UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Volkov vs Minakov HW Title Fight @ Bellator 109

10/4/13 3:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/alexander-volkov-defends-heavyweight-belt-vs-vitaly-minakov-at-bellator-109

Nearly a year after winning Bellator's vacant heavyweight title, Alexander Volkov has a date for the first defense of his belt.

Volkov (19-3 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) will headline Bellator 109 in November against fellow Russian and unbeaten tournament winner Vitaly Minakov (12-0 MMA, 3-0 BMMA). Bellator officials announced the bout on Friday.

Bellator 109 takes place Nov. 22 at Sands Event Center in Bethlehem, Pa. The main card will air on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com. On Thursday, MMAjunkie.com was first to report the card's first fight, which will feature the unretired Matthew Riddle against an opponent still to be named. Tickets for the event already are on sale.

In addition, Bellator officials said the event will feature a pair of Season 9 tournament finals. Already likely for one of those spots is the final of the lightweight tourney. The two other Season 9 tournament divisions that don't have announced dates for the finals are at bantamweight and heavyweight. Tonight's Bellator 102 features the heavyweight tourney semifinals.

Volkov beat Richard Hale by unanimous decision in December 2012 to win the vacant heavyweight title after previous champ Cole Konrad retired after holding the belt for nearly two years. That win wrapped up the Season 7 tournament title for him after beating Brett Rogers in the opening round and stopping Vinicius Queiroz in the second round of the semifinals.

Volkov will go into the fight with a 10-fight winning streak. Before signing with Bellator in 2012, all his wins came in his home country of Russia.

Minakov debuted with the promotion at Bellator 79, stopping Vladimir Starcencov in the second round. He then got a spot in the 2013 "Summer Series" four-man heavyweight tournament, where he stopped Ron Sparks in just 32 seconds at Bellator 96, then stopped Ryan Martinez in the third round at Bellator 97 to punch his ticket to the title fight against Volkov.
10/4/13 3:16 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Minakov!
10/4/13 3:20 PM
sincitydc
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now this is a Bellator fight I can get excited for Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 3:27 PM
RearNakedToke
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nikolai is gonna take it I think. Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 3:27 PM
UGCTT Captain America
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sincitydc - Now this is a Bellator fight I can get excited for Phone Post 3.0
Yes! Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 3:29 PM
Tomato Can
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Volkov will retain. Minakov didn't impress me against Martinez.
10/4/13 3:52 PM
minotauro11
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking Volkov takes this but I can't wait to see it. Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 4:55 PM
Haulport

Tomato Can - I think Volkov will retain. Minakov didn't impress me against Martinez.

Agreed.

I was big on Minakov but his fight against Martinez really made me smh. Martinez is a TOUGH sob and has a lot more skill than most give him credit for, but Minakov gassed, was sloppy before he gassed and often times looked cluesless. I think Vitaly beats him pretty easily.
10/4/13 5:09 PM
Chris27

Haulport - 
Tomato Can - I think Volkov will retain. Minakov didn't impress me against Martinez.

Agreed.

I was big on Minakov but his fight against Martinez really made me smh. Martinez is a TOUGH sob and has a lot more skill than most give him credit for, but Minakov gassed, was sloppy before he gassed and often times looked cluesless. I think Vitaly beats him pretty easily.

You mean you think Volkov beats him easily?

10/4/13 5:41 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

RearNakedToke - Nikolai is gonna take it I think. Phone Post 3.0
Lol. Phone Post
10/4/13 6:31 PM
Bobby Lupo
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting that USA chant as soon as the bell rings. Bethlehem, PA will join in
10/18/13 11:13 PM
FETT_TFK Captain America UGCTT
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
RearNakedToke - Nikolai is gonna take it I think. Phone Post 3.0
Lol. Phone Post
Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.