UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The UFC Has Released Yushin Okami..

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/28/13 1:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caseharts
682 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Wasa-B - Wow, cant believe this outpouring of support for Okami. Guessing this is a good sign and rare moment of unified voices as Yushin was not very popular on the UG but it appears everyone recognizes that he is still a top guy and that the top guys should still be in the UFC.

Ironically, Im gonna play devil's advocate against Okami here and say that he had a long UFC career and plenty of time to develop and had pretty good match making, he got to fight a good range of guys from not so good to good to great.

18 fights, 13-5 with losses to Anderson, Chael, Franklin, Jacare and Boestch. I thought he would give Jacare a much better fight, he won "the fight" against Franklin and really fcked up vs Boetsch. I'd really like to have seen him avenge the Franklin and/or Boetsch fights, 2 guys it was pretty evident he could beat from the first match. He was dominated by the other 3.

He has been the best Japanese fighter in the UFC, not exciting but solid grappling game, developed a good 1-2 to clinch and he was super tough in the clinch and on top of course. One of the few Japanese fighters with the size and strength and given time to develop as well. Im surprised a guy like Fukuda didnt develop more. Hioki is more talented than both of them but does not have a UFC friendly Kawajiri really would have been a good fit for the UFC esp as a FW. Gomi and Kid in their primes would have been loved by the bang bro crowd.

Its too bad but he had his time. Ideally, he could have been given the chance to beat another top guy or avenge the Boetsch fight or even Franklin as he's close to retirement. Oh well...
Hit it on the nail Phone Post
9/28/13 4:03 AM
TER
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next a name change to UFE.
9/28/13 4:23 AM
3rdLion
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch -
3rdLion - It's a business decision and they can do whatever the fuck they want, stop crying. Phone Post 3.0

From a business perspective, how does cutting your top Japanese talent help when you want better exposure in that market?

I don't know but I don't run the company.

If you're all bothered so much then watch Yushin in his next promotion. Again, stop crying. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 4:25 AM
Sapa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is madness Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 5:20 AM
GaryColeman
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion -
FinestScotch -
3rdLion - It's a business decision and they can do whatever the fuck they want, stop crying. Phone Post 3.0

From a business perspective, how does cutting your top Japanese talent help when you want better exposure in that market?

If you're all bothered so much then watch Yushin in his next promotion. Again, stop crying. Phone Post 3.0
The guy is allowed to have an opinion, Hitler. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 5:43 AM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed. This is a bullshit decision. I'll be a fan watching regardless of entertainment value. I want to see martial arts in action as a true bloodsport. I don't care what works for entertainment, I only care for what works. And I hope one day there will be an organization who brings this to it's fans.
9/28/13 5:58 AM
Joemacka
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly cant believe it Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 6:02 AM
Poptarts

What if Chael leaves the UFC in an outrage and joins Bellator alongside Yushin Okami?
9/28/13 6:18 AM
Granola

I like the Japanese and it sucks to hear this, but Yushin risks destroying the prospects the UFC is trying to promote with his simple yet effective style and experience. Meanwhile he himself isn't doing much to make himself marketable. He should learn some English to get more recognition or start fighting more agressive. Hope he comes back, he's only 32.
9/28/13 6:28 AM
shawarma
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okami wasn't great to watch.
From an entertainment perspective he won't be missed. Will never challenge for a title and will never wow anyone.

However MMA is a sport and in sport you have a ranking system and if you do not respect that and keep the top ten in each division then it is very risky indeed to the legitimacy of the sport.

I am not an Okami fan, but as a fan of the sport we need to ensure that people who get cut are cut because they drop out of the rankings due to others replacing them.

Whilst rankings are subjective most MMA followers roughly agree on the top fighters in a division.

UFC needs to retain the top fighters and Okami from any neutral perspective is one of the top in the world.

