UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana explains Okami cut reason in detail

9/29/13 8:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrunoMcGyver - 
newjack900 - 
LETMEBANGBRO - 
BrunoMcGyver - 

If not "getting over the hump" is grounds for getting booted from the UFC then why was Michael Bisping about to headline a card til he gto injured?

First thing I thought too.

Bc Michael Bisping's popularity is on another level than most UFC fighters who aren't champs. Especically in the UK - you guys don't get that? UFC cares about making $ believe it or not

If that was the case - and I believe it probably was - then I'd personally prefer Dana to say something like "We just got sick of Yushin's style. He's a great guy and his fighting style has proven to be effective most of the time. However, most fans out there use Okami's fighs as an excuse to run some errands or take a long shit during a PPV and we don't want that."

Not this sugarcoating "he couldn't get over the hump" bullshit.

Remember Fitch? Hes never going to come out and say wrestlers suck lol He'd rather dance around the issue.
9/29/13 9:05 AM
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's going to be really sad is if Okami has a bad loss after the cut...

Dana's dumb ass is going to come on the UG and on the MMAHour to say how he knew he was on the decline, everyone else was delusional, and how this officially signals the end of his career lol
9/29/13 9:13 AM
MattyECB

mikethecricket - I don't mind Okami.

The cut makes sense to me. Pretty clear he won't be champ, and unless you clear guys like him out, things get stale.

Dana's instincts are what made the UFC so awesome. I think he knows what he is doing.

While I think Dana has done a commendable job and better than most ppl could've done -- what, "instinct choices," like this has he done that made the UFC so awesome?

I'm really quite curious what you're referencing.

And that's fucking idiotic, "pretty clear he won't be champ?"

He lost one fight after a 3 fight win streak that included a finsh and one win over a recently acquired and hugely-hyped acquisition. He has one of the best records in the UFC, much better than a gate-keeper and with much better wins what a gatekeeper would have (See Kongo).

Pretty ignorant to call someone a gate-keeper less than two years after he earned his title-shot

If you think he's go no chance because of how dominated he was, well then you might as well cut the whole fucking MW division, or at least cut the best of the MW division, i.e. the ones good enough to have challenged AS since, News Flash, AS made pretty much everyone he faced look like shit

I mean Christ, his win resume includes -- Munoz, Belcher, Marquardt, and Lombard.
9/29/13 11:00 AM
MbA7601
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By Dana's logic, they should cut Faber and Chael, they both have failed to get over the hump multiple times. I'm not even an Okami fan but that's bullshit Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 11:29 AM
dannytsg
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could exchange the name Okami with Bisping and that interview would read the same. I liked Okami and always had fight in ho Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:57 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MbA7601 - By Dana's logic, they should cut Faber and Chael, they both have failed to get over the hump multiple times. I'm not even an Okami fan but that's bullshit Phone Post 3.0

lol, good point
9/29/13 1:01 PM
SankakuGatame
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Statement does not really make sense. Go look at the roster. There are literally dozens of guys there who are far less relevant than Okami.
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class/Middleweight
9/29/13 1:17 PM
Brabatross

MMOZ - Why hasn't he cut Bisping then if he is cutting gatekeepers now? Phone Post 3.0
Just because he cut Okami doesn't mean he has to cut all the gatekeepers at the same time... Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 1:24 PM
Alumynabjj

ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts - 
ChaosOverkill -
caseharts -  The key here is . Was Okamis contract up?? If it was and they didn't resign him are they forced to resign him?
I love Okami but In that hypothetical situation explain to be are they obligated to sign him? Phone Post

That's not a cut then, that's a opting not to renew and I don't remember it happening to a top 10 fighter besides Rampage who didn't want to anyways.

I agree but can you hold it against them if they choose not to resign him?? What if they requested less money etc? We don't know. I think he deserved another fight and if it was the end of his contract keep him on a fight to fight basis but if he loses his next fight cut him Phone Post

Dana would normally tell us that, and letting a top 10 guy go is one of those "Don't trade him to a team in our divison so he can come back and hurt us" kind of things.

I dunt see how Okami can hurt them? If he goes to bellator he's definitely the best champ there. Phone Post

By having easier competition (for the most part) and Ironically developping as a draw for Bellator by getting more finish opportunities. I mean he obliterated their far above MW champion's grappling skills who was hyped as this Judo monster.

This isn't Tito or Rampage Yushin has years left to fight

Lol at obliterated. You mean lay on top of? Phone Post
9/29/13 1:31 PM
Seats Taken
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okami got Fitched. 

9/29/13 2:09 PM
gtownhoya
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Off the top of my head, other guys who fit in Dana's description: Roy, Mir, Bisping, Big Nog, Rashad, Bader, Lil Nog, Belcher, Kos, Cerrone and Miller.

Then there are the guys who could only dream of being gatekeepers. At least 25% of the UFC roster consists of guys whose "best case" career path at this point, either due to age or a demonstrated inability to hang with the elite, leaves them well outside the top 10. Why not cut those guys first? Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 2:32 PM
Williambonney

Lets be honest the UFC is NOT a legit sport and hasn't been for a long time, they are much more "sports entertainment" then a actual sport, skill and winning means much less then if dana likes you and how he can use you to market his product.
9/29/13 2:52 PM
6ULDV8
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's goddam shame what's happening with it.  I got into the game because it was so badass.

Now it's turning into focus groups and meeting the interests of the shareholders.

Zuffa, look what's happening to Blizzard Gaming.  You don't want to go there.

Pick Riot.  Riot is freaking awesome and TBH, I'm becoming more interested in E-Sports because of them than I am in MMA because of you.

Zuffa (I know it's not just you, but a lot of it is you), don't let this happen.  

9/29/13 3:42 PM
caseharts
510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Williambonney - Lets be honest the UFC is NOT a legit sport and hasn't been for a long time, they are much more "sports entertainment" then a actual sport, skill and winning means much less then if dana likes you and how he can use you to market his product.
Lol what. Phone Post
9/29/13 5:09 PM
Mihow
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - 
Williambonney - Lets be honest the UFC is NOT a legit sport and hasn't been for a long time, they are much more "sports entertainment" then a actual sport, skill and winning means much less then if dana likes you and how he can use you to market his product.
Lol what. Phone Post

completely true

absolute bullshit cut and bullshit explanation

this isn't a real sport

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.