UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Man and his 17 foot Crocodile best friend

9/24/13 9:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ben Gardners boat
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G-fQu6EpmFY

"Pocho, the 5.2 meter (17 feet) long friendly crocodile!

Costa Rican fisherman Chito first met the croc after finding him with a gunshot 
wound on the banks of the Central American state's Parismina river 20 years ago. He had been shot in the left eye by a cattle farmer and was close to death. But Chito enlisted the help of several pals to load the massive reptile into his boat and later give him aid and treatment. 
In the words of Chito, "When I found Pocho in the river he was dying, so I brought him into my house. He was very skinny, weighing only around 150 lb. I gave him chicken and fish and medicine for six months to help him recover. I stayed by Pocho's side while he was ill, sleeping next to him at night. I just wanted him to feel that somebody loved him, that not all humans are bad. It meant a lot of sacrifice. I had to be there every day. It took years before Chito felt that Pocho had bonded with him enough to get closer to the animal." 

At one point during his recovery, Chito left the croc in a lake near his house but to his amazement Pocho started following him. Later, Chito got the confidence to get closer to him, with first only attempting to splash with him in the river but later they bonded so well that for almost 2 decades the duo performed tricks for the local crowds.

But in October 2011, Pocho, around 50 years old at that time, died of natural causes and a funeral was held for him. 

At his funeral, Chito couldn't held back his tears and said, "Pocho is Pocho, the only one. There is no more Pocho. He will be the only Pocho there ever was."
True Story: When man and croc become best friends

9/24/13 9:36 AM
Ben Gardners boat
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/24/13 9:37 AM
Barbasol OOTFFTT
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chito missed out on a great pair of boots

9/24/13 9:38 AM
Barbasol OOTFFTT
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, thats actually a good story

9/24/13 9:39 AM
Ben Gardners boat

The last picture he says goodbye to his friend. 

9/24/13 9:41 AM
Ben Gardners boat

Barbasol OOTFFTT - 

Seriously, thats actually a good story

Thanks. Yeah that's what I thought. That last picture is actually sad isn't it? Ridiculous I know! 

9/24/13 9:43 AM
KneeToFaceKO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great story. Phone Post
9/24/13 9:47 AM
I AM A MOFO
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am so fucking jealous of that guy I'm almost angry.

But respect, and RIP Pocho.
9/24/13 9:47 AM
bruised
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had no idea that a prehistoric dinosaur reptile was capable of bonding. OH Experts, just how smart are these crocodiles? Phone Post
9/24/13 9:50 AM
Arsenal88
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, having a pet crocodile has to be the coolest feeling in the world when you figure out he doesn't want to eat you. Phone Post 3.0
9/24/13 10:02 AM
Chris Weidened My Sphincter
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking crazy that people can bond with predators like crocodiles and lions. Phone Post 3.0
9/24/13 10:07 AM
billyball2
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YukiNakai'sEye - A pet dinosaur. That's pretty ballsy. Phone Post 3.0

This.

Dude obviously doesn't have much else going on, so he was able to spend 100% of his time with the thing.

Maybe someone should get him a puppy?
9/24/13 10:10 AM
Barbasol OOTFFTT

billyball2 - 
YukiNakai'sEye - A pet dinosaur. That's pretty ballsy. Phone Post 3.0

This.

Dude obviously doesn't have much else going on, so he was able to spend 100% of his time with the thing.

Maybe someone should get him a puppy?

he had a puppy but Pocho ate it

9/24/13 10:49 AM
flyingtoehold
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
9/24/13 10:52 AM
romfartuna
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
9/24/13 10:56 AM
Ben Gardners boat

bruised -  I had no idea that a prehistoric dinosaur reptile was capable of bonding. OH Experts, just how smart are these crocodiles? Phone Post

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6BHIehdXhc&feature=related

i think they're mostly instinct driven as the above video shows. It's a guy called rob bredl aka "the barefoot bushman" an Aussie guy who runs a wildlife park with some very large 15-17 foot crocs. The demo he does at the start shows that the croc will only slowly swim along the bottom of the pool in response to him dangling his foot in the pool. It only strikes when he splashes and even when he slowly puts his foot right next to its head it doesn't strike. If crocs were smart it would just grab him as he's right there to be grabbed.

i remember another vid he did of when he would get in the shallow end of the crocs pool the same thing would happen. The croc would slowly creep along the bottom of the pool in preparation to ambush him. He would then get out and go to the other end of the pool and splash about and the croc would slowly turn around and creep up to ambush him again so he'd just climb out before it could. 

If the croc was smart one flick of its tail and it would be tucking into him before he knew what was happening. 

9/24/13 11:00 AM
ChicagoTom
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread reminds me of Lyle the crocodile Phone Post 3.0
9/24/13 11:01 AM
DonFrye_Fan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's pretty friggin cool. Phone Post
9/24/13 11:12 AM
Ben Gardners boat

I've looked online to see if there's any expert opinion as to how Chito managed to befriend Pocho and not get killed. But there's nothing there apart from yahoo and Wiki answers saying you can't tame crocodilians.

I found this on one site "Crocs are more social than all other reptiles. Though they primarily lead solitary lives, they resort to group behavior for important activities such as hunting or raising hatchlings. Crocs don’t merely recognize one other, they form long-term relationships. They are hierarchical and communicate by means of vocalization, postures, chemical signals, even touch."

I'd love to hear from any reptile or animal behaviour experts on here but I think Chito managed to be viewed by  Pocho almost as a mate or at least just another non threatening smaller crocodile in the same territory. 

As Chito always fed him and obviously didn't eat Pochos food Pocho wouldn't view him as competition or a threat and as there were no other crocodiles in his pool Pocho would not need to be aggressive or territorial like saltwater crocs usually are.

And as Chito fed him Pocho would never be hungry around him either. 

Or maybe Pocho was brain damaged from being shot in the head? 

Stool Cory though however it happened.

9/24/13 12:32 PM
Boynamedsue
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

animals of course have a basic behaviour
But I believe no two animals are the same.
Animals do all kinds of crazy shit.
My 2 cats and my 90 pound staff are scared of my African grey parrot Phone Post 3.0
9/24/13 12:54 PM
Darth_Vladar
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's incredible, maybe I will try to tame myself a crocodile too. Phone Post 3.0
9/24/13 12:57 PM
MickColins
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best friends until the food runs low.

Then he's 4-5 hours away from becoming a bowel movement.

9/24/13 1:36 PM
Sherlock bonesalot
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Darth_Vladar - That's incredible, maybe I will try to tame myself a crocodile too. Phone Post 3.0
Rip friend Phone Post 3.0
9/24/13 1:56 PM
Ben Gardners boat

MickColins - 

Best friends until the food runs low.

Then he's 4-5 hours away from becoming a bowel movement.

It's actually an American Crocodile not a saltwater which may go some way to explaining the fact Chito was never attacked. 

"Despite their large size, American crocodiles do not regularly attack large animals as most large crocodilians do. Fish, reptiles, birds and small mammals make up majority of their diet. On occasion large mammals such as deer and domestic animals are taken. Their dietary habits in coastal regions are not well studied. Like any other large crocodilian, the American crocodile is potentially dangerous to humans, but it is not a very aggressive species and attacks are rare."

9/24/13 2:15 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's more to reptiles than what we thought of as certainties before.

I've seen a footage of Komodo Dragons behaving like giant pets. Oozing with delight at getting patted on the head. They looked so much like... mammals.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.