UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sergio Pettis Signs With the UFC, Debuts at UFC167

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/1/13 9:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Shope
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this may be too soon, but I hope not. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 9:56 AM
GregNoActionJackson
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's see how little brother does. I'm pulling for him Phone Post
10/1/13 9:59 AM
huggy bear
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC is Gona give him the mcgregor treatment and give him people that match up with him stylistically for his first 4-5 fights and if he does well then give him a high level wrestler. Pettis is only 20 and is far from his full potential. This is exciting news he has the potential be a star at 135 which that division desperately needs. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 10:10 AM
Combat Corner
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/01/13 10:12 AM

Here is the video from the fight over the weekend. I think all the "I hope its not to early" people back up for a minute an recognize that his career is being developed by smart people who probably know a little more about fighter development then you do.
10/1/13 10:11 AM
Combat Corner
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/01/13 10:12 AM
Double
10/1/13 10:37 AM
JStrongMMA
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He looks a lot like his brother, very active off of his back. Everyone should also take into account that he trains with Askren so his wrestling will only get better. I'm glad he made it to the big show.

10/1/13 10:41 AM
epwar
569 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/01/13 10:41 AM
He will fight in the division to 61.2 kg, which is the weight-cock
10/1/13 10:48 AM
The Loge
1088 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here -
VadimWhite - 135? Too bad.

His last fight has shown a huge flaw in a TDD department.
Guys like Brian Caraway, Mitch Gagnon, Chico Camus will take him down and defend all his submissions - let alone higher ranked fighters.
lol... So getting takedown = "a huge flaw in the TDD department" ?

And let's ignore the fact he then controlled Porter from his back and set him up for a beautiful kimura Phone Post 3.0
This and Porter is a legit threat on the ground! Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 1:02 PM
PrettyBoy
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will be great to see Sergio Pettis along with hopefully the other new faces of Holdsworth and Chris Beal coming into the UFC to shake things up. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 1:34 PM
FixedPartialArts

VadimWhite - 
showtime SNAPPED my toothpick - 
VadimWhite -
MMA Lives Here - 

Guys like Brian Caraway, Mitch Gagnon, Chico Camus will take him down and defend all his submissions - let alone higher ranked fighters.

And let's ignore the fact he then controlled Porter from his back and set him up for a beautiful kimura Phone Post 3.0

He got taken down multiple times.

And yeah, he controlled and submitted...the mighty Porter!
All the fighters I've mentioned have good offensive and defensive BJJ, they will not be controlled and they will not be submitted by Pettis.
Just like benson and Anthony huh ? Phone Post 3.0

Can you give me a name of a lower-tier fighter from the bush leagues, that dragged Anthony to the floor as easy as Porter did to Sergio?

Sherron Leggett and Alex Karalexis. Anthony got a questionable decision against Leggett after spending most of the fight on his back, and subbed Karalexis from the bottom after being taken down a few times.

FTR, I'm considerably higher on Anthony, but I also think Sergio will be very good, and against Porter he used sub threats to sweep, then eventually finish him from top.

You mention Caraway, but it's not like his wrestling is that good, and he's been subbed a couple times and Sergio could use the sweeps to get to top position.

Camus, who he won't fight BTW because he's at 125 and Sergio's teammates, has also been subbed, recently.

There are more ways to win than just gaining initial top position more readily. Sergio's brother has proven that all the way to a championship.

Anyways, I think you're overreacting to one fight like so many. Going back to his brother, like so many did to the Guida fight. Ala Anthony, Sergio looked overly excited in a big fight, it led him to over-committing to strikes, and being taken down. Sergio's wrestling is OK for the UFC, with good striking, and good submissions. That makes for a solid foundation already.
10/1/13 1:48 PM
AMartElbow

MMA Lives Here -

I love Pettis, but he does need to work on TDD. Don't know much about Porter but regardless Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 6:07 PM
newjack900
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love his talent and future prospects, I just hope they take their time with him, start him out with some fights that suit his strengths
10/1/13 6:46 PM
ANT_P1989
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CONGRATS SERGE!!! Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 6:49 PM
UGCTT_ConditFryedKampmannRare
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Gallagher -
KingofBJJ -

Oh great another brother brother UFC fighters.  I think that they may have much more class than the others at least.

Who pisssed in your corn flakes? Phone Post
I did :] Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 7:01 PM
NAAFS
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats Duke and Serg! Only the beginning Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 5:35 AM
Willo232

VadimWhite - 
Frank Gallagher - 
VadimWhite -
Combat Corner - 
Here is the video from the fight over the weekend. I think all the "I hope its not to early" people back up for a minute an recognize that his career is being developed by smart people who probably know a little more about fighter development then you do.

So by "smart developing" you mean not giving him someone, who can outwrestle AND outgrapple him?

Yeah, that's very smart. That's called "padded record", just like in boxing.

BTW, are those people also responsible for you losing your last fight in the first round and never coming back?
Those same people have handled Anthonys career, so there really is no reason to doubt them Phone Post

Anthony handled Anthony's career.
No one ever given him an easy opposition, and he spent enough time on his back during his WEC/UFC fights.

And all of his opponents struggled to put him on his back much more than this one. And they were better opponents than this one.

You do realise in that fight Serg was clearly letting himself get taken down to work for the sub, first takedown he fell right into rubber guard I believe and was looking for the sweep, and the second one he dropped into a guillotine.. Not making excuses just not like he was struggling to stop them and couldn't.
10/14/13 9:17 AM
disbeliever
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
lol @ weight cock
10/14/13 11:59 AM
tbi0904
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - I hope whoever he is fighting kicks his ass. Of course Uncle Dana will give him favorable matchups to actually have a set of brothers that are well rounded, versatile, and good for the "sport". Phone Post
Your butt hole was really burning when you wrote that, right? Chin up, big guy. It'll be ok. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.