UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC Suspends Rothwell For Elevated Testosterone

10/3/13 3:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taz Styles
3158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/ufc-trumps-wisconsin-commission-suspends-ben-rothwell-for-elevated-testosterone

UFC trumps Wisconsin commission, suspends Ben Rothwell for elevated testosterone

Heavyweight Ben Rothwell today announced he is suspended for nine months for elevated levels of testosterone.

The suspension, however, was not handed down by the athletic commission that oversaw his most recent fight, but instead his promoter, the UFC.

In a statement released to MMAjunkie.com, Rothwell (33-9 MMA, 3-2 UFC) said he came back high for testosterone following his third-round TKO over Brandon Vera (12-7 MMA, 8-7 UFC) at UFC 164, which took place Aug. 31 at Milwaukee's Bradley Center.

Rothwell said the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, which oversaw the event, did not elect to suspend him, but rather issue an "administrative warning." Despite that warning, the UFC decided to bench him for nine months.

Rothwell explained the situation in his statement:

"Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone. This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

"I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

"After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn't think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

"I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends."
10/3/13 3:51 PM
The Butt Faced Assassin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gonna have to change his name from Big Ben
10/3/13 3:53 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
755 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vera curse Phone Post
10/3/13 3:54 PM
KhabibSmokedPatsStash
593 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit I beat Taz by two minutes! I deserve a reward!
10/3/13 3:56 PM
Taz Styles
3158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KhabibSmokedPatsStash - Shit I beat Taz by two minutes! I deserve a reward!

Voted you up.

10/3/13 3:56 PM
ChaosOverkill
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wisconsin commission doesn't think he cheated, but the UFC does... this is gonna get ugly

10/3/13 3:59 PM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His body probably naturally produced that extra testosterone when he hulked out at the end and finished Vera. But if he didn't do that, who knows what the judges would have done. Catch 22. Phone Post
10/3/13 4:07 PM
One&Done
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good....level the playing field and I guarantee Mark Hunt or Roy Nelson would be HW champ. The only guys playing it completely fair in that Division IMO.
10/3/13 4:11 PM
LEKS

That explains the Rage. Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 4:15 PM
John M
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What happened to the exemption?

10/3/13 4:15 PM
John M
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One&Done - Good....level the playing field and I guarantee Mark Hunt or Roy Nelson would be HW champ. The only guys playing it completely fair in that Division IMO.

Lol

10/3/13 4:16 PM
bonersaurus
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Vera's gonna get another loss changed to a NC because an opponent tested for something.

And probably escape getting cut Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 4:18 PM
The Mammoth
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit, Vera will be champ soon at this rate Phone Post
10/3/13 4:28 PM
Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is everyone cheating against Vera ? Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 4:38 PM
sincitydc
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bonersaurus -
Zed Wayne Zed - Vera's gonna get another loss changed to a NC because an opponent tested for something.

And probably escape getting cut Phone Post 3.0
That's what I was thinking. Man that's crazy. Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 4:47 PM
Card
2027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/3/13 4:49 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

man, how can that be, if he was tested every week?
10/3/13 4:52 PM
antifret

Roiding cheater.
10/3/13 4:55 PM
TheParrot
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IF YOU HAVE LOW TESTOSTERONE, YOU SHOULD FAIL THE T/E RATIO TEST.

10/3/13 4:57 PM
Tolstolobic

Card -

TRT at its finest? Phone Post
10/3/13 4:58 PM
subwrassler
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

everyone's looking for that unnatural edge
10/3/13 4:59 PM
TheHaunted2

Wont be a nc tho will it? Because its the comission that records the results of the fight and they saw no problem. Phone Post
10/3/13 5:01 PM
TheHaunted2

TheHaunted2 - Wont be a nc tho will it? Because its the comission that records the results of the fight and they saw no problem. Phone Post
Ahh read in full. Ye a nc maybe Phone Post
10/3/13 5:06 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vera got some of his biggest beatings by cheaters.
10/3/13 5:10 PM
pennviachoke
1119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damnit Ben Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.