UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana explains Okami cut reason in detail

9/28/13 4:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crocop'sLeftLeg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with everyone who said Dana and the UFC are a joke.
9/28/13 4:30 PM
newjack900
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LETMEBANGBRO - 
BrunoMcGyver - 

If not "getting over the hump" is grounds for getting booted from the UFC then why was Michael Bisping about to headline a card til he gto injured?

First thing I thought too.

Bc Michael Bisping's popularity is on another level than most UFC fighters who aren't champs. Especically in the UK - you guys don't get that? UFC cares about making $ believe it or not
9/28/13 4:36 PM
sillypants

it's why they only rank the top 5 (cuz, if #6 gets cut, what's the point....?

oh....wait.

Nope, another move I don't get.

But then, if the established #6 guy gets cut and is still interested in fighting, it's ultimately really good for the sport, cuz that guy will find other fights elsewhere that i'm interested in seeing and it'll result with me watching a lot of non-UFC shows (but then, who cares, if it's better for the sport of MMA and bad for the UFC? I like to watch Fights, not the UFC - i'm here for the sport, not the brand.)

9/28/13 4:42 PM
Dominique Robinson
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrunoMcGyver -

If not "getting over the hump" is grounds for getting booted from the UFC then why was Michael Bisping about to headline a card til he gto injured?

Good point Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 4:42 PM
M Wood
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously there was a money issue. But like a previous poster said 'w/ the planned Asian expansion by the UFC this is questionable. Best explanation I've heard so far is "Dana gonna Dana".
9/28/13 4:54 PM
AustintheWolfe
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okami cant draw money, he's good enough to have a contract, but its not that surprising.
9/28/13 5:25 PM
Porkchop

13-5 in the UFC and he gets cut?

That's crazy.
9/28/13 5:57 PM
Officer Farva
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrunoMcGyver - 

9/28/13 7:07 PM
Beefy Wellington

Plain tickets from Japan is spensive!!! Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 7:20 PM
My jimmy got bam bamm-ed
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dmoney35 -
BrunoMcGyver -

he never got a title shot Phone Post 3.0
That's only because he lost every title contender decider he has been in...this world equate to not getting over those bumps yeah? Phone Post
9/28/13 7:28 PM
My jimmy got bam bamm-ed
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My jimmy got bam bamm-ed -
Dmoney35 -
BrunoMcGyver -

he never got a title shot Phone Post 3.0
That's only because he lost every title contender decider he has been in...this world equate to not getting over those bumps yeah? Phone Post
To save folks looking it up. Sonnen, Belfort & Henderson were all kisses that stopped bisping from getting a title shot. Phone Post
9/28/13 7:29 PM
My jimmy got bam bamm-ed

Lol. Losses, not kisses.

Fucking auto correct. Phone Post
9/28/13 7:30 PM
MasterofMartialArts
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrunoMcGyver -

He is their poster boy for the UK, puts a lot of asses in seats. Doesn't mean that I agree with the decision to cut Okami, that's just a fact. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 7:46 PM
Synado
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I suspect he released him to let him fight in Japan.
9/28/13 7:56 PM
The Sultan
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's no consistency. The same excuses for okamis release can be said about a handful of guys. They have guys with way more losses still on the roster. Phone Post
9/28/13 8:00 PM
Blazing Knees

He was turning into the Jardine of that division and can't cut and can't step up.

He made TONS of money in the UFC and has had a great run.

He's a gatekeeper at this point better to fight another day in another org.

I enjoyed watching him but it's over after 7 years
9/28/13 8:27 PM
BrunoMcGyver
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

newjack900 - 
LETMEBANGBRO - 
BrunoMcGyver - 

Bc Michael Bisping's popularity is on another level than most UFC fighters who aren't champs. Especically in the UK - you guys don't get that? UFC cares about making $ believe it or not

If that was the case - and I believe it probably was - then I'd personally prefer Dana to say something like "We just got sick of Yushin's style. He's a great guy and his fighting style has proven to be effective most of the time. However, most fans out there use Okami's fighs as an excuse to run some errands or take a long shit during a PPV and we don't want that."

Not this sugarcoating "he couldn't get over the hump" bullshit.

9/28/13 8:41 PM
Blazing Knees

BrunoMcGyver - 
newjack900 - 
LETMEBANGBRO - 
BrunoMcGyver - 

If that was the case - and I believe it probably was - then I'd personally prefer Dana to say something like "We just got sick of Yushin's style. He's a great guy and his fighting style has proven to be effective most of the time. However, most fans out there use Okami's fighs as an excuse to run some errands or take a long shit during a PPV and we don't want that."

So you;re Dana and what do you say?"

' I know you guys are taking a shit during his boring ass fights so I cut him

9/28/13 10:12 PM
Mookie 3:16

in

9/29/13 12:04 AM
7titofan7

Lame reasoning. Im not an okami fan but i can appreciate his talent. Probly just being punished for beating lombard who dana paid and hyped so much, and figures okami will do the same to any future contender but not actually get the title himself. Still a shit reason but makes more sense than "the roster is packed and he wont win a title" Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:23 AM
MT11

He won 3 in a row before losing to Jacare. And 2 wins over Belcher and Lombard. What a fucking joke the UFC is now Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 1:37 AM
edock02
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but he is fkn borrrrrrring to waTCH.

maybe if he learned some english to promote himself, started spitting in peoples faces, saying he is ready for Silva, talking himself up...there might be some sparks around him, not cobwebs.
UFC is about ENTERTAINMENT
9/29/13 3:25 AM
BrunoMcGyver
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blazing Knees - 
BrunoMcGyver - 
newjack900 - 
LETMEBANGBRO - 
BrunoMcGyver - 

So you;re Dana and what do you say?"

' I know you guys are taking a shit during his boring ass fights so I cut him

I was trying to be funny on that last line; I wouldn't think Dana White would actually say that in any circumstance.

Still though, why doesn't he say something like "The UFC is a business and we won't keep fighters who are not beneficial to our business."? Why does he to have to make a bullshit excuse that we all know is bullshit?

9/29/13 6:45 AM
Chromium
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What pisses me off as much as anything, is the horrible precedent this sets.

Yes, being exciting can give you more opportunities. It can and it should. And yes, MMA is a business. But Zuffa has built the current UFC's foundation on the notion that MMA is a fully credible sport, and it's treated as such. When people fail drug tests, they pay real consequences. And conversely when one has a certain level of talent and accomplishment, and you don't have any black marks against you outside the cage, that should be enough to ensure job security through individual losses to top talent.

I'm trying to think of a worse cut and I can't.

9/29/13 7:22 AM
6ULDV8
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way being a fighter has changed over the years is amazing.

At first they were badass individuals that chose a different path.

Now they're owned, body and soul, and corporate drones.  Any wrong move and they're blackballed, so better not offend anyone on social media or else!  But you better be on social media or else!  

Do absolutely everything you're told or risk the wrath of the higher ups, which would ruin your career.

Crazy how the game has changed.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.