UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Joe Rogan is Misinformed

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9/25/13 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mghan44
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im a fan of Joe Rogan and not making this to hate on him but came off as very misinformed when discussing vegetarianism on the podcast with Barnett. I've noticed other times when this has bugged me when he is discussing meat eating vs. vegetarianism too.

First I am going to say that I am a "semi" vegetarian. I rarely eat meat but will eat game meat on occasion and sometimes eat sushi. I don't necessarily have any problem with people eating meat, everyone makes their own decisions and Im not some vegetarian crusader. My reasons are simply that I don't like the idea of a sentient being living its life as nothing more than a commodity.

Joe made two points that seemed uninformed. First he mentioned the increase in carnivores if we didn't eat cows because they would have more prey. Obviously, cows are not natural prey of any carnivores out there. The domestic cattle in the world exist because we breed them in extreme amounts, it's not like these are natural cattle numbers that would sustain predator populations. I don't think people are advocating just letting all the cattle go to roam freely. Also, they talked numerous times about the way nature balances itself. Even if you did you would maybe see a slight increase in predator numbers before a very sharp decrease in prey numbers as the numbers evened out.

Second, Joe discussed the importance of farming and what would happen if all of the people in NYC decided to stop eating meat. Farming isn't just livestock. There is something like 600 million metric tons of agricultural products produced in the US per year, only 35-40 million of which is meat. Then you consider that 30-40% of grains grown in the US (which are BY FAR the largest crops grown in the US) are used to FEED LIVESTOCK. That something like 80 million tons of grain or more. Put simply, with the already converted farmland in the US, you can feed more people with meatless diets than meat diets.

I'm assuming not many people give a shit, but it was really bugging me today listening to Joe and I know he comes on here sometimes so I hope he sees it. Still love the podcast though.
9/25/13 5:42 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy
1268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.UncleCreepyMMA.com, UGCTT President
I thought this was gonna be about the baby whipes convo on his last podcast, i want to text em and let him know they make flushable baby whipes where they do not clog your toilet and its like your ass taking a shower every time you whipe...

carry on
9/25/13 5:45 PM
DumpsterBaby
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try talking for 3 hours straight without saying something stupid.
MEOWticket
373 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_UncleCreepy - I thought this was gonna be about the baby whipes convo on his last podcast, i want to text em and let him know they make flushable baby whipes where they do not clog your toilet and its like your ass taking a shower every time you whipe...

carry on
WAR WIPIES! Phone Post
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_UncleCreepy - I thought this was gonna be about the baby whipes convo on his last podcast, i want to text em and let him know they make flushable baby whipes where they do not clog your toilet and its like your ass taking a shower every time you whipe...

carry on
Lol Phone Post
9/25/13 5:46 PM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/13 5:49 PM

A lot of people are misinformed about Vegetarianism and Veganism (which I am neither) almost by choice because of how much "alternative diet" people wear it on their sleeve and preach (Not all I know). Joe is a "question everything" kind of guy but ironically if there's a reverse stigma in the "Alpha Male" department he seems to do what you explain and he's not alone, I have dozen's of friends like it and also dozen's of Vegan friends who are themselves selectively purposefully misinformed about anything to do with sports or athletics.

Personally I don't give a shit about stigma, I'd rather be informed about something than go on an ignorantly ranting about it (as much as humanely possible) like I know, and when I make the mistake to do it and am wrong I would rather get it right than change the argument to still seem right.

9/25/13 5:46 PM
time traveling 12er
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MEOWticket - 

carry on
WAR WIPIES! Phone Post

They should make that the tag line for the adds. "Flush-able Baby wipes... it's like your ass taking a shower every time you wipe."
9/25/13 5:48 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy
1268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - 
MEOWticket - 

carry on
WAR WIPIES! Phone Post

They should make that the tag line for the adds. "Flush-able Baby wipes... it's like your ass taking a shower every time you wipe."

hahahahah do i get paid for coming up with it?? lol
9/25/13 5:49 PM
mghan44
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_UncleCreepy - I thought this was gonna be about the baby whipes convo on his last podcast, i want to text em and let him know they make flushable baby whipes where they do not clog your toilet and its like your ass taking a shower every time you whipe...

carry on

haha No joke I actually said "They make flushable wipes too!" out loud when listening to that podcast. Flushable baby wipes make my entire life better.

But wait, wasn't that the podcast that you were on?
9/25/13 5:58 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/13 6:00 PM
9/25/13 6:02 PM
RickStorm
1699 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/13 6:03 PM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin
UGCTT_UncleCreepy - I thought this was gonna be about the baby whipes convo on his last podcast, i want to text em and let him know they make flushable baby whipes where they do not clog your toilet and its like your ass taking a shower every time you whipe...

carry on

lol

9/25/13 6:03 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy

mghan44 - 

carry on

haha No joke I actually said "They make flushable wipes too!" out loud when listening to that podcast. Flushable baby wipes make my entire life better.

