UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coach: Gustafsson probably the best boxing in MMA

9/29/13 10:48 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Alexander Gustafsson’s trainer and Alliance MMA head coach Eric Del Fierro recently apeared on Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show for a wide-ranging interview.

“I think it’s the whole evolution of his game that helped him not allow Jones to set his takedowns up," said Del Fierro. "His boxing is bar none probably the best in the sport right now. You hit these little short angles that people aren’t noticing, it’s a lot harder to take these guys down. Wrestling in MMA, sometimes it’s predictable. We can see certain things that we can counter and build Alex’s defense on, but he’s such a phenomenal athlete and just a hard worker that even if he doesn’t have the perfect technique, he’ll work his way out of it. And more than anything, it’s just the confidence in knowing, ‘OK, I know how to stuff the takedown. I just need to go in there and do it.’”

“The confidence came to us from stopping the takedowns. The main thing we had to get in Alex’s head is once you stop the takedowns, you can do whatever you want and let’s pressure forward. That’s what we were looking to get in Alex’s mind. Trust me, Alex has evolved as a mixed martial artist and his wrestling has came up leaps and bounds. … We established our range. We established our rhythm. We know where we have our advantages. Now once we stop the takedowns, let’s go forward and grind this guy. I knew we had a definite advantage in the boxing. The cut, it’s not an end-all to the fight. We just knew we’ve got to keep the pressure on and go forward now.”

“One thing we had to take away right away was [Jones’] ability to maintain the range with push kicks and just let him know that, hey, no matter what, you’re in a fight. Whether you’re winning or losing, you’re going to be in a fight. That’s what we were trying to do. I think fighting is the ability to take the other person off their game a little bit, even if it’s for a couple of seconds out of each round. We were just trying to establish a rhythm, establish a pace and keep Jones from being offensive. We were trying to be first on everything.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

9/29/13 11:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respectfully, no sir. It's not. It's not "bar none" or "the best" or even "close to the best". It's good. I'll give you that much. Like a B average if we were issuing grades.

9/29/13 12:09 PM
temujen
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure -

Respectfully, no sir. It's not. It's not "bar none" or "the best" or even "close to the best". It's good. I'll give you that much. Like a B average if we were issuing grades.

Who would you say is better?

I'd put BJ, KJ Noons, AS above him, and I'm sure I'm missing a handful but Gus did look very sharp with his head movement, footwork and counters. Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:17 PM
CaptChaos

Both Gus and Jones learned a lot about each other in this fight. I don't think Ones anticipated not being able to take Gus down and Gus probably thought it would be hard defending the TD.

The rematch will be interesting to say the least.
9/29/13 12:17 PM
OneSidedWar

Theres quite a few better boxers (especially at the lighter weights). Im not going to list them but I think he meant to say, "better boxing then Jon Jones in that fight".....i hope... Phone Post
9/29/13 12:26 PM
Doc T
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mousasi has incredibly technical boxing, as well as Pat Curran. Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:57 PM
BernardHopkins

9/29/13 1:13 PM
JStrongMMA
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He might be the best boxer at 205 but it's hard to say he is a better boxer than smaller guys like Edgar who have incredible speed and head movement. Phone Post
9/29/13 1:15 PM
ThatPissCouldaBeenDigital
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

temujen - 
Authority Figure -

I'd put BJ, KJ Noons, AS above him, and I'm sure I'm missing a handful but Gus did look very sharp with his head movement, footwork and counters. Phone Post 3.0

Jorge Masvidal out-boxed Noons easily, and Nick Diaz and Frankie Edgar both out-boxed BJ. GSP is up there only because of his jab. Nobody goes to the body better than Diaz in MMA, but as far as best boxer in the sport? Nobody glaringly stands out to me. Anderson is more muay thai than boxing.
I want to see a mixed martial artist with: Junior's uppercut, Johnny Hendricks' left hook, Chuck's overhand right, Nick Diaz' body shots & cardio/workrate, GSP's jab, Anderson's head movement, Frankie's footwork, BJ's killer instinct, and Hunt's chin. That would be the best boxer in MMA.
9/29/13 1:16 PM
TheHaunted2

He shows a serious hole in his game that will be exploited.

Has anyone ever noticed after he throws a powerful cross he ends up switching feet after throwing it? Phone Post
9/29/13 1:24 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Bisping is hysterical right now. Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 1:40 PM
razrtyrone

kinda like parents saying their son is best at such and such, it's his trainer speaking so, meh
9/29/13 1:44 PM
Il Duce
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BernardHopkins -

False. Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 2:18 PM
BernardHopkins

Edited: 09/29/13 2:19 PM
InteSaSerios - 
BernardHopkins - 

lol what.

He threw a Bunch of straight rights to the body..

yea...maybe should have said that a lil different but..

look at nick and nate diaz

anyone can throw a straight punch to the body, it takes no skill.

throwing combos with hooks to the body takes boxing skill

i cant remember gus throwing any combo with a bodyshot in it at all

Nick Diaz works Santos with combos

thats boxing

9/29/13 4:00 PM
shaqitup
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

temujen - 
Authority Figure -

kj noons can't even win standup fights these days, how is he a better boxer?

9/29/13 4:39 PM
BeatonHauff
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Junior is a good boxer, but he doesn't have much variety in his striking. Just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 5:54 PM
rumble_fish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/29/13 6:12 PM
edit
9/29/13 7:01 PM
kingkoopa

BernardHopkins -
InteSaSerios - 
BernardHopkins - 

lol what.

thats boxing

Both diaz have horrible foot work and head movement. They just plod forward.
Frankie probably had the best mma boxing Phone Post
9/29/13 7:51 PM
Bobby Lupo
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie Edgar, Alessio Sakara, Mousasi and Rampage all have better boxing. Rampage just stopped caring. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 10:47 AM
Toquinho
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

James toney = beft two sport afleet Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 10:54 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BernardHopkins -
InteSaSerios - 
BernardHopkins - 

lol what.

thats boxing

There are a few occasions he went head, body, head. Not much of a combo... but a combo is a combo. Phone Post
9/30/13 12:31 PM
Ministry of Truth

Outlaw'd by Lytle - Bisping is hysterical right now. Phone Post 3.0

And that has nothing to do with this thread!
9/30/13 12:40 PM
CiganoBoxer

U know JDS won a ufc title with boxing as his main base...JDS for me .
9/30/13 3:53 PM
Bobby Lupo
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CiganoBoxer - U know JDS won a ufc title with boxing as his main base...JDS for me .

He's a good-for-MMA boxer. He's probably the most dangerous striker in MMA—he killed Mark Hunt to death standing, but his style and attributes would get him worked over by journeyman boxers at super middlemiddleweight.

9/30/13 5:36 PM
Bobby Lupo

Cutman - Alex Gustafsson is probably one of the five best boxers in mma, anyone in the top 5 can be in the number one spot any given day.

Keep in mind that when someone say a Great boxer, They should include these things into their formula ; Footwork and Angles,
Defense and Chin,
Knockout ability,Power and Flow,Speed.
Aggressiveness and Accuracy.
Feints and the ability to adapt midfight.
Guts,Will power and Intelligence.
Controlling the range. and a whole lot more!

Boxing in MMA is very different from original Boxing. Not just in the stance, style or rules.
An ability to make people not being able to guess what punch is coming next is a big important thing, especially in MMA were you can counter in so many more ways than boxing.

Would be cool if someone who really knew what they´re talking about would post in this thread since it's a lot of nonsense so far, no offense guys. I love you.

Hi Alex, welcome to the UG

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.