UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana explains Okami cut reason in detail

9/28/13 4:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even more laugable then the Fitch decision. I am having a very hard time reconciling there contract shenenigans with there so called moves to be though of as a legitimate sport.

Okami is not expensive, he is easily top five and he is important for a specific market.

" we have a full roster".... No you fucking don't, not at middleweight, not filled with guys who are better as Okami.

I an fucking disgusted and i will stop buying the PPV from now on out. I join my friends when they get a fight or dowload or something but not spending a euro on zuffa anymore for the forseeable future.

If you cut someone with such a record at least come up with some logical arguments. Say he was to expensive. Could have sort of understood that.

Sorry but this reprehensible move. Between cuts like these and JBJ picking his own fights ( he won the fight but to go from " JBJ does not want to hear the word fight " to " JBJ wants to fight Glover so we make the fight" Zuffa is fast becoming a laughting stock as anything considering a normal sport. Welcome to the age of " entertainment". Its a fucking disgrace. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 4:29 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OneSidedWar - Id wait to see his performance outside the UFC to form an opinion on if it was a "premature" release....alot of people were pissed about Fitch, then he got destroyed in under 60seconds by a top-20 guy who was released long before Fitch.

PS. I heard Bellator has already made offers. We'll see what happens. Phone Post
Are you kidding me..

The cut a dude like Okami after one fight and keep a total can like Lombard around.

Okami would destroy in Bellator. He lost to arguable the most underrated middleweight there ( who easily deserves a titleshot after one more win).How can you cut a dude after a fight against someone like that. Sorry but its just laughable.

To use your nick" its a one side war" waged against the long term credibilty of MMA as a sport. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 4:30 AM
FOTN
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is complete BS Dana. You've always said you're honest with the media, so how about you just come out and tell the truth here.

It's not too late to reinstate Okami either. Look, I'm not the biggest fan of his fighting style either, but the man's earned his spot and deserves to be treated with more respect than this.
9/28/13 4:35 AM
KZTT_W85
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not good enough to be champ but good enough to stop the guys they are trying to build as contenders and derailing hype trains and pay days. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 4:37 AM
Beelze
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White has let 2 dominant wrestler-style fighters go now, 2 fighters that can be seen as "boring" but would absolutely dominate anyone in Bellator, so the question is, is Dana White trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Send out the message that he will not tolerate fighters that put on lacklustre fights no matter what their records are, and to plant one of these "boring" fighters into the second biggest promotion where they could most certainly become a dominant champ?
9/28/13 4:39 AM
fightharder

caseharts -
ChaosOverkill -
1    Chris Weidman
2    Anderson Silva
3    Vitor Belfort
4    Yushin Okami
5    Hector Lombard
6    Ronaldo Souza
7    Mark Munoz
8    Michael Bisping
9 1  Mamed Khalidov
10 1  Costas Philippou

Rank on the 1st of September before Yushin and Costa lost and Souza won

Wtf how bus the khaldikov guy above shlemenko? Or Carmont or Larkin or chael. Wtf Phone Post
Who cares...

Okami would destroy Carmont nine out of ten times.

Why are you focusing on something completely unrelated.

Its shocking to me that the MMA media and fans probably going to let this one pass without to much fuzz. Credibilty of MMA is getting gutted but " Okami just needs some more wins and he be back, perhaps".

Maybe the should start cutting people at the low end of the roster , like they do in every normal professional sport.

In the Ufc it seems like your mostly in danger of getting cut if you linger in the top ten.

If you want to do these kind of thing from a business perspective that's ones perogative i guess but please stop with the BS of MMA being acceptes among the mainstream sports or getting Olympic status. Zuffa just does not judge based on merit anymore. Its getting so obvious its frankly laughable. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 4:42 AM
fightharder

Beelze - Dana White has let 2 dominant wrestler-style fighters go now, 2 fighters that can be seen as "boring" but would absolutely dominate anyone in Bellator, so the question is, is Dana White trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Send out the message that he will not tolerate fighters that put on lacklustre fights no matter what their records are, and to plant one of these "boring" fighters into the second biggest promotion where they could most certainly become a dominant champ?
Dana sending a firm message that they are a "entertainment" company above anything else.

