UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ronda Rousey's mom on TUF: 'I am not amused'

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9/27/13 2:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Ronda Rousey famously learned to fight under the guidance of her mother, Dr. Ann Maria Rousey DeMars, the first American to win a World Judo Championship. Dr. De Mars was given to taking maxims like “Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect” and making them more pointed.

“You know what happens when you practice half-@##, Ronda?" Dr. DeMars asked her daughter. "You f@#%ing lose!”

Ronda's mom has a blog on achieving success in business, sports and academics, that includes random thoughts on Judo, parenting, mixed martial arts, winning & whatever she feels like rambling on.

The most recent entry is on her visit to The Ultimate Fighter 18.

The Ultimate Fighter: I am not amused

I only had one day to observe some of what went on. I'm trying not to be a hypocrite and judge someone (cough Dana White cough) on just a small bit of what I have observed, especially if Ronda gives them a good recommendation.

From the fraction of the entire time I observed, it appeared that Ronda was taunted quite a bit without being allowed to respond, with a deliberate intent to create  a certain image for television.  Maybe they'll show some of that on the episode, maybe not. For those of you who say she cries too much - she's always cried like that all of her life. Who the hell are you people  to enforce a crying quota? If she cries over sad movies, happy endings and losing her car keys, what's it to you? I'm the opposite of that. I've cried three times in the last twenty years, and one of those was when Ronda's father died. So, she can have my share of the quota and it averages out.

Let me tell you a few things about the real Ronda.

Right before she left, she autographed some t-shirts to be auctioned off to raise funds for Frida Wahlberg, who was injured in a world boxing title fight. They raised $2,000. (I think it's actually still in the bank for Ronda to send her when she gets back from Bulgaria.)

She also gave her hoodie from the TUF show and autographed some other shirts so we could send four kids and a teacher to a tournament in Kansas City. We raised $2,400 auctioning the stuff on ebay and then she donated $500 of her own money so we can take a fifth student. So, this is what Ronda has been doing.

Incidentally, she started the program at Gompers Middle School and taught there as a volunteer for two years before her mixed martial arts career heated up.

This is just a FEW of the things she has done for charity, for the community. There are a lot more. And yet, she's not a nice person because she says, "F---". Are you f---ing kidding me?

You know, of those thousands of people who were fed from her various free rice contests, I'll bet not one of them would have been happier to go without food unless it came from someone who talked like Strawberry Shortcake.

Since Ronda steals my lines all of the time, I'll take one of hers:
     To be a champion, you have to be willing to let your heart be broken.

Ronda cares if she wins. When she loses it feels like the whole world fell in. She's extremely loyal to people and when they are hurt, it hurts her.

People are sometimes offended by Ronda because she does not fit how they think she should act. At Ronda's age, given the same degree of provocation, I would have punched out a few people, hit someone with a chair, told everyone to f--- off and walked out. This is why our family cannot do a reality TV show. So, no, I am the LAST person to ask don't I think she should behave differently.

Some of those same people will argue, "I don't care what the instigation, you should never  ---- " fill in the blank. They are entitled to their opinions. I am equally entitled to my opinion that they have their heads up their asses.

Read entire blog...

9/27/13 2:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nonlinear
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mom enables and makes excuses for child's antisocial behavior.

Whoa.  Holy fuck.  Mind blown.

9/27/13 2:31 PM
Nonlinear

My friend calls this behavior "Mommy justify"

9/27/13 2:32 PM
RedDragons
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sometimes cry over happy endings too.

:)
9/27/13 2:42 PM
lookoutawhale
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when Ronda called me and asked could I fly out there, on my way back from another business trip, I said, "Aren't there lots of people with no job you could ask to come out there? I've got shit to do."

I'm trying not to be a hypocrite and judge someone (cough Dana White cough)

At Ronda's age, given the same degree of provocation, I would have punched out a few people, hit someone with a chair, told everyone to fuck off and walked out. This is why our family cannot do a reality TV show. So, no, I am the LAST person to ask don't I think she should behave differently.

Did Ronda's mom just take a shot at Dana, say people who are on TUF are unemployed and then said she would be even worse than Ronda on the show?

ouch.. now we know where Ronda gets it from..

9/27/13 2:42 PM
lookoutawhale
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/27/13 2:46 PM
JimmersonzGlove
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's amazing that people think Rhonda is being made to look bad by the editing. If anything, they'd edit it to make her look good so I have no doubts that there is most likely worse shit that they aren't showing. Why would they do a reality show to slag the image of their poster girl?

