UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The UFC Has Released Yushin Okami..

9/27/13 5:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PrettyBoy
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think UFC is going to have to make a lot of cut people don't like in the years to come. They are going to have to field a women's and 125ers. And eventually will need to have more than 10 people on their rosters. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 5:39 PM
ChaosOverkill
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GWizz - Feel bad for okami. Its a tough spot to be in.
With that said...I can understand the promotions position.

They have a packed roster and have trouble getting everybody fights. So the people on roster have to either 1) Be on the way up...still developing. 2) Be a contender 3) Be exciting

Okami has already gone as high as he is going to go. So he's not on the way up. he isnt a contender even though he is top 10 (gatekeeper is a term that is thrown around a lot). And he definitely isn't exciting. So there isnt a lot of value to the promotion.

A wack of WW's that lost to GSP or never reached top 5 seem more justified then.

9/27/13 5:41 PM
Thacommish
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy - I think UFC is going to have to make a lot of cut people don't like in the years to come. They are going to have to field a women's and 125ers. And eventually will need to have more than 10 people on their rosters. Phone Post 3.0

why though? when there is so much extra fat they could cut that would legit make sense? this isnt a case of oh we need to save money and preserve space so yushin cant fit anymore, people are upset because their are 10+ obvious choices of people to cut before you get to yushin. You really cant justify this decision.
9/27/13 5:42 PM
caposa
1803 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Our roster is packed"

Yeah? Well so is your schedule.

Dan Hardy loses 4 straight, keeps his job

John Albert 1-4 in the UFC. Loses 3 straight, keeps his job, loses again

Dustin Pague 1-4 in the UFC. Loses 3 straight, fighting at UFC 166

Steve Cantwell, 1-5 in the UFC. Loses 4 straight, keeps his job, loses again

These are just ones off the top of my head. I am in no way saying these fighters SHOULD have lost their job, I'm just asking where the consistency is.

Yushin Okami is a perennial top 10 Middleweight. Former title contender. Just had a three fight winning streak snapped by Jacare, but that streak included wins over Alan Belcher and Hector Lombard. Unless there was some type of problem in contract negotiations (likely), this is a complete bullshit cut.

9/27/13 5:43 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for insanity Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 5:46 PM
smth416
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like if you make a high purse and have a style some find boring you are in danger.

Jake Shields may be another potential cut with a loss. Phone Post
9/27/13 5:48 PM
AndersonSilvasMoney
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 

"Our roster is packed"

Yeah? Well so is your schedule.

Dan Hardy loses 4 straight, keeps his job

John Albert 1-4 in the UFC. Loses 3 straight, keeps his job, loses again

Dustin Pague 1-4 in the UFC. Loses 3 straight, fighting at UFC 166

Steve Cantwell, 1-5 in the UFC. Loses 4 straight, keeps his job, loses again

These are just ones off the top of my head. I am in no way saying these fighters SHOULD have lost their job, I'm just asking where the consistency is.

Yushin Okami is a perennial top 10 Middleweight. Former title contender. Just had a three fight winning streak snapped by Jacare, but that streak included wins over Alan Belcher and Hector Lombard. Unless there was some type of problem in contract negotiations (likely), this is a complete bullshit cut.

If it was contract negotiations, Dana would have said something like, "we couldn't come to an agreement on renewing his contract." Saying, "the roster is packed," is shorthand for "he isn't exciting enough and we've been dying to cut him for 3 fights now."
9/27/13 5:49 PM
GWizz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

They have a packed roster and have trouble getting everybody fights. So the people on roster have to either 1) Be on the way up...still developing. 2) Be a contender 3) Be exciting

Okami has already gone as high as he is going to go. So he's not on the way up. he isnt a contender even though he is top 10 (gatekeeper is a term that is thrown around a lot). And he definitely isn't exciting. So there isnt a lot of value to the promotion.

A wack of WW's that lost to GSP or never reached top 5 seem more justified then.

Like who? diaz is exciting when he's not retired. Condit is a killer, and exciting as hell. Kos brings it, and has stepped up for the UFC on MANY occasions...he is far from the lay n pray fighter that he used to be. Alves? Who??
9/27/13 5:51 PM
john joe
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
"YUSHIN OKAMI, THANK YOU" - Yushin to Sonnen's mom, earlier this year

"YUSHIN OKAMI, NO THANK YOU" - the UFC, today

surprising release, shame :/
9/27/13 5:51 PM
ChaosOverkill
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/13 5:52 PM
GWizz - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Like who? diaz is exciting when he's not retired. Condit is a killer, and exciting as hell. Kos brings it, and has stepped up for the UFC on MANY occasions...he is far from the lay n pray fighter that he used to be. Alves? Who??

