UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana explains Okami cut reason in detail

9/28/13 2:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JimmersonzGlove
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could fight in ufc for another 10 fights and got 7-3, but he will go somewhere else and everyone will call him a ufc washout. Phone Post
9/28/13 2:59 AM
ChaosOverkill
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/13 2:59 AM

It's the same way Tito was a pretty boring champ for a while and the division stagnated until Randy came down and then he finally fought chuck. A nemesis for Tito and conversely Chuck is what made the whole drawing power of both of them.

9/28/13 3:00 AM
breakbeatbox
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one wants to hear this, but this is prize fighting and Okami does not move the needle. There's a reason some guys can lose more than others before being sent on their way, and that's because they're a draw.
9/28/13 3:03 AM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -

He wouldn't be taking drawing power away from anyone else in Bellator just adding to Bellator and helping them add to their product as a choice in situations where they may want to put an event close to UFC night.

I don't see bellator being able to do a lot with him out side of being a dominant champ. Do you think he'd out draw askeren Phone Post

Yeah cause he has some base of support and actually has some finishes, given some far lesser opponents he knows how to finish guys where as ASkren seems to balk at commiting to trying.

I somewhat agree I'd like to see it though. Phone Post
9/28/13 3:04 AM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts -  The key here is . Was Okamis contract up?? If it was and they didn't resign him are they forced to resign him?
I love Okami but In that hypothetical situation explain to be are they obligated to sign him? Phone Post

That's not a cut then, that's a opting not to renew and I don't remember it happening to a top 10 fighter besides Rampage who didn't want to anyways.

I agree but can you hold it against them if they choose not to resign him?? What if they requested less money etc? We don't know. I think he deserved another fight and if it was the end of his contract keep him on a fight to fight basis but if he loses his next fight cut him Phone Post

Dana would normally tell us that, and letting a top 10 guy go is one of those "Don't trade him to a team in our divison so he can come back and hurt us" kind of things.

I dunt see how Okami can hurt them? If he goes to bellator he's definitely the best champ there. Phone Post

By having easier competition (for the most part) and Ironically developping as a draw for Bellator by getting more finish opportunities. I mean he obliterated their far above MW champion's grappling skills who was hyped as this Judo monster.

This isn't Tito or Rampage Yushin has years left to fight

I don't see him being a bigger draw than shlemenko but that's me. He would control shlemenko maybe sub him late. But big draw idk.

I think Okami should go to one fc and build his brand in asia where the ufc always wanted him to Phone Post

No no you're not getting what I mean, by being a better finisher he helps the overall drawing power of Bellatot by being a new draw for Bellator that's beating people badly.

I get it but I don't know if he can finish shlemenko Though. Phone Post

Doesn't need to, just the guys leading up to him and be a decent nemesis for him, that's where the draw lies, in a competitive option for their champ the same way it's annoying the UFC won't jump on GUS vs Jones II as Gus has put himself as the clear best evident nemesis for Jones right now.

You're completely right. I don't see Okami ever having a nemesis though Phone Post
9/28/13 3:07 AM
SonOfThePeepHole
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuckin hell Dana sometimes you are so full of shit Phone Post
9/28/13 3:08 AM
ChaosOverkill
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts -  The key here is . Was Okamis contract up?? If it was and they didn't resign him are they forced to resign him?
I love Okami but In that hypothetical situation explain to be are they obligated to sign him? Phone Post

That's not a cut then, that's a opting not to renew and I don't remember it happening to a top 10 fighter besides Rampage who didn't want to anyways.

I agree but can you hold it against them if they choose not to resign him?? What if they requested less money etc? We don't know. I think he deserved another fight and if it was the end of his contract keep him on a fight to fight basis but if he loses his next fight cut him Phone Post

Dana would normally tell us that, and letting a top 10 guy go is one of those "Don't trade him to a team in our divison so he can come back and hurt us" kind of things.

