UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan still believe UFC is "Swallowing" Boxing ?

9/20/13 7:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gregbrady
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  As an MMA fighter I can say boxing & mma are hardly comparable. Boxing >MMA. Just because we love MMA doesn't mean we shouldn't be realistic. When you have guys making 20-85 million a fight compared to main eventers like Liz Carmouche making 12k its obvious. Some undercard guys in boxing making 100k-1 million Phone Post

agreed

until UFC starts paying the fighters better it will always look bushleague to the public and it is.
9/20/13 7:38 PM
Joeymarvelous
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous -  I think most people are ignoring the fact that boxing has had a head start of HUNDREDS of years to build up a fan base. Phone Post

10 years in the facebook/twitter/iphone era > 100 years in radio and black and white TV and newspaper.
True, but only among the demographics most comfortable with modern technology. Old fucks tend to reject new things, including both MMA and digital media. Phone Post
9/20/13 8:10 PM
imbuggin
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg - " EatonBeaver, and Jons Forsberg would spend so much time and effort talking shit about MMA on an MMA forum "

we have been MMA fans prolly since you wre sucking your mom's nipples you dipshit. We're speaking reality, MMA isn't " swallowing boxing" by any stretch of imagination. Wake up moron.

you have no idea how old i am or how long i've been a fan. i also didn't insult you once in that message. if you get a kick out of being a troll, that's fine. it just doesn't make much sense to me. not sure why that gets you riled up.
9/20/13 9:30 PM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg -
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  As an MMA fighter I can say boxing & mma are hardly comparable. Boxing >MMA. Just because we love MMA doesn't mean we shouldn't be realistic. When you have guys making 20-85 million a fight compared to main eventers like Liz Carmouche making 12k its obvious. Some undercard guys in boxing making 100k-1 million Phone Post

/end of debate
Yes. Thats end the debate by looking at the lowest possoble main event example (women no less) in mma and comparing it to the highest possible examples from boxing.

Let alone this thread isnt even about how much the athletes make, rather the overall popularity and whether one is declining or improving. Phone Post
9/20/13 9:33 PM
HenryO

Damn UFC buy rates have went to shit.

About time they stop with 16 PPV a year bullshit
9/20/13 9:51 PM
jacktripper

"And I think thats why Pride nostalgia still runs wild on the UG by old school fans - because it was Quality over Quantity. "

Pride put on fixed fights Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 10:21 PM
Jons Forsberg

imbuggin - 
Jons Forsberg - " EatonBeaver, and Jons Forsberg would spend so much time and effort talking shit about MMA on an MMA forum "

we have been MMA fans prolly since you wre sucking your mom's nipples you dipshit. We're speaking reality, MMA isn't " swallowing boxing" by any stretch of imagination. Wake up moron.

you have no idea how old i am or how long i've been a fan. i also didn't insult you once in that message. if you get a kick out of being a troll, that's fine. it just doesn't make much sense to me. not sure why that gets you riled up.

you must be stupid then, if you think what we're doing is " talking shit about MMA".
9/20/13 10:27 PM
Jons Forsberg

Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous -  I think most people are ignoring the fact that boxing has had a head start of HUNDREDS of years to build up a fan base. Phone Post

10 years in the facebook/twitter/iphone era > 100 years in radio and black and white TV and newspaper.
True, but only among the demographics most comfortable with modern technology. Old fucks tend to reject new things, including both MMA and digital media. Phone Post

people said boxing fans were old and dying off 10 years ago, it just sold the all time PPV record last week. It's an old easy to debunk fallacy.
9/20/13 10:49 PM
EatonBeever
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/13 10:50 PM

PPVs that Went over 500k
2008 - 7 PPVs
2009 - 7 PPVs
2010 - 11 PPVs <------ UFC peaked w/ Brock Lesnar
2011 - 3 PPVs
2012 - 5 PPVs
2013 - 3 PPVs

Can you UFC fan boys read this ??  You see when you go from 11 ppvs to 3 (granted still three months left for UFC) that break over 500,000 ppv buyrates - that means the numbers are DOWN...

Let me repeat that - when you go from 11 to 3 , that means the numbers went down.  Can you guys count ?  No one is 'talking shit about mma on a MMA forum' - we are discussing a rebuttal and facts to Joe Rogan's idiot statement about UFC swallowing Boxing, which as a fan of both sports, highly embarassing to be supporting MMA when the main commentator is saying stupid shit like that.

