UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My gameplan suggestions 4 Jones & a bit for Gusta!

9/19/13 11:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/19/13 11:46 PM

Since all my other Jones fights gameplans have been mostly for his opponent, my gameplan for Jones is similar to what I thought Benson Henderson would use vs Nate Diaz, and that is to Kick & Move/Stick & Move distance game for the 1st half of each round, then get the takedown and work GnP and fish for various armlocks to tire Gusta's arms out from Sidemount and/or top mounted crucifix.

The Goal for Jones IMO is to finish it on the Ground via GnP or Arm or Neck/head Submission in the 2nd Round. If it doesn't come until the 3rd fine, if it comes in the 1st great....but round 2 is the goal to have IMO.

On the feet Jones should be a Right lead dominate switch fighter (somewhere between 80/20 and 60/40 depending on what is scoring and how close counters are coming) where frustrating Gusta with keep away linear kicks to the knee, inside calf kick sweeps, and occasional overhand or corkscrew right hands.

Four Main points of attack
1. Keep Gusta at bay with linear knee kicks, mostly right lead sidekicks (sliding, hop, savate etc) and some oblique kicks. When Gusta tries to close with a punch or punching combination, lean back and intercept with the knee kick. This is JKD Way of the Intercepting Foot/Stop Kicks at it's finest.

2. Intercept/Interrupt Gusta when he tries to come in hard with combos, especially ones that start with a big step jab (as in a 1,1,2 Combo) he needs to time the jab with an Inside Calf Kick with his left leg from either lead, sweeping open Gusta's base. If a can land a punch in the follow up, or flows into a takedown off the base getting kicked open great. Main key is to frustrate him outside with knee kicks, and when he tries to aggressively close sweep that base open with inside calf sweep or to his butt/stumble with hard outside calf kick.

3. Other Striking Combos from both right and left leads

Right Lead
After successful rt lead knee kicks (rt leg sidekick, left oblique perhaps), landing a 2,3 and/or perhaps a stepping on foot to 1,1,2 combo, he can switch to left lead.

From left lead his goal should be to score with the right hand with various setups. These left lead setups include

1. 1,1,11 Jab to chest, jab to head, Overhand Right.
2. Rt Outside Heavy Calf Kick Sweep to switch Stance Corksrew overhand right (flows into Rt underhook to any takedown, single leg or kneepick nicely too)
3. left Inside calf kick sweep (upwards Jab can be thrown first if need be to get Gusta to lean back, close distance more if needed) to a 1, 2 jab straight combo.

4. Ground Work.....The Goal is to be on top of Gusta in every round with 2:20 left or more to work. 1st round if he can get there he needs to land heavy GnP, elbows to face, bust up Gusta's confidence and face. He should fish for various kinds of arm submissions or arm positions (+weak head and armtriangle attempts or windshield wiper neck cranks/chokes if they are there) simply to tire Gusta's punching arms out and get them filled up with blood and lactic acid. He should grind the face, crank the neck as much as possible too. If Gusta manages to turtle, Jones can Ride him from there as well from side/back corner/referee position and beat him down doing his best Igor Vovchanchin impression, after landing GnP he can circle to front headlock and look for his Power Assist Guillotine he beat Machida and Bader with. He should be using the Cow Catcher/Pancake/Cobra Neck Crank not used successfully in the Octagon since Tito beat Kondo....something Jones might like as a cherry on top to beat Tito's record. As well in the future he could learn to kill people from front headlock with the Gable Choke to Log Roll Arm Through Catcher Guillotine follow up as well. Anyone using the Stick & Move, Takedown to top control half way or more gameplans can also go hard for a leglock in the last thirty seconds of the round if they feel comfortable to do so, as even if the opponent counters and ends on top time is just about out and they only get a few strikes off.

