UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bjj etiquette question

9/28/13 12:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
diggity
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In training, a light, friendly Saturday session. If you have a cross choke or go choke on your training partner but its on their teeth, do you squish your partners mouth like your life depends on it or do you try to work your forearm under the chin and get it done in a calm, non injurious way.
(Yes my mouth is squished and busted up and I'm sad and my vagina hurts) it just seemed completely cunty. What say the UG? Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 1:06 PM
Letibleu
1660 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/13 1:06 PM

I would be interested in any BJJ etiquette suggestions since I start this coming Tuesday.

So far I know:

-Trim nails

-Dont eat gassy foods or blood smell foods like garlic

-Make sure Gi is dry

-Wear a cup for safety and comfort of the other person

-Never look in the eyes 

9/28/13 1:07 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can block with your face but expect the consequences. Also, no shame in tapping to a face smash BEFORE you get your lip busted Phone Post
9/28/13 1:12 PM
diggity

ChipW - You can block with your face but expect the consequences. Also, no shame in tapping to a face smash BEFORE you get your lip busted Phone Post
Fair enough.... Yes.... Thanks. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 1:15 PM
MarsMan
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no such thing as a 100% "friendly" lesson.

Also, how experienced was the squisher guy?

9/28/13 1:19 PM
Winston Wolf

unless the choke is clean squashing face is cheap
9/28/13 1:20 PM
Ray Elbe
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MDK IMHO Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 1:20 PM
Winston Wolf

but at same time u let him get u in that position
9/28/13 1:21 PM
Seats Taken
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What belt rank are you OP? If you're a white or a blue, you should go back to drilling it until you know how to finish it correctly instead of trying to smash your partners head in a "light" roll. Sometimes drilling with a partner that is giving resistance helps you find the little details that you didn't learn when drilling it with a partner that gave you his neck. If your partner is saying let's roll 50% then defending a 100% make it rough on him a little while then look for a transition into another choke or an armbar. 

Or just just ask yourself, would my partner crank on this if he had me in this position? If the answer is yes, crank away friend. 

9/28/13 1:25 PM
Kid Charlemagne
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always been on the fence about this kind of stuff.

The hygiene part is always a must but in the case of an unorthodox sub, part of me says it's dirty and don't do it to team mates. However, in a tourney, your opponent doesn't care about so you it can prepare you. So in a sense it can prepare you for shitty situations.

Personally I wouldn't go or anything fucked up like that but at the same time if I was in that position and I knew he wasn't gonna let up, I have no shame in tapping and rolling with someone else. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 1:26 PM
I GOT WEE'D ON BY WEIDMAN
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wear a mouthguard

9/28/13 1:27 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some people are just a lil rough. You will figure out who and prepare accordingly Phone Post
9/28/13 2:16 PM
Slobonmynog
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This isnt tiddlywinks. Just get on with it.

Someone does something you dont like, get them back on the next one. Or dont roll with them. Phone Post
9/28/13 2:18 PM
Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole

Always use extra startch on your gi sleeves to road rash peoples face in competition. Phone Post
9/28/13 2:21 PM
ChrisWeidmanedmydiameter
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As my wrestling coach always said "this isn't ping pong, get tough"

I sorta think it's a dick move but if you both l go 100% they'll be no excuse for someone getting confused on how hard to roll. Phone Post
9/28/13 2:23 PM
Tommy_Wiseau

Edited: 09/28/13 2:24 PM
You have to be a giant douche to crank a gi across someone's mouth in training. If you had really caught him in the choke properly, you would be choking him, not crushing his face...so clearly at that point you already failed at getting the choke sunk in, and any tap you get would be just pain based rather than technique based. In training, the purpose is to improve your technique, not to get a tap at any cost...it's fucking open mat, it's not abu dhabi
9/28/13 2:28 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm all for training hard, but if you're sparring boxing, would you try to punch your training partner as hard as possible? Of course not, and the same rules apply to grappling, especially if you're training with pol who obviously train recreationally.

Go hard but take care of your training partners--they're not the competition. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:38 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Letibleu -

I would be interested in any BJJ etiquette suggestions since I start this coming Tuesday.

So far I know:

-Trim nails

-Dont eat gassy foods or blood smell foods like garlic

-Make sure Gi is dry

-Wear a cup for safety and comfort of the other person

-Never look in the eyes 

A cup? Who uses that Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:42 PM
diggity

I GOT WEE'D ON BY WEIDMAN -

wear a mouthguard

I did! Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:43 PM
diggity

fishyfish -

IMO if the guy applying a sub, even an unconventional one, goes gradually, giving you time to tap, it's OK.  when you don't tap, you're basically saying "no, I'm not in trouble.  keep trying to finish". 

I often improvise subs, and noone has gotten injured yet, because I go gradually, and they tap if they're in any trouble.

Yeah man- completely agree! And the dude smashed it on super quick. Fuuuu Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:44 PM
diggity

Tommy_Wiseau - You have to be a giant douche to crank a gi across someone's mouth in training. If you had really caught him in the choke properly, you would be choking him, not crushing his face...so clearly at that point you already failed at getting the choke sunk in, and any tap you get would be just pain based rather than technique based. In training, the purpose is to improve your technique, not to get a tap at any cost...it's fucking open mat, it's not abu dhabi
Ha ha! That's what I thought as my teeth were being crushed in to my gums. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:46 PM
likatiga
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fishyfish - 

IMO if the guy applying a sub, even an unconventional one, goes gradually, giving you time to tap, it's OK.  when you don't tap, you're basically saying "no, I'm not in trouble.  keep trying to finish". 

I often improvise subs, and noone has gotten injured yet, because I go gradually, and they tap if they're in any trouble.

this. you can't expect your partner to change positions because you "might" be uncomfortable. it's your call on how far he goes with each position.

unless of course he went from zero to full crank right away, then he's a dick. tap out and move on.
9/28/13 2:58 PM
diggity

Slobonmynog - This isnt tiddlywinks. Just get on with it.

Someone does something you dont like, get them back on the next one. Or dont roll with them. Phone Post
We should hang out in real life. Great attitude..... Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 2:59 PM
diggity

likatiga -
fishyfish - 

this. you can't expect your partner to change positions because you "might" be uncomfortable. it's your call on how far he goes with each position.

unless of course he went from zero to full crank right away, then he's a dick. tap out and move on.
Zero to death before dishonour in about a tenth of a second. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 3:06 PM
diggity

MarsMan -

There is no such thing as a 100% "friendly" lesson.

Also, how experienced was the squisher guy?

We're both blue belts- 4 stripes for what it's worth. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.