UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fight Metric stats for Jones/Gus

9/22/13 3:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the islander
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/22/13 3:35 AM
the islander
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

9/22/13 3:39 AM
Fastedz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read it and weep haters. Phone Post
9/22/13 3:40 AM
MediumRareMistake
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why did the UFC show Gus 88-18 in head strikes in round 3 or 4? Close fight Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 3:41 AM
Dublin_Huntington
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a good close fight which Jones won, like the stats say.. Phone Post
9/22/13 3:44 AM
kyleburkle

9/22/13 3:51 AM
the islander

kyleburkle - 

every strike landed waas a significant strike? Might have just been a typo or something. Not sure what to believe

9/22/13 3:54 AM
Jambo888
496 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jones should have been able to do more damage with those head kicks... turn that hip over and turn out the lights. the elbows were very good though. totally turned round 4.

9/22/13 3:57 AM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If a leg jab and a head shot count the same in judging, I am not sure what I am watching anymore.
9/22/13 3:57 AM
kyleburkle

the islander - 
kyleburkle - 

every strike landed waas a significant strike? Might have just been a typo or something. Not sure what to believe

well that ufc on yours has 114 landed and 110 significant so yes that one says basically every landed was significant

9/22/13 4:11 AM
dubate
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gus lost to Jones and cardio. If he gets into "elite level athlete" type shape so he can keep up that first round pace for the whole fight, it will be one hell of a rematch. Phone Post
9/22/13 4:41 AM
Sublime7SD
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know, no matter how you saw the fight (I was pulling for Gus but scored 2, 4, and 5 for Jones) a couple significant things happened tonight that are hard to deny without looking stupid.

First of all, it's hard to call Gus anything but one of 205's elite at this point. People have been calling him great for a few years, but there were just as many if not more people saying that he was being overrated. After tonight, it's pretty much impossible to argue against Gus being one of the best in the division.

Aside from that, I think it's fair to say that Jones had developed an aura of invincibility to some degree after destroying all competition. Perhaps some people didn't perceive that aura, but many did. He certainly had an aura of invincibility of sorts in my mind. That's not to say I thought he was invincible, just that it was hard to picture him not being dominant when all I'd seen from him was dominance. That aura was completely shattered tonight. Not only did Jones look confused and frustrated for much of the fight, he looked very beatable tonight. Alex truly came prepared for this fight. Jones' takedowns have looked unstoppable in his previous fights, but Gus was able to shake them off all night and land one of his own. That was what was most shocking to me. I expected Gus to win on the feet, but I also expected Jones to be able to get the takedown and keep the position. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Like most people, I don't really care for being wrong in general, but tonight was an occasion where I couldn't be happier about it. Both men left everything they had in that cage tonight and it made for a spectacular fight. It's a shame that the perceived bad decision seems to have ruined it for so many people.

I think we can expect to see big improvements from both fighters after this experience, which is just more good news. Alex has now gone a full five rounds with the champion in a fight that was truly a test of heart and desire for both men. I'm sure his cardio will get a bit more attention in the future. Jones also experienced something new -- things went wrong for him for more than just a couple of seconds. He experienced real adversity for long stretches of this fight where his offense was completely ineffectual and his defense was repeatedly penetrated. Hopefully he decides to focus a bit more on his hands in training, because his lack of proficiency with them was more evident in this fight than any other. He also got to experience having a nice cut right above the eye for the majority of 5 rounds, as well as an apparently "shattered foot" for much of the fight, so I hear. So in my mind, Jones proved that he has the heart of a champion tonight. Also, both men proved they can take a solid shot on the chin. Personally, I've wondered about Jon's ability to take a real hard, clean punch. He seemed to deal with it well tonight.

Normally I'm not in favor of instant or quick rematches, but this is a scenario where I don't have any problems with it. Although I thought Jones won, it was undeniably a very close fight. Furthermore, I think that if Gus were able to go hard for the full 5 rounds, he has a great chance of taking the belt. It was one of the best fights I've seen this year for sure. It's really a shame that the decision is causing so much unrest. The controversy is overshadowing what was really an instant classic in my eyes.
9/22/13 7:20 AM
Fastedz

Great articulate post sublime. Phone Post
9/22/13 9:11 AM
Von Brawn

so every shiity leg teep and desperate spinning attack is a significant strike?

What a joke
9/22/13 9:24 AM
Honey Badger

Von Brawn - so every shiity leg teep and desperate spinning attack is a significant strike?

What a joke
Fucking this. Bullshit Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 9:24 AM
JamesTheWelshDR
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tdd should equal a td IMO Phone Post
9/22/13 9:27 AM
GeoDim
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Von Brawn - so every shiity leg teep and desperate spinning attack is a significant strike?

What a joke
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cQbvagzy0RY/Uj50IwO8rqI/AAAAAAAAweA/RLjPrJhpano/s1600/11.gif Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 9:30 AM
Lurkdaddy316
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GeoDim - 

What a joke
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cQbvagzy0RY/Uj50IwO8rqI/AAAAAAAAweA/RLjPrJhpano/s1600/11.gif Phone Post 3.0

You'd have a point if all of his spinning attacks landed like that.
9/22/13 9:31 AM
CavRyda
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GeoDim - 

What a joke

9/22/13 9:41 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
2, 4 & 5 for Jones with the 2nd being the closest.
9/22/13 9:48 AM
The Brotorious B.I.G

. Phone Post
9/22/13 9:59 AM
showtime SNAPPED my toothpick
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hellride - If a leg jab and a head shot count the same in judging, I am not sure what I am watching anymore.
This Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 10:16 AM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kyleburkle - 

What am I looking at here?Are these two separate scoring entities? If so, no wonder wny there's so much talk about who wins and loses. Total strikes landed has a difference of 77. So somewhere one side saw 77 more strikes land or one side missed 77 strikes. I don't understand. Plus one side saw 8 td attempts while the other saw 5? What are the standards?

9/22/13 10:18 AM
shaqitup
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 - 
Von Brawn - so every shiity leg teep and desperate spinning attack is a significant strike?

What a joke

why were they "desparate"..? especially for a guy who's hurt nearly every opponent he's faced with "desparate spinning attack"...also wasn't the elbow in round 4 "desparate spinning attack"? looked REALLY EFFECTIVE to me...

because he landed 1, maybe 2 of them.

9/22/13 10:24 AM
SickEyeDiaz
428 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fastedz -  Great articulate post sublime. Phone Post

This and VTFU

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.