UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: I'm a man of my word, Hendricks...

9/26/13 11:26 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Prior to their fight in March UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was accused by Nick Diaz - with no basis what so ever - of using performance enhancing drugs (PEDs). In response, GSP offered to undergo regular independent drug testing for the 12 week camp for his next fight, and invited opponent Johny Hendricks to do the same.

"Heck ya," said Hendricks in an interview with UFC Central Radio on Sportsnet 590 The Fan back in July. "The worst thing that they're going to find is a little bit of protein in my diet. If eating wild hogs and organic deer meat and a little bit of glutamine is bad for the ol' system, then I might fail."

The devil is always in the details however, and when it came time to test, the GSP camp insisted it be conducted through the Las Vegas-based Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), a company which prominently features St-Pierre on the front page of its website. To Hendricks, that's cause to question VADA's impartiality.

A back and forth between the camps ensued, and when it ended, GSP is paying for his own random testing, and Hendricks is chowing down on wild hogs and organic deer meat.

GSP appeared recently on the 200th episode of The MMA Hour, and discussed the dispute. He began by adressed Hendricks' fear that St-Pierre is somehow aligned with VADA.

"No, that’s not true," said St-Pierre. "This is ridiculous. I heard what Johny Hendricks said, and he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He was talking about WADA, he said he wanted to do WADA. W-A-D-A."

"First, let me educate you on the subject. WADA, it’s an organization that makes the guidelines. They make the guidelines for the testing association. VADA follows the guidelines of WADA. So when he said he wanted to be tested by WADA, there is no such thing. It’s an organization that makes the guidelines."

"A lot of people accusing me of taking steroids. In the past I always feel like it’s because people felt like I had good athleticism, so I took it as a compliment. But as time goes by I wanted to make a point. I wanted to prove to the world that you can be the world champion without using steroids. I’ve never used steroids in my life, and I wanted to make a point for myself.

"First reason is I wanted to do something good for the honest people in the sport that are fighting. And I wanted to do something good for the sport. As a champion I want to be a good role model, and as an athletic, outside the octagon my role is to elevate the sport to another level. I want to elevate the sport to a more mainstream level, and I think it’s the next step. I wanted to raise the bar and do something for the sport. I said I was going to do it. Hendicks said he was going to do it in the past, but he changed his mind. But me, I’m still doing it because I’m a man of my word."

"I don’t want to accuse Johny Hendricks, you can ask Johny himself the reason why he doesn’t want to do it. I’m not going to answer for him. The only thing I can is this -- people who want to be champion, people who want to make money, what makes you money as an athlete? It’s your brand, and how you succeed in your sport. Even if you’re brand is not good, you have a bad reputation you’re not going to make money and that sponsor is not going to want to sponsor you.

"When you say something you have to be a man of your word and do it. When I tell Hendricks I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it. That’s why I’ve made money in this sport because I have a good brand and I’m a man of my word. When I say something, I’m going to do it. It’s part of my person, to be authentic and who I am and be what I stand for."

Read entire article...

9/26/13 11:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MrHughes1991
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait... What? Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 11:35 AM
Raezor19
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please try reading that NOT in GSP's riddum voice....

9/26/13 11:44 AM
DrunkenKangarooZ

Lol at GSP continuing throwing Hendricks under the bus lmao Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 11:44 AM
Raezor19

It's like that old saying.....A big rig that won't accept a free smog test from a car that has never failed one.......well you know.....

9/26/13 11:50 AM
Ch1ef
579 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raezor19 - 

Riddum voice ftw.
9/26/13 11:52 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Much respect to Georges. If I was in his position I would be calling Johny out as a cheater at this point.

9/26/13 12:00 PM
Mike Rotch
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raezor19 - 

Tried.  Couldn't.

9/26/13 12:02 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG still don't care -> Phone Post
9/26/13 12:33 PM
Leck Brosnar

Heck ya, oh wait no
9/26/13 12:37 PM
Shoryuken Rw

You couldn't ask for a better role model for the sport than GSP. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 12:45 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoryuken Rw - You couldn't ask for a better role model for the sport than GSP. Phone Post 3.0

9/26/13 12:50 PM
Dead President
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoryuken Rw - You couldn't ask for a better role model for the sport than GSP. Phone Post 3.0
This. GSP is the man. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 1:37 PM
Glovegate

Lol, why is this story still being covered as if there's still any reason for faux impartiality.  GSP's camp let the NSAC and Hendricks' camp know they're willing to do any test like a month ago and still articles continue to come out saying GSP is insisting upon VADA.

No he's not.  Read the "GSP threw me under the bus on 'shady' VADA" thread.  Even the non-journalists on this forum know what's going on here.  Why doesn't the media?

9/26/13 1:38 PM
Diazed And Confused
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate -

Lol, why is this story still being covered as if there's still any reason for faux impartiality.  GSP's camp let the NSAC and Hendricks' camp know they're willing to do any test like a month ago and still articles continue to come out saying GSP is insisting upon VADA.

