UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Uriah Hall said criticism 'lit a fire'

9/27/13 3:25 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When the last season of TUF was filming, word filtered out about a 'TUF Beast' that was sending sending fighters to the hospital. Pre TUF hype is not always accurate, but Hall did indeed send his first four opponents to the hospital.

There was talk of an inevitable title shot against the unbeatable Anderson Silva.

Then, in the TUF finale, Hall faltered vs. the game Kelvin Gastelum, losing a split decision. On Aug. 17, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 26, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva brought back John Howard to provide Hall with a tough test, and Hall failed, losing his second split decision in a row.

The bout was notable for its extraordinary cameraderie - the two clearly and enormously appreciated fighting each other - but it was not notable for its action.

UFC president Dana White finally saw Hall in a new and not unkind light - he's too nice to be a fighter.

"I love Uriah Hall," said White post fight. "I have a great relationship with this kid. He's one of the nicest human beings you can ever meet. He's not a fighter, man."

"He was this killer that everybody was afraid of on 'TUF.' Then he comes in to the big show, where it all really matters and where this is going to make your livelihood and everything else, and he turns into this different person, this super-nice guy.

"He was telling me when I talked to him after 'TUF' like, 'You know, I just really like him (Gastelum) He's a really nice guy.' OK. Well that really nice guy just took every f---ing thing you ever wanted. Do you understand what I'm saying to you?"

Speaking to the press recently in an interview trascribed by Tom Ngo at 5thround.com, White said that Hall understands, and that the remarks lit a fire

“[I've been] very critical [of Hall]," said White. "He sent me a text and said, ‘I appreciate what you said, it lit a fire under me.’ I said, ‘It better.’

“[We didn't talk beyond that brief text message]. What else do you say to the guy? I care about the kid, I like him. He’s one of the nicest human beings you could ever meet, therein lies the problem. It really is part of the problem. He has no killer instinct, whatsoever.”

White had no explanation for how Hall sent four profession four promising professional fighters to the hospital, without a killer instinct.

“I have no idea!” said White when asked. “And it wasn’t like he had killer instinct on the show, he was catching guys with some good s---. Everybody was saying s--- about Uriah Hall. Everybody was talking about that kid. People were saying, ‘We want to see him versus Anderson Silva.’ That’s how much hype there was behind Uriah Hall.”

After his second consecutive loss, White said he had to think about whther he would rlease Hall from his contract. He apparently thought about it, and now fights Chris Leben on what promises to to be the biggest card in UFC history - December 28 at UFC 168.

9/27/13 3:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Freddie Gavaria
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It damn well better have
9/27/13 4:07 PM
Card
2329 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(high fives everyone in thread)

9/27/13 4:12 PM
shaqitup
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if he doesn't finish chris and keep him out of range, he will be in trouble.

9/27/13 4:14 PM
CowboysStuntDouble
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the possibility of fighting for a living, doing what he says he loves, and losing two straight didn't light a fire, but a few angry words from uncle Dana did? Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 4:16 PM
Clarence Parents
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/27/13 4:20 PM
phillymmafan
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card -

(high fives everyone in thread)

Lollll Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 4:21 PM
SuPeRkEwL ELECTRIC bleu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent fight. I can't wait for this one.
9/27/13 4:27 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DFW: "I dont know what we can do to motivate this kid?"

Joe Silva: (picks up a big red phone) "Get me Leben!"
9/27/13 4:30 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ironhouse - DFW: "I dont know what we can do to motivate this kid?"

Joe Silva: (picks up a big red phone) "Get me Leben!"
Yep.. VTFU Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 4:41 PM
stevekt
708 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leben has looked pretty bad in his last two fights. This is going to be an interesting fight. Phone Post
9/27/13 4:53 PM
CowboysStuntDouble
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stevekt - Leben has looked pretty bad in his last two fights. This is going to be an interesting fight. Phone Post
What a coincidence, hall has also looked like shit in his last two fights Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 5:02 PM
UGCTT_Blake
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the right fight. Hall has the skills yo take Leban put for sure, but if he goes in there and is timid, or try's to keep high fiveing him, or hurts him and doesn't go for the kill.. Leban will take his head off. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 5:27 PM
RKing85
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll believe it when I see it.

Getting a softball in Leben however. If he can't beat Leben, he certainly deserves to get cut.
9/27/13 5:32 PM
BrokeFitch

Clarence Parents -

haha one of the best tuf moments ever!! Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 5:33 PM
ChaosOverkill
739 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Talk is cheap

9/27/13 5:38 PM
RocketsRedglare

Leben is dramatically over the hill now. Beyond washed up
9/27/13 5:38 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Blake - This is the right fight. Hall has the skills yo take Leban put for sure, but if he goes in there and is timid, or try's to keep high fiveing him, or hurts him and doesn't go for the kill.. Leban will take his head off. Phone Post 3.0
Excellent assessment. VU. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 5:39 PM
Chromium
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Dana White gets criticized enough for firing Okami, will he re-hire him?

9/27/13 5:53 PM
Jive Turkey

"White had no explanation for how Hall sent four profession four promising professional fighters to the hospital, without a killer instinct."

Apart from the terrible sentence structure and misplaced punctuation that we've come to expect from Underground Blog 'journalism', this sentence is hilarious in that it gives us a glimpse into the writing process of the author.

"no wait... I should use another adjective"
9/27/13 6:02 PM
JerodR
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really think when Hall knocked out Adam it messed with his head... He genuinely looked scared he hurt the guy really, really bad. That will take away some of that killer instinct for sure.
9/27/13 10:45 PM
OCMikey
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone think whoever loses gets cut? Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 10:49 PM
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerodR - I really think when Hall knocked out Adam it messed with his head... He genuinely looked scared he hurt the guy really, really bad. That will take away some of that killer instinct for sure.

Yea, I think his time on the show might have been bad in the long run for him. Those KO's seem to have affected him.
9/27/13 11:42 PM
pegson123

It's racist to criticize Uriah hall fighter IMO. Phone Post
9/27/13 11:45 PM
Blunderhooks
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OCMikey - Anyone think whoever loses gets cut? Phone Post 3.0
That seems to be the whole point. Loser leaves town match. One more shot at redemption for both fighters.

That's my interpretation anyway. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.