UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coach details Greg Jackson removal from corner

9/26/13 10:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Saturday night, Greg Jackson saw his fighter Jon Jones lose the first round vs. Alexander Gustafsson, and before the start of the second, Jackson was removed from the corner by the Ontario Athletic Commission.

Commission rep: "What's your name, man?"

Jackson: "Jackson."

Commission rep: "Jackson? You're not on the list, you can't be in the corner."

Ontario AC rules stipulate that only three people max are allowed to work a corner, and although Jackson believed he had an arrangement where four was acceptable, the head coach had to go.

Gym co-owner Mike Winklejohn was recently interviewed by CagoPotato's Elias Cepeda, and discussed what happened and why.

“Normally for title fights a fighter gets four cornermen except for in Ontario where they have always just allowed three for some reason,” said Winkeljohn. ”Heading into the fight, though, we were told that we had gotten permission to have four corners for Jon. We were all allowed to walk out and get in the corner with him and stayed there during the first round, but heading into the second round I could hear a commission inspector talking to Greg.

“I was trying to focus on the fight, on Jon, because it was a stand-up fight and I’m constantly speaking to him in code so it’s important not to have that communication disrupted. After the round, I find out that Greg was told to leave. We had permission from someone back there, but a different person — the inspector — for some reason didn’t let us. He was just doing his job as he thought he should, and you can’t blame him.

“Luckily, it didn’t affect the fight too much, but it could have. What Greg and I usually do anyway is, if it’s a stand up fight, I go in the cage in between rounds and if it’s a grappling one he goes in. So, Jon didn’t even notice in between rounds because he expected to see me in there with him, because the fight was happening on the feet for the most part. When Greg goes in the cage he has a calming effect on fighters so he does that and then I give some tactical advice. It could have ended up a lot worse. Greg was able to send over his thoughts and coaching to the other coaches from where he was sitting. It could have been worse but we don’t want it to happen again.”

Read entire article...

9/26/13 10:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaosOverkill
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ontario gonna Ontario

9/26/13 10:42 PM
Seats Taken
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not Cornergate. Rules are rules are rules. Just because it's Greg Jackson doesn't mean he should get special privelages. 

9/26/13 10:43 PM
ChaosOverkill
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/26/13 10:44 PM
Seats Taken - 

It's not Cornergate. Rules are rules are rules. Just because it's Greg Jackson doesn't mean he should get special privelages. 

He says he thought he arranged for the exception ahead of time, someone didn't get the memo because he would have known about this from GSP fighting in Toronto before and Jon twice before.

I think he would have noticed only three of them there 3 times before

9/26/13 10:46 PM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The article doesn't insinuate that Jackson was complaining or that they wanted anything "special". They asked, they were granted, there was a miscommunication, he left, no one is upset. Just a story. No need to read into it.

9/26/13 10:49 PM
Seats Taken
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 
Seats Taken - 

He says he thought he arranged for the exception ahead of time, someone didn't get the memo because he would have known about this from GSP fighting in Toronto before and Jon twice before.

When dealing with an AC, and there is a list... If you are in a world title fight, be on the list. Don't go by what someone in the back says. If someone says it's ok, then they should add his name to the list of the person in charge of watching that. 

9/26/13 10:53 PM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 09/26/13 10:55 PM
Seats Taken - 
ChaosOverkill - 
Seats Taken - 

When dealing with an AC, and there is a list... If you are in a world title fight, be on the list. Don't go by what someone in the back says. If someone says it's ok, then they should add his name to the list of the person in charge of watching that. 

”Heading into the fight, though, we were told that we had gotten permission to have four corners for Jon. We were all allowed to walk out and get in the corner with him and stayed there during the first round, but heading into the second round I could hear a commission inspector talking to Greg.

I can't make you read man, so have fun. He's worked in Ontario multiple times, but you know better K.

9/26/13 10:58 PM
bignightmare
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No the article does not insinuate he is upset.

It clearly shows that he thinks he is above the rules by the request in the first place.

I have not heard that Alliance asked for special treatment.

Why should Jon Jones get an advantage???
9/26/13 11:10 PM
Authority Figure

bignightmare - No the article does not insinuate he is upset.

