UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My fighter friend Celine in trouble! :( pls help

9/30/13 9:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FABombDropper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er -
FABombDropper - This sounds bad, but there needs to be some personal accountability. I really hope she gets donations, but who fights in a show that doesn't offer insurance in a country they aren't covered in? It's a guaranteed hospital trip. Phone Post 3.0

Personal accountability? For what? You don't think she would have just bought insurance if it was that easy and affordable? Like she just forgot or something?

I'm not a fighter so I don't know how it works, but I'm going to guess it's not that easy to get health insurance when your job is getting smashed in the face and having your joints intentionally twisted around.

There are lots of fighters on here, how does it work? Do most shows provide insurance? Will a countries national health care cover injuries from fights? What if the fight is out of the country?

Even beside all of this, a shattered orbital and retinal damage is not common in this sport in general and even less common in WMMA. There aren't many injuries that would keep you from flying to your own country for treatment. It's a rather rare and unfortunate set of circumstances and it's kind of douchey to act like someone should have seen this coming.

The best of luck to her, I hope she gets better.
I would walk into an MMA fight assuming I will need to seek medical assistance afterwards. If I knew I didn't have the insurance for that, and still fight, I am personally accountable.

If I want to ghost ride my 4 wheeler off a cliff for a vine video and tell my insurance company my plan and they refuse to insure me...

Pretty good chance the quad will break, so if I do it, do I then just come here and ask for money towards a new quad? I would expect you guys to tell me to fuck myself. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 10:00 PM
rbl
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surely the promoter would not bend the truth in order to get her to fight. That never happens.

/SARCASM

Some of you are way to quick to judge. If you've ever tried to get a straight answer from an insurance company, or been told about the five star accommodation and fat, injured opponent you'll be facing on some shady promoter's show you'll know this is not always as simple as "take responsibility". Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 10:27 PM
Foos
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rox19 - 
Bellator Fan - No one should be fighting or training without insurance of their own. Phone Post 3.0

You're telling me! Before I moved from Japan back to the US, I applied for American insurance and was DENIED because of my record of examinations from fighting. :( Now I have no insurance and it freaks me the hell out.....

Damn that's crazy. Health insurance seems like it should be mandatory to have if you're a fighter.
9/30/13 10:28 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rox19 - 
Bellator Fan - No one should be fighting or training without insurance of their own. Phone Post 3.0

You're telling me! Before I moved from Japan back to the US, I applied for American insurance and was DENIED because of my record of examinations from fighting. :( Now I have no insurance and it freaks me the hell out.....

Under the Affordable Care Act insurance companies won't be allowed to deny you outright starting January 1st...

(unless the GOP manages to filibuster it out of existence like they keep trying to do).

9/30/13 10:34 PM
time traveling 12er
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FABombDropper - 
time traveling 12er -
FABombDropper - This sounds bad, but there needs to be some personal accountability. I really hope she gets donations, but who fights in a show that doesn't offer insurance in a country they aren't covered in? It's a guaranteed hospital trip. Phone Post 3.0

Personal accountability? For what? You don't think she would have just bought insurance if it was that easy and affordable? Like she just forgot or something?

I'm not a fighter so I don't know how it works, but I'm going to guess it's not that easy to get health insurance when your job is getting smashed in the face and having your joints intentionally twisted around.

There are lots of fighters on here, how does it work? Do most shows provide insurance? Will a countries national health care cover injuries from fights? What if the fight is out of the country?

Even beside all of this, a shattered orbital and retinal damage is not common in this sport in general and even less common in WMMA. There aren't many injuries that would keep you from flying to your own country for treatment. It's a rather rare and unfortunate set of circumstances and it's kind of douchey to act like someone should have seen this coming.

I would walk into an MMA fight assuming I will need to seek medical assistance afterwards. If I knew I didn't have the insurance for that, and still fight, I am personally accountable.

If I want to ghost ride my 4 wheeler off a cliff for a vine video and tell my insurance company my plan and they refuse to insure me...

Pretty good chance the quad will break, so if I do it, do I then just come here and ask for money towards a new quad? I would expect you guys to tell me to fuck myself. Phone Post 3.0

Sooo... you're telling me that every fighter that ever enters the octagon should assume that they're going to receive injury sufficient that they cannot take a flight home to take care of it there? Also Lol at comparing MMA to driving a quad off a cliff. Obviously this wasn't a normal injury and very far from the expected outcome of fighting.

I'm not sure how it is as a fighter. Does every responsible fighter get insurance before their fight? Is is it even realistic? These are questions people should know the answer to before suggesting things like personal accountability.
9/30/13 10:41 PM
MatrixkickedTheRedOut
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some Guy That Tattooed Katie - It's douchey to think that there will be injuries in a full contact combat sport such as MMA?

If she runs the risk of no insurance that's on her. Don't then ask strangers for cash to pay for your mistake.

