UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TUF Women's fights more popular than mens

10/4/13 3:25 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

No one in the MMA media knows more about viewership of MMA content than MMAFighting's Dave Meltzer. In his latest piece, he points out that on the first coed season on TUF, the women's fights are more popular than the mens.

There has been an up-and-down pattern in the ratings. As in, the week of a women's fight, the audience is up. The two women's fights, airing on Sept. 12 and Sept. 26, did 870,000 and 778,000 viewers live. The men's fights on Sept. 19 and Oct. 3 did 639,000 and 640,000.

While the live ratings are down with the move to Fox Sports 1, most weeks it has been the most watched sports event on television for the night, particularly in the target Male 18-49 demographic. Perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of the ratings is, even though the show is replayed multiple times per week in prime time on the station, the DVR viewership of the initial Wednesday night broadcasts has been the big surprise.

Viewership has increased anywhere from 32 percent to 37 percent from the initial reports when you factor in people who watched the show via DVR between Thursday and Saturday. For example, the Sept. 26 show, the most recent to have DVR numbers for, did an additional 272,000 viewers of the initial airing, pushing total viewership to 1.05 million.

Read entire article...

Wht about you? Are you more interested in the womens' fights than the mens'?

10/4/13 4:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ender852
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm more interested in the women fights but I watch them both. Phone Post
10/4/13 4:32 PM
DiscoNfrno
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Womens

10/4/13 4:34 PM
Acidic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watched only one episode where they had to fight to get into the house and dont remember any of the men; however i remember almost all the women. So it is true from my prespective.

The women seem to all come from different backgrounds and i guess that forms a more interesting story then the typical male one we've been seeing for the past couple years.
10/4/13 4:49 PM
Metafour

I think its more for the novelty of it being something different. Its no different than the spike of interest in MMA when it went mainstream. As that initial interest seems to have died down a bit I suspect the interest in womens fights will also at some point in the near future. Phone Post
10/4/13 4:50 PM
forrestfan
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seems like more talent on the women's side since it's their first shot. quite a few long time vets.
10/4/13 4:50 PM
bjws

This doesn't surprise me at all. The women (at least right now) have the better, more entertaining fights.

I haven't watched much Invicta but overall I'd say women on average have more entertaining fights from the ones I have seen over the years. I imagine it is for a number of reasons including
- They have more to prove
- There are less fighters
- They are improving very fast vs the men
- They are all true fighters
- Not much of a wrestling program for women in university
10/4/13 4:51 PM
knockoutfighter

I do not like watching these girls get beat up. Their skill level is so far behind too, its hard to watch! Phone Post
10/4/13 4:54 PM
Domingo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guys don't seem to have any standouts in terms of style, skills, or even personality. The winner is likely to disappear into obscurity again.
On the other hand, the women are in a pool of only a dozen competitors and they're already the top of the food chain. The winner will likely be in a title fight almost immediately. Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 4:55 PM
knockoutfighter

forrestfan - seems like more talent on the women's side since it's their first shot. quite a few long time vets.
But look at Roxanne who is a 10 year veteran of WMMA. Her stand up striking is still absolutely horrendous!

I say this all the time and I will say it again.

With striking you either HAVE it or you DON'T. I love Roxanne but she's the perfect example of training striking for many years and she still sucks.

Unlike BJJ, you either have striking ability or you don't, IMHO. Phone Post
10/4/13 4:59 PM
ender852
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ufc and fox fucked up, they should have done an all women show and put it primetime on fox. They would get MASSIVE ratings and I bet it would bring in like 1.5 mil new casual fans that would increase viewership of the free fox fight cards and also would gain some payperview buys, like 200-400k bump in payperview sales with the influx of new fans. Phone Post
10/4/13 5:19 PM
FETT_DiscipleDojo
571 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All women's show would've been MUCH more compelling, I have to admit. I can name almost all the girls on the show...but don't think I could name any of the guys at this point, and I watch every week. Props to the guys getting in there and giving it their all, but the ladies are more interesting IMO.

10/4/13 5:25 PM
Domingo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something to consider is that the evolution of women’s MMA is about 10-15 years behind. Most of the girls were only dabbling in this on the side. There isn’t a huge talent pool. The base sports of wrestling, muay thai, and boxing aren’t widespread among women either. Most of the good fighters tend to be the rare ones that excelled at one of those disciplines and/or BJJ.

You’re seeing things evolve just like MMA did when Zuffa took it to the big time. That’s compelling. You’re already seeing the “old guard” fighters dropping like flies, too. It’s kind of sad because they peaked at the wrong time.

Are things a little sloppy? Sure. Sometimes that’s half the fun. The early UFC’s were, but they were still compelling as a result. These women could end up being the next Forrest or Diego...or at least the next Don Frye, Keith Hackney, or Ken Shamrock.
10/4/13 5:40 PM
Siscio

Its because WMMA is what MMA used to be like in the "dark ages" back in the day. The technique isnt all that refined but they fuckin go at it

They are vicious! I love it
10/4/13 6:50 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The female talent is very interesting, you see vets and very talented fighters, that boxing champion chick impressed me.

The female talent pool is less diluted, kind of like on TUF 1 with the guys.
10/4/13 7:09 PM
pureincognito

The women fights have been awful. I had to turn the Roxanne fight off and cringe just because it was so bad.

The British guy has talent though.
10/4/13 7:39 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd definitely say the women are more interesting prospects.

10/4/13 7:44 PM
Korpiklaani

women have been more exciting and just as skilled as men for years

insecure guys that dont like women fighting are sure missing alot of great battles
10/4/13 7:46 PM
MickColins
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The women aren't afraid to lose. They go all out. Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 7:51 PM
rufus

Korpiklaani - women have been more exciting and just as skilled as men for years

insecure guys that dont like women fighting are sure missing alot of great battles
Oh, Jesus Christ. LOL... Phone Post
10/4/13 7:53 PM
ChaosOverkill
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People know these are the top 135lbers in the sport give or take a few. Tuf Men at this point are... not amazing at this point. So naturally there should be more intrigue about the quality that can come in and compete, because of most of these girls even the ones who lose liek Shayna are gonna get signed

10/4/13 8:17 PM
BRZ

It also doesn't help that the men are 135 fighters. Had they been like MW or higher maybe some people would take an interest. A lot of people don't like the little guys as much as bigger guys.

Plus the women are new right now to the UFC so people probably take more interest. Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 8:23 PM
Rowtheboat

BRZ - It also doesn't help that the men are 135 fighters. Had they been like MW or higher maybe some people would take an interest. A lot of people don't like the little guys as much as bigger guys.

Plus the women are new right now to the UFC so people probably take more interest. Phone Post 3.0

TUF 14 had great ratings and that was 135/145. The girls are just new and it's their first season. Their episodes have been better promoted to
10/4/13 8:35 PM
ChaosOverkill
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - The women aren't afraid to lose. They go all out. Phone Post 3.0

also this, Roster ain't packed yet.

10/4/13 8:43 PM
B_Goetz

Two data points cannot form a trend.

/thread

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.