I dunt see how Okami can hurt them? If he goes to bellator he's definitely the best champ there. Phone Post

By having easier competition (for the most part) and Ironically developping as a draw for Bellator by getting more finish opportunities. I mean he obliterated their far above MW champion's grappling skills who was hyped as this Judo monster.

I don't see him being a bigger draw than shlemenko but that's me. He would control shlemenko maybe sub him late. But big draw idk.

I think Okami should go to one fc and build his brand in asia where the ufc always wanted him to Phone Post

No no you're not getting what I mean, by being a better finisher he helps the overall drawing power of Bellatot by being a new draw for Bellator that's beating people badly.

Doesn't need to, just the guys leading up to him and be a decent nemesis for him, that's where the draw lies, in a competitive option for their champ the same way it's annoying the UFC won't jump on GUS vs Jones II as Gus has put himself as the clear best evident nemesis for Jones right now.

You're completely right. I don't see Okami ever having a nemesis though Phone Post

well nemesis is probably not the right word, just someone who can take him or vice versa to a close decision either way.

9/28/13 3:08 AM
newjack900
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doback M3 - 

The UFC has no credibility as a real sport.  Hasnt for a long time. 

The UFC isn't a 'sport' its a company/promotion. MMA is the sport
9/28/13 3:11 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -

well nemesis is probably not the right word, just someone who can take him or vice versa to a close decision either way.

I'm bellator maybe shlemenko. Okami could be the mw lhw and hw champ there probably. Phone Post
9/28/13 3:13 AM
Bingo'ed in Brazil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okami Tshirts not selling well Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:15 AM
ChaosOverkill

caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -

I'm bellator maybe shlemenko. Okami could be the mw lhw and hw champ there probably. Phone Post

yup and that's exactly what Bellator needs, a challenge for Schlemenko or at least a potential one to hype smashing tournament guys. Now it may not happen or work out but it's better than the void left right now of easy fights for the champ. We've seen what it does at WW with Askren. Now Schelemenko is infinetely more exciting but it serves nothing to have him just flick guys off like ticks repeatedly, he will eventually want out of the promotion and is exactly why they fought for Eddie Alvarez so hard.

9/28/13 3:19 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -

yup and that's exactly what Bellator needs, a challenge for Schlemenko or at least a potential one to hype smashing tournament guys. Now it may not happen or work out but it's better than the void left right now of easy fights for the champ. We've seen what it does at WW with Askren. Now Schelemenko is infinetely more exciting but it serves nothing to have him just flick guys off like ticks repeatedly, he will eventually want out of the promotion and is exactly why they fought for Eddie Alvarez so hard.

To be honest even though I'm a huge shlemenko fan. I could see Marshall koing him if he lures him into a brawl.
But you're right. Okami beats them all that's the difference in the ufc and bellator. Bellator does have good fw and lw divisions though Phone Post
9/28/13 3:21 AM
coolguyrafa
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC claims to have the best fighters in the world and I know okami isn't the best bust he's certainly top 10 in the world with out a doubt. This decision discredits that statement and I hope they don't use that anymore with this cut. It's absurd. Let him lose three in a row at least, he's done his time, treat him with respect as he's done to you. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:24 AM
ChaosOverkill

I wonder how CHael will come down on this, I know he's a UFC guy but he's also a close friend to Okami and this can't sit well with him.

9/28/13 3:26 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
ChaosOverkill -

I wonder how CHael will come down on this, I know he's a UFC guy but he's also a close friend to Okami and this can't sit well with him.

Agreed. I expect a no comment from him as he will know much more than we will. Phone Post
9/28/13 3:26 AM
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Pendulum - So going by all that, why the fuck isn't Roy Nelson gone? He can't get over the hump, a win over him means something, the only difference is Dana doesn't like him.

Fuck you Tighty Whitey Mr Boxercise. Phone Post
Dana doesn't like Roy Nelson? By that logic shouldn't that go against what your saying?

Omani does not have fan appeal that Nelson has, end of story. Dana harps on about Nelson's beard and weight but he still recognises that Nelson does have a following.

