UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gus: You have to finish the champ to take title

9/22/13 2:43 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jon Bones Jones @JonnyBones
That fight was just what I needed

Prior to UFC 165 Saturday night, the only proven way to beat Jon Jones was to lay bleeding and pray for an illegal 12-6 elbow.

Alexander Gustafsson showed another path is within reach, and he very, very nearly walked it to the title.

During the UFC 165 post show on Fox Sports 2 Gustafsson was the epitome of respect, as he called for an immediate rematch.

“I learned a lot from this fight," said 'The Mauler.' "He's the champ for a reason. To take the belt from the champ you need to finish him. That's how it is and I didn't do it. The biggest lesson is I have to push the pace harder. I just did what I thought I could do and it wasn’t enough. I will come back stronger and better. I’m disappointed, but I’m very proud of what I did and my team.”

And Gustafsson is enthusiastic about the prospect of a rematch, but was not demanding.

"Absolutely, I'm down whenever,'' said Gustafsson. "I want a rematch right away, if I can. It's up to the UFC. I'm just blessed to be fighting in the UFC. I believe it's an honor to fight Jones and I'll be ready whenever they call me."

What do you think UG?
•Was the unanimous judges' decision one you agree with?
•Should Gustafsson get an immediate rematch?
•Do you have to finish the champ to take his title?

9/22/13 2:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JStrongMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humble guy. Give him the rematch Dana. Phone Post
9/22/13 2:58 PM
KWAI

When he showed signs of being tired is when he lost in the judges mind. Otherwise he may of won or gone to a draw. Great effort.
9/22/13 2:59 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could tell that he wasn't that upset with the decision because in the back of his head he knew he did well enough to win. He deserves an immediate rematch IMO.
9/22/13 3:00 PM
shatefak

Gus is a cool motherfucker Phone Post
9/22/13 3:01 PM
The Brool Story Company

really hope he beats Jones convincingly in the hematch

9/22/13 3:04 PM
DatSpider
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/22/13 3:08 PM
BJ Penn,Edgar and Rampage would all like their belts back then.

Anyway, Gus should be proud of himself.An unassuming, humble yet confident man who's a great representative for Scandinavia.
9/22/13 3:05 PM
thatkidrichard91

Funny, Gus didn't complain about the judges decision not once, yet hating the decision and calling for a robbery was all the rage last night. Respect to Gus though, such a great competitor, the rematch will be a good one Phone Post
9/22/13 3:08 PM
js138
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KWAI - When he showed signs of being tired is when he lost in the judges mind. Otherwise he may of won or gone to a draw. Great effort.
I had a similar thought, staggering and almost not being able to stand definitely hurt his chance of winning. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 3:26 PM
UGCTT_ConditFryedKampmannRare
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rematch! I want to see it really bad. Glover could use one more fight in the mean time anyway. Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 3:39 PM
Winston Wolf

rematch
9/22/13 3:51 PM
Godmode
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking bad to the fight, it could go either way DEPENDING ON HOW YOU JUDGED THE 4TH.

Alex Gustafsson is the perfect fighter to challenge Jones' title. The TD defense, the boxing superiority, his overall wrestling capability, his IRON JAW, his reach and size...

After this match I really believe Gustafsson is the true number 2 in the world's LHW division. Glover could get picked apart from the outside, or could get caught coming in and getting dropped.

This being said, I wouldn't mind a fight before a rematch for both Jon and Alex.
9/22/13 3:52 PM
twodragunns
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/22/13 3:53 PM

Gus is a class act ..... no complaints about the judging, even though he clearly won 4 rounds to 1 with rd 4 being very close due to JJ dominating the last minute. Gus won that fight imo 49-48, but once agian the judging was horrible and incorrect. It was an epic title fight that I enjoyed very much and had me on the edge of my seat for 25 minutes.

9/22/13 3:52 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love his attitude.! Phone Post
9/22/13 3:55 PM
Wicked smahtMF

class-act
9/22/13 3:59 PM
Wicked smahtMF

thatkidrichard91 -  Funny, Gus didn't complain about the judges decision not once, yet hating the decision and calling for a robbery was all the rage last night. Respect to Gus though, such a great competitor, the rematch will be a good one Phone Post

Gus was just as broken as Bones by the time that last bell rung. I swore Jones was about to lose at the end of the 3rd. thats really the most impressive thing about last night... yeah Gus was a fucking juggernaut but Jones was fucking Apollo Creed. i remember thinking now we're going to see what this kid is made of. and we did. hes the champ no ifs-ands-or-maybes.
9/22/13 4:01 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Viking blood.
9/22/13 4:05 PM
kid chaos
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shatefak - Gus is a cool motherfucker Phone Post
This

But I kind of disagree with the whole "you have to finish him" to win. Everybody enjoys a good finish but some guys are really hard to finish, dan henderson, Bj penn.

Decisions are a part of the game Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 4:05 PM
Kings21
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gusta deserves the rematch immediately. Its not like he lost a blowout decision. I didnt have him winning but thought it was close and a ton of people had him winning. Thats cause for an immediate rematch imo, especially when it was such a war.

As far as Glover goes, I didnt even think before this fight that a win over Bader was deserving of a title shot and also with his performance during that fight, I think proves he's not ready. He even said himself he was disappointed with his performance that night. Give Glover Phil Davis imo.

As long as Gusta is healthy enough I think he deserves the rematch more than anyone else getting their shot.
9/22/13 4:22 PM
UGCTT_ConditFryedKampmannRare
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ -

No Gus you don't have to finish the champ, but it doesn't help spending 5 round running from him.

Do you ever have anything intelligent to say? Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 4:23 PM
Kings21
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - 

No Gus you don't have to finish the champ, but it doesn't help spending 5 round running from him.

here we go.....
9/22/13 4:26 PM
kid chaos
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't bite Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 4:47 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
KingofBJJ - 

You better be great at BJJ because you're not the KingofCommonSense.
9/22/13 5:04 PM
FreightTrain

A challenger can get a decision victory but it has to be a convincing win.

That having been said, I cant wait to see the fight. :-P

Will be watching it this afternoon.
9/22/13 5:24 PM
Bisping decisioned my SN

He learned that one the hard way lol Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.