UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Strip Cruz of the belt

9/22/13 5:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Deepy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao is definitely the champ now. Cruz is am awesome fighter but by now he is basically a paper champ. You can't be the champ of you don't fight. Barao is the default champ by Cruz leaving a walk over. Phone Post
9/22/13 5:26 AM
Pella
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

letsgobois - I think if the Interim title is defended once, it should become the title and the prior champ can fight for it immediately upon his/her return. Phone Post 3.0
VTFU. This! Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 6:20 AM
DevilsAdvocate
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't know this existed when I made my thread. My bad. Phone Post
9/22/13 6:21 AM
TenOfSwords
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There should be an official "statute of limitations" - somewhere between 12 and 18 months.

9/22/13 6:33 AM
Chromium
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TenOfSwords - 

There should be an official "statute of limitations" - somewhere between 12 and 18 months.

Nah, a time-limit like that is what an Interim Champion is for. If you went 18 months for instance, GSP would have been needlessly stripped of the title after 18 months only to beat Condit a month later.

I'd go lax on this for now and tighten it up the policy as needed. It's enough there's one at all for now. Start at 2 years (or more specifically, if the Champion cannot defend the belt by the first appropriate event after 2 years has passed, they are stripped of the belt and the Interim Champion is promoted). However, do the promotion when it can be determined that they won't make it. This makes the real time more like 20-21 months, and people would know a decision was approaching (basically where we are now) several months before that. Cruz would have been stripped in July or earlier.

9/22/13 9:07 AM
kungfugrip
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is barao getting less money as interim champ?

I don't think it matters. People know barao is a machine and is considered top of the ladder. Once they fight, barao will be considered the champ and Cruz will have to prove his worth
9/22/13 11:37 AM
sk8actr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baroa is definitely the champ, I don't see Cruz winning his first fight after 2 years to him.
9/22/13 11:53 AM
Morgz
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 -
genshi - How soon did frank Mir get stripped after his serious motorbike accident? Phone Post 3.0

Not sure but I think Mir's injury was considered career ending right off the bat. I believe Cruz had surgery and his first replacement ligament didnt take. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I believe this to be correct as well. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but I do remember the initial outlook on Mir was very grim.

Also, FWIW, the Mir injury happened at a time where there were only 4-6 events a year -- so it wasn't like another "interim" champ had time or ability to rack up what Renan has. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 11:58 AM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
850 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope. Cruz is the champ and he will beat the shit out of barao when he returns. Its preposterous to siggest otherwise.

The bantamweight title belongs to the greatest 135er on the planet. That man is dominic Cruz Phone Post
9/22/13 12:49 PM
TopGrinder

It's a tough call but at 2 years plus it's stupid. Should be something in place before this happens again. It screws up a division.

Cruz shoul voluntarily give it up. Then a tune up match, then title shot Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 12:56 PM
stevekt
642 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee -  Nope. Cruz is the champ and he will beat the shit out of barao when he returns. Its preposterous to siggest otherwise.

The bantamweight title belongs to the greatest 135er on the planet. That man is dominic Cruz Phone Post

I siggest you except Barao's championship life
9/22/13 12:59 PM
850 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stevekt -
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee -  Nope. Cruz is the champ and he will beat the shit out of barao when he returns. Its preposterous to siggest otherwise.

I siggest you except Barao's championship life
Typo not tardiness. Cruz wull beat barao Phone Post
9/22/13 1:03 PM
Rtchamp15
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jdindiana -
Melvinator86 - Signed Phone Post
. Phone Post 3.0
Signed. Phone Post
9/22/13 1:04 PM
LucasBTiger
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...for his own sake. Cruz needs a tune up fight - not a killer like Barao - first, after 2 years out. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 1:05 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao has that aggressive style I want my champs to have. Real champ. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 1:09 PM
kevsh
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always hated the whole interim champion idea.

If a champion is going to be sidelined long enough that he can't defend the belt have a title fight between the 2 top contenders and name them the champion, period.

When/if the former champ returns he gets an immediate shot as he does now, but as the challenger. It's not much more than semantics but - as many have pointed out - a guy like Barao deserves to be called the world champion w/o "interim" in front of it.
9/22/13 1:14 PM

kevsh - I've always hated the whole interim champion idea.

If a champion is going to be sidelined long enough that he can't defend the belt have a title fight between the 2 top contenders and name them the champion, period.

When/if the former champ returns he gets an immediate shot as he does now, but as the challenger. It's not much more than semantics but - as many have pointed out - a guy like Barao deserves to be called the world champion w/o "interim" in front of it.
Not until he beat cruz he doesn't. He never won the belt. Phone Post
9/22/13 1:19 PM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed. Barao is truly a special athlete. It seems diminishing to attach "interim" to the title of the man cleaning out the division with consistent dominance. Phone Post
9/22/13 1:20 PM
kevsh
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee - 

Okay, let me put it another way.

1) Champ can't defend title in a reasonable time period.
2) Champ is stripped of title.
3) There is no champion so the two top contenders fight to become the champion.

So in this scenario it's irrelevant that Barao didn't beat Cruz as Cruz is not the champion anymore. Since you can't beat a guy if he's unable to fight, how is that fair to Barao that he was to wait 2 1/2 years to be called the official champion, esp. considering he's beating all the top contenders in the meantime?
9/22/13 1:38 PM
OGT

Yeah interim should have an expiration date, 2 years is enough IMO. Phone Post
9/22/13 1:40 PM
JROTT
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As long as they're fighting next then nothing needs to change. Phone Post
9/22/13 1:40 PM

kevsh -
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee - 

Okay, let me put it another way.

1) Champ can't defend title in a reasonable time period.
2) Champ is stripped of title.
3) There is no champion so the two top contenders fight to become the champion.

So in this scenario it's irrelevant that Barao didn't beat Cruz as Cruz is not the champion anymore. Since you can't beat a guy if he's unable to fight, how is that fair to Barao that he was to wait 2 1/2 years to be called the official champion, esp. considering he's beating all the top contenders in the meantime?
You make a great point. They shpuld just call it champion after a period of time. But we all know who the real champ is. Phone Post
9/22/13 1:43 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's funny at the press conference Dana was trying to speak for Barao saying he wants to beat the man (Cruz) to really consider himself the champion. The reporter then asked Barao and Barao said he considers himself the champ already and he's just waiting for the UFC to give him the real title.
9/22/13 2:02 PM
Il Duce
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. Unfair to Renan. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 2:07 PM
CrazyPope
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed. This is getting ridiculous. If he wants it, Cruz deserves an immediate title shot upon return, but Barao is the champ imo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.