UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Renzo, why do you want to still fight?

9/30/13 10:28 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Earlier this month Renzo Gracie, appeared on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour and declared that he wants to fight in the UFC again.

“Believe it, there's nothing that I want to do more than to be back in the cage, to be back fighting," said Gracie as transcribed by Middleeasy. "I just love doing that. Life has been pushing me everywhere but in that direction, but now I'm getting so tired and frustrated with everything else that I'm going to just bury myself into a mat and train the whole day, and do what I love, which is training and fighting. For sure, I'll be fighting again. Man, I've just begun training again and I'm feeling good. I had a few problems in the family and now I got everything tuned up, everything is getting better. So I'm looking to be in top shape in three or four months from now, and from there I'll set up a date.”

Renzo runs the most successful martial arts academy in North America, and has countless affiliated schools that produce world champions in grappling, BJJ, and MMA. He is, by far, the most beloved member of the formidable Gracie family.

At the UFC 168 media day Sunday, UFC president Dana White questioned why Renzo would want to return at age 46.

"I have to ask Renzo Gracie why," said White as transcribed by MMAFighting. "Renzo, you've been around forever, you've accomplished so many things. You have the respect of the entire combat world in every country. I just don’t know why he wants to come back at his age and fight again."

"I mean, he lost badly to Matt Hughes, who was at the end of his career too."

Renzo may have answered the question, as captured in the documentary Renzo Gracie Legacy.

"I will die s----ing on my pants like everybody else, but knowing who I was, you know?" said Gracie. "Knowing for sure and truly who I was."

9/30/13 10:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Maldini2706
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't know how he can go on and on about people not having the heart to be a fighter and then ask Renzo a question like that. If ever someone personified the qualities Dana exholts it's Renzo. Phone Post
9/30/13 11:27 AM
xaeo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/30/13 11:35 AM
Ask him for a ciggeratte, Dana, I fucking dare you
9/30/13 11:44 AM
IsmokeCrack

Love me some Renzo but it's hard to find an easy fight in the UFC and I don't want to see another miller Saku.

What about the "shit just got real" guy? I wouldn't mind seeing that. Or a fringe 145er, at 170. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 11:48 AM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how about:

Renzo Gracie vs Takanori Gomi on a UFC Japan card?
9/30/13 11:51 AM
IsmokeCrack

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX - how about:

Gomi his as hard as a 85er. Don't feel like seeing Renzo get his head knocked off. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 12:01 PM
Mark Hunter
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana talks about Renzo like he knows him (ie, "you have the respect of the entire combat world in every country"), but then asks why Renzo wants to fight? It's probably the same traits that gave him the respect of the "entire combat world in every country."

Here's an idea: give him a fight with a legend (a Japanese legend is a good idea, IMO), and put it on a card in New Jersey. There is no chance you won't have a sold-out card (including me, from Miami). If he comes in sucking wind again . . . get rid of him. But you've gotta give him a fight, IMO.
9/30/13 12:02 PM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IsmokeCrack - 
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX - how about:

Gomi his as hard as a 85er. Don't feel like seeing Renzo get his head knocked off. Phone Post 3.0

Gomi has his troubles lately too. and Renzo is not a pussy, lets not treat him like one.
9/30/13 12:09 PM
pistolpete86

Renzo is a warrior, I would still like watching him fight Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 12:15 PM
Koga

True sportsmanship, Renzo asking Hughes for a hand up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlpDiXPZHQ

Saw Renzo a few months back, he is a ways off from 185 and his days at 170 are over - how about Chael at 185?

9/30/13 1:05 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too old. Cardio gone.
9/30/13 2:18 PM
ajjr0ller
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GreatCornholio -
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX - how about:

I'd like to see a match-up between him and any of the Japanese legends: Sakurai, Gomi, Uno, Sato, Sakuraba...
Bring back Genki Sudo for a fight against Renzo in Japan. Phone Post
9/30/13 3:25 PM
The Elastic Assassin
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To answer dana's question: because when renzo buttscoots out of bed in the morning and looks in the mirror he sees a man that wants to fight, has the skills to.fight and the will to prepare to fucking fight

I am 42...i too am feeling the call...i think i have a few left in me Phone Post
9/30/13 3:54 PM
Jason Reinhardt
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/30/13 4:01 PM
Way to go Renzo! I've always said, "fighters are the ones who decide when we are ready to stop" How would someone who enjoys Golf so much or any sport, feel if they were told never to pick up a golf club again? I use Golf, because so many enjoy it so much! It's a huge PASSION like fighting is to fighters. Or any sport one enjoys with all his/her heart. We all are gonna die someday. Why not go out on your sword? I just believe a true Warrior keeps going! Keeps fighting. Let the fighter be the one who decide. #And i'm a huge Dana White fan. but that's how I feel about it. For some, if we don't fight again, you will live the rest of your life with part of your soul missing.
9/30/13 6:54 PM
DarkHelmet

He was doing this when you were in your fathers nutsack Dana Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 7:28 PM
Glovegate

"I will die s----ing on my pants like everybody else, but knowing who I was, you know?" said Gracie. "Knowing for sure and truly who I was."

This is one of the most fucking amazing quotes I've ever read.

If I were Dana, I'd give him another fight on this alone.

10/1/13 12:09 AM
Bucephalus

Good article. A lot of interesting points that raise some deep and meaningful questions - like for instance, is it true that everyone will poop their pants when they die?
10/6/13 11:13 PM
Mark Hunter
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut -  I think Renzo doesnt respect MMA for what it is today. What I mean by that is the fact that he doesn't fight regularly, doesn't train with a top camp.

The days of fighting every 2-3yrs are over. I just don't see how he expects to have good results with that approach.

He's got bigger balls than anyone but I wish he took a different approach. Phone Post

Doesn't train with a top camp? I see your point . . . I mean, he would only have GSP, Weidman, and Frankie Edgar to train with. With shitty training partners like that, why even bother?
10/6/13 11:15 PM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/06/13 11:31 PM

smh, asking a Brazillian fighter why he still wants to fight, seriously get bent Dana.

I get you can only conceptualize money and accomplishment on paper becasue you never fought anywhere but when you dedicate your life so something and define yourself with it, you don't want to EVER STOP DOING IT.

All you see is a guy that lost to Hughes, that's all you ever seen in any of these fighters, to him that's just a part of history for him and he moves on and want's to do what gives him pleasure and exhiliration. The reporters have to stop asking him these stupid questions, it's clear he doesn't get what fighters think.

10/6/13 11:53 PM
BJ Penn Forever
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a side note, anyone think Renzo and Newton needed to have a third fight? They both won a spit over one another. That always screamed rubber match but it never happened.

Newton should come out of retirement and they could settle the score.
10/6/13 11:59 PM
pheonix5
603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You had me at spit and rubber. Make it happen Dana.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.