UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bisping 'devastated' by redetached retina

9/30/13 6:47 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Michael "The Count" Bisping appeared on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour, and detailed the eye injury that derailed his Manchester homecoming that was four years in the waiting.

"They said, ‘Yep, your retina is re-detached," said The Count. "Obviously I couldn't believe it. They said we need to operate ASAP. And I said, ‘Well I'm still fighting in four weeks, so you can't operate. Simple as that.' They said, 'You can't do that. You'll go blind.' I said, ‘I've got to fight in four weeks. Thousands of people have bought tickets, they're expecting me there.'"

Finally, at Bisping's insistence, doctors elected to take an alternative route.

Doctors surmised that they would be able to temporarily repair Bisping's eye by re-performing the surgery to attach the retina, then re-injecting the gel they had, in hindsight, taken out too soon. If successful, Bisping would regain portions of his vision and be free to fight in Manchester, albeit far from 100-percent.

However, during the second surgery, surgeons discovered an influx of scar tissue that had developed around the damaged retina. As a result, they were not only forced to cut away the scar tissue, but also remove a piece of Bisping's retina as well.

When Bisping awoke from under the knife, he learned the situation was far more dire than first expected. Best case scenario, it'd be at least three months before Bisping could even begin to think about exercising. Worse case, his career might be over.

"I was devastated... I was just completely in shock. This is who I am. This is what I do. It defines who I am as a person."

Luckily, doctors have since been encouraged by what they've seen from Bisping's recovery.

Now, under an exercise embargo for the foreseeable future, Bisping is confined to slow mountain hikes intertwined between frustrating days of inactivity. Nonetheless, the 34-year-old vows to clear this hurdle and come back stronger in 2014.

"To everyone involved in the fight, I whole heartedly apologize."

"As long as [my eye] heals well and I don't develop more scar tissue, it should be fine. I should be able to fight, but I've just got to take it easy. In hindsight, I was guilty of pushing it too far, too much too soon."

Read entire article...

9/30/13 7:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CRE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Realistically Mike shouldn't fight again after 2 detached retinas.
9/30/13 7:13 PM
Tweener

Shit - that's a horrible thing to hear. Hopefully it heals up. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 7:27 PM
The Fella
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its called Karma Mr.Bisping.

9/30/13 7:28 PM
GtheMVP

"Thousands of people have bought tickets, they're expecting me there."

You're an idiot Mike, but holy shit I respect the hell out of you, a true showman!!

Heal up, and I will def pay to watch you fight next time you're ready!
9/30/13 7:30 PM
Muay Tired
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a Bisping fan, but I wish him no ill will. Hope he recovers and is able to fight again.
9/30/13 7:30 PM
Nub

The Fella -

Yup Phone Post
9/30/13 7:31 PM
Granpa
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRE - Realistically Mike shouldn't fight again after 2 detached retinas.

Yup. I don't like the guy, but hate to see him go out like that. That said, he really should retire. 2 detached retinas is no joke, he's pretty much guaranteed to go blind if he fights again.
9/30/13 7:33 PM
shaqitup
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granpa - 

Yup. I don't like the guy, but hate to see him go out like that. That said, he really should retire. 2 detached retinas is no joke, he's pretty much guaranteed to go blind if he fights again.

he just has to avoid jon jones or jake shields, and since he can't fight himself he may be fine.

9/30/13 7:35 PM
3rdLion
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nub - 
The Fella -

Yup Phone Post

What has he done to deserve going blind?
9/30/13 7:38 PM
DirtyLickinsBrah
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he recovers....cant imagine what hes going thru.
Get well my friend!!! Phone Post
9/30/13 7:39 PM
cool hand Ed
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granpa -

I've never rooted for bisping. But I respect his fighting skills. Sorry Mike. Best of luck to you. Phone Post
9/30/13 7:41 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. Hate to tell anyone when to quit, but also hate to see anyone go blind...

9/30/13 7:41 PM
PrettyBoy
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't been the biggest fan of his, but I hope he recovers quickly and 100%.

Good vibes for you Bisping. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 7:54 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

pretty disturbing to read that, I hope he comes back in good enough shape to fight.
9/30/13 7:57 PM
Frames4Life

Nub -
The Fella -

Yup Phone Post
WTF?? Phone Post
9/30/13 8:18 PM
Choochy
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do not like Mike but this story fucking sucks.

I can't see him fighting again, hopefully he gets a UFC job though. He is a draw regardless of if you like or hate him. Phone Post
9/30/13 8:45 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Fella -

For what? Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 8:51 PM
athsportsnutrition
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Recovery Shakes for Combat Athletes
Damn, best of luck to Bisping! Sucks to have an injury as serious as this. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 8:56 PM
Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole

For what? How about him blatantly stabbing his fingers into Belchers eye that had recovered from retinal reattachment?

Karma a bitch. Glad it works how it does. Phone Post
9/30/13 9:02 PM
springfield
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate to hear this bad news.

Fighters suffer all types of long term injuries and risk a lot in training and in the fights. This is why I can't stand Dana talking shit about fighters even if the fighter might talk too much shit himself. Phone Post
9/30/13 9:05 PM
Frames4Life

Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - For what? How about him blatantly stabbing his fingers into Belchers eye that had recovered from retinal reattachment?

Karma a bitch. Glad it works how it does. Phone Post
The fight was over, it was in the bag , it makes no logical sense for him to do that.

It was obviously an accident. Phone Post
9/30/13 9:15 PM
Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole

Yes. The fight was over. He had won. And he still went after Belchers eye. It was a fucking scumbag move from a fighter with a history of being dirty and disrespectful. Typical limey hooligan behavior. Phone Post
9/30/13 9:36 PM
The Fella
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - 
Nub - 
The Fella -

Yup Phone Post

What has he done to deserve going blind?

Really?

Howd' that UFC fight go with Jorge Rivera?

Rivera vs. Bisping - ....Bisping grabbing fences ...spitting on Rivera....

.....what about his pre interviews to UFC 100 against HENDO.......

do I really need to dig that up......

keep voting me down ....cause I dont like Bisping....

but IF youd like I'll rehash History to refresh that memory about "KARMA"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/30/13 9:39 PM
The Fella

Edited: 09/30/13 9:40 PM

Since I got voted down so much ...most of you fellas must have forgot about Bisping's great sportsmanship against Jorge corner and Jorge......

Yeah! Fuck Bisping!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.