If Gusta is breaking at end of round 1, then Jones can go hard for takedown earlier in round 2 to push. If not, then go to the half way point Stick N Move, to takedown top control round winning game plan again (Benson). Round 2 is where he should go for a series of Heavy Rapid Fire Elbows and go hard for a crooked arm submission/Ude Garami (top wrist lock/paintbrush/Americana) Downward Double Wrist Lock Arm Crank, or even a straight figure 4 armbar. Spend the energy round 2, go for the finish. If the finish doesn't come, go back to the half way point stick N Move to takedown game rinse and repeat. If the takedown comes naturally early in rounds without a lot of energy spent great, but always start going hard for takedown mid-round after frustrating opponent at a distance. Goal is to always be on top of the opponent for 2:20 left or more riding them outside of the guard, either sidemount, top turtle, or ideally top mounted crucifix by the end of the round.

I do feel Jones can win by TKO GnP or Submission in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Now, a bit on what Gusta should do. It's all movement and hands, trying to land a decent one so he can get quick punch blitzes in. His uppercut is the big one often, or straight right. His gameplan is pretty simple and 1 dimensional though he does have good footwork and angles. This Biggest things are whether or not he knows how to deal with Knee kicks and Calf kicks like I have been putting out there. You have to point the knee against linear knee kicks and go into a 2, 3, 2 combo. Against either inside or outside shin kicks, you either do the lift over and counter with punches or a clinch, or you do the appropriate super low inside or outside check to either a 2, 3, 2 Combo going in, or alternatively if you know how to use fluid/wave energy dynamics a 3 (or 7), 2 counter (Hook or Long Hook, Straight/Cross). This is really key to being able to successfully use his boxing, counter punching, blitz punching angles game. If he can't close, or his base is getting kicked open or swept off his feet than he can't effectively do that.

Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think. Jon, if you read this, how about sending me a tweet or FB msg back, a simply smiley face or wink perhaps? Gusta, even this late practicing simple knee lift or leg lift, super low checks to 2,3,2 can help. Sorry Jon if this is a lot of what you likely have planned, but it gives Gusta so much to think about it is overwhelming anyway (though thread & my vids sent direct has I believe sorta helped at least one fighter last minute be aware of the Stick N Move, to then wrestling top control gameplan). I bet some of the combos and possibly base opening calf stuff is different, and CowCatcher/GableChoke,Log Roll to Arm Through Catcher Guillotine is all stuff that would suit you well.
9/19/13 11:41 PM
DanTheWolfman

Shouldn't forget Moraes broke Brandon's fibula with calf kicks at WSOF by 2nd round and had him hopping on one foot crane stance
9/19/13 11:51 PM
MEOWticket
363 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
9/20/13 12:16 AM
DanTheWolfman

Top Crucifix and top wrist lock
9/20/13 12:19 AM
DanTheWolfman

Cruci subs
9/20/13 2:02 AM
ThEUniT

In WOLFPACK STYLE Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 4:58 PM
DanTheWolfman

Can Gusta close on Jones?
9/20/13 5:04 PM
The Loge
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanTheWolfman - Can Gusta close on Jones?
Have you made a video detailing how he could/should do so? If so, then you're damn right he can! Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 6:36 PM
DanTheWolfman

lol, Well, Gus is a better Boxer at Boxing range, in that pocket....question is can he close to that range or not. Jon may be able to keep him outside of that, and yet still be able to land overhand right for instance from a distance. If Gus can cut the cage off on Jones then he can land a blitz.
9/20/13 6:54 PM
DanTheWolfman

How to counter knee kicks, can even help Gusta land a blitz
9/20/13 6:55 PM
DanTheWolfman

More knee kick defense
9/20/13 9:03 PM
DanTheWolfman

Agree, disagree on particular points?
9/20/13 10:20 PM
DanTheWolfman

From Left Lead,
Jones can also use the fake left hook to hop backside kick to liver, or against a charging in right hand from Gusta the hop backside kick to liver counter.....

And he should use the fake overhand to delayed rt high dip kick as well. Gusta open to overhand rights means his brain doesn't pick up that angle/line well so this kick that Jones Teammate Cub Swanson uses (look at our interview for more on that) would work well for Jones
9/21/13 3:46 AM
DanTheWolfman

Edited: 09/21/13 4:08 AM
Who recommended the trend of using Calf/ankle Kicks way back (3/11 and again 4/12) and knee kicks (3/11)?