Disappointing. Phone Post
9/28/13 7:07 AM
Ramsey

I don't care. You pay a guy a shit ton to be mediocre?
9/28/13 7:54 AM
Don_Dada
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sapa - This is madness Phone Post 3.0
Madness? THIS IS ZUFFA!!! lol but seriously, Zuffa gonna Zuffa. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 8:43 AM
Vindell
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is getting very hard to take UFC serious. They have made this less and less about being a sport and more and more about it being just a entertainment event like the WWE. It is not the best fighters but who talks the most trash who gets the fights. Would anyone at all care about the Superbowl if the Dallas Cowboys were in it every single year because they are the most popular team even if they have a losing record? Then why are mma fans so happy to have it happen in UFC with people getting title shots or top high profile fights for the only reason being what they say in and out of the ring?
9/28/13 9:20 AM
andrewwarner

chalice - 
Vikingknee - Everyone cries but how do you know he wasn't to blame at all for this. Maybe UFC wanted to renegotiate his contract and he said no? I'm not saying the UFC isn't wrong but lots goes on behind the scenes Phone Post 3.0

nobody made the ufc sign the contract, why shouldn't they have to honor it like all the poor schlubs they sign for 10k/10k who end up on main cards and in title contention?

Come to think of it, these contracts are bizarrely one sided it seems like these contracts shouldn't even be legal.
9/28/13 9:39 AM
CaptainAhab
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Okami is a secret agent. Dana is going to pay him Anderson Silva money to win the Bellator title and bore the shit out of everybody.
9/28/13 10:17 AM
3rdLion
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaryColeman -
3rdLion -
FinestScotch -

Apparently I'm not, though. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 11:32 AM
youarewhatiswrong
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - 
GaryColeman -
3rdLion -
FinestScotch -

Apparently I'm not, though. Phone Post 3.0

"Stop crying!" Is not an opinion. It's an inflammatory command. "My opinion is that you should be sucking my dick, 3rd lion." See how that works?
9/28/13 12:15 PM
BshMstr
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the only good thing about this for Okami, is that i guess he can legitamately build a career with another ogranization while he's still at his peak....

maybe he can get signed with an org closer to home, close to what he's making now, or at least doesn't need to travel as much and stuff like that...

so, while i'm not justifying his cut, is it better to cut a guy while he still has a shot at doing well in another organization?
9/28/13 12:40 PM
Jacinto
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramsey - I don't care. You pay a guy a shit ton to be mediocre?

I think you have Okami confused with Lombard here.
9/28/13 2:17 PM
Wasa-B
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Bromovich -  Phone Post

Who can he fight there? In Bellator there is Shchemenko (sp).
9/28/13 2:48 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
507 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Way to undermine the sport's integrity, UFC.

I may not agree with cutting guys like Volkmann, but at least I can see the logic behind it.

As far as I can tell, there's no reasoning behind this beyond the fact that they had a boring fighter that they wanted to cut, and didn't even bother to take into account his talent and standing in the division. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:08 PM
robcardno

Look at all the Okami fans coming out of the closet. Where were all the threads and posts about him the last few years?

He's not a contender, he's not exciting and he's not getting any younger

The next person that buys a ppv because of him will be the first. No one will miss him, stop pretending its a disgrace. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:10 PM
MasterofMartialArts
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, I can't fucking believe this. The second top 10 guy that has been cut this year, except this time, the guy being cut was 3-1 in his last four fights. Maybe even 1 more loss, this may not have been as bad. One loss?!?? ONE fucking loss??!??? In the toughest MMA organization in the world??!?? I know Okami isn't the most exciting, but fucking hell. He's been at the top of the food chain for so long, hell he may have even beat Weidman. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:11 PM
youarewhatiswrong
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

robcardno - Look at all the Okami fans coming out of the closet. Where were all the threads and posts about him the last few years?

He's not a contender, he's not exciting and he's not getting any younger

The next person that buys a ppv because of him will be the first. No one will miss him, stop pretending its a disgrace. Phone Post 3.0

30 posts in 2 years.

Shill. it up.
9/28/13 3:21 PM
youarewhatiswrong

Have we heard anything from CindyOhDanaOhDana yet?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.