UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> This fight was good for MMA....

9/22/13 3:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ABE FROMAN
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...but gotdamn has it brought out some foolishness.

Used to be a close fight would just be a close fight, now apparently it's a 'pick a side' fest and then proceed to post constantly about how bad the other side is. 

All this shit about 'hard to consider Jones the champ' and 'Alexander is the peoples champ' is the same madness we've heard before. It's like people can't accept their fighter losing, and the funny thing is that Alexander was very few people's pick until he stepped it up tonight.

The truth is that having a dominant champion is awesome but having a dominant champion with a dominant challenger is even better. I posted a thread yesterday saying a loss would shake the division up enough to make MMA fun again, I'm not sure if I believe that now. If the consensus is that whenever a champion you don't like wins a closely contested decision means months of crying and talking major shit, it isn't fun. It's bullshit.

Do we have anybody that can agree to disagree on the results of the fight without some bullshit overhead? We saw a great fight and a loss that could've gone either way but Alex lost. Lost. He didn't win. He may win next time and that's what makes it fun. Calling the champion all kinds of names because you didn't get a win isn't fun, it's garbage.

Can we get some common sense posters on this thread?

9/22/13 3:06 AM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anything be mad at the judges and how shitty this 10-9 system is for MMA. Fights should be judged as a whole and not round for round..

But Abe, how many fans truly put in that mat/mitt work into any given martial art to give them an educated opinion or appreciation of what they're watching?
9/22/13 3:11 AM
ABE FROMAN
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

armbarseverywhere - If anything be mad at the judges and how shitty this 10-9 system is for MMA. Fights should be judged as a whole and not round for round..

But Abe, how many fans truly put in that mat/mitt work into any given martial art to give them an educated opinion or appreciation of what they're watching?

I would say zero but we have some people on here that deserve more respect than that. 

I just long for the days where we could root for a fighter and it not get nasty in a win or loss.

It's stupid.

Right now we should be talking about Alexander's strengths and the weaknesses that Jon might've shown for the first time. Instead, we're getting 'the Viking beat your guy'.

C'mon son. We're all fans, cut the bullshit.

9/22/13 3:19 AM
gokudamus stole my name iv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's good because it shows us who the dopes are who can't score a fight for someone they dislike.
9/22/13 3:24 AM
Wicked smahtMF

yeah im realizing just how many retards we have in our sport afa fan base. i mean its baffling. ive seen many many people saying "UFC is fixed", "im never watching again", and the like... and theyre dead serious.its sad
9/22/13 3:25 AM
Strykr619

Whats the point in being constructive ? You will just get flamed like an idiot.

I'm starting to wonder if there is any other mma sites out there now with a smaller amount of idiots because when i have to start sounding like a troll just to try and get my point across.

Its sad how much the quality of the UG has gone to shit now.
9/22/13 3:32 AM
jerdney

Strykr619 - Whats the point in being constructive ? You will just get flamed like an idiot.

I'm starting to wonder if there is any other mma sites out there now with a smaller amount of idiots because when i have to start sounding like a troll just to try and get my point across.

Its sad how much the quality of the UG has gone to shit now.
I've only been here for a short period of time, but I do find the trolls super annoying. It's not fun to see threads start out good but turn into message upon message between a couple guys, calling each others mothers stupid Phone Post
9/22/13 3:33 AM
ABE FROMAN

I thought Jon eeked out a decision in a fight he was clearly getting blasted in. I say 'eeked' because that's what happened. He did enough so that the momentum was on his side. He landed some significant shots and almost finished the fight, that's what I saw. If someone saw different that's cool. Trying to get everybody to name Gustavvson as the 'People's Champ' is just sour grapes.

Alex has the right stuff to get a victory over Jones, something I didn't think he could do.

Let the guy enjoy the performance without trying to shit on Jones. The guy gutted it out, all we can ask for is a good fight and they both gave it to us. 

9/22/13 3:39 AM
AndersonSilvasMoney
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/22/13 3:57 AM

It's the Internet. People have to pick sides. UFC vs Bellator, MMA vs boxing, Gus vs Jones. There's no middle ground here. My side is right, your side is wrong. Shit goes into overdrive after PPVs.

9/22/13 3:51 AM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - 

Used to be a close fight would just be a close fight, now apparently it's a 'pick a side' fest and then proceed to post constantly about how bad the other side is. 

All this shit about 'hard to consider Jones the champ' and 'Alexander is the peoples champ' is the same madness we've heard before. It's like people can't accept their fighter losing, and the funny thing is that Alexander was very few people's pick until he stepped it up tonight.

The truth is that having a dominant champion is awesome but having a dominant champion with a dominant challenger is even better. I posted a thread yesterday saying a loss would shake the division up enough to make MMA fun again, I'm not sure if I believe that now. If the consensus is that whenever a champion you don't like wins a closely contested decision means months of crying and talking major shit, it isn't fun. It's bullshit.