Kos = on his way down, and grappled with Pierce, and Hendricks, what you call "brings it" is debatable and usually eyepokes and swing a wiff over and over.

Kampmann = On his way down

Ellenberger = On his way down

Rick Story = On his way down

Noobs care how a fighter gets his wins, if on his way down is the reason there's 4

9/27/13 5:52 PM
Chromium
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy - I think UFC is going to have to make a lot of cut people don't like in the years to come. They are going to have to field a women's and 125ers. And eventually will need to have more than 10 people on their rosters. Phone Post 3.0

Even if they field Women, 125ers, and Women 125ers, all three of those divisions combined would be smaller than Welterweight or Lightweight are today.

And no matter how you slice it, there are lots and lots and lots of better options than cutting a consensus Top 10 Middleweight on a one-fight slide. They had 56 Middleweights on their roster according to Zane Simon's list on Sports Blog Nation which was last updated yesterday, and Okami is the one they chose next?

9/27/13 5:53 PM
guardbr8kr

Fox has owned us all indeed. Sad times...
9/27/13 5:54 PM
Thacommish
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GWizz - 
ChaosOverkill - 

By your own requirements kos fails, "stepping up" was not listed, nor is it really appreciated by the ufc, after all remember when tito stepped up to fight rashad? Howd that work out?
9/27/13 5:57 PM
ChaosOverkill

I'll take 25 Lombard vs Okamis than 1 Rory Mcdonald vs Ellenberger.

Ellenberger's performance was the most embarassing thing I've seen all year.

9/27/13 5:58 PM
Jone2tone
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was very surprised to hear this - especially since he was 3 - 1 in his last 4! Phone Post 3.0
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CombatIns - And he will be in Bellator or WSoF next week making their roster look better. Phone Post
I don't think Bellator wants a former UFC fighter with his fighting style. Because he would dominate every middleweight they've got. Phone Post
Chromium
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smth416 -  Seems like if you make a high purse and have a style some find boring you are in danger.

Jake Shields may be another potential cut with a loss. Phone Post

While I wouldn't cut Shields either with just one loss (maybe two depending on how they went down), Okami has never had a fight as ugly as Shields' "win" over Ed Herman, has never failed a drug test, and unlike Shields he's still a top 10 fighter.

9/27/13 5:59 PM
allyourbasebase

Meh The UFC is becoming a joke. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 5:59 PM
ChaosOverkill

If "brings it" is an automatic job in the UFC, Leonard Garcia would like his job in a shallow division back.

9/27/13 6:00 PM
Chromium

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
CombatIns - And he will be in Bellator or WSoF next week making their roster look better. Phone Post
I don't think Bellator wants a former UFC fighter with his fighting style. Because he would dominate every middleweight they've got. Phone Post

This. I expect him to go to ONE FC if anywhere. He'd be closer to home, and he's one fighter who might actually make more money there. Also, going to Bellator means he's never coming back to the UFC.

9/27/13 6:03 PM
GWizz

I dont like the cut either. Im simply saying it really isnt THAT surprising is it?

And whoever said Kampman and Ellenburger should be cut before yushin are smokin crack. As a promoter, you know they have a higher probability to have an exciting fight than Okami. Although the juggernaut looked like sh!t against Rory. But they have a better upside than Okami does
9/27/13 6:04 PM
ruazombie66
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the fuck is this shit. I am not the biggest Okami fan, but seriously. You know what really sucks is I bet Carmont loses his next fight and he won't get cut.

9/27/13 6:05 PM
Chris27

Cutting people is fine but cutting top guys or names that still have more left in the tank is the joke.

When a guy is done you can cut him, more and more TUF names or big names in teh div are eventually gonna get old and lose fights and get cut.  Guys like Leben or Kos, they will be cut at some point but it should be when they are completely done.

Okami isnt done at all and he isnt even making huge money.  This cut is just a joke.

FedorEmilioEstevez
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The MW roster IS packed... with fighters not as good as Yushin Okami Phone Post 3.0
Rob San Soo

Don't even have the words Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.