UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> your thoughts on Jones at HW now

9/22/13 1:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
war wand
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still think he demolishes the likes of meathead and schaub but the top tier like cormier, cain and jds would slaughter him.
9/22/13 1:16 AM
MMAMAZ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. Especially JDS. Jones can't box unfortunately... Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 1:16 AM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's clear now that his greatest advantage is his size. If placed against someone that is fast and large, it equalizes most of his "talent". Anyone that thought he ever stood a chance against a HW was dreaming anyway. He's really good, but he couldn't take a flush shot to the temple from JDS or Cain or Mir etc.

9/22/13 1:18 AM
carsnick
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 1:27 AM
Rob San Soo

Cain , jds will smash him , I even think Barnett can take him down and sub him. ;) Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 1:53 AM
DoomFarmer
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Werdum, Miocic, Browne, Overeem, JDS, Cain all beat him. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 2:24 AM
war wand
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 10:36 AM
jpm995
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To say Jones is not talented is crazy. His size is a great weapon but he's also very skilled and has great heart. His standup needs improvement but hes a champ and still improving.I think as long as Jackson is manageing him he'll stay at 205.
9/22/13 11:39 AM
fathalpert
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put him in there with the Warmaster and we'll see where he stands amongst the HWs.
9/22/13 11:43 AM
hubris
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he has absolutely no head movement at all, he's used to fighting guys he dwarfs and just sticking his hand out there and hoping to poke an eye as boxing defense
9/22/13 12:13 PM
Slobonmynog
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hubris - he has absolutely no head movement at all, he's used to fighting guys he dwarfs and just sticking his hand out there and hoping to poke an eye as boxing defense
Did you watch the fight?

Jones moves his head a lot. He slipped a ton of gus' punches last night. Phone Post
9/22/13 12:16 PM
Authority Figure

He has great talent. But it "seems" to be nullified by tall fighters with kickboxing skills. Which is ironic, because didnt he start out in kickboxing?

9/22/13 12:18 PM
ABE FROMAN

The same opinion I had before, beats everybody but the top 3-5.

9/22/13 12:18 PM
CiganoBoxer

JDS would box Jones head off....no more silly talk please.
9/22/13 12:19 PM
hubris
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - 

He has great talent. But it "seems" to be nullified by tall fighters with kickboxing skills. Which is ironic, because didnt he start out in kickboxing?

he started out in wrestling
9/22/13 12:21 PM
hubris

ABE FROMAN - 

I think Brendan Schaub would beat Jones
9/22/13 12:22 PM
dangerboy12
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he beats them all, because I think Gus would also beat most or all of them.

Those 2 guys are big guys who simply cut weight. Both guys would be 230-240 if they decided to add mass instead of cut weight. They are both tall, strong, skilled, fast, and tough.

I think Cain would be the toughest for both guys because he's faster and a better wrestler, and has better cardio, but, IMO, there are no good HW's out there right now who are physically superior to Jones and Gus.
9/22/13 12:26 PM
ABE FROMAN

hubris - 
ABE FROMAN - 

I don't know why you think his performance against such a great fighter like Gustavvsen warrants that judgement.

9/22/13 12:29 PM
hubris

ABE FROMAN - 
hubris - 
ABE FROMAN - 

I don't know why you think his performance against such a great fighter like Gustavvsen warrants that judgement.

Schaub is a superior athlete compared to Jones and Gustaffson. that is why
9/22/13 12:31 PM
ABE FROMAN

hubris - 
ABE FROMAN - 
hubris - 
ABE FROMAN - 

Schaub is a superior athlete compared to Jones and Gustaffson. that is why

Hmmm...disagree, but acknowledged. Might be interesting to find out.

9/22/13 12:32 PM
hubris

I think a good first fight at HW for Jones would be Meathead to be honest
9/22/13 12:48 PM
Happiness Bunny
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fathalpert - Put him in there with the Warmaster and we'll see where he stands amongst the HWs.

My mind just orgasmed at the thought of that happening.
9/22/13 1:23 PM
mghan44
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TOAO - jones talent is only in his size, and it showed in this fight.

It showed in his win over a consensus #2 world ranked LHW with equal size?
9/22/13 1:29 PM
mghan44
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - 

It's clear now that his greatest advantage is his size. If placed against someone that is fast and large, it equalizes most of his "talent". Anyone that thought he ever stood a chance against a HW was dreaming anyway. He's really good, but he couldn't take a flush shot to the temple from JDS or Cain or Mir etc.

How do you come to that conclusion? Has Jon ever really been rocked or shown a weak chin?

There is really not a ton of difference between the taller LHWs and HW fighters come fight time. Jones would be able to come into a HW fight at around 230-235. That is about normal range for a HW fighter.

Of course he wouldn't dominate against Cain, JDS or Barnett but there is no reason to suspect that he wouldn't still be a top HW. I would still give Jon a solid shot against a guy like Cain with the right training camp.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.