UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson: I'll quit before fighting Lyoto, Jacare

10/2/13 10:10 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During a Q&A at the UFC 168 World Tour: Rio earlier this week, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva hardened his stance on not wanting to fight Brazilians. With Lyoto Machida and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza being strong contenders for the middleweight title, their names naturally came up.

"I’m a man with honor," said Silva, as transcribed by B/R. "I’d never fight Jacare or Lyoto. I’d even stop fighting just not to fight them."

"Jacare is a guy that has been doing a great job and can earn a title shot. Lyoto is a close friend, a great athlete, and we train together, just like Jacare."

"If we get to a point where we’d have to fight, I’d even give up the title."

Silva has a rematch with current UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman at UFC 168 on Dec 28.

10/2/13 10:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
936 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Uhhhh....those are two major players at 185, and if he wins against Weidman, he's gonna have to entertain those fights.

The "Brazilians not fighting each other" thing is dumb.

I have yet to hear a North American, Asian, or European fighter say that.

Love, Silva, but he gets the belt back, I want to see new fights for him with new opponents.
Koscheck fitch

Cormier cain Phone Post
10/2/13 11:01 AM
MasterofMartialArts
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed -
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee - 
Zed Wayne Zed - Uhhhh....those are two major players at 185, and if he wins against Weidman, he's gonna have to entertain those fights.

Love, Silva, but he gets the belt back, I want to see new fights for him with new opponents.
Koscheck fitch

Cormier cain Phone Post

Uhh, I know Silva has trained with boys Lyoto and Jacare, but I don't think it's an everyday sort of thing.

The AKA crew is just that, a crew.
That had nothing to do with nationality.

Silva makes these statements all the time.
He was not going to fight Weidman
Not going to give Sonnen a rematch.

I hope we see Silva vs one or both of these two in the future.

They may be friends, but not sure they are grinding everyday like the above-mentioned guys who all trained exclusively together. (Did....)
This is true, he makes these kinds of comments all the time. We will see what happens when it comes down to it.

Because I'm expecting him to get his belt back. Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 11:45 AM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
936 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed -
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee - 

Koscheck fitch

Cormier cain Phone Post

Uhh, I know Silva has trained with boys Lyoto and Jacare, but I don't think it's an everyday sort of thing.

The AKA crew is just that, a crew.
That had nothing to do with nationality.

Silva makes these statements all the time.
He was not going to fight Weidman
Not going to give Sonnen a rematch.

I hope we see Silva vs one or both of these two in the future.

They may be friends, but not sure they are grinding everyday like the above-mentioned guys who all trained exclusively together. (Did....)
Yea I see what your saying. Maybe they just good friends Phone Post
10/2/13 12:02 PM
UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva is king of trolling EVERYONE! Phone Post
10/2/13 12:18 PM
roperninja
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Me too Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 1:10 PM
Vizslarex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give up his title ? What title? Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 1:15 PM
Prepare2Die

I see. He must have a very close friendship with Chris Wideman that we don't know about. Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 1:17 PM
Obie1FaShobie
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

or maybe he's just getting old. it happens. i'll still watch anytime he steps in the cage. Phone Post
10/2/13 1:26 PM
Lazer MMA

Prepare2Die - I see. He must have a very close friendship with Chris Wideman that we don't know about. Phone Post 3.0

lol

At some point he said he JBJ were friends no?

Then he did just did not 'want to finish' other friends. Only the 'friend' did not concur.

"he was a friend of mine. It was against Thales Leites. We went until the last round because he’s a friend of mine and I respect him."
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/419463/The-fighter-Anderson-Silva-didnt-try-to-finish

Anderson Silva is no Superman, and we were never friends
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/8/31/3281221/thales-leites-anderson-silva-were-never-friends-ufc-nova-uniao
10/2/13 1:46 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's more about not wanting to fight his friends than Brazilians with them. Phone Post
10/2/13 1:49 PM
camozzi
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If your in this sport long enough, you can become friends with quite a few guys. This is annoying Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 1:54 PM
Stephen Holder

People always act like fighters should put their careers before friends and the bonds they've established with other fighters. In a perfect world we'd get to see Machida v. Silva and if there were a way to guarantee they both enter the fight with the intention of being competitive, it would probably be an absolutely amazing fight.

The fact of the matter is when two guys just dont want to fight eachother, its not a matter of getting them to agree to sign a contract but the fact is the fight will never live up to expectations. Assuming that if you could somehow get them to agree to fight eachother, expecting their fight to be competitve would be just like assuming that because a 'prime' Chuck v. Jon Jones might be competitive you could sign the fight tommorrow and anticipate an amazing fight. It wont work.

Even when drama causes a split between friends and they fight like we saw with Jones/Evans, I feel like there was still hesitation and the fight wasnt as good as it could have been.
10/2/13 2:02 PM
You're a Good Boy

After Anderson destroys weidman he should vacate the mw title and move up to 205. Jacare, lyoto, and Vitor all beat weidman too. Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 5:07 PM
Stephen Holder

^the fight wouldn't look anything like how you'd expect it to based on either fighter's fight styles or past fights. Even if you paid em both a billion dollars they would never go full strenght n engage. Its pretty fuckin pointless..
10/2/13 6:03 PM
The Sultan
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its not just about brazilians fighting each other. These are teammates. Phone Post
10/2/13 6:14 PM
Meohfumado
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand this, but then again I'm not a fighter...

But good, close friends in other sports compete against each other in other violent sports all the time. Even brothers go at it.

Keith and Wayne Primeau fought in the NHL. Marc Staal was given a concussion by his brother Eric in the NHL.

They just had an NFL game where guys who were best friends since grade school had to go up against one another, and the one was saying, "I'm going to light him up. I'll pick him up and dust him off afterwards because he's my boy. But I'm gonna' light him up."
10/2/13 6:31 PM
mrspeakershere

uhh, anderson you don't have the title to give buddy.
10/2/13 6:31 PM
mrspeakershere

uhh, anderson you don't have the title to give buddy.
10/2/13 6:43 PM
DatSpider
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/13 6:49 PM
I respect Anderson's decision and loyalty.However it doesn't mean I don't want Jacare and/or Machida vs Anderson, badly. As a fan of the sport first and foremost I hope one of them will challenge him like Vitor did.

One of many great things about The Spider is, he's such a Martial Arts nerd. He does respect the old values we know and love from movies and history. Anderson does take from many traditional martial arts, despite knowing the stigma of being one during the beginning of modern MMA ( gone now).The dude tries to do the impossible on a regular basis- not only for the fans but himself.
10/2/13 6:47 PM
Meohfumado
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I'm saying, is when it was tournament time, even Goku and Krillin threw down.
10/2/13 6:51 PM
DatSpider
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meohfumado - All I'm saying, is when it was tournament time, even Goku and Krillin threw down.

Lol, VU for the dragon ball reference.
10/2/13 6:56 PM
guardbr8kr

GSP can make some more GSP money with this fight.
10/2/13 7:19 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

He doesnt even have a title to give up, nor will he after the weidman hematch Phone Post 3.0
10/2/13 7:29 PM
NugInPuss

DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee -

Koscheck fitch

Cormier cain Phone Post
GSP - Canada

Rory Macdonald - Canada Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.