Do we have anybody that can agree to disagree on the results of the fight without some bullshit overhead? We saw a great fight and a loss that could've gone either way but Alex lost. Lost. He didn't win. He may win next time and that's what makes it fun. Calling the champion all kinds of names because you didn't get a win isn't fun, it's garbage.

Name a time in mma history that fans weren't playing pick-a-side. Hell, you can't name a time in all of sports. Hell, u can't name a time in human history. History is defined by rivalries and competition. Stop crying because Jon Jones was gifted a decision and the rightful champ goes back to Sweden beltless
9/22/13 3:57 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 09/22/13 4:01 AM
in_different - 
ABE FROMAN - 

Name a time in mma history that fans weren't playing pick-a-side. Hell, you can't name a time in all of sports. Hell, u can't name a time in human history. History is defined by rivalries and competition. Stop crying because Jon Jones was gifted a decision and the rightful champ goes back to Sweden beltless

What I said was 'pick a side and proceed to post constantly about how bad the other side is'. 

I can name that time all day, it was a bit before 1/20/12.

During the Pride days we all had our favorite fighters and it got heated, but it rarely got to the point where it became a shit slinging contest for your favorite pick. Nobody got on here after Crocop lost to Randleman and talked about how shitty Crocop's standup really is, or told him to go back to Croatia where they can't Box.

Find the various other threads where you can troll endlessly. It's not here.

9/22/13 4:45 AM
Au Jus
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. I thought Alex would get starched and he ended up kicking ass. Good for him.

Fight was close but jones won. It will be interesting to see what a rematch brings. I think both fighters learned a lot in this fight.

Refreshing to see a competitive fight for Jones. Congrats to both fighters. Phone Post
9/22/13 4:59 AM
pistolpete86

Agreed Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 4:59 AM
BigSleep
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Abe is correct. Close fight, awesome fight.

To call this a robbery is ridiculous. Jones was really close to finishing this as well. I actually thought Alex won but if you know MMA you have to understand the decision.
9/22/13 5:24 AM
The Pendulum

Joshua King - You're one of the good ones, Abe

That fight made me proud to be an mma fan and was on par with the best fights I've ever seen.

Two of the best in the world
No hesitation
No sloppy bum striking
No gassed out hugging
No point fighting
NO CLOCK WATCHING

Best fight ever

Oh and welcome to the Big Gus Era Phone Post 3.0
No clock watching.

Say again? Phone Post
9/22/13 5:34 AM
XIITT_JBASS
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had Gus winning the fight, but can accept that people saw Jones get the nod. That fight was so fuckin' close.

This could setup an interesting rematch and help people forget about the loss of the superfights.  

9/22/13 5:55 AM
thatcpjguy

It's one thing to win a close decision that most people agree with (hendo vs shogun) and it's another thing when you win a decision and around half if not more viewers think the decision was wrong.

With jones being one of the most disliked fighters before the fight, all this fight did was add fuel to the fire. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 6:04 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 09/22/13 6:23 AM

People just cant accept that a close fight will go either way.  People dont understand the meaning of "Robbery".  This wasnt anywhere close to a robbery... even if Gus won.

You gotta give it to Gus though, because you gotta be one tough man to do that to Jon Jones.

9/22/13 6:47 AM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - 
armbarseverywhere - If anything be mad at the judges and how shitty this 10-9 system is for MMA. Fights should be judged as a whole and not round for round..

I would say zero but we have some people on here that deserve more respect than that. 

I just long for the days where we could root for a fighter and it not get nasty in a win or loss.

It's stupid.

Right now we should be talking about Alexander's strengths and the weaknesses that Jon might've shown for the first time. Instead, we're getting 'the Viking beat your guy'.

C'mon son. We're all fans, cut the bullshit.

I agree!

and not to change the subject Abe, but thats why I was posting about my background on the would MM win UFC1 thread. 13'r know it alls stating EXACTLY how shit would go down FOR SURE, when most have probably never touched a mat/pad in their life. experience and training can make a difference with what your watching and seeing or think your seeing.
9/22/13 7:45 AM
Bobby Lupo
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We learned 4 things in this fight

1- Jon Jones can deal with adversity and come back to win.
2- Alex Gustafsson is a lot better than most of us thought he was
3- Alex needs to get his cardio up
4- MMA fans are still cunts
9/22/13 8:02 AM
rbl
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A great fight, Ali/Frazier for MMA? I was hoping Gus got it just because anyone wearing a shirt saying "Not Quite Human" rubs me the wrong way, but the decision wasn't terrible. The belt shouldn't change hands too easily anyway. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 8:06 AM
Blunderhooks
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

100% right OP.

VU Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 8:06 AM
banco

I have no doubt Abe would be less sanguine about the result if it had gone against Jones.
9/22/13 8:08 AM
ghost of KVR
690 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHomeSteadingBoards.com, Owner

great post abe, I thought gus won, especially when they said 49-46, I thought to myself, there's no way someone gave Bones a 49-46 score, it was a awesome fight and was close, can't wait for the rematch

9/22/13 8:35 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

No black fighter has ever lost a close decision according to Abe

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.