UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My fighter friend Celine in trouble! :( pls help

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/1/13 6:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ray Elbe
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not paying a medical bill is unsecured debt...not a crime where you can be thrown in prison. They can not prevent you from entering or leaving the country either. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 7:00 AM
Phyrro
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SD CARTEL - I was/am very impressed by the human being that Rox is. This level of coolness existed way before the show and was translated over the years via her posts here. Thus I must help her friend. Phone Post 3.0

This^^
I couldn't chip in that much but every little bit adds up. Hope yer friend hits her target.
10/1/13 7:38 AM
FABombDropper
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - Ok so according to you MMA fighting is a brutal sport in which a crushed orbital and detached retna is a totally expected result. In fact it's almost laughably irresponsible for fighters to not expect this outcome. The whole thing is not so different then just running an atv off a cliff. Then you go expect insurance companies to just give out insurance to these people for a reasonable rate? Lol. If you're going to argue that the sport is that dangerous, how can you then argue that getting insurance for that same dangerous sport be a trivial matter?
Whoa there genius.

UFC 165...
6 60 day medical suspensions.
3 30 day medical suspensions.
All the rest, 14 days precautionary.

I'm going to guess 100% of the fighters were seen by a doctor afterwards to be safe. As a person, taking care of yourself, you should be prepared to take care of yourself after a fight.

Please, tunnel vision on the probability of the specific injury to make your case. Sorry the quad analogy escaped you, however, I'm not really surprised at this point. But, to back you up, no, driving a quad and fighting are not the same thing. You really showed me. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 8:37 AM
Fight! UK Online
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, met Celine in Sweden with Hellboy a few years ago and she was cool. Shame that has happened. Will definitely donate later!

10/1/13 8:47 AM
OneSidedWar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Celine & Roxy! Phone Post
10/1/13 9:18 AM
Shogun of Harlem
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ray Elbe - Not paying a medical bill is unsecured debt...not a crime where you can be thrown in prison. They can not prevent you from entering or leaving the country either. Phone Post 3.0

I think she mentioned that she cannot fly with her orbital bone broken. It may have to do with the altitude and air pressure. I am not a doctor, though.
10/1/13 9:38 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

mendelson - Why are we not publicly shaming the promoter? What is the number to reach him/ her? What is the email address? Let's give this slime all the OG treatment in a ferocious way!! Phone Post 3.0
Japanese promotions are notorious for keeping their contact info hidden.

Will donate when ican. Jewels need to be shamed for this. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 10:48 AM
Ray Elbe
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun of Harlem -
Ray Elbe - Not paying a medical bill is unsecured debt...not a crime where you can be thrown in prison. They can not prevent you from entering or leaving the country either. Phone Post 3.0

I think she mentioned that she cannot fly with her orbital bone broken. It may have to do with the altitude and air pressure. I am not a doctor, though.
Having suffered a shattered orbital bone the pressure change is the exact reason she can't fly, however that is temporary Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 12:55 PM
Yussarian
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

This is one of many reasons why this sport needs regulation everywhere. It is unconscionable that Jewels is not picking up the costs for an injury sustained in a fight.

10/1/13 2:37 PM
Mrchopzz

Ahh that sucks
10/1/13 2:45 PM
Dougie
1227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is why promotions have health insurance...or should.
10/1/13 6:43 PM
Shogun of Harlem
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

devils advocate - 
time traveling 12er - 
devils advocate - 

donated

that's a pretty fucked up irony - if she could fly back to norway she would be covered by universal insurance there for the surgery no

why is it so bad to fly with a broken orbital?

I think it has to do with the pressure changes.

what's the worst that can happen?

Damage it beyond repair maybe?

I don't know this injury effects the eye, but I do know that Lasik surgery wasn't approved for Naval Aviators because of the chance of having a small pocket of air around the eye. Most cockpits pressurize to 5,000 MSL, meaning when you fly to 35,000 the pressure inside the aircraft is 5,000. That is a significant change.

Again, I am not a doctor, but I am a Naval Aviator who had eye surgery (PRK, not Lasik).
10/1/13 6:53 PM
soliak

Did Celine know that the organisation did not cover medical expenses when she took the fight? Is this simply a matter of the organisation not helping out?

10/1/13 9:09 PM
Rox19
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I checked and it turns out that jewels is under no legal obligation to provide medical expenses. She would have signed waivers. :( so it'd do no good to bother jewels. She's screwed.
10/1/13 10:01 PM
Blazing Knees

I don't think there's much any of us can do, as much of a shame as it is. Is there no other way to get there?
10/1/13 11:16 PM
Letibleu
1762 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any update on her condition?

10/2/13 12:32 AM
murphy365

I'd give her the d...onation, I gave a few dollars; and hope that weak joke makes someone smile at least. (Maybe it wasn't meant to be a joke at first OK.) Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 12:33 AM
Feelz Good

This thread, right now, has 17,577 views. If all those views translated to $1, this would be done. If people who have viewed this all donated $10, we'd be well over the goal by now. This is both inspiring (in effort) and pathetic in response. The total is only $3,126. We shouldn't have to do this, but we do, and easily can. If you can spare $5, do it now. I hate the WMMA fighter nuthuggers, but if this were a male fighter in an org we'd even heard of (we've all heard of Jewels), this would be done by now.