But wait, wasn't that the podcast that you were on?

hahah no, i listened to this one the other day.
9/25/13 6:09 PM
mghan44

By the way, nothing like Ian McCall coming on to ruin the chance of anyone replying to my original post.
9/25/13 6:14 PM
Ben Gardners boat
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mghan44 - By the way, nothing like Ian McCall coming on to ruin the chance of anyone replying to my original post.
What was that about baby wipes? Phone Post 3.0
9/25/13 6:16 PM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mghan44 - By the way, nothing like Ian McCall coming on to ruin the chance of anyone replying to my original post.

I responded

9/25/13 6:18 PM
LittleKang
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

carry on
Nice!

........ what was this thread about again? Phone Post
9/25/13 6:19 PM
Joe Rogan
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mghan44 - Im a fan of Joe Rogan and not making this to hate on him but came off as very misinformed when discussing vegetarianism on the podcast with Barnett. I've noticed other times when this has bugged me when he is discussing meat eating vs. vegetarianism too.

First I am going to say that I am a "semi" vegetarian. I rarely eat meat but will eat game meat on occasion and sometimes eat sushi. I don't necessarily have any problem with people eating meat, everyone makes their own decisions and Im not some vegetarian crusader. My reasons are simply that I don't like the idea of a sentient being living its life as nothing more than a commodity.

Joe made two points that seemed uninformed. First he mentioned the increase in carnivores if we didn't eat cows because they would have more prey. Obviously, cows are not natural prey of any carnivores out there. The domestic cattle in the world exist because we breed them in extreme amounts, it's not like these are natural cattle numbers that would sustain predator populations. I don't think people are advocating just letting all the cattle go to roam freely. Also, they talked numerous times about the way nature balances itself. Even if you did you would maybe see a slight increase in predator numbers before a very sharp decrease in prey numbers as the numbers evened out.

Second, Joe discussed the importance of farming and what would happen if all of the people in NYC decided to stop eating meat. Farming isn't just livestock. There is something like 600 million metric tons of agricultural products produced in the US per year, only 35-40 million of which is meat. Then you consider that 30-40% of grains grown in the US (which are BY FAR the largest crops grown in the US) are used to FEED LIVESTOCK. That something like 80 million tons of grain or more. Put simply, with the already converted farmland in the US, you can feed more people with meatless diets than meat diets.

I'm assuming not many people give a shit, but it was really bugging me today listening to Joe and I know he comes on here sometimes so I hope he sees it. Still love the podcast though.

Your hearing is a bit selective.  We were talking about hunting, and I said that if you don't eat meat and if people no longer eat meat we're going to have to figure out what the fuck to do with all the animals that are going to breed and start overpopulating because their numbers are no longer being regulated by hunters.  That most certainly would mean an increase in predator populations.  The same can be said for cows.  If we're going to no long eat cows we're going to have to make sure they don't breed or we're going to have a huge cow overpopulation problem on our hand and the methane polution problem that goes with that, just like India has.

Here's a TIME magazine article on it: http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1890646,00.html

Here's another article on how hunting controls deer overpopulation:  http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/opinion/chatlist/hunting-is-necessary-61228.shtml

As for feeding everyone in cities if they all went vegetarian, you're assuming that if you're going to stop eating meat that the people that have raised cattle are going to suddenly and miraculously no longer have to feed those animals and that grain is going to be free to use for people.  That's the kind of short sighted thinking I was talking about.  Unless you plan on killing every single animal that's being raised and fed grain you're going to have to continue using that grain for the life of the animal.  You're not going to magically have this surplus that you can start feeding people unless you're cool with cows and chickens starving to death.  Also, the grain that we're feeding animals is often not the same stuff we feed people.

9/25/13 6:22 PM
Ben Gardners boat
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/13 6:33 PM
mghan44 - By the way, nothing like Ian McCall coming on to ruin the chance of anyone replying to my original post.

Sorry couldn't resist. Creepy has been worrying about redbans butt wipe situation all this time. He needed somewhere to vent!

Anyway regarding JR come on man how many of his podcasts have you listened to? It's just his opinion and he admits he's often wrong!
I mean they were going on about a shark that kills more people than and is much bigger than white sharks called an "oceanic shark" which was a load of bollocks a while back (they meant the oceanic white tip).

Christ it's always sharks and crocs with me. My fiancée was right!

Edit..  As the end of my first attempt made no sense.