9/20/13 10:55 PM
DAVID H
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing is still going strong. IMO, MMA has peaked in popularity and it starting to go down...
9/20/13 10:59 PM
Joeymarvelous
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -

people said boxing fans were old and dying off 10 years ago, it just sold the all time PPV record last week. It's an old easy to debunk fallacy.
Regardless of what was said ten years ago, older people are still less likely to stream things and less likely to understand MMA. Younger fans generally can appreciate BOTH sports, and by having a good number of fans both young and old, boxing is able to capitalize the opportunity and outpace MMA, which is generally limited to the younger audience at present. Phone Post
9/20/13 11:16 PM
Bawls
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish these guys would build rivalries... Lesnar-Mir, Davis-Hardy, etc...

Those guys sold those fights.. Now its..

Rogan.. "so who do you want to fight next?"
Fighter.. "ummm.. Whomever Joe Silva picks.." Phone Post
9/20/13 11:23 PM
SudburyBJJ

RKing85 - I laugh at the people who say boxing is dead.

What the UFC wouldn't do to have one PPV even top 1 million again.

you're retarded.

boxing does 1 huge ppv. there is 1 guy who pulls in viewers.

if i'm in the business, i'd rather do 10 events per year that do 400,000 buys than 1 event that pulls in 1 million.

it's simple math you bunch of retards.

MMA is the next level for fight sports. boxing may never "die" completely...but give your head a shake if you think it's anywhere near the popularity of MMA in 2013.
9/20/13 11:58 PM
man meets fate

CapnKindBud -
man meets fate -
CapnKindBud -
Jons Forsberg -
Twelvers hav superior genetics - 
stonepony - 
Jons Forsberg - " there is only Floyd to use as an example. Everybody else makes nothing"

Canelo, Marquez, Pacquiao, Klitschos, Floyd, all bigger draws and making more than their Mexican/Asian/European/American counterparts in the UFC.

Sorry, I should have said almost everybody.

Also what about David Haye and Amir Khan? So how many is that now that make 'nothing' except Floyd?

You don't have a clue and lol if you think anyone can take you seriously on this topic after that latest little embarrassment!

Right. UK boxing has Haye and Tyson Fury versus middle of the pack fighter like Bisping in UK MMA.

The UFC's attempts to get into overseas marketat laughable. Making US born Velasquez wear the Mexico mouth piece lol. Still can't hold a candle to Canelo and Marquez.

Boxing has the biggest stars in every country on the planet except Brazil and Canada. The UFC only wishes it was the global sport it dreams to be.
Once again, this is ridiculous.
Boxing is bigger only because its been here for so much longer. None of us were here for boxings first 20 years but we were for the sport of mma.
You guys are arguing over ppv buys and the global popularity. The real truth is that we have watched this sport grow so fast that some are saying things like mma wishes that it was as big as the sport of boxing and it does.
But Rogan was right also.
It's only a matter of time. You know it's true and what's more, if you watched that joke of a "fight" last week, you know that mma is a better sport. Phone Post 3.0
And how did you come up with this logic? Cause numbers say otherwise.

And that joke of a fight, was a work of art that you can't see anywhere else. Your saying people prefer two guys throwing shitty haymakers with 1 round cardio just swinging for the fences?

You know what tennis looks like a boting ass soort, but they get millions if views, but that d oesnt matter cause yoy think it sucks or its a joke therefore its not an exciting sport.

Your not the only human on this world. If mma was sooo better they would not get 170k buys for there last card. Phone Post
I guarantee that I've been a boxing fan for as long if not far longer than you and I am VERY familiar with the sport. That was not a work of art whatsoever and hell yes I would rather see TWO guys swinging for the fences. At least it shows heart and a lack of fear of getting hit.
Art is not engaging and tapping the fighter with weak punches and then quickly leaping far out of the way. And then just running at the end when he's ahead on points . That's just being a faster fighter.
Art in boxing is when Mike Tyson stands in the pocket and makes you miss by feinting and head movement while NAILING the fighter with EFFECTIVE punches and finishing the fight .
Floyd takes the combat out of the combat sport . That's just my opinion. The sport is still growing fast. Phone Post 3.0
Lol, you been a bocing fan longer and you bring up tyson? Tyson was always known for his violent fights yes, buthe is not in anyone's top 50p4p for a reason. He fought as many cans as he could. His best wins are a way past his prime latry holmes and his real only legut win is Michael spinks, who us a cruiserweight and never shoukd have been at hw.