9/27/13 2:47 PM
SteelyRes211
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't give a shit if Ronda is a good person or not, I'll never interact with her, but she looks to finish fights brutally and decisively, so I'm a fan.
9/27/13 2:47 PM
Powerful DJH
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enabling her shit behavior. Phone Post
9/27/13 2:48 PM
Vaginal Tear
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With a mom like that and the fact that she hangs out Armenians can we blame Rousey for any type of behavior that comes off as brash?

Maybe none of us are used to someone who is so focused on winning, even as a coach that they wet their emotions on their sleeve so heavy that it consumes them.

Maybe it's the editing.
Maybe it's her. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 2:51 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC wants Honda to be more popular and well liked, I highly doubt they would skew it in the exact opposite direction.
9/27/13 2:55 PM
Whambo
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/13 2:58 PM
Considering the money Ronda is making now, am I to be impressed she signed some t-shirts and gave up a hoodie?

Look, athletes giving some stuff away for charity is standard fair as they either represently a company, team, or product. That doesn't mean a lot of them aren't entitled assholes. It also doesn't give them free rein to behave however the hell they want, that only makes their behaviour worse.

People aren't saying Ronda is a bad person who doesn't care about kids, they're saying she overcompensates, acts like a child, acts like she wants to fight guys then pulls the "I'm just a girl" card when it suits her, has some anger issues...
9/27/13 2:57 PM
Card
2328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

octowussy - Fantastic image selection for this article from the UG team.

9/27/13 2:57 PM
Lite
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/13 3:20 PM
Aw, well. As the vote downs started to roll in, I reappraised my post. It was a little harsh.

I'll water it down and say that life would be very hard, having this woman as your mother.
9/27/13 2:58 PM
okiebug
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think she looks bad. Highly competitive people are emotional. Not all maybe but allot. Phone Post
9/27/13 3:01 PM
T Bag

SteelyRes211 - I don't give a shit if Ronda is a good person or not, I'll never interact with her, but she looks to finish fights brutally and decisively, so I'm a fan.
I wouldn't really say I'm a fa. Since woman's mma isn't all that appealing to me (yet) but I definitely respect her athletic accomplishments and agree with your general sentiments.
I'm honestly amazed that there's so much talk on this board about Ronda and her attitude. I get the whole "to each his own" thing but I really can't imagine giving a shit about this type of thing. Then again I've never been into the TMZ/ Perez thing either and my wife is obsessed with that shit Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 3:02 PM
fenatic

I like her, allot. I know very little of Ronda's mom but from the sound of her blog she is my kind of lady. She's obviously very intelligent, tough as nails and has a big heart. Ronda is a chip off the old block. All of these chumps who are bashing her because she doesn't take the shit thrown at her from the Tate camp tough shit. Meisha Tate is on UF for camera time. She spends most of the day in front of the mirror and has someone watching for the camera to give her the signal to give a big smile. Phone ass bitch who will have her arm busted up real good in their next fight. I will make a prediction, right before their next fight Tate will have to pull out due to injury, loss of heart and just plain scared shit. She better be ready because Ronda is like a hornet nest and no one especially the cupcake ain't gut the answer.
Just My Opinion.
9/27/13 3:03 PM
TARRat
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good call, my man.
9/27/13 3:03 PM
dannyapodaca
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shes like the female version of dana Phone Post
9/27/13 3:08 PM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is her personal blog, one must actively seek it out to get her opinion on anything.

I did laugh out loud on that "crying quota".
She just let out Ronda is over emotional (shocker). Phone Post
9/27/13 3:13 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take away the crying and she's Nick Diaz with a belt and no threats of retirement as of yet. I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Seriously though I haven't watched, is she really that bad?
9/27/13 3:19 PM
bradical
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hover parent is appalled that her bad parenting, resulting in her daughters poor attitude and blown ego are being exposed on TV. Thats about all I can take of this, when you raise people in false reality making them think their better than everyone this is what you get. Rhonda is a bully just like the girls she used to hate in school. The victim becomes the victimizer. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 3:24 PM
Qannebiss
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are this woman's words newsworthy? Because she was a judo champ? Because she's a fighter's mother? Neither of those answers is valid. Phone Post
9/27/13 3:26 PM
iwrestledabearonce
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card -
octowussy - Fantastic image selection for this article from the UG team.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I'm going to let you think and look at the picture for a while. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 3:26 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Lol damn nice to see everyone's passing around the Haterade and some ZuffaJuice in here! Phone Post
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.