There is far more deserving people in the world that could use the money than a person that through their own decisions chose to enter a fight and was injured. Phone Post 3.0

It's up to each individual to decide to whom to give.  If you don't think she is deserving that's your choice but I'm curious what purpose it serves to to post in the negative on this thread?  

9/30/13 10:43 PM
MatrixkickedTheRedOut
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MatrixkickedTheRedOut - 
Some Guy That Tattooed Katie - It's douchey to think that there will be injuries in a full contact combat sport such as MMA?

If she runs the risk of no insurance that's on her. Don't then ask strangers for cash to pay for your mistake.

There is far more deserving people in the world that could use the money than a person that through their own decisions chose to enter a fight and was injured. Phone Post 3.0

It's up to each individual to decide to whom to give.  If you don't think she is deserving that's your choice but I'm curious what purpose it serves to to post in the negative on this thread?  

And just to be clear, I agree with you that she willingly made the choice to fight.  We don't know all of the facts on what she was promised but to me it doesn't matter.  

9/30/13 10:43 PM
FABombDropper

time traveling 12er -
FABombDropper - 
time traveling 12er -

Sooo... you're telling me that every fighter that ever enters the octagon should assume that they're going to receive injury sufficient that they cannot take a flight home to take care of it there? Also Lol at comparing MMA to driving a quad off a cliff. Obviously this wasn't a normal injury and very far from the expected outcome of fighting.

I'm not sure how it is as a fighter. Does every responsible fighter get insurance before their fight? Is is it even realistic? These are questions people should know the answer to before suggesting things like personal accountability.
Yes, I am saying that everytime you step in the ring, you should expect to be in the hospital afterwards. Sorry the quad comparison escaped you, I'll Barney it up. You choose to do something with a high probability of damage, don't be surprised when there is damage. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 10:44 PM
FABombDropper

And if you can't get insurance, you might want to "not fight". Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 11:01 PM
rbl
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FABombDropper - And if you can't get insurance, you might want to "not fight". Phone Post 3.0
We have no idea if she thought she was covered or not. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 11:08 PM
time traveling 12er
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FABombDropper - 
time traveling 12er -
FABombDropper - 
time traveling 12er -

Yes, I am saying that everytime you step in the ring, you should expect to be in the hospital afterwards. Sorry the quad comparison escaped you, I'll Barney it up. You choose to do something with a high probability of damage, don't be surprised when there is damage. Phone Post 3.0

The problem you're still having is that even if she broke both her arms and knocked all her teeth out she would have been able to fly home and get her free healthcare. You're still acting like a retna damaged enough to disallow air travel should be an expected thing for every fighter when clearly it's not. Is that simple enough for you?

On top of that are you even sure it's easy to get health insurance as a fighter? There are lots of professions where it's nearly impossible to get health insurance. You're suggesting any fighter that walks into a cage without health insurance is stupid when the reality may be everyone outside the UFC may not be able to get it. Anyways I've thread-shitted enough. Sorry to everyone else. I hope whoever can donates.
9/30/13 11:28 PM
sacredhate
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so many people on the OG and UG willing to support a cause in general....i've seen incredible acts of generosity on this forum in the past.

somehow this plea for help has garnered what i feel is an underwhelming response. less that $1000. raised in the 18 hours since i first saw this and donated.

fellow members, please, if you signed the petition to get Rox in the UFC, put a few dollars towards helping out her friend.

For those with greater means, certainly this is a cause worthy of your interests...this is the kind of request i've been led to believe that the mma community at large, but this place specifically, can rally behind.
9/30/13 11:41 PM
FABombDropper

time traveling 12er -
FABombDropper - 
time traveling 12er -
FABombDropper - 
time traveling 12er -

The problem you're still having is that even if she broke both her arms and knocked all her teeth out she would have been able to fly home and get her free healthcare. You're still acting like a retna damaged enough to disallow air travel should be an expected thing for every fighter when clearly it's not. Is that simple enough for you?

On top of that are you even sure it's easy to get health insurance as a fighter? There are lots of professions where it's nearly impossible to get health insurance. You're suggesting any fighter that walks into a cage without health insurance is stupid when the reality may be everyone outside the UFC may not be able to get it. Anyways I've thread-shitted enough. Sorry to everyone else. I hope whoever can donates.
If your plan is to fly to another country for medical coverage after a professional fight....

Darwin Award!

But, as stated, if she thought she was covered and the promotion screwed her, I could see asking for help.

Lol @ arguing for the plan to fly thousands of miles after a professional fight for medical coverage. Boy are you making me feel dumb. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 11:58 PM
Kramnik

Is it possible to donate via PayPal?
10/1/13 12:05 AM
sacredhate
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think people realize how close the average person is from the fine print of something they've done, or signed in their life changing it's trajectory significantly.

Admittedly i'm just a guy, approaching 40, thinking about the number of times lady luck played out in my favor, and reflecting on them, and also, the times when the coin flipped the other way and how when i was alone, it sucked, and how at time, the generosity of family, friends, and strangers made all the difference.

