UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana explains Okami cut reason in detail

9/28/13 10:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crumbs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like okami and think he should have had to taken at least 2 L's in a row to warrant a cut.

But all the fighters people are naming and saying didn't get over the "hump" either, are fighters that people actually want to watch, fighters that are exciting, fighters with a fan base, even the most extreme comparisons , you will find more fans for that fighter then okami.

Where was this okami fan club when it mattered? . Just like the fitch fan club the UG hastily threw together after the fact, even tho the general consensus of the mma world was no one gives a shit about Fitch.

all sports are entertainment, and we vote what we want with our money, i don't know about everyone one in this thread, but I didn't buy any okami tshirts, or supported his career in any way other then watching him fight once in awhile, and even then I was probably watching that card because of other fighters on it, not specifically okami.

I agree, okami deserved one more fight. But don't sit here and act like you guys were president of the okami fan club.
9/28/13 10:40 AM
I Wild Each It
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - I like okami and think he should have had to taken at least 2 L's in a row to warrant a cut.

But all the fighters people are naming and saying didn't get over the "hump" either, are fighters that people actually want to watch, fighters that are exciting, fighters with a fan base, even the most extreme comparisons , you will find more fans for that fighter then okami.

Where was this okami fan club when it mattered? . Just like the fitch fan club the UG hastily threw together after the fact, even tho the general consensus of the mma world was no one gives a shit about Fitch.

all sports are entertainment, and we vote what we want with our money, i don't know about everyone one in this thread, but I didn't buy any okami tshirts, or supported his career in any way other then watching him fight once in awhile, and even then I was probably watching that card because of other fighters on it, not specifically okami.

I agree, okami deserved one more fight. But don't sit here and act like you guys were president of the okami fan club.

100% agree. I was never a big Okami fan and thought he was pretty boring...but that's not how Dana justified it. We all know that's probably the reason he got cut, so just come out and say it. Not only would people accept that more than "our roster is packed" or "he can't get over the hump"...but it would send another signal to guys on the roster to be more exciting or risk being sent packing.
9/28/13 10:40 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -
caseharts -  The key here is . Was Okamis contract up?? If it was and they didn't resign him are they forced to resign him?
I love Okami but In that hypothetical situation explain to be are they obligated to sign him? Phone Post

That's not a cut then, that's a opting not to renew and I don't remember it happening to a top 10 fighter besides Rampage who didn't want to anyways.

Dan henderson Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 10:46 AM
crumbs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Wild Each It - 
crumbs - I like okami and think he should have had to taken at least 2 L's in a row to warrant a cut.

100% agree. I was never a big Okami fan and thought he was pretty boring...but that's not how Dana justified it. We all know that's probably the reason he got cut, so just come out and say it. Not only would people accept that more than "our roster is packed" or "he can't get over the hump"...but it would send another signal to guys on the roster to be more exciting or risk being sent packing.

Your right, Dana should quit beating around the bush. Okami was boring, no fans.

The UG reaction wouldn't of changed much, but at least the common folk can accept the real excuse.
JStrongMMA
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Leben makes more than Okami and he is 1-4 in his last 5 and has looked terrible. I'm not knocking Chris because I like him but he has been reduced to a prelim fighter that fans don't really care about seeing. The roster excuse isn't even a logical one. Phone Post
TheHaunted2

He beat hype job lombard. And that guy is still in the ufc Phone Post
9/28/13 10:47 AM
6ULDV8
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a fantastic explanation.  

That's why these fights are so meaningful.

9/28/13 11:18 AM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

Team GDP -
caseharts - 
Team GDP -

you know op if you're going to link a quote, you could at least link the story where the original quote was taken from

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ufc-cuts-yushin-okami-tuf-16-runner-mike-000903036--mma.html;_ylt=A2KJjb1bHkZSLggAdJNNbK5_

just saying

I don't frequent yahoo. What's wrong with mania? Phone Post

well kevin iole wrote a story and got a quote from dana. then mma mania, copy and pasted that quote and created a story around it, and linked back to iole's article. if someone is going to link to the original quote from dana, i think the click should go to the person who originally got the quote, not the person who cut and pasted. 

and thanks for changing the link  OP. VTFU

No problem Kevin!!!

B-) Phone Post
9/28/13 12:43 PM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
fightharder -
caseharts -
ChaosOverkill -
1    Chris Weidman
2    Anderson Silva
3    Vitor Belfort
4    Yushin Okami
5    Hector Lombard
6    Ronaldo Souza
7    Mark Munoz
8    Michael Bisping
9 1  Mamed Khalidov
10 1  Costas Philippou

Rank on the 1st of September before Yushin and Costa lost and Souza won

Wtf how bus the khaldikov guy above shlemenko? Or Carmont or Larkin or chael. Wtf Phone Post
Who cares...

Okami would destroy Carmont nine out of ten times.

Why are you focusing on something completely unrelated.

Its shocking to me that the MMA media and fans probably going to let this one pass without to much fuzz. Credibilty of MMA is getting gutted but " Okami just needs some more wins and he be back, perhaps".