No he's not.  Read the "GSP threw me under the bus on 'shady' VADA" thread.  Even the non-journalists on this forum know what's going on here.  Why doesn't the media?

Doesn't generate traffic. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 1:45 PM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I already explained this to death with the last thread, but to nip any retardation and hatorade in the bud, here are some FACTS, that weren't mentioned by the UG blog and are often overlooked

(all of which can be found on SBNation/BE which has the full email transcripts between Kizer, Hendricks' manager and GSP's lawyer)
Oh and FRAT in advance.

- WADA is a certificate, not a testing agency

- NSAC does no HGH or blood testing, so GSP asked to use WADA-certified VADA labs, which test for both of these and include randomness for a better protocol than the NSAC

- NSAC also has special WADA-certified labs you can opt for, but GSP chose the better WADA-certified VADA lab over the WADA-certified NSAC lab which caused Kizer to become embarassed and stab GSP in the back
(last part is obvs my opinion, not fact)

- VADA has busted people who've been featured on their front page multiple times -- both when they were sponsored and when they weren't sponsored... In fact they feature most ppl involved on their front page (incluing BJ, Rory and Big Country)

- When VADA has busted ppl, it DOES MATTER. They've lost their belts, their pay and they were suspended!

- Hendricks claimed GSP demanded to know when they would test, eliminating the randomness -- this was proven an outright lie by the released email transcripts

- Kizer claimed GSP's lawyer was being shady, asked too many questions, then refused to agree to either VADA or WADA-certified NSAC protocol...
The email transcripts also proved this was complete bullshit...
GSP asked a few questions, then when pressed by Kizer to make a decision, he agreed to do both WADA-certified VADA testing AND WADA-certified NSAC testing

- Hendricks opted out saying he'd only do something that was WADA certified not VADA, not realizing how stupid this is, then later said -- fine, he'd agree to additional testing, but not if its WADA-certified VADA, but only WADA-certified USADA
(another testing agency following the same damn protocols, and subject to the same oversight as VADA)

- Hendricks also went from claiming it was BS GSP was being sponsored, to saying it's BS GSP is paying for it... Here's a quote from the email exchange:

"Hello,

After discussing with Georges and his medical advisors, we do have a few more questions (see below).

I also want to clarify one point, VADA is NOT sponsoring the tests as Firas previously stated on the call. It was a misunderstanding. It would cost 7,500$ per fighter under VADA and VADA will absorb 5,000$ for a total cost of $20k which is in line with your estimation of the costs with the SMRTL lab."

... So basically every single point Kizer and Hendricks have brought up during their GH accusations on GSP were bullshit and smoke-screen misdirection...

GSP didn't demand to know random testing dates, his questions were actually quite limited, see email exchange, he agreed to foot the entire bill, and after Hendricks bitched out, he agreed to pay for the entire thing himself -- while doing DOUBLE the tests!
And as mentioned -- Yes, VADA has a history of busting their front-page fighters and if anything, busting GSP would burn the NSAC hard, make themselves look better. As of now, there is no historical evidence, or really anything in their practices to suggest malfeasance on the part of VADA.

I hope Kizer and Hendricks are happy how fucking dumb this made them both look, and I can't wait until I see Hendricks going to war so I can forget how stupid and disingenuous he came across during these pre-fight negotiations :/
9/26/13 1:46 PM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I probably should've replaced the word lab with protocol a few times in the above breakdown... My B :S
9/26/13 1:59 PM
MattyECB

That's hillarious, just watched the full interview.

After all this, Kizer never even sent GSP the NSAC documents to do the double test -- which I can tell you he requested in the email chain multiple times!

Guess GSP only had to do VADA after all since the AC is so damn incompetent.

I'm also happy Ariel brought up that Hendricks comment, that he's not doing testing because he thinks GSP will get busted by VADA then he won't get to fight for the belt lol GSP says he's doing the testing either way, so that's a weak assed excuse.

And wtf Dana? He says GSP is dumb to do this instead of the AC testing. GSP called it right, I'm trying to do both! I don't know why the AC won't send me the documentation lol BLAF is just pissed since more testing can only mean more money and failed fights

GSP comes off really good in this interview.
9/26/13 2:02 PM
Il Duce
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Solid post MattyECB. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 2:11 PM
Secureg
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks and kizer should go bang their heads gassing a wall for alittle and see if it can knock some sense into them Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 2:12 PM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Il Duce - Solid post MattyECB. Phone Post 3.0

Agreed. Thanks for the breakdown. I haven't been following that closely.
9/26/13 2:12 PM
PUBLICnoose

Its a mind game id say fuck your testing gsp of i was big rigg also Phone Post
9/26/13 4:10 PM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for legendary facts Matty. Vtfu. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 7:01 PM
gooddoc

Nobody is buying your bullshit any more GSP, except those guys swinging from your nuts. Phone Post 3.0
9/26/13 7:07 PM
Raezor19

Well that was certainly well thought out, informative, and a real contribution to the thread...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.