UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My fighter friend Celine in trouble! :( pls help

9/30/13 4:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Simen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan -
RearNakedToke - It's crazy how when a foreigner does something to a Japanese person (ie a break-in, or crime) they go full force at the offender and try to shame them as much as they can. Yet when a gaijin gets screwed over people put their head in the sand and hope the problem just goes away. I loved living in Japan but sometimes that place pisses me off too. Phone Post 3.0
She screwed herself by fighting without any medical insurance. Phone Post 3.0
Not completely certain, but i would be suprised if any norwegian company would offer affordable insurance for mma fighters. You dont need insurance for treatment in norway, and i think the only insurance that covers treatment abroad is your travel insurance. And they dont cover injuries from certain activities. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 4:27 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - 
RearNakedToke -
Bellator Fan -
RearNakedToke - It's crazy how when a foreigner does something to a Japanese person (ie a break-in, or crime) they go full force at the offender and try to shame them as much as they can. Yet when a gaijin gets screwed over people put their head in the sand and hope the problem just goes away. I loved living in Japan but sometimes that place pisses me off too. Phone Post 3.0
She screwed herself by fighting without any medical insurance. Phone Post 3.0
I'm speaking in generalities Bjorn Phone Post 3.0
What an original response!!!! Phone Post 3.0

He should have been clever and called you Bjork, like BLAF did.

9/30/13 4:32 PM
mendelson
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are we not publicly shaming the promoter? What is the number to reach him/ her? What is the email address? Let's give this slime all the OG treatment in a ferocious way!! Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 4:37 PM
Chromium
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This should probably be front-paged. A major regional promotion not insuring their fighters during an actual fight is a news item I'd think.

Anyway the promoter is Deep MMA. They way to shame them would be through Japanese fans, since that's their fanbase, and in the Japanese language. If anyone knows how to work that, I'd be curious. Is there an MMA subboard on 2channel or something?

9/30/13 4:43 PM
Foos
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mendelson - Why are we not publicly shaming the promoter? What is the number to reach him/ her? What is the email address? Let's give this slime all the OG treatment in a ferocious way!! Phone Post 3.0

I think most of the responsibility should be on the fighter. The fighter should not be fighting without insurance.

Let's be realistic here, there is very little money in promoting fights. There's a good chance the promoter lost money on this card and doesn't have anywhere near $15,000 to give to one of its fighters.
9/30/13 4:46 PM
caseharts
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Chromium -

This should probably be front-paged. A major regional promotion not insuring their fighters during an actual fight is a news item I'd think.

Anyway the promoter is Deep MMA. They way to shame them would be through Japanese fans, since that's their fanbase, and in the Japanese language. If anyone knows how to work that, I'd be curious. Is there an MMA subboard on 2channel or something?

We need Japanese ugers Phone Post
9/30/13 4:46 PM
caseharts
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Foos -
mendelson - Why are we not publicly shaming the promoter? What is the number to reach him/ her? What is the email address? Let's give this slime all the OG treatment in a ferocious way!! Phone Post 3.0

I think most of the responsibility should be on the fighter. The fighter should not be fighting without insurance.

Let's be realistic here, there is very little money in promoting fights. There's a good chance the promoter lost money on this card and doesn't have anywhere near $15,000 to give to one of its fighters.
Your right but did the promoter offer insurance or no? We need details Phone Post
9/30/13 4:55 PM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/30/13 5:08 PM

Such bullshit. Promoters really need to carry insurance to cover this kind of thing. 

Donation made and I hope Celine makes a speedy recovery.

Not that it will help but if any of the UG detectives can get some contact info I'm sure the UG mob would be happy to light the torches.

Heres the info from Wiki.

Type Private
Industry Mixed martial arts promotion
Predecessor(s) Smackgirl
Founded October 2008
Headquarters Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
Area served Japan
Key people Yuichi Ozono (president)
Shigeru Saeki (supervisor)
Parent Marverous Japan Co.,Ltd.
Website http://w-jewels.jp/

Twitter https://twitter.com/JEWELS_info

9/30/13 5:13 PM
Bingo'ed in Brazil
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Done

Good luck Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 5:20 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman -
esque - Very sad to hear. Norwegian insurance is usually really good. Weird that it wouldn't cover at least some of the cost. Phone Post
She isnt in norway.

I agree with Kirik. How the fuck is the promotion not paying for injuries sustained in a fight? Phone Post
I don't think many do. I know that Bellator and MFC have both caught shit over their champions soliciting donations for medical costs incurred during a fight. Phone Post
9/30/13 5:21 PM
Letibleu
1669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ray Elbe - 
Letibleu -
Kirik - 

This is one of many reasons why this sport needs regulation everywhere. It is unconscionable that Jewels is not picking up the costs for an injury sustained in a fight.

If a fighter has to leave their country for an event they must make sure they are insured either through the event insurance or through their own. This is also where a good manager would be useful.An event flying in a fighter from Norway but not insuring them for the event is unreal.

In this case hind sight is 20/20, what is done is done.

Pressure needs to be put on the promoter to make things right.