Maybe the should start cutting people at the low end of the roster , like they do in every normal professional sport.

In the Ufc it seems like your mostly in danger of getting cut if you linger in the top ten.

If you want to do these kind of thing from a business perspective that's ones perogative i guess but please stop with the BS of MMA being acceptes among the mainstream sports or getting Olympic status. Zuffa just does not judge based on merit anymore. Its getting so obvious its frankly laughable. Phone Post 3.0
I disagree. Pretty sure Carmont wins. Phone Post
9/28/13 1:08 PM
Weiderloo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJkilla - "he beats up guys we want him to lose to and i can do whatever i want"

This is the only reasonable explanation.
9/28/13 1:12 PM
jmacdoug
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my god this full roster
9/28/13 1:19 PM
Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okami has had a murderers row of tough opponents his whole UFC career Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 1:51 PM
Another Foob
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

13-5 in the UFC, and 3-1 in his last four. This makes no sense. Making room for 0-2 Uriah Hall?
9/28/13 2:21 PM
Beefy Wellington

This does not make sense. Chances are the UFC doesn't like his management and are letting the rest of em know to always "play ball" or else! Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:23 PM
Rory Is My Brother

BrunoMcGyver -

If not "getting over the hump" is grounds for getting booted from the UFC then why was Michael Bisping about to headline a card til he gto injured?

. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:24 PM
Rory Is My Brother

JStrongMMA - Chris Leben makes more than Okami and he is 1-4 in his last 5 and has looked terrible. I'm not knocking Chris because I like him but he has been reduced to a prelim fighter that fans don't really care about seeing. The roster excuse isn't even a logical one. Phone Post
. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:56 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

So wait: Okami is 3-1 and lost to Jacare who has looked like a monster

But

Lombard who is 1-2

Palhares is 2-2

Sakara hasn't had a win in 3 years and lost 3 in a row?

But Okami gets cut? Wtf Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:00 PM
thatcpjguy

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
ChaosOverkill -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Marquardt and Munoz were pretty freaking big back to back wins. Phone Post

Nah totally worthless for the purposes of justifying the cut. 

Wait didn't WEidman get a titleshot for beating that Munoz guy?

Yeah he did. I get what Dana's saying and all that but Okami really did everything he could in a division but become champ, and his division had the greatest champ in MMA history.

I never felt like he got quite enough credit from fans for how good he was. Phone Post
He didn't get enough credit. When silva best him people acted like well there goes silva fighting another scrub. If people showed all this enthusiasm for one of his fights maybe he would still be around.

I think without a doubt he's been the best middleweight in the last 5 years or so right behind Anderson but he's not consistently bringing in fight of the night awards so we know that makes you susceptible to getting cut. Even if he goes to bellator and continues to win like he usually does, UFC has nothing to fear as Okami's style isn't going to bring in some new fans. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:01 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not to be mean, but Brendan Vera is still under contract and he has not beaten anyone top 10 in how many years? Okami was a solid guy who never could win the "Big" one, ie the MW title. But that is it, he always brought it against top competition and won alot as a result of that.
9/28/13 3:02 PM
Tweener

Doback M3 - 

The UFC has no credibility as a real sport.  Hasnt for a long time. 

The UFC isn't a sport.
9/28/13 3:05 PM
misterw

Every weight class has a champ. And maybe a couple others who might actually have a chance to beat him. So I guess everyone else should be cut?
9/28/13 3:08 PM
Tweener

misterw - Every weight class has a champ. And maybe a couple others who might actually have a chance to beat him. So I guess everyone else should be cut?

I think trying to use logic with a guy like Dana just isn't going to work.

He seems to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He doesn't appear to listen to reason - and doesn't really bother to think if what he's doing or saying makes sense.

This is the guy who loves to say "such-and-such will never happen", but rarely seems to hold to those promises. My favorite was how women will never fight in the UFC, and now they're featured on the new TUF show.
9/28/13 3:12 PM
MasterofMartialArts
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Marquardt and Munoz were pretty freaking big back to back wins. Phone Post

Lol this Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:45 PM
Slaughter on Tenth Avenue

He will be back soon... Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:48 PM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
thatcpjguy -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
ChaosOverkill -

Yeah he did. I get what Dana's saying and all that but Okami really did everything he could in a division but become champ, and his division had the greatest champ in MMA history.

I never felt like he got quite enough credit from fans for how good he was. Phone Post
He didn't get enough credit. When silva best him people acted like well there goes silva fighting another scrub. If people showed all this enthusiasm for one of his fights maybe he would still be around.

I think without a doubt he's been the best middleweight in the last 5 years or so right behind Anderson but he's not consistently bringing in fight of the night awards so we know that makes you susceptible to getting cut. Even if he goes to bellator and continues to win like he usually does, UFC has nothing to fear as Okami's style isn't going to bring in some new fans. Phone Post 3.0
I disagree I allways considered chael and maia a step ahead Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.