UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gustafsson: I’m going to shock the world Saturday

9/20/13 12:23 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The odds for Saturday's world title fight between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson range from 9-1 to 20-1 for 'Bones.'

However, you don't know what is going to happen in mixed martial arts, which is why you have the fight. And Gustafsson isn't taking any of the doubters personally.

“Not at all. I don’t takes anything personally," said 'The Mauler. "I don’t read too much. I don’t think too much. I’m going to go in there and shock the world on Saturday."

“I’m more than prepared. I can’t wait to get in there. I’m just living the dream right now. I’ve got a one in a lifetime shot and I’m going to do the best of it.”

Jones thinks Gustafsson's best is not good enough.

“I think I have a lot more tools in this fight to win the fight,” said Jones.

“I’m going to do all kinds of unpredictable spinning elbows, flying knees, shots, fake shots, all types of stuff. He really needs to be on his game.”

“I’m fighting a guy who throws punches. Alexander’s boxing defence, I’ve said it a lot of times now, is not that good … He’s a good puncher, he has pretty good footwork. Not a great boxer."

Jones famously has Phillippians 4:13 tatooed on his chest - “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”

By contrast, Gustafsson adds a shark tooth every time he wins.

What do you think UG? Does "The Mauler" add another shark tooth, or will Jones win again through him who gives Bones strength?

Read entire article...

9/20/13 12:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TopGrinder
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mauler hasn't shocked anyone in his career yet and he is going to do against bones now? Me thinks no..... Sorry guffy u r a good Nordic dude and jones is a faker swagger jacker but he gonna rape u like the rest... Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 1:15 AM
The Butt Faced Assassin
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-1354879

9/20/13 3:27 AM
voorhees

Gustafson is lucky he didnt have to fight Mousasi.

THATS who can beat Jones.
9/20/13 3:51 AM
Strykr619

As soon as Jones taken down it's game over just shut the f*** up already Phone Post
9/20/13 5:00 AM
EbolaMonkey

I like Gustafsson but he will not be able to defeat Jones because he will not be able to keep him at range and use his reach. Gustafsson's has overpowered fighters when he's needed to in the past. He won't be able to do this with Jones.
9/20/13 5:06 AM
MrAntichrist
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to believe... Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 6:22 AM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TopGrinder - Mauler hasn't shocked anyone in his career yet and he is going to do against bones now? Me thinks no..... Sorry guffy u r a good Nordic dude and jones is a faker swagger jacker but he gonna rape u like the rest... Phone Post 3.0

I don't understand how you can say that, he's been the underdog multiple times, everybody was saying how Shogun would trounce him.

Alex came up from the tiny MMA scene in Sweden. He didn't have access to Greg Jackson or Deathclutch to mold him and build him, he's self made from the ground up, and he deserves a LOT more credit for this than people are giving him.
9/20/13 6:32 AM
The Mammoth
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'The world'

LULZ

9/20/13 6:36 AM
BubblesNS
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrAntichrist - I want to believe... Phone Post 3.0
But i just cant :( Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 6:38 AM
BubblesNS
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strykr619 - As soon as Jones taken down it's game over just shut the f*** up already Phone Post
But but its a discussion thread not a shut the fuck thread. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 9:11 AM
RollHighAllDay
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are Gustaffson and Phil Davis going steady now?
9/20/13 9:25 AM
DaleSonnen