With moves like this the Ufc has no business being treated in the mainstre sports market. Its should firmly be on channels like Fx because its becoming fictional entertainment. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 4:43 AM
ChaosOverkill
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/13 4:44 AM

Overeem had better win agains Mir or this place is going to explode, and he will actually deserve it with 3 in a row and even MORE expensive than Lombard salary wise

Especially the Brits they will lose their shit

9/28/13 7:09 AM
biva

Dana White is a fucking cunt.

*Patiently waits to be banned.* Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 7:16 AM
Arlovskis Chin
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doback M3 -

The UFC has no credibility as a real sport.  Hasnt for a long time. 

Probably because it's not a sport tbh Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 7:32 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How the fuck can you cut top ten fighters and keep some of the dross that will never be top ten?

Ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 7:42 AM
Manila
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC are going hard into the Asian market in 2014 (Singapore, Macau, Manila, China TUF, Tokyo). It's puzzling that they would release arguably Asia's best fighter. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 7:52 AM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It does seem a weird cut if it was money or something maybe but Yushin was a solid fighter maybe not the highlight reel type guy really hope they bring him back. He would be a solid pick up for Bjork and spike. Phone Post
9/28/13 8:04 AM
BrunoMcGyver
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Manila - UFC are going hard into the Asian market in 2014 (Singapore, Macau, Manila, China TUF, Tokyo). It's puzzling that they would release arguably Asia's best fighter. Phone Post 3.0

This, and there's not many top-tier Asian fighters around right now. Unless the UFC is content with constantly putting Kazuki Tokudome and that Tuerxun guy on the main card.

9/28/13 9:43 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the hell has that got to do with anything? 99% of the events I don't view specifically for one fighter. It's supposed to be a sport and he's top ten. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 9:56 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Come on boss.....
9/28/13 10:00 AM
Rob San Soo

What bs lmao I don't want hear Dana talk about rankings here on out. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 10:00 AM
droZZ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he never won big fights, how did he get a title shot? Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 10:01 AM
Rob San Soo

Dana going Dana Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 10:19 AM
Frames4Life

MMOZ - Why hasn't he cut Bisping then if he is cutting gatekeepers now? Phone Post 3.0
Bisping hasnt had a shot yet, Okami had his shot, lost and is now losing to contenders.

I don't necessarily agree with the cut. Phone Post
9/28/13 10:19 AM
Easters
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

List of guys Dana should cut because they're gatekeepers who can't win big fights:

Bisping
Faber
Dodson
Maynard
Dan Henderson
Ellenberger
Miesha
Barry
Diaz bros

Basically anyone without a title

Bullshit
9/28/13 10:21 AM
CaptainAhab
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boo this man
9/28/13 10:31 AM
Augustus Caesar
919 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dfw cant justify this

9/28/13 10:32 AM
I Wild Each It
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/13 10:32 AM
I understand what Dana is saying from a business perspective. What I don't understand is how guys like Koscheck, Mir, Nelson, Healy, Danzig, Cerrone, Diego Sanchez, Bisping, Hardy, Maynard, Ellenberger, etc are still on the roster. Based on his reasoning in that interview, these guys should have been cut as well.
9/28/13 10:34 AM
crumbs

I like okami and think he should have had to taken at least 2 L's in a row to warrant a cut.

But all the fighters people are naming and saying didn't get over the "hump" either, are fighters that people actually want to watch, fighters that are exciting, fighters with a fan base, even the most extreme comparisons , you will find more fans for that fighter then okami.

Where was this okami fan club when it mattered? . Just like the fitch fan club the UG hastily threw together after the fact, even tho the general consensus of the mma world was no one gives a shit about Fitch.

all sports are entertainment, and we vote what we want with our money, i don't know about everyone one in this thread, but I didn't buy any okami tshirts, or supported his career in any way other then watching him fight once in awhile, and even then I was probably watching that card because of other fighters on it, not specifically okami.

I agree, okami deserved one more fight. But don't sit here and act like you guys were president of the okami fan club.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.