UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roy 'Country' Nelson aims for ttle shot at hw, lhw

10/3/13 6:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Roy Nelson and Daniel Cormier fight in just over two weeks at UFC 166. Cormier is heading for 205, as he will not fight AKA teammate and UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Earlier this week, Nelson posted an image on his Facebook image that led many to speculate he, too, was heading for lightheavy.

Steph Daniels interviewed Nelson, who confirmed he is indeed dropping weight, and hopes for a title shot, at either heavyweight or light heavyweight.

"I figure that I'll get down to 205 faster than Daniel," said Nelson. "If I beat Daniel, wouldn't I get a title shot? My goal is just to beat Daniel. My goal is to fight the champ. Right now, Daniel is in front of me, so I'm trying to beat him...in everything he does. I'm hearing that if he beats me, he's supposed to get a title shot at 205; he gets to jump to the front of the line. I'm all about jumping to the front of the line. My mode of thinking is that he's number 2, and if I beat him, my next step after that would be to fight for the belt, in either division."

Read entire article...

10/3/13 6:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Letibleu
1714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

war country!!!!!

10/3/13 6:52 PM
MahatmaPetey
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The article says Cormier posted an image at the beginning. Should be Nelson. Phone Post
10/3/13 7:00 PM
Aleck911
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit please edit this shit before posting Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 7:02 PM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sexy Pictures, Click me!

War slim! 

10/3/13 7:05 PM
FanToFighter
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

May be one of the smartest things he has done in a while Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 7:07 PM
sycotik
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should be a wrecking ball at 205. Phone Post
10/3/13 7:07 PM
shaqitup
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/03/13 7:08 PM
Pitbull3744 - I enjoy watching Roy but damn is he annoying with the shit be says.

Bro Dana doesn't like you, you are not ever getting a title shot stop wondering things Phone Post 3.0

That's not even it tbh, he has no big wins.

His biggest might be a 3rd knockout loss in a row for crocop.

He hasn't beaten a guy who is consistently top 10, how can he argue for facing #1.

I get that he knocks people out, but the problem is none of them are contenders.

10/3/13 7:16 PM
CreepyCameOnMyAngel
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really want Roy to throw a spanner in the works with this fight. I'd love him to KO Cormier, drop to 205 and beat someone like Lil Nog (I love Nog), and then fight for #1 contendership. Phone Post
10/3/13 7:17 PM
sycotik
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup -
Pitbull3744 - I enjoy watching Roy but damn is he annoying with the shit be says.

Bro Dana doesn't like you, you are not ever getting a title shot stop wondering things Phone Post 3.0

He hasn't beaten a guy who is consistently top 10, how can he argue for facing #1.

I get that he knocks people out, but the problem is none of them are contenders.

No big wins? Come on now man. Granted he has not beat a current top three but look at who he has fought... one of the better resumes for is last 10 fights compared to other heavies. And it is not like he was knocked out either. If he lost, it was a decision. Phone Post
10/3/13 7:18 PM
smiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sycotik - He should be a wrecking ball at 205. Phone Post
I disagree I believe lhw would be a bad move for him, the guys would be too quick.

I wouldn't like his chances against jones, gustaffoson, Evans or Davis. Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 7:20 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
937 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sycotik -
shaqitup -

No big wins? Come on now man. Granted he has not beat a current top three but look at who he has fought... one of the better resumes for is last 10 fights compared to other heavies. And it is not like he was knocked out either. If he lost, it was a decision. Phone Post
Care to name said big wins?

He got beat down by miocic and werdum. Phone Post
10/3/13 7:51 PM
ufc98newb
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My feelings on Nelson getting a title shot are this: THe guy obviously does not deserve it on merit. Everytime he has faced a top 5 guy, he has gotten squashed. On the other hand, when there are not any true no.1 contenders lined up, I don't find anything wrong with going the boxing route of one good matchup, one serious matchup, than a squash match. Wouldn't be such a bad deal to see a guy like Nelson come off beating 3 non top ten guys and getting a title match just to keep guys busy. I don't see that to be the case right now, as I think Werdum needs to get a shot, asap. but there are situations that call for such matchups, imo. 

10/3/13 8:14 PM
buvaiser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A bit too late in his career. Should have done this 6 yrs ago
10/3/13 8:27 PM
sycotik

DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee -
sycotik -
shaqitup -

Sure

Schaub
Struve
Mirko
Mittrione
Kongo
Herman

All first round knockouts in the first round cept crocop.

All that went to a decision....

Mir
Werdum
Mir
JDS

Not bad my friend. Phone Post
10/3/13 8:32 PM
BeatonHauff
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's coming off a one sided beat down from someone who isn't even in the top 10. That fight really showed what he doesn't have much more than a right hand. That being said, it wasn't fair of DC to keep pushing for this fight, he obviously think fits going to be an easy W. Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 8:32 PM
Mr Sizzzz
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We get it Roy Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 9:12 PM
TX_432
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's coming off a loss the words title shot shouldn't even be in his vocabulary. Phone Post
10/3/13 9:17 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
937 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sycotik -
sycotik -
shaqitup -

Sure

Schaub
Struve
Mirko
Mittrione
Kongo
Herman

Mir
Werdum
Mir
JDS

Those wins minus struve weren't top 10 at the time.

I like roy as well but the decisions you mentioned he got the shit beat out of him, only his chin saved him. Phone Post
10/3/13 9:49 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sycotik -
sycotik -
shaqitup -

Sure

Schaub
Struve
Mirko
Mittrione
Kongo
Herman

Mir
Werdum
Mir
JDS

Those wins minus struve weren't top 10 at the time.

I like roy as well but the decisions you mentioned he got the shit beat out of him, only his chin saved him. Phone Post
Half of those wins couldn't cut and are no longer in the UFC . Roy will never get a title shot.

He's the Bisping of heavyweight. Phone Post 3.0
10/3/13 10:14 PM
kyle223
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never thought I would be a fan of Big Country after seeing him on TUF, but I've really grown to like him. He doesn't give a shit what people think about him, he goes out there and puts on a hell of a show, and he's got possibly the best chin in the UFC. If he really committed himself to a healthy diet and came to a fight in shape, he'd be an even better fighter.

He gets a lot of shit for losing when it matters most (Mir, Dos Santos) but he's always one punch away from ending a fight. Anyone that can take that beating from JDS is a tough fucking dude.

Cormier will probably wrestlefuck him this fight, but maybe Roy will at least make it interesting and go for some subs or land a couple nice shots.
10/3/13 10:15 PM
Kirik
2025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
MahatmaPetey -  The article says Cormier posted an image at the beginning. Should be Nelson. Phone Post

With Chris away on his honeymoon, I have twice the workload, and am making his errors for him, too, apparently. Apologies for that.

10/3/13 10:24 PM
SickEyeDiaz
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a fan favorite. More fans = more PPV buys. 

If he were to beat the right guys (a big IF), he would certainly get a title shot. Dana's not going to let his salty feelings toward a fighter get in the way of $$$.

10/3/13 10:31 PM
whitejoe
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how skinny Roys speed and movement will differ from fat Roys. Phone Post
10/3/13 10:32 PM
titoscared
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtf I don't wanna see Big Country wit a 6 pack

Whats he gonna rub when he wins

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.