I believe in second chances. I believe that good people make mistakes and foolish decisions. I think sometimes people just follow what their peers are doing and don't worry about the consequences because if everyone else is cool then i should be too.

I know, that every once in a while, you end up being the exception to the rule. That you end up being the 1 in million.....and the consequences can be severe. Unless you live a life in fear and paranoia, and never strive for anything, eventually you end up taking a chance, going out a on limb, and doing something that you'll need some help recovering from if it goes wrong.

As a father of 2 daughters that i hope have the courage to take some risks in their lifetime I ask that folks don't consider this some big ethical dilemna. I would ask people to think "if a member of my community needed some help would i give them $10-$15 or more in an effort to help them out no matter how badly they had erred?".

this is not just a forum. it's a community. I buy chocolates from my neighbors son, magazines from my co-workers daughter, and cookies from girl scouts not because i believe passionately in any of those...but because i believe that a community does what it can to support it's members.
10/1/13 12:10 AM
MatrixkickedTheRedOut

Kramnik - Is it possible to donate via PayPal?

Yes.  On the site click on donate, after an initial information page it will direct you to paypal.

10/1/13 12:10 AM
FABombDropper

I like your attitude on community support. I wouldn't call needing medical attention after a professional MMA fight an exception to the rule or 1 in a million, but I dig the rest. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 12:17 AM
time traveling 12er

Ok so according to you MMA fighting is a brutal sport in which a crushed orbital and detached retna is a totally expected result. In fact it's almost laughably irresponsible for fighters to not expect this outcome. The whole thing is not so different then just running an atv off a cliff. Then you go expect insurance companies to just give out insurance to these people for a reasonable rate? Lol. If you're going to argue that the sport is that dangerous, how can you then argue that getting insurance for that same dangerous sport be a trivial matter?
10/1/13 12:37 AM
SD CARTEL
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was/am very impressed by the human being that Rox is. This level of coolness existed way before the show and was translated over the years via her posts here. Thus I must help her friend. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 12:42 AM
Johnny Ringo
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Let's do this guys, even if everyone gives $5 it's nothing to us and it means the world to her.

Help spread the word! Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 12:59 AM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Donated
10/1/13 1:11 AM
Shogun of Harlem
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some Guy That Tattooed Katie - 
Shogun of Harlem - Averaging about $42 per person. If 324 more people donate, she will have it.

Lets really show the power of the OG.
Let me start by saying nobody wants to see injuries in any sport and I hope this girl heals soon and come back strong but I dislike posts like this which now seen to happen every month.

If people want to donate that's fine but she really should have been more responsible and had herself covered. She knew the risks, now that she has been caught out if she needs help her friends and family should be assisting.

Anyone that feels happy to donate by all means go for it but encouraging people to donate to the cause rubs me the wrong way. Phone Post 3.0

VTFD - if you don't want to or can't - then don't. If you are going to come on here and be negative, then be quiet.

However, if you apologize and admit you are shallow and short sighted - I will donate an additional $10 in your name.
10/1/13 1:14 AM
Shogun of Harlem
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ And I don't know if it is a self generating email, but I received this from her:

thank you, i appreciate the support..i dont know u but i will write down your name! i will not let myself forget who did support me through hard times .. thank u

Regardless, this is one of the times that people actually need a donation. If you can't distinguish between the two, then I feel sorry for you.
10/1/13 1:19 AM
time traveling 12er

Lol, I probably shouldn't have listed my name as F the UG then.
10/1/13 1:21 AM
aNutterFedorFan
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sacredhate - I don't think people realize how close the average person is from the fine print of something they've done, or signed in their life changing it's trajectory significantly.

Admittedly i'm just a guy, approaching 40, thinking about the number of times lady luck played out in my favor, and reflecting on them, and also, the times when the coin flipped the other way and how when i was alone, it sucked, and how at time, the generosity of family, friends, and strangers made all the difference.

I believe in second chances. I believe that good people make mistakes and foolish decisions. I think sometimes people just follow what their peers are doing and don't worry about the consequences because if everyone else is cool then i should be too.

I know, that every once in a while, you end up being the exception to the rule. That you end up being the 1 in million.....and the consequences can be severe. Unless you live a life in fear and paranoia, and never strive for anything, eventually you end up taking a chance, going out a on limb, and doing something that you'll need some help recovering from if it goes wrong.

As a father of 2 daughters that i hope have the courage to take some risks in their lifetime I ask that folks don't consider this some big ethical dilemna. I would ask people to think "if a member of my community needed some help would i give them $10-$15 or more in an effort to help them out no matter how badly they had erred?".

this is not just a forum. it's a community. I buy chocolates from my neighbors son, magazines from my co-workers daughter, and cookies from girl scouts not because i believe passionately in any of those...but because i believe that a community does what it can to support it's members.
VU Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.