9/25/13 6:23 PM
LittleKang
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan -
mghan44 - Im a fan of Joe Rogan and not making this to hate on him but came off as very misinformed when discussing vegetarianism on the podcast with Barnett. I've noticed other times when this has bugged me when he is discussing meat eating vs. vegetarianism too.

Your hearing is a bit selective.  We were talking about hunting, and I said that if you don't eat meat and if people no longer eat meat we're going to have to figure out what the fuck to do with all the animals that are going to breed and start overpopulating because their numbers are no longer being regulated by hunters.  That most certainly would mean an increase in predator populations.  The same can be said for cows.  If we're going to no long eat cows we're going to have to make sure they don't breed or we're going to have a huge cow overpopulation problem on our hand and the methane polution problem that goes with that, just like India has.

Here's a TIME magazine article on it: http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1890646,00.html

Here's another article on how hunting controls deer overpopulation:  http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/opinion/chatlist/hunting-is-necessary-61228.shtml

As for feeding everyone in cities if they all went vegetarian, you're assuming that if you're going to stop eating meat that the people that have raised cattle are going to suddenly and miraculously no longer have to feed those animals and that grain is going to be free to use for people.  That's the kind of short sighted thinking I was talking about.  Unless you plan on killing every single animal that's being raised and fed grain you're going to have to continue using that grain for the life of the animal.  You're not going to magically have this surplus that you can start feeding people unless you're cool with cows and chickens starving to death.  Also, the grain that we're feeding animals is often not the same stuff we feed people.

And didnt you in a recent podcast, ian's maybe, talk about also in the process of hunting that you have to hunt predators too so that their population is in check too Phone Post
9/25/13 6:27 PM
Tweener
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

carry on

I keep a pack of my kids' flushable wipes in my bathroom.
9/25/13 6:38 PM
Osbot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mghan44 - By the way, nothing like Ian McCall coming on to ruin the chance of anyone replying to my original post.

Joe may be misinformed, but so is your post.

If you suggest we let the cattle just run free, guess what is going to happen to that cattle. Most of it is going to die horribly. It will starve to death or die of thirst. The most humane way to deal with the situation then is to "humanely" kill ALL cattle. Hundreds of millions of cows would need to be killed.

You need to remember cows are domesticated. Maybe you don't fully understand what this means, but unless the resources in an area are basically inexhaustible, the cows will not migrate distance to find new resources. They will consume an area and then stand around until they starve or run out of water.

This is almost a 100% certain situation, because prime agricultural land that could possibly sustain large herds of cattle would not be used for "wild" cattle. We are not as a society going to suddenly stop using cattle for food but keep them around and pour massive resources into them. This means that cattle would be dumped off in forests and other non-prime range areas where it would just die. Like I said, it will eat, shit and fuck until it runs out of resources, then it will stand around and die.

Next, you suggest that society can subsist primarily on grain. You are aware that in recorded history during non-famine periods the highest ever rate of malnourishment occurred in societies that primarily subsisted on grain. Take for example Ancient Egypt. The tooth enamel of Ancient Egyptians show far higher levels of malnourishment than the enamel of nomadic peoples that subsisted on a combination of foods including meat and milk. Those nomads also lived longer, healthier lives.

But you say we can get our protein from something else. Sure. However let's look at the reality of that for a second. First, protein from vegetable material is a very inefficient form of protein. Absolutely MASSIVE areas for agriculture would need to be used to produce a much lower yield crop. Grain is very high yield, rice is even higher yield. Beans, not so much.

Let's look at one of the more popular forms of vegan protein, soy beans. You are aware that soy bean farming in Brazil is one of the leading contributors to the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest right? Brazil is the second largest producer of soy beans in the world, and it may possibly be the largest exporter of soy beans in the world.

So to supply all the protein we need to supplement into our diets, deforestation of the Amazon basin will accelerate, more wild and unique species will go extinct by the day, and we will accelerate a growing ecological disaster that is slowly growing in South America.

Clearly the solution is simple, it isn't complex at all. Free the cows, then kill them all, and fuck Brazil, Chael P was right!

9/25/13 6:49 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy

I'm sorry pal I didn't see the standard FRAT so i just responded to the thread title, but Joe seems to have answered..

i honestly thought this was about the baby whipes thing...
9/25/13 6:50 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy

RickStorm - 

carry on

lol

;)
9/25/13 6:53 PM
PrettyBoy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Joes defense... We was high. You try to think about the implications of everyone becoming a vegetarian after a few bong rips. Phone Post 3.0
9/25/13 6:53 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy

Tweener - 

carry on

I keep a pack of my kids' flushable wipes in my bathroom.

that's cause you are very highly intelligent.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.