Floyd diea his best right now to cause damage with pancake likr hands that have been broken mote times than people could count. Back in the day he used to give out beatings from hell ( corrales and gatti) now with his useless hands he does what he needs to do and that is still make every high level guy he faces look like they never even laced up a pair of gloves, I mean come on, he uses bigger gloves so he can protect his hands.

People will always watch mayweather cause he can do what no fighter on this okabet can do and makes anyone look like dog shit.

If you don't like it that's fine, but don't sit there and say people prefer weak haymakers swinging for the fences with omly 1 round of cardio. If that was the case then leonard garcia would be a huge star right now. Nobody who watches boxing in there right mind would pay to see someone like Leonard garcia to fight. You know why? Cause they can go out to a bar or elementary school and see that same level of skill he possesses and gets to see it in person and doesn't have to pay for it. You can't go out and fine someone to do what floyd can do.

And before you say anything I am noy shitting on all mma striking. They have very damn good ones, hell pettis is one of the reasons I stay interested, its really the ground game that keeps my intrest.

Boxing will never die because that and kickboxing is what you watch when you want a real good striking match. You don't have to be forced to like the horrible striking of Forrest griffin or have to be forced to like mmas low level amateur version of roy jones jr. Phone Post
9/21/13 12:02 AM
Jons Forsberg

Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -
Joeymarvelous - 
Jons Forsberg -

Regardless of what was said ten years ago, older people are still less likely to stream things and less likely to understand MMA. Younger fans generally can appreciate BOTH sports, and by having a good number of fans both young and old, boxing is able to capitalize the opportunity and outpace MMA, which is generally limited to the younger audience at present. Phone Post

old people are less likely to stream things but they're more likely to gather families to watch boxing PPV. Minorities gather to watch their national heroes, sometimes 20 or more people watching the same PPV. I personally saw Pacquaio vs Hatton around 20 Pinoys. MMA does not create national heroes, Cain with Mexico mouthpiece sold 380k PPV against Bigfoot.
9/21/13 12:12 AM
man meets fate

SudburyBJJ -
RKing85 - I laugh at the people who say boxing is dead.

What the UFC wouldn't do to have one PPV even top 1 million again.

you're retarded.

boxing does 1 huge ppv. there is 1 guy who pulls in viewers.

if i'm in the business, i'd rather do 10 events per year that do 400,000 buys than 1 event that pulls in 1 million.

it's simple math you bunch of retards.

MMA is the next level for fight sports. boxing may never "die" completely...but give your head a shake if you think it's anywhere near the popularity of MMA in 2013.
So paquaio doesn't exist anymore? Ufc so far this year is at 3.56 mil buys. Boxing has only had 2 this year and is already in the 3 millions. We still have a guarenteed 1.3 mil or more buys in paquaios upcoming fight and we got two others that are up in the air but both of them is a guy who already pulled big ppv numbers and the other pulls in the millions on hbo and showtime numerous fights already and is getting his chance at ppv.

And to tell you the truth, ufc should beat them in total if bradley gets less than a million. This card this weekend I can guarentee you won't be a worth a damn in ppv buys.

But the card in houston should do atleast in the 500k range and both the gsp card and the silva weidman card shoukd do in the millions, sad thing is, you don't know what to expect with ufc anymore. Look at condit vs gsp, that was gsp's rwturn fight against his toughest challenge in years, yet it only does 700l? And that is there cash cow.

Cash cows who have pulled in the millions are always suppose to get those numbers, not shift from pretty good" to "meh" Phone Post
9/21/13 1:02 AM
liquidmuse3

Did the guy just say Mike Tyson is in no one's top 50 ever? Do me a favour, go online, google "best boxers" of all time, look at the top 10 lists, & tell me Tyson isn't in everyone's top 5-10.
9/21/13 1:41 AM
pharochuck
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
liquidmuse3 - Did the guy just say Mike Tyson is in no one's top 50 ever? Do me a favour, go online, google "best boxers" of all time, look at the top 10 lists, & tell me Tyson isn't in everyone's top 5-10.
He said p4p and Tyson isn't in a lot of writers top 10 for heavies, he simply never beat anyone good. Dodged bowe, mercer, foreman. Lot of good heavies in the 90's and Tyson's management avoided them like the plague. Only stepped in against Holyfield because they thought he was shot Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 1:54 AM
pursuitofhappiness