Okami is a great fighter. He's just not interesting. Credibility be damned. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:29 AM
Whambo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On current UFC rankings he's #6 in his division and he gets cut. This is fucking stupid.

And the justification is meaningless, I could list tons of fighters that aren't going to be fighting for a title anytime soon or ever that are still on the roster. What's Chris Leben's MW ranking? What about Wand?
9/28/13 3:30 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Whambo - On current UFC rankings he's #6 in his division and he gets cut. This is fucking stupid.

And the justification is meaningless, I could list tons of fighters that aren't going to be fighting for a title anytime soon or ever that are still on the roster. What's Chris Leben's MW ranking? What about Wand?
You picked two guys who are kinda known for the kill or be killed attitude. They're not good examples your right though. But Okami won't be 6th when new rankings come in over the next few weeks. Phone Post
9/28/13 3:31 AM
The Pendulum
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming -
The Pendulum - So going by all that, why the fuck isn't Roy Nelson gone? He can't get over the hump, a win over him means something, the only difference is Dana doesn't like him.

Dana doesn't like Roy Nelson? By that logic shouldn't that go against what your saying?

Omani does not have fan appeal that Nelson has, end of story. Dana harps on about Nelson's beard and weight but he still recognises that Nelson does have a following.

Okami is a great fighter. He's just not interesting. Credibility be damned. Phone Post 3.0
I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying.

What I was getting at is that Dana hates Roy, but he seems to think Okami is awesome. That's the only difference between the two going by what Dana said.

So why would he get rid of Yushin when he could get rid of a pain in his arse? Phone Post
9/28/13 3:31 AM
RogansRoachClips
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJkilla - "he beats up guys we want him to lose to and i can do whatever i want"
Like who?! Who has he beat in the top 10?? Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:32 AM
RogansRoachClips
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming -

Roy has fans. That's the difference. Once never met any mma fan that was like," ya know, that okami fella could be champ one day." Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:33 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
The Pendulum -
slamming -

What I was getting at is that Dana hates Roy, but he seems to think Okami is awesome. That's the only difference between the two going by what Dana said.

So why would he get rid of Yushin when he could get rid of a pain in his arse? Phone Post
Roy is a way bigger draw. That's it. He's also me likely to beat Cain than Okami is to beat Chris W. Just saying. Not saying he should be cut but be honest about their differences. Phone Post
9/28/13 3:36 AM
The Pendulum
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Pendulum -
slamming -

And that Roy Nelson 'following,' as far as I'm concerned, are a bunch of brainless twats that spend too much time in their armchairs harping on about their problems whilst stuffing their faces with burger king and what have you.

How is that man an example for the sport? "Oh, this is MMA. Anyone can do good at it, just look at that fat guy. He's even got a beard, I can relate to him because he's like me."

Really? These guys in the UFC are meant to be 'the best athletes on the planet.' So is it too much to ask for them to actually seem like they give a damn about their chosen career path? Phone Post
9/28/13 3:36 AM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 09/28/13 3:37 AM
RogansRoachClips - 
BJJkilla - "he beats up guys we want him to lose to and i can do whatever i want"
Like who?! Who has he beat in the top 10?? Phone Post 3.0

http://www.fightmatrix.com/historical-mma-rankings/ranking-snapshots/?Issue=292&Division=3

02/03/2013 Just before the Lombard fight

1    Anderson Silva
2    Chael Sonnen
3 2  Vitor Belfort
4 -1  Chris Weidman
5 -1  Luke Rockhold
6    Hector Lombard
7    Yushin Okami
8 1  Costas Philippou
9 4  Ronaldo Souza
10    Mamed Khalidov

9/28/13 3:39 AM
The Pendulum

caseharts -
The Pendulum -
slamming -

Roy is a way bigger draw. That's it. He's also me likely to beat Cain than Okami is to beat Chris W. Just saying. Not saying he should be cut but be honest about their differences. Phone Post
Way bigger draw in the highest drawing division. I'd honestly think that Yushin would have a better chance to beat Chris than Roy would to beat Cain. It would be worse than when Roy got turned 180 by Arlovski. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.