Jones will likely use.....Will Gusta know how to defend? Will Gusta use them back to knees as a deterrent of danger escalation? Will he use his own calf kicks to sweep base to lead to his punch blitzes?

Vid stuff both Gusta and JJ could use to set up punches

The huge exponential growth of the use of these kicks in MMA since then can not be refuted. Why should I feel any shame in perpetuating the use of techniques now used frequently in MMA?

Akop Flipped a guy with his 6th Calf Kick Bellator last week. In WSOF Maraes broked Brandon's Fibula by the 2nd round made him hop around on one foot wounded crane stance. Any1 that fights a Gracie now uses Calf Kicks a lot!
9/21/13 4:34 AM
DanTheWolfman

"Same things against Gustaffson too by the way......Silva landed 4 low kicks in the 3rd round right in a row....had that been a part of the game plan, often and from the start that is how you fight these types of guys. And just like Cruz, Gusta back pivots after his combos and triple jabs which is when you throw the right outside low kick." Will Jones use the heavy low kick when Gusta Backpivots after combinations?
9/21/13 7:39 AM
The Loge
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - Dan has no shame lol Phone Post 3.0
...or friends as I imagine that they have all long since grown tired of his constant, borderline schizophrenic haranguing. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 4:57 AM
DanTheWolfman

Edited: 09/22/13 4:59 AM
I don't think there was one single fight tonights UFC prelims and all without either sidekicks to the knee (lots of oblique kicks), calf/ankle kicks, or sidekicks of some sort to the body and face as well tonight (except maybe Mitrione/Schaub?).

MMA has changed son. This UFC 165 was the night of Sidekicks for sure.

Jon basically fought much like I suggested throughout the fight just unable to get takedowns. I do believe this was the first time Jones has used some Super Low Kicks/Calf Kicks. Tons of Nasty Oblique and sidekicks to knee/thigh, One Rt Oblique kick caught Gusta on the side a bit nasty since his lead foot was Toed In boxing The 1,1,11 was open at times as was the RT Fake Overhand to delayed RT Dip Head Kick I felt, but what a great fight by both guys!

Barao with the nice high Hop backside kick that got a bit ducked into to the face as well!
9/22/13 9:25 AM
Naderhood
802 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan, I think you need to grasp the truth. NOBODY is watching your vids and passing along your "secret rare techniques" to any UFC fighters. You didn't start the calf kick "trend". That technique has been around forever. I saw Mark Dellagrotte teach it at a seminar in 08'. I've been using it for years as a means of getting my opponents weight on his back leg so I can catch him with punches. NOBODY is watching your vids. You're NOT a coach ANYWHERE. If you were legit you would have a gym or at least be coaching somewhere but the reality is you keep getting kicked out of gyms. End your bullshit. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 9:29 AM
Blazing Knees

Naderhood - Dan, I think you need to grasp the truth. NOBODY is watching your vids and passing along your "secret rare techniques" to any UFC fighters. You didn't start the calf kick "trend". That technique has been around forever. I saw Mark Dellagrotte teach it at a seminar in 08'. I've been using it for years as a means of getting my opponents weight on his back leg so I can catch him with punches. NOBODY is watching your vids. You're NOT a coach ANYWHERE. If you were legit you would have a gym or at least be coaching somewhere but the reality is you keep getting kicked out of gyms. End your bullshit. Phone Post 3.0

Ouch
9/22/13 9:53 AM
Trick or Truth
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are a strange character Dan lol.
9/22/13 11:33 AM
Choked72

Nice post Dan, interesting stuff
9/22/13 1:14 PM
Powerful DJH
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naderhood - Dan, I think you need to grasp the truth. NOBODY is watching your vids and passing along your "secret rare techniques" to any UFC fighters. You didn't start the calf kick "trend". That technique has been around forever. I saw Mark Dellagrotte teach it at a seminar in 08'. I've been using it for years as a means of getting my opponents weight on his back leg so I can catch him with punches. NOBODY is watching your vids. You're NOT a coach ANYWHERE. If you were legit you would have a gym or at least be coaching somewhere but the reality is you keep getting kicked out of gyms. End your bullshit. Phone Post 3.0
Nader gives no fucks. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.