It clearly shows that he thinks he is above the rules by the request in the first place.

I have not heard that Alliance asked for special treatment.

Why should Jon Jones get an advantage???

1. What advantage does it present?
  2. Who says Jon wanted it?
  3. Who knows what his opponent asked for?
  4. If it's the only AC that doesn't allow 4, then habit wouldn't it reasonable to ask for the "norm" without appearing above the rules?

p.s. I'm not a Jon Jones fan. I just don't like the mob mentality to make something of everything. I'd rather look down upon actual bad behavior.

9/26/13 11:13 PM
ChaosOverkill

Jones fights in Ontario = 3.

I'm assuming Greg knew the rules and him asking ahead of time for four was legit and it was just a bureacratic snafu.

But Greg wanting special treatment and assuming he could waltz in there without telling anyone and was angry like Prince not getting an Ostrich when he asks for one is much more juicy for the TMZmma addicts

9/27/13 12:02 AM
bignightmare
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If having a 4th corner named Greg Jackson aint an advantage then why ask for one. If you hear their strategy I would say it is an advantage.

What I dont understand is why Greg wasnt in the first 2 corners listed.
9/27/13 12:04 AM
bignightmare

btw yes most states allow 4 but even in California I have had promotions where it was 2. You know what is allowed before the fight because you all and are logged.
9/27/13 12:05 AM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 09/27/13 12:06 AM
bignightmare - If having a 4th corner named Greg Jackson aint an advantage then why ask for one. If you hear their strategy I would say it is an advantage.

What I dont understand is why Greg wasnt in the first 2 corners listed.

What's the 4th guy gonna do the other three can't, what's the advantage? 4 is the normal number in most of MMA, it's just customary and probably some kind of extra cut of pay. He probably put the 2 lesser guys and Winklejohn and assumed after he got a YES to be added it was fine.

I don't get where the advantage of guys who are just placing stools and holding water/ice are gonna give a guy when they are watched like a hawk since greasegate

9/27/13 12:42 AM
bignightmare

Smart corners are an advantage. Greg is the smartest corner in the game. He influences judging through his coaching, he knows his fighters in and out and he does his homework. Having him around IS an advantage and IS smart.

Greg expecting non-equal treatment is par for the course. He is doing his job bny trying to give his guy an advantage. He has probably got the special treatment a million times and in the biggest fight of his UFC CHAMPION's career he made a club level mistake andgot called on it.

My guess someone on the commission felt like showing his dick was bigger and did.
9/27/13 9:02 AM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

Authority Figure -

The article doesn't insinuate that Jackson was complaining or that they wanted anything "special". They asked, they were granted, there was a miscommunication, he left, no one is upset. Just a story. No need to read into it.

Fuck that!!!!! The UFC was conspiring to fuck with Jones!!!!! The UFC did it!!! They are crooked and corrupt!!!!!

- BellatorFan Phone Post
9/27/13 12:04 PM
Ninja Tea Party

I genuinely don't understand why they even asked if they can have 4. If the rules are 3 cornermen then why even make the request? If the request is granted, why not just let everyone have 4 cornermen? I don't hold it against Jones' team, and I didn't get the impression from the article that they were "moaning" about it, I'm just confused as to how the situation even came about. Is it optional or something?
9/27/13 2:24 PM
ajl416az

Authority Figure - 

....so he asked for something special that is not in the rules, that nobody else got, but he doesn't want anything special

interesting
9/27/13 6:47 PM
bignightmare

ajl416az - 
Authority Figure - 

....so he asked for something special that is not in the rules, that nobody else got, but he doesn't want anything special

interesting

I will also note that none of us would be discussing it had they not brought it up in repeated interviews after the fight. Sure they didnt blame the issue for Jones losing............oh wait he didnt lose technically. I guess its up for opinion whether this excuse would have been on the list had the judges swung the other way.
9/27/13 6:47 PM
bignightmare

ajl416az - 
Authority Figure - 

interesting

I will also note that none of us would be discussing it had they not brought it up in repeated interviews after the fight. Sure they didnt blame the issue for Jones losing............oh wait he didnt lose technically. I guess its up for opinion whether this excuse would have been on the list had the judges swung the other way.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.