Thanks Roxanne, I did more than most, but all I could. This happening is a travesty, they should pay her medical expenses. The fact that UG's response is so minimal disappoints me, but at least you did something, and some of us responded. Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 12:40 AM
per
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just to make clarify this insurance thing for those who may not know how the healthcare system works in places like Norway:

State healthcare is free, a doctor's visit is the equivalent of a few dollars from where you get the appropriate care, be it a couple of stitches or a big operation. So it is not really a universal health insurance, it is simply free.

Everybody chooses to get personal insurance anyway of course, to cover stuff like disability, not being able to work anymore, death and so on, stuff that gives you problems still when you have left the hospital but I would assume that is much cheaper than an insurance that would have to cover the medical costs.

But as you get a normal insurance high-risk activities are excluded, that is counted as for example base jumping, rugby, martial arts competitions with full contact and various extreme sports.

I'm sure you could get insurance that covers an MMA fight but then you would have to sit down with the insurance company and negotiate something, hammer something out. It would be a process and it would probably be costly.
10/2/13 1:15 AM
Feelz Good

per - Just to make clarify this insurance thing for those who may not know how the healthcare system works in places like Norway:

State healthcare is free, a doctor's visit is the equivalent of a few dollars from where you get the appropriate care, be it a couple of stitches or a big operation. So it is not really a universal health insurance, it is simply free.

Everybody chooses to get personal insurance anyway of course, to cover stuff like disability, not being able to work anymore, death and so on, stuff that gives you problems still when you have left the hospital but I would assume that is much cheaper than an insurance that would have to cover the medical costs.

But as you get a normal insurance high-risk activities are excluded, that is counted as for example base jumping, rugby, martial arts competitions with full contact and various extreme sports.

I'm sure you could get insurance that covers an MMA fight but then you would have to sit down with the insurance company and negotiate something, hammer something out. It would be a process and it would probably be costly.
And when medical treatment is required in Japan? Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 3:00 AM
Feelz Good

Some Guy That Tattooed Katie -
Feelz Good - This thread, right now, has 17,577 views. If all those views translated to $1, this would be done. If people who have viewed this all donated $10, we'd be well over the goal by now. This is both inspiring (in effort) and pathetic in response. The total is only $3,126. We shouldn't have to do this, but we do, and easily can. If you can spare $5, do it now. I hate the WMMA fighter nuthuggers, but if this were a male fighter in an org we'd even heard of (we've all heard of Jewels), this would be done by now.

Thanks Roxanne, I did more than most, but all I could. This happening is a travesty, they should pay her medical expenses. The fact that UG's response is so minimal disappoints me, but at least you did something, and some of us responded. Phone Post 3.0
Fuck you saying it's pathetic.

We aren't responsible Phone Post 3.0
Yep , we aren't responsible. Yet the response from MMA fans towards male MMA fighters is greater. Hell, it doesn't even have to be for fighters. If male MMA fighters ask for charitable donations to anything, it's done without question.. Good job though, debate the issue, when you could just donate $1 and shut up instead. I guess we know where you stand. Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 4:03 AM
xx72novaxx

i donated last night but was having trouble logging on here... Get well soon and thanks for the wars.
10/2/13 4:23 AM
Chromium
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Feelz Good - This thread, right now, has 17,577 views. If all those views translated to $1, this would be done. If people who have viewed this all donated $10, we'd be well over the goal by now. This is both inspiring (in effort) and pathetic in response. The total is only $3,126. We shouldn't have to do this, but we do, and easily can. If you can spare $5, do it now. I hate the WMMA fighter nuthuggers, but if this were a male fighter in an org we'd even heard of (we've all heard of Jewels), this would be done by now.

To be fair, 17,577 views != 17,577 people viewing. I donated $10 and have checked the thread at least 10 times. So far $3000 isn't a bad turnout.

When Haga is healthier, maybe Invicta can give her a prelim booking. I'd heard of Celine Haga because after having been basically a professional can she went on a win streak and started beating up people at Atomweight including former world #1 Naho Sugiyama, much to Jewel's dismay. So here was this woman with a 4-11 record who was suddenly ranked in the Top 10 in her division (now 5-12). Her win streak finally ended with the match that led to her injury against Sadae Numata, who apparently won on the judging criteria of being Japanese for the entire match.

Invicta wouldn't pay off her debt but she'd have a good time at least and they would never fuck her on medical bills.

10/2/13 7:34 AM
Ray Elbe

I think helping someone in need is one of the things that makes life worth living. It's up to each person to see where their heart leads them to do charity...but I do believe helping someone in need is an admirable cause Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 7:56 AM
Blazing Knees

She can make a down payment with the 3k and make payments right? I can't imagine a medical facility refusing treatment to save someones' eyeball with 3k in thier hands. I would just show up and say 'please help; Most medical professinals don't get in it for the money

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.