Double
9/28/13 2:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wicked smahtMF - 
mrwhipple - 
duckhuntgangsta - 
Wicked smahtMF - i think the criticism is mainly that he wasnt a "world class fighter in terms of proven competition. relative to the highest levels out there to be compared to... particularly these days. and again... in competition.

the highest levels of competition that Bruce Lee reached where in the field of acting, no? can that really be argued? idk. maybe im missing something
What is there to criticize? He never claimed he was the greatest fighter or actor. He was a martial arts actor who was a philosopher and innovator. He inspired people and provoked imagination. I don't understand the hate. Phone Post 3.0

There's plenty to criticize, just it's some of his more zealot fans and not Bruce that deserve the criticism. And I'm a big Bruce Lee fan. Grew up watching all his movies, got into Karate because of him, and love JKD even though I barely got to study it since it wasn't really available were I lived. But some of fans seem to have started a cult of Bruce Lee were he's the Jesus Christ of martial arts. Lee can't just be a very good martial artists (by all accounts he has to have been) he has to the best who ever lived and ever will live. Never mind that we have very little evidence of his actually fighting abilities. We can infer that he was pretty good based on the opinions of other expert martial artists that knew him, but I don't know how anyone can deduct that he could beat any modern fighter and was the GOAT from that. Yet some people can.

The same with him starting MMA. Bruce was a great proponents of martial arts, cross training in disciplines and propagated JKD, so he deserves a shit ton of credit. But he didn't invent MMA, that came out of Vale tudo and japanese pro wrestling, two things that Bruce had nothing to do with. he didn't invent the concept of hybrid martial arts, that had been around for years. People have written numerous articles on how people were combining boxing,wrestling, savate, and judo in the early 1900s.

Again, I really like Bruce Lee, but he has an impressive enough resume without people having to turn him into a super hero.

this. exactly this and only this

I don't think anyone has an issue with this who is realistic provided it's given that the data in the 1st post here is also understood. Plus understanding the millions he inspired to train in the MA's as well as him teaching us to find the system(s) that works best for us as it applies to real world fighting.
9/29/13 7:12 AM
Lazer MMA

TTT
9/29/13 8:50 AM
Shanle929

Good thread. VU I'll stick with what the pros and my jiujitsu instructor says. He's the instructor at Guru Dan's school. Bruce Lee=BAMF Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 9:12 AM
Lazer MMA

Ty sir
9/29/13 9:47 AM
gogoyoface703

100's of challenge fights, around cameras constantly.......never seen him fight once.

A decent HS wrestler with a Bluebelt would taker Bruce out
9/29/13 10:12 AM
onepunchcombo
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - articles, & videos. Really I feel silly needing to defend a guy who was a top fight martial artist as soooo many who are great fighters have said. But the hater morans here must be getting paid for their lies. So here is some truth:

Washington Star 8/16/70

"Three of bruce Lee's pupils, Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris and Mike Stone have between them won every major karate tournament in the United States at least once. Lewis was Grand National Champion three successive years. Lee handles and instructs these guys almost as a parent would a young child. Which can be be somewhat disconcerting to watch.
It's like walking into a saloon in the old west and seeing the fastest guy in the territory standing there with notches all over his gun, then in walks a pleasant little fellow who says 'how many times do I have to tell you, you're doing it all wrong', and the other guy listens intently."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsN0g3p9_-U

On this I'll say that these three were not paying students of Lee's. These guys basically just trained together. What is most interesting here is the journalists impressions on what he witnessed. To suggest that these fighters would train with and listen as such to a NON top flight MA is asinine without exception.

Chuck on training with Bruce and a potential fight:

Chuck, "He was good". Journalist: "So you could have beaten him? " Chuck, "I don't even know"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcl81ldNODc

Mike Stone on Bruce Lee:

Mike Stone Street Fight Series on Bruce Lee vs. Rocky Marciano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj6sKrilPs8
He picks Bruce to win.

Joe Louis on Bruce:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R5CoqaIhhs (@2:22)

AS on Bruce:
Journalist: Would you have liked to have fought Bruce Lee?
Anderson Silva: "No. I would like to have known him and to have had lessons with him. But to risk a fight with Bruce Lee? No" http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/anderson-silva-talks-god-training-bruce-lee-and-life-after-fighting-17132

Gene LeBell talks about Bruce Lee:
First 10 seconds "Bruce was a world class martial artist"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoCtd_cblQ

Rickson on Bruce:
Gracie family talks about Bruce Lee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2m3U25Qj7U

In addition Cain, Randy, Bonnar and many other fighters have spoken to Bruce's clear talent and to the fact he was a top flight MA.
Voted up Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 10:26 AM
Lazer MMA

TY Sir (one punch)

To gogo. Just go go. Tell us what world class fighters agree as dozens think that ignorant as F.

"I guess the fact Bruce trained with champions who acknowledge his ability as a MA did so for no reason. I guess the author of the article on the 1st post is delusional as well.

Also the millions who were drawn to the MA's because of Bruce and continue to be inspired by the man had (have) no gauge of talent at all too! After all there were no other MA pictures made in China before Bruce and since Bruce the few that were made did every bit as good as Bruce's movies in Asia. It's not like fighting was important in their cultures!"

Derp
9/29/13 7:08 PM
Lazer MMA

TTT
9/29/13 10:02 PM
gogoyoface703

Talk is cheap. I need to see it to believe it....and Ive never seen Bruce fight.
Have you ever looked at his kicking technique in regards to head kicks??? Just terrible.

9/30/13 10:20 AM
Lazer MMA

gogoyoface703 - Talk is cheap. I need to see it to believe it....and Ive never seen Bruce fight.
Have you ever looked at his kicking technique in regards to head kicks??? Just terrible.

Bruce did not believe in kicks above the midsection at all. In fact it was Chuck who convinced him not to completely rule out head kicks. If his technique was not sharp there it can't be that much of a surprise.

Are you a champion? If multiple champions say the same thing it carries no weight with you (as well as an independent journalist in the 1st post)?

No one is saying he was a great fighter in this thread but just a great MA. Here is Joe Lewis on this topic:

" Joe Lewis - Bruce told me he did not care about competing. He had no interest in it, and he said he felt there was nothing to gain by him doing so. Little guys, in my opinion, have always been the best trainers. This is because tactically very early in their careers they figure out how to conquer larger opponents. Mike Stone, who I respect, convinced me to study with Bruce. Martial arts does not have a long history as does boxing. Bruce Lee was a wealth of knowledge. No one knew what he had. Bruce Lee was proud to be the instructor of three world champions, Norris, Stone, and myself. With private lessons, he could customize each lesson to fit and compliment the attributes of the individual. I teach this way also." http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/joelewis.html
10/7/13 7:54 AM
Lazer MMA

TTT
10/7/13 8:31 AM
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I grew up in the ghetto BK NYC watching Bruce Lee as Kato in 60 and 70's,I'm 56.I knew he was special the way he moved and his tv persona was undeniable.I'm no actor,I'm a martial artist 30 years.I should've wrestled in High School my HS was number 1 in NYS 10 years straight,BRENTHOOD in the 70's.I'm a basketball player 1st 51 years lol,martial artist 2nd,playing and fighting the brothers I was the only light skin latino. I'm only 5'7" 153lbs,I was shorter and started at 5 in the hood.All my non comp fights have been street fights in the hood and 30 years as a cop lol.So I thank all my teachers and you underground folks know a few of them,but Sifu Bruce Lee was my first and I'm not a KUNGFU GUY I'M MMA 30 YEARS.PS I DANCE TOO!
6/21/14 3:09 PM
Lazer MMA

TTT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.