If the UFC did 4 shows a year and just stacked them all every time with GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Chael Sonnen, Cain, Jose Aldo they'd smash PPV records. They're actually building a sport though. Enjoy your next boxing match in 4 months. oh and know in the back of your mind that any average college wrestler MMA fighter or BJJ purple belt could whoop your fav boxers ass in a real fight.
9/21/13 1:59 AM
pursuitofhappiness

And on a side note: How many PPV's does the UFC sell compared to boxing per year? Not even including all the free fights.
9/21/13 2:33 AM
man meets fate

liquidmuse3 - Did the guy just say Mike Tyson is in no one's top 50 ever? Do me a favour, go online, google "best boxers" of all time, look at the top 10 lists, & tell me Tyson isn't in everyone's top 5-10.
Lol no real boxing fans have tyson in there top 10. He was a paper champion that beat no one outside of a fossil larey Holmes and cruiserweight Michael spinks.

Tyson got the rep he did for his violent fights, not for what he accomplished, cause he hasn't accomplished anything Phone Post
9/21/13 2:39 AM
BJJkilla
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxing will just find it's next undefeated star once mayweather retires. you got guys like andre ward who will be the face of boxing soon. even someone like adrien broner can possibly sell a fight like floyd once he starts fighting better competition.
9/21/13 2:49 AM
man meets fate

pursuitofhappiness - And on a side note: How many PPV's does the UFC sell compared to boxing per year? Not even including all the free fights.
Difference is boxing never losses money on there ppvs cause they know who draws and doesn't. 165k and 170k for the last ufc is not a success.

The gsp vs diaz card, they put a lot of work into that and put the right fights and it showed, I wish they got that extra 100k to make it 1 million buys but just came up short.

That's the thing with ufc though, you never know what to expect. Boxing, we know the moment a floyd or paquaio fight is made its guarenteed 1mil+ buys

If they stepped up the gear with promoting the last two ppvs of the year, there is no doubt one of those should be atleast 1mil+ buys.

Bur you never know with gsp or anderson. At Times they pulll in big numbers, then a lot of other times they don't.

Fact is 12-14 ppvs a year is not smart. You are going to get a lot more shit buys than good ones most of the time, and that's how its been so far this year.

If one of those two last cards for this year don't break the millions there is something seriously wrong Phone Post
9/21/13 3:47 AM
AndersonSilvasMoney
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatonBeever - 

PPVs that Went over 500k
2008 - 7 PPVs
2009 - 7 PPVs
2010 - 11 PPVs <------ UFC peaked w/ Brock Lesnar
2011 - 3 PPVs
2012 - 5 PPVs
2013 - 3 PPVs

Can you UFC fan boys read this ??  You see when you go from 11 ppvs to 3 (granted still three months left for UFC) that break over 500,000 ppv buyrates - that means the numbers are DOWN...

Let me repeat that - when you go from 11 to 3 , that means the numbers went down.  Can you guys count ?  No one is 'talking shit about mma on a MMA forum' - we are discussing a rebuttal and facts to Joe Rogan's idiot statement about UFC swallowing Boxing, which as a fan of both sports, highly embarassing to be supporting MMA when the main commentator is saying stupid shit like that.

Why are you arbitrarily only looking at everything above 500K? Here are the average UFC PPV buys per year since 2006:

2006: 527
2007: 447.63
2008: 528.75
2009: 616.92
2010: 522.69
2011: 398.46
2012 448.84
2013: 480

(in thousands)
(Source: http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/)

If you take out the outlier of UFC 100 in 2009 (1.6 million) then 2009 is about 535K on average. Since 2011 (UFC's low point in terms of buys) the trend has been steadily upwards, but hasn't crested its peak (2009). This data includes Jung-Aldo but not Bendo-Pettis since I don't think those numbers are out yet.
9/21/13 3:52 AM
AndersonSilvasMoney
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd add that it's conceivable for UFC to make it above 500K average buyrate this year with good turnouts from Bendo-Pettis, Velasquez-Dos Santos, GSP-Hendricks, and Weidman-Silva II.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.