Gus hasn't really fought anyone huge yet. He beat a declining Shogun and lost to Phil davis (his toughest fight to date so far). The rest of the guys on his resume were either past their primes (Hamil, Silva, The Janitor) or never saw a whole lot of glory (James Te Huna, Cryille, and everyone else on the list). Bones should take care of this one pretty quickly, like end of 1st round, beginning of 2nd round quickly, and hopefully in a Knockout or TKO, most likely a Sub tho, Gus hasn't been knocked out yet. Gus is a good fighter, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Jones. I think Glover will be a better test for Jones, But I still see Jones holding the strap. Hopefully after he beats these next two guys he will make the long awaited hop up to Heavyweight. Id like to see Cain and Jones go at it, I think that would much more entertaining.
9/20/13 10:15 AM
IAmBatman
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good test for Jones as he's fighting somebody the same size as him which should make it interesting enough. Jones will win though, either by decision or sub in the later rounds. Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 12:22 PM
The Sultan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe Jones is going to get the better of the striking exchanges then get a TD.......he wins by tko after controlling gus on the ground for a little bit. Most likely by vicious elbows. Phone Post
9/20/13 12:39 PM
NHBDaddy
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Gus's reach will be a problem for Jones, who will then just take him down and get a GNP stoppage
9/20/13 12:55 PM
CH

"The odds for Saturday's world title fight between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson range from 9-1 to 20-1 for 'Bones.'"

Wow is it really that one sided?

anyone knows what the most one sided fight ever happened from a bookie perspective?
9/20/13 1:09 PM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could be a test for Jones if Gus has improved his TDD. Gus' striking combined with his size advantage and length could pose problems. Gus is very confident, and fearless.
However Jones is just a bit more athletic imo, and has a few more tools in his bag. That said, I think the x factor will be Gus' power. All it takes is one shot.
I'm torn between who to root for in this one. Phone Post
9/20/13 1:34 PM
Brown Balloon Knot
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BubblesNS -
MrAntichrist - I want to believe... Phone Post 3.0
But i just cant :( Phone Post 3.0
All of this Phone Post 3.0
9/20/13 4:01 PM
springfield
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Gustafsson wins I will be shocked. Phone Post
9/20/13 5:12 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Gallagher - 
Motivated Penn -
TopGrinder - Mauler hasn't shocked anyone in his career yet and he is going to do against bones now? Me thinks no..... Sorry guffy u r a good Nordic dude and jones is a faker swagger jacker but he gonna rape u like the rest... Phone Post 3.0

I don't understand how you can say that, he's been the underdog multiple times, everybody was saying how Shogun would trounce him.

Alex came up from the tiny MMA scene in Sweden. He didn't have access to Greg Jackson or Deathclutch to mold him and build him, he's self made from the ground up, and he deserves a LOT more credit for this than people are giving him.
Jones didn't go to Jacksons until after his 2nd or 3rd ufc fight. He was at team bombsquad before. Phone Post

He still grew up in a society where MMA was commonplace, he wrestled in high school and in college, and he's got access to a world of resources that Gustafsson never had.
9/21/13 1:04 AM
Stea1th

sadly he aint going to upset anyone...as much as I woulld love to see him win. 

9/21/13 1:12 AM
SuPeRkEwL ELECTRIC bleu

I think we're going to see Jones work his ground game in this one.
9/21/13 6:05 AM
Phisher

Motivated Penn - 
Frank Gallagher - 
Motivated Penn -

Jones didn't go to Jacksons until after his 2nd or 3rd ufc fight. He was at team bombsquad before. Phone Post

He still grew up in a society where MMA was commonplace, he wrestled in high school and in college, and he's got access to a world of resources that Gustafsson never had.

In a society where MMA was commonplace? Motherfucker are you crazy? MMA didn't gain mainstream appeal until six years ago.

And Jones made it to the UFC a few months after he turned pro training with a small camp and getting his striking tips from Youtube videos. You making out like he had a bunch of shit handed to him is a joke.

Gustafsson's been training with legit guys at Alliance just as long as Jones has been at Jackson's, and he's been boxing just as long as Jones has been wrestling.

9/22/13 10:55 AM
Stea1th

KingofBJJ -

He almost shocked the world.  Machida clipped him.  Vitor nearly arm barred him.  Yet he always came back and destroyed them.

Gus showed he was prepared for any takedowns and pushed Jones  to his limits.  Jones could have bowed out like so many of his anti-fans wanted, but instead pushed himself.

Bloodied and beaten, Jones showed the heart of a what a champion is.

Can some of you finally give him the respect he deserves?

still came off as a douche canoe after the fight. IMO Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.