UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> The Distinguishing Characteristic of Gay Face?

9/28/13 10:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Klein Helmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/13 10:29 PM

Serious Question

I have boggled over this for years.  As it turns out, the existence of gay face has been confirmed by scientific study, but the unifying factor/s remain/s unidentified.  Can any among you propose a novel theory?  Here is some fascinating reading on the matter from Scientific American:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=something-queer-about-that-face

"Findings from a recent study published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology... The January 2008 study investigated people's ability to identify homosexual men from pictures of their faces alone... Nicholas Rule and Nalini Ambady from Tufts University perused online dating sites and carefully selected 45 straight male faces and 45 gay male faces... These 90 faces were then shown to 90 participants... all participants scored above chance... "

"Rule and Ambady conducted a second experiment that controlled for such extraneous variables as self-presentation and hairstyle... 'by using photos of gay and straight individuals that they themselves did not post, we were able to remove the influence of self-presentation and much of the potential selection bias...'  the participants were able to identify the gay faces at levels greater than chance..."

"in an even more rigorously controlled series of experiments... researchers demonstrated that perceivers were able to do this even when they were shown only individual features of the target's face... "

An interesting suggestion from Urban Dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gay%20face

"the use of certain expressions can become ingrained in the musculature of the face over time. Since effeminate gay men utilize similar facial expressions as women, they develop female aging and muscle contraction patterns in their face. For example, gay face includes tightness around the mouth from pursing the lips, a facial expression common to gay men and women... Gay face includes an eye expression that is surprised looking... Eyebrows are usually arched higher than that of straight men..."

Google Image Search for Gay Face:

Younger Guy:

Older Guy:

The Author of the Article!

9/28/13 10:44 PM
Klein Helmer

What?  You pixies read this and have to nervously check your reflection?

9/29/13 11:49 AM
Dr Rhett Henley

could you please post a picture of yourself OP?
9/29/13 11:51 AM
Dr Rhett Henley

I think you need to relax your facial muscles by not sucking so much cock..would eliminate a lot of your "gay face"
9/29/13 11:57 AM
HereWeAre

I've always said this was a thing but I always noticed the gay smile. 

9/30/13 2:37 AM
Klein Helmer

Dr Rhett Henley - could you please post a picture of yourself OP?

Could you post a response relevant to the topic of gay face, gay face?

9/30/13 2:38 AM
Klein Helmer

Edited: 09/30/13 2:46 AM
Dr Rhett Henley - I think you need to relax your facial muscles by not sucking so much cock..would eliminate a lot of your "gay face"

Yes.  This is fresh material.

Do you have an agent?

You should really have an agent.

9/30/13 2:40 AM
Klein Helmer

MARC BULGER -  Only visible in flaming homos. Phone Post

Had you read anything from resources posted, you would know this to be untrue, you fucking jake.

9/30/13 2:45 AM
SlickPacific

Of all the things to boggle your mind. The "gay face" is probably caused by overload of estrogen.
9/30/13 2:51 AM
Klein Helmer

SlickPacific - Of all the things to boggle your mind. The "gay face" is probably caused by overload of estrogen.

I cannot speak to that, but assuming this to be the case, what is the physical manifestation of said overload?

That is the question I am seeking to answer - What is it in gay face that betrays the gay?

9/30/13 2:51 AM
PeteyWheatstraw
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought they did that expression on purpose to look "sassy".
9/30/13 2:52 AM
invalid
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PeteyWheatstraw - I thought they did that expression on purpose to look "sassy".

No I do duckface instead Haaaaaaaaay

9/30/13 2:55 AM
Klein Helmer

PeteyWheatstraw - I thought they did that expression on purpose to look "sassy".

It's not just an expression though.  Did you read the exerpts I posted?  The researchers controlled for this.

"Rule and Ambady conducted a second experiment that controlled for such extraneous variables as self-presentation and hairstyle... 'by using photos of gay and straight individuals that they themselves did not post, we were able to remove the influence of self-presentation and much of the potential selection bias...'  the participants were able to identify the gay faces at levels greater than chance..."

"in an even more rigorously controlled series of experiments... researchers demonstrated that perceivers were able to do this even when they were shown only individual features of the target's face... "

This may be the great mystery of our time.

9/30/13 3:02 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Each of those three guys in the OP photos look queerer than a $3 bill.
9/30/13 3:03 AM
Klein Helmer

Invisible Lats Syndrome - Each of those three guys in the OP photos look queerer than a $3 bill.

Right.  But WHY???

9/30/13 3:15 AM
Ch1ef
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same reason you can tell that a 6 year old boy is going to be gay. There are nuances detected that we don't perceive. I can have a conversation with my dog while talking to my neighbor without him realizing it. Phone Post
9/30/13 3:18 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Klein Helmer - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome - Each of those three guys in the OP photos look queerer than a $3 bill.

Right.  But WHY???

I don't know exactly, but I can tell you with full confidence that the Democrats are behind it.
9/30/13 3:19 AM
Klein Helmer

Ch1ef -  Same reason you can tell that a 6 year old boy is going to be gay. There are nuances detected that we don't perceive. I can have a conversation with my dog while talking to my neighbor without him realizing it. Phone Post

But if these nuances exist, why can't we quantify them?

How does gay face defy classification?

9/30/13 3:21 AM
Klein Helmer

Invisible Lats Syndrome - 
Klein Helmer - 

Right.  But WHY???

I don't know exactly, but I can tell you with full confidence that the Democrats are behind it.

9/30/13 3:22 AM
Bucephalus

9/30/13 3:30 AM
Ch1ef
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe you can't quantity the nuances because they are more culturally subjective than empirical.

I doubt a homosexual in a tribal rainforest makes the same "oopsies" face as a gay guy in Los Angeles. Phone Post
9/30/13 3:36 AM
Klein Helmer

Ch1ef -  Maybe you can't quantity the nuances because they are more culturally subjective than empirical.

I doubt a homosexual in a tribal rainforest makes the same "oopsies" face as a gay guy in Los Angeles. Phone Post

Even if these nuances are culturally subjective, it makes no sense that they resist description. 

The article I posted and the studies described therein also address your concern regarding the "oopsies" face.

9/30/13 3:36 AM
Bucephalus

Ch1ef -  Maybe you can't quantity the nuances because they are more culturally subjective than empirical.

Oh really?

9/30/13 3:38 AM
Bucephalus

Whether the fruit grows in America soil or on another continent, an apple is still an apple.
9/30/13 3:40 AM
Klein Helmer

Bucephalus - 

Oh really?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.