

Not sure if this is what you were asking for...

HBO with about 30 mil Subscribers, Showtime with 22 Mil (I think)

HBO Fights

February 16, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Adrien Broner vs. Gavin Rees) averaged 1.4 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

September 8, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson) averaged 1.3 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

December 15, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Nonito Donaire vs. Jorge Arce) averaged 1.3 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

March 9, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Bernard Hopkins vs. Tavoris Cloud) averaged 1.2 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

March 16, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Tim Bradley vs. Ruslan Provodnikov) averaged 1.2 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

November 17, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Adrien Broner vs. Antonio DeMarco) averaged 1.1 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

November 24, 2012: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Robert Guerrero vs. Andre Berto) averaged 1.1 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

March 30, 2013: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Mike Alvarado vs. Brandon Rios II) averaged 1.1 million viewers Live + Same Day.

April 13, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Nonito Donaire) averaged 1.1 million viewers watching Live + Same Day.

September 29, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Edwin Rodriguez vs. Jason Escalera) averaged 904,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

October 13, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Nonito Donaire vs. Toshiaki Nishioka) averaged 835,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

January 22, 2013: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Gennady Golovkin vs. Gabriel Rosado) averaged 815, 000 viewers watching Live + Same Day. (Note: The main event Mikey Garcia against Orlando Salido did 760,000).

April 27, 2013: “HBO World Championship Boxing” (Sergio Martinez vs. Martin Murray) averaged 696, 000 viewers watching Live + Same Day. (Note: Bermane Stiverne vs. Chris Arreola did 747,000).

September 1, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Gennady Golovkin vs. Grzegorz Proksa) averaged 685,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

November 10, 2012: “HBO Boxing After Dark” (Vanes Martirosyan vs. Erislandy Lara) averaged 667,000 viewers watching Live + Same Day.

2012 average: 1.1 million viewers with 17 events.

2011 average: 1.1 million viewers with 21 events.

I do not have as many with Showtime but...

Malignaggi vs. Broner, June 2013 1.3 Mil

Cotto vs. Trout, Dec. 2012 1.4 Mil

Canelo Vs. Lopez 1 mil
Damn how many different sites you have to go to to get that? I been looking for past 30 mins and only found 3 lol. Then again I think cause I was looking for nost of showtime fron this year.

Great find sir Phone Post
9/20/13 2:47 PM
PrettyBoy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing has done pretty well this year. Floyd did over a million in May and well over 2 million in Sep. Manny and JMM did 1.15 million for their last fight in late Dec and Pacman and vs Rios in Nov should be fire. JMM vs Bradley should do well also. They should be close to 5 million buys with those 4 fights alone.

Not to mention all the other great fights coming up on HBO and Showtime like Kahn vs Alexander. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.