I hope she makes a full recovery. I also hope her bill works out either through the generocity of fans and businesses or through the promotion owning up to its short comings (and making them right).

I have close to $30,000 worth of unpaid medical bills due to my fight career. Total Combat, Rage In The Cage, etc all told me I was "covered" by event insurance...only to have the insurance companies actively look for loop holes not to pay.

In fact my medical bills for TUF 9 are the only medical bills from fighting that a promotion has ever actually paid without letting it go to collections Phone Post 3.0

This is the real issue us fans should be taking up as a cause on the boards, not what Dana White had for breakfast or how menstrated Ronda Rousey is.

While I do believe it unfortunately falls on the fighter to be vigilant about where they fight and how they are covered, fans should retain a certain sense of responsibility towards a medical norm in their respective countries. 

Is it like this for all fighters? 

9/30/13 5:23 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman -
esque - Very sad to hear. Norwegian insurance is usually really good. Weird that it wouldn't cover at least some of the cost. Phone Post
She isnt in norway.

I agree with Kirik. How the fuck is the promotion not paying for injuries sustained in a fight? Phone Post
I don't think many do. I know that Bellator and MFC have both caught shit over their champions soliciting donations for medical costs incurred during a fight. Phone Post
We should get it mandated Phone Post
9/30/13 6:21 PM
MIB Got to Me
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Done

Hope she recovers soon Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 6:21 PM
LiveToFightInc
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Live To Fight Inc., President/CEO

ttt

9/30/13 6:31 PM
UGCTT croy_00
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We need moar!

$1,510 raised by 36 people in 2 days.

9/30/13 7:37 PM
yunshan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Donated.
9/30/13 7:58 PM
Rox19
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - No one should be fighting or training without insurance of their own. Phone Post 3.0

You're telling me! Before I moved from Japan back to the US, I applied for American insurance and was DENIED because of my record of examinations from fighting. :( Now I have no insurance and it freaks me the hell out.....
9/30/13 8:01 PM
dawley
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

This is one of many reasons why this sport needs regulation everywhere. It is unconscionable that Jewels is not picking up the costs for an injury sustained in a fight.

Post of the year c Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 8:32 PM
Shogun of Harlem
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Averaging about $42 per person. If 324 more people donate, she will have it.

Lets really show the power of the OG.
9/30/13 8:45 PM
MIB Got to Me
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some Guy That Tattooed Katie -
Shogun of Harlem - Averaging about $42 per person. If 324 more people donate, she will have it.

Lets really show the power of the OG.
Let me start by saying nobody wants to see injuries in any sport and I hope this girl heals soon and come back strong but I dislike posts like this which now seen to happen every month.

If people want to donate that's fine but she really should have been more responsible and had herself covered. She knew the risks, now that she has been caught out if she needs help her friends and family should be assisting.

Anyone that feels happy to donate by all means go for it but encouraging people to donate to the cause rubs me the wrong way. Phone Post 3.0
There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to donate. I would hope that if I was ever in a situation where I needed help,even if it was something I could have avoided, there might be people who feel a random act of kindness might bring some good karma. A donation is what you want to give, not what you have to give.

I respect your opinion though. I just like helping people if I can. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 8:48 PM
Elyrain
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I had to guess, going out on a limb here, I would say that 75% of pro fighters don't have insurance, except the crap insurance they MAY get from the promotion they are fighting in.

9/30/13 8:58 PM
FABombDropper

This sounds bad, but there needs to be some personal accountability. I really hope she gets donations, but who fights in a show that doesn't offer insurance in a country they aren't covered in? It's a guaranteed hospital trip. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 9:01 PM
CrocopPleaseRetire
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, sad news. I will donate as I get to a
computer. I wish her a speed recovery as well. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 9:12 PM
time traveling 12er
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FABombDropper - This sounds bad, but there needs to be some personal accountability. I really hope she gets donations, but who fights in a show that doesn't offer insurance in a country they aren't covered in? It's a guaranteed hospital trip. Phone Post 3.0

Personal accountability? For what? You don't think she would have just bought insurance if it was that easy and affordable? Like she just forgot or something?

I'm not a fighter so I don't know how it works, but I'm going to guess it's not that easy to get health insurance when your job is getting smashed in the face and having your joints intentionally twisted around.

There are lots of fighters on here, how does it work? Do most shows provide insurance? Will a countries national health care cover injuries from fights? What if the fight is out of the country?

Even beside all of this, a shattered orbital and retinal damage is not common in this sport in general and even less common in WMMA. There aren't many injuries that would keep you from flying to your own country for treatment. It's a rather rare and unfortunate set of circumstances and it's kind of douchey to act like someone should have seen this coming.

The best of luck to her, I hope she gets better.
9/30/13 9:24 PM
time traveling 12er
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some Guy That Tattooed Katie - It's douchey to think that there will be injuries in a full contact combat sport such as MMA?

If she runs the risk of no insurance that's on her. Don't then ask strangers for cash to pay for your mistake.

There is far more deserving people in the world that could use the money than a person that through their own decisions chose to enter a fight and was injured. Phone Post 3.0

Not at all what I said. Read it again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.