UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Buddy Rich vs Jerry Lewis drum battle - WHOA!!!

9/25/13 7:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sgotwalks
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/13 7:53 PM

This is amazing. Old school Buddy Rich looks like the GOAT drummer to me! Strangely, I had no idea who he was until watching the last few minutes of 'Off The Record' on TSN, a sports talk show in Canada, and the host asks one of the guests (a drummer) who his top five favorite drummers of all time were. "Without a doubt, Buddy Rich is number one," he responded. 

I am no drummer, and not a drum affionado, but this got me curious enough to youtube the name Buddy Rich, which I have heard before but not actually known who he was. Well, Fuuuuuuck me. This dude can drum! Skip ahead to about the 2 minute mark to get past a lot of the shenanigans, and once he gets up past about the 3:00 mark and beyond, Buddy Rich is on his way to all out HOLY FUCKEDNESS!!!

9/25/13 8:23 PM
sgotwalks
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ima gonna bump this bitch until somebody comments on what I watched from the 3:30 mark of this video on. Has there ever been another drummer who could hold a candle to this cat? Don't fucking come to the table with that Neil Pert shit either...............what ya got for me that compares with what I just watched here?

9/25/13 8:27 PM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goddamn! Talented motherfucker.

9/25/13 8:46 PM
oblongo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a drum battle between Buddy and Ed Shaughnessy, the long-time drummer for the Tonight Show Band.

buddy could sometimes be disdainful of other drummers, but he always spoke highly of Eddie. This shows why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuKOcVon3Hk
9/25/13 8:50 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 09/25/13 8:52 PM

Posting for oblongo. That was groovy man!

9/25/13 9:00 PM
sgotwalks

Damn, after about one minute.......how is it possible?

Also, everything just looks better in black and white doesn't it?

9/25/13 9:05 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In other news, Nefertiti has died.
9/25/13 9:09 PM
sgotwalks

Buddy Rich vs Animal from The Muppets!

9/25/13 9:14 PM
UGCTT_AsimpleFan
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could someone make these links iPhone friendly. Thanks. Phone Post 3.0
9/25/13 9:23 PM
UGCTT_AsimpleFan
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never mind I used google. Sorry for the attempted laziness. Phone Post 3.0
9/25/13 10:02 PM
Harlem Savoy
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My grandfather always mentioned Buddy Rich was who Jerry Lewis wanted in the band. Reed Vaughan played in his band already.

Lewis was actually a decent musician. Phone Post 3.0
9/25/13 10:12 PM
dennis5
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
9/25/13 10:13 PM
angryinch

great drummer but by all acounts, also a complete asshole.  

9/25/13 10:14 PM
Harlem Savoy
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

angryinch -

Yep. He was ruthless about people playing subpar. Would actually call people out or even yell during live sets to get in the pocket. Phone Post 3.0
9/25/13 10:18 PM
martinburke
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rich was amazing. Gene Krupa was a little before him. Not quite as

flashy as Rich, but not too shabby himself.

9/25/13 10:30 PM
sreiter

Edited: 09/25/13 10:36 PM

lulz - btw ..clams = mistakes
9/25/13 10:36 PM
billyball2
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harlem Savoy - 
angryinch -

Yep. He was ruthless about people playing subpar. Would actually call people out or even yell during live sets to get in the pocket. Phone Post 3.0

I think it had more to do with him being huge egotistical douchebag than other people being subpar.

He had a Napoleon complex and was arguably the best drummer of all time so people tolerated his shit.
9/25/13 10:44 PM
oblongo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's Rich, Krupa, Lionel Hampton, Mel Lewis and Mel Torme in a battle of the drums. Yes, Mel Torme. In addition to being a singer, songwriter, arranger, piano player, guitarist, actor, bestselling author of fiction and nonfiction and fast draw expert, Torme was also a hell of a drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8n4RBozbc
9/25/13 11:08 PM
heliosp

Edited: 09/25/13 11:10 PM
This is a drum solo from a 90's psychedelic band from finland , it starts a little slow but builds up to some impressive stuff. I always found it fun to watch so thought i'd share http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIQj6EVTT94
9/25/13 11:41 PM
BarkLikeADog

I don't fault next level artists for being assholes. It's gotta be a special kind of torment to be so far ahead of everybody that you can't even imagine why they're so far behind.
9/26/13 6:27 AM
angryinch

billyball2 - 
Harlem Savoy - 
angryinch -

I think it had more to do with him being huge egotistical douchebag than other people being subpar.

He had a Napoleon complex and was arguably the best drummer of all time so people tolerated his shit.

This.  He was simply an epic douchebag.

9/26/13 6:40 AM
Triangle Smoke

Buddy rich and Gene Krupa are two drummers that musicians should study. Instead they get hooked on metal early thinking they are the most talented because they play as fast and sloppy as possible, then learn off metal drummers.

You can't teach the level of feel that Gene and Rich had, you just can't. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 7:36 AM
Cookie Monster
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow!!! Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 11:06 AM
billyball2
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Triangle Smoke - Buddy rich and Gene Krupa are two drummers that musicians should study. Instead they get hooked on metal early thinking they are the most talented because they play as fast and sloppy as possible, then learn off metal drummers.

You can't teach the level of feel that Gene and Rich had, you just can't. Phone Post 3.0

Gene Krupa was a monster as well...
9/26/13 12:46 PM
Harlem Savoy

Yes. Rich was on another level of playing. He was so good, that it fed his ego and he destroyed people. That's the bummer. Greatness can either make you desire to push people to get better in a positive way or make you super critical and intolerant of the lesser.

The point is clearly mastering your craft at any tempo and learning from all styles. Technique is great but it doesn't do you any good if you can't feel the pocket.

Big Band, swing and jazz are incredible foundations for being a good drummer. Being great is not something you can attain by learning. You either have it or you don't.

Most of the early musicians came from the school of being a multiple threat. You had to be able to get in somewhere to make a buck. So you can find that a lot of them sang, played multiple instruments and could write orchestral scores. My dad learned that the hard way. He's a great drummer and has played with the greats but he refused to learn to read music and missed out on the chance to take over my Grandpa's band and play at the Blue Room in New Orleans. He could be doing studio stuff now if he had just taken the time to learn. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.