UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> TX Residents Concerned As Spiders Float In Skies

9/26/13 10:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sagiv Lapkin
2087 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/26/13 10:49 AM
NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Thousands of North Texans are asking, “What are those long, silky strings floating in the air?”  Turns out they’re the webs of spiders in their annual migration to better hunting grounds, and surprising a lot of people.

“I thought it was weird; I’d never seen it before,” said Myrna Olivas, who first noticed it driving in her car; then later as she dropped her son off at school.  “It just landed on my head and it left again,” she said adding, “It’s just a big stripe of spider web.  I couldn’t recognize it until I got it closer to me.”

The natural phenomenon was first noticed early Wednesday morning.

They’re called “ballooning” or “floating” webs made by young, migrating spiders.  “There’s some that produce a ball like a balloon, and there’s some they call tent spiders because they create almost like a triangle,” according to Texas A&M Agrilife horticulturist Patrick Dickinson.

They were strung across North Texas in trees or on lamp posts, even on a surveillance camera atop Dallas City Hall.  Car dealers washed them off their prize offerings.

Not everyone thought them merely a weird nuisance, according to Dickinson.  “Some people did not know what it was and were scared to go outside of their homes.  Other people thought when they saw them in the trees like you’re seeing here that there was something wrong with their trees.”
9/26/13 10:50 AM
Sagiv Lapkin
2087 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

Social media lit up. “What’s up with all these spider webs?” demanded one posting.  “Why are there spider webs everywhere?” asked another.  “What’s going on with floating spider webs?” queried a third.  Turns out, it is just nature doing her thing, according to Dickinson.  “It’s instinctive, and when we get into cooler nights like we’ve been experiencing, that triggers the eggs of the sacks for the spiders to hatch.”

9/26/13 10:50 AM
Soup Nazi
1366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/26/13 10:51 AM
KidPittsburgh
1161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/26/13 11:50 AM
SonOfThePeepHole
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FUCK

ALL

THAT

SHIT Phone Post
9/26/13 11:52 AM
GnP Sonnen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuke them Phone Post
9/26/13 11:53 AM
elbigsam
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, commonplace i thought, grew up in central KS, maybe thats it. Phone Post
9/26/13 11:53 AM
In Limbo
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i liv ein jersey,......has anyone else noticed a considerable increase in the amount fo spiders inside and outside your home?

it's insance how many more spiders i see on my property than last year...literally crawling out of everywhere

9/26/13 11:58 AM
CYBERDYNE
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There were webs all over everything yesterday. The spiders were tiny though. Phone Post
9/26/13 12:20 PM
einhornisfinkle
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Limbo -

i liv ein jersey,......has anyone else noticed a considerable increase in the amount fo spiders inside and outside your home?

it's insance how many more spiders i see on my property than last year...literally crawling out of everywhere

I'm from CT and just went back home a few weekends ago. Never seen so many spiders at my parents house before. Big, scary fucking spiders. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 12:25 PM
MMA Playwright
743 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/26/13 12:32 PM
Festus
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Playwright -

Wtf was that jumpy little dude thinking? Suicide? Phone Post
9/26/13 12:45 PM
Mikusoraiden
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Festus -
MMA Playwright -

Wtf was that jumpy little dude thinking? Suicide? Phone Post
Ants are hardcore. What the gif didn't show is that there were probably 1000 ants